• 68 results
sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By sublime

Poll So I moved from Texas to Colorado... (304 votes)

Snow's sick! 63%
Snow sucks! 37%

and it's starting to snow heavy. it's ridiculous to me the amount of concern i can have while driving around, as i saw a lot more people get into accidents than i ever had in texas when it was raining (and believe me, texans can fuck up hardcore in the rain). it's starting to snow again outside and it's very nice to look at, but what do you think? i've only lived in this kind of climate for a little bit and i can appreciate it regardless of whether i have to shovel it to get to work (which i had to!). my family loves the pictures, but is snow only really admired when you're not having to experience a lot of it?

• 
s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

You can get sick if it hardcore. But then it can catch you by surprise and be charming and nostalgic at time. If you live in a city it gets super gross though. It takes a lot of practice to get good at driving in the snow so take it super slow until you're more confident.

sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sublime
@s10129107 said:

You can get sick if it hardcore. But then it can catch you by surprise and be charming and nostalgic at time. If you live in a city it gets super gross though. It takes a lot of practice to get good at driving in the snow so take it super slow until you're more confident.

i appreciate the word of caution. i work on a mountain for skiing/snowboarding and it's fun listening to people get stoked about the fresh powder that lands while they ride, but i understand there's a dangerous side to it when you're driving home on snowy roads that lay beside steep drops.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I live in Boston. Snow sucks.

sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Boston. Snow sucks.

my girlfriend's grandma (who has lived here for a long time, but is also heavily texan) agrees on that and i can understand why. people would reply to pictures of the snow with 'oh, that's beautiful!' and 'i'd love to curl up in front of the fireplace and watch it fall' but, as she says, it's not like we can stop existing and appreciate it. we have to go to work and school with the snow and sometimes that's a pain in the ass.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snow sucks. Nothing worse than getting stuck in traffic for over an hour on the way to work while all the while attempting to not skid into anyone due to the snow and ice... on a route that usually takes 20 minutes.

Other people I know who normally have a 45 minute drive can take 3 hours to get to work.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Snow certainly has moments where it can be appreciated, but in excess it really sucks. I enjoy a nice a 1-2 inch snow shower that provides nice looking landscapes without being too inconvenient, but the 10 feet of snow in a six week period we got here in Boston last winter was brutal.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By NeverGameOver

I just moved back into Boston this past summer but last winter I was living on the south shore of Massachusetts and I took the commuter rail (train) into work every day. During a normal day that involved a 45 minute train ride each way. But pretty much every single day from 1/30 through April of last year it took a full 2.5-3 hours EACH WAY (trains were often cancelled and always delayed, and then once you got on board, they would randomly break down for an hour with no explanation whatsoever. And this wasn't "every so often." It literally happened every single day.). So I was commuting for 5-6 hours literally every single day because of snow.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By monetarydread

@sublime said:
@s10129107 said:

i appreciate the word of caution. i work on a mountain for skiing/snowboarding and it's fun listening to people get stoked about the fresh powder that lands while they ride, but i understand there's a dangerous side to