#1 Edited by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

From my blog:

No Caption Provided

I watched this again since my friend rented it for no readily apparent reason. Like many others I saw this and was immediately disappointed after the first go-around; however 8 years later with a less scornful eye I somehow managed to find enjoyment out of the film. Many will remember the infamous “I’m the Juggernaut, Bitch” scene as the one highlight of the movie, and it still is; however the rest of the movie sort of follows that accord. This movie just doesn’t give a single fuck, much like a Roland Emmerich disaster movie.

Major characters get killed off randomly, hundreds of civilians get murdered; and in general it’s just a ludicrous action movie. The movie’s not horrifically awful like Batman and Robin or anything though, it really has some interesting scenes and is toying with themes far above it that could have worked in a better film. Since we're unlikely to see Phoenix in anything for a solid 15-30 years I'd say this gives the best approximation of how ridiculous that plot was in the original series. The CGI holds up pretty well so provided you’re up for a silly big budget action film I would recommend it.

Perhaps the film’s most egregious error is not allowing Wolverine to say “Bub,” because as Steve Blum fans know Bub is the height of all Wolverine discourse. However in the absence of Bub we get the disposal of asshole Cyclops, terribly acted Mystique, and Jean Luc Picard who’s obviously too good for this movie (Gandalf was not so fortunate). There’s a certain charm about the absurdity of the film reminiscent of Independence Day, while it doesn’t hold up quite so well as that masterpiece it doesn’t deserve the amount of disdain that it still has to this day.

Far from a formulaic Super Hero movie, this film strives to have as many explosions and B romance plots as possible. Ellen Page, the matriarch of female video game characters, is even in this film at the ripe old age of 19. Vinnie Jones plays Juggernaut flawlessly, and pretty much everyone else sucks to one degree or another; but for some reason it kind of works anyway. It’s not quite as baffling how this got through production, this has all the charm of a 90’s action movie minus Bill Paxton. Keeping in mind how horrible most Super Hero movies were in that decade this one towers over them as the true ascendant heir to the 90’s.

#2 Edited by CornBREDX (7336 posts) -

I like that they are ignoring this movie in the newest film, but in The Wolverine they still seem to be accepting the Phoenix saga has happened. So they are giving mixed feelings on whether or not they still consider this one canon.

I hated this movie. They did certain things right, and other things so wrong it was hard to forgive. It wouldn't have been hard for them to follow the comics for certain things. It would have achieved the same results they seemed to be going for, and been far more effective.

#3 Posted by csl316 (14807 posts) -

Oh god, this movie existed.

As someone that found Days of Future Past to be a huge disappointment, I'm kind of interested to see what my reaction would be now post-MCU.

#4 Posted by FifiChiaPet (48 posts) -

@cornbredx: They didn't ignore this movie with Days of Future Past, they fixed it.

*broad plot spoilers*

They used time travel to take Wolverine from Last Stand universe to go back in time and save the future--which made a much more hopeful setting for future movies. Basically the newest movie used a similar conceit to Star Trek 11 and at least one or two Doctor Who episodes.

#5 Edited by CornBREDX (7336 posts) -
#6 Posted by mbradley1992 (590 posts) -

@fifichiapet: No, they ERASED it. They set the slate clean to be able to now go back to the modern day and rewrite over the bad trilogy movies.

#7 Posted by spraynardtatum (4384 posts) -

This is one of my least favorite movies of all time. It's so bad.

#8 Posted by emfromthesea (2261 posts) -

@fifichiapet: Then how was Professor X alive in the future?

He transferred his consciousness into his twin brother, or something. There's an quick comment in Last Stand that makes the implication.

#9 Posted by CornBREDX (7336 posts) -
#10 Posted by emfromthesea (2261 posts) -
#11 Edited by CornBREDX (7336 posts) -

@sunbrozak: It didn't happen.

Let me count the ways:

1. Professor X would never do that! Ever. He very much believes and understands that humans require free will to function. If he did that then the real person would be trapped inside his own mind in a waking nightmare. Professor X would never do that to anyone let alone a "twin brother."

2. If he did do that he would find a way to allow the other consciousness to still exist so he would appear to suffer from multiple personality disorder.

3. The other person wouldn't be paralyzed exactly the same way. He wouldn't be in a wheel chair in the future.

4. Probably the most important part. He doesn't have a twin brother. He's an only child. This is made clear in XMen first class (if we want to stick to this movies canon, I don't remember about the comics- pretty sure he didn't though). It's why he makes such a strong connection to Raven (on top of the fact that he didn't have very good parents).

It never happened. That's nonsense. I can't believe that without proof and even if it did it still doesn't appear to be followed in Days of Future Past. I don't believe it did happen, though. That's insanity!

#12 Posted by brodywb (210 posts) -

@cornbredx: I can't link this from my iPad, but here is the scene from the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkn3KYwmtc

#13 Edited by CornBREDX (7336 posts) -

@brodywb: Ya, that movie is so stupid it can't even follow reality.

It still doesn't suggest they didn't ignore it in Days of Future Past, but then again Days of future past made up bullshit about how he can walk because he lost his powers so (Edit: I know, the explanation for why he lost his powers is more intricate than that, but it's stupid and does have a connection to why he can walk after becoming paralyzed)... they obviously weren't following logic.

I don't know why I still watch these movies. God dammit.

#14 Posted by Sterling (4134 posts) -

I've never seen this movie.

#15 Posted by CornBREDX (7336 posts) -

@brodywb: This is how it makes me feel (for a good laugh, don't think I'm a psycho =P )

Loading Video...

#16 Posted by Morningstar (2447 posts) -

I watched it again a month or so ago, and I like it. It's not great, but it's good. I only wish Magneto had gone more nuts.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3595 posts) -

As a fan of the X-Men comics this film hurts my soul

#18 Posted by development (3130 posts) -

@cornbredx: Hm. I never actually listened well to what she was saying in that scene, but now that I do, she was actually making a valid point.

Also, this movie was horrible. This had more unearned death scenes than LOST.

#19 Posted by CornBREDX (7336 posts) -

@development: Ya, she made a valid point in the most insane way possible.

Props to Kathy Bates. Such a great actress that understands layers. =)

#20 Posted by Justin258 (15432 posts) -

So I take it nobody saw that Origins Wolverine movie? The Last Stand is a masterpiece in comparison. Anything bad you can say about The Last Stand just seems like nitpicking in comparison.

#21 Edited by Justin258 (15432 posts) -

So I take it nobody saw that Origins Wolverine movie? The Last Stand is a masterpiece in comparison. Anything bad you can say about The Last Stand just seems like nitpicking in comparison.

#22 Posted by Veektarius (6382 posts) -

The Last Stand would have been okay if it didn't have ramifications for other movies. The main thing I remember being offended by about it was that Magneto was reduced to a mustache-twirler, throwing his followers away against a firing line, abandoning Mystique, etc.

#23 Edited by Corevi (6796 posts) -
@believer258 said:

The scene where he's checking out his claws in the bathroom has the worst special effects I've ever seen, and I watch bad low budget movies on a regular basis. It makes the flying scenes in Pumaman look good.

No Caption Provided

#24 Posted by wjb (2123 posts) -

The poster's as bad as the movie.

"Really, Anna Paquin? That's the face you're going with? God this movie's going to suck."

#25 Edited by Jeust (11739 posts) -

Phoenix man, Phoenix.

#26 Edited by emfromthesea (2261 posts) -

I'd be interested to rewatch the comic book movies that came directly before and after The Dark Knight. You can still see the Dark Knight influence in many of the comic book films released today.

Oh wait, Spider-Man 3 might have been the last comic book movie before The Dark Knight. Ouch.

#27 Posted by FrostyRyan (2792 posts) -

I will always be a defender of this and Spider-man 3 til the day I die.

X3 is a bad movie. Spider-man 3 is a messy but competent movie, at least on the technical side.

I enjoy both though.

#28 Edited by CornBREDX (7336 posts) -

@believer258: That movie never happened (yes I saw it, shut up =P )

@corevi: This might or might not break your brain, too. That movie made the most money of all the XMen based films.

#29 Posted by Ryagan (43 posts) -

I will always be a defender of this and Spider-man 3 til the day I die.

X3 is a bad movie. Spider-man 3 is a messy but competent movie, at least on the technical side.

I enjoy both though.

I kind of agree. I can't really defend both as great movies, but they are pretty entertaining.

#30 Posted by Justin258 (15432 posts) -

@believer258: That movie never happened (yes I saw it, shut up =P )

@corevi: This might or might not break your brain, too. That movie made the most money of all the XMen based films.

That Origins pile of crap made more money than any other X-Men movie? Fuck. That's terrible.

The Last Stand is kinda just a forgettable bad movie as far as I'm concerned. I haven't seen it in a while and I don't care to watch it again. Nothing in it is as bad as that part of Spider-Man 3 where Tobey Maguire goes emo or whatever (although I find that equal parts painful and hilarious).

I don't often find myself actively disliking movies but that Origins movie is just so damn terrible, from top to bottom.

I've seen First Class and I think it's pretty good, I've seen parts of that other Wolverine movie (confusing titles) that takes place in Japan, but I haven't seen Days of Future Past or whatever and I don't really care to. I don't know, this franchise has a really cool premise but it has never really done anything truly impressive with it in the movies. I don't know about the comics or the TV shows, I never watched them.

#31 Posted by TheHT (15687 posts) -

I saw it in theatres and remember liking it. Characters dying everywhere, it was nuts.

As far as I was concerned, none of those movies were the X-Men movies I'd wanted anyways, so fuck it.

#32 Posted by fisk0 (6768 posts) -

I saw it a couple of years ago and rather enjoyed it. It's dumb, but all these movies are.

#33 Posted by CornBREDX (7336 posts) -

@believer258: For what it's worth I thoughts days of future past was alright. It's not as good as first class, and there's some dumb stuff in it, but it's alright. I don't know. Some people didn't like it, though, so I guess take that for what it's worth.

And ya. The Wolverine was ok if only because it was probably the most (comic book) accurate film they've made so far. Most of what happens in that is what I remember from the comic and I thought it was pretty good.

The reason The Last Stand bothers me so much is how much they get wrong that they didn't have to. If they had followed the comic more that particular saga is actually very interesting and would have had similar things happen that they were going for.

I try to ignore Origins if only because it takes Gambit and shits on him so much that it's like a slap in the face of anyone that likes the character. The movie is heinous in so many ways (what it does to deadpool is unforgivable too). Actually everything about that movie is bad, but the thing with Gambit is the worst for me. Fuck that movie.

#34 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

Here's something interesting: the CGI looks better in the Last Stand than it does in First Class.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
#35 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (741 posts) -

It may not be the best film in the series, but it's a hell of a lot better than Origins.

I did like this line quite a bit though:

"Charles Xavier did more for mutants than you will ever know."

#36 Posted by dudeglove (13538 posts) -

Wait, which one is Ellen Page and which one is Jennifer Lawrence?

#37 Posted by The_Patriarch (302 posts) -

What? No it didnt. It made less money than most of them. Only beat the first one and First Class.

#39 Edited by Corevi (6796 posts) -
@dudeglove said:

Wait, which one is Ellen Page and which one is Jennifer Lawrence?

Ellen Page is Kitty Pride/Shadowcat and Jennifer Lawrence is Mystique (but only in First Class and Days of Future Past).

#40 Edited by CornBREDX (7336 posts) -

@the_patriarch: Oh, your right. I was thinking of Last stand (Pre-Days of futures past which I only today learned made the most now by almost double).

#41 Posted by monetarydread (2869 posts) -

I just watched Hercules and I really hope that Brett Ratner dies slowly in a fire. I have had more enjoyment watching Uwe Boll films than I have watching X-Men: TLS, Hercules, the Rush Hour trilogy, or Red Dragon (arguably his best film... ick!).

#42 Posted by pyromagnestir (4505 posts) -

The one time I saw Last Stand I came away genuinely hating it, but the one time I saw that Wolverine movie I was just bored. Maybe Last Stand was so atrocious that it blunted my ability to be riled up by an X-men movie or something?

#43 Edited by CornBREDX (7336 posts) -

@monetarydread: Red Dragon is fine, I like that movie. Otherwise I agree. I actually rewatched the original Rush Hour recently and couldn't stand it. I don't know why. I loved it at the time, but it does not hold up. At all. It's awful now.

#44 Posted by Vonocourt (2196 posts) -

@wjb: I got that reference.

But yeah, don't remember much of this movie. Except that Pre-Juno Ellen Page was in it, Wolverine yelled "NOOOO" after deliberately performing the act that cause him to say "NOOOO,"and my Dad took me to see it in theaters when my Mom took herself and the rest of my siblings up to "Georgia" for a week.

#45 Posted by notnert427 (2124 posts) -

X3 is not a good movie, but it had its moments. I enjoyed the opening scene with the Jean Grey meet-and-greet. I also thought Professor X's "death" was well-done for the most part. And I really enjoyed the last scene, when a seemingly powerless, geriatric Magneto was playing chess by himself.

Let's face it; even the "good" X-Men films aren't that great. Most of them are enjoyable enough, but even X2, which I think is easily the best in the series and a movie that I really like overall, features one of the worst scenes ever filmed. In other words, it's not that hard to nitpick them if you really want to.

Also, I thought Red Dragon was actually pretty good, and the Rush Hour movies were fun at the time, but definitely don't hold up now.

#46 Edited by cornfed40 (593 posts) -

@notnert427:

What scene are you refering too? The link in your post goes to a scene from the first X-Men movie.

#47 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -

Ah yes, another Brett Ratner "classic". To this day I have no idea how he got the cast for Red Dragon. Luckily I got to see Manhunter before I saw Red Dragon which in my opinion is the better adaptation of the book.

#48 Edited by notnert427 (2124 posts) -

@notnert427:

What scene are you refering too? The link in your post goes to a scene from the first X-Men movie.

Ah, you're right. I'm getting my X-Men movies mixed up. My memory has gone to shit.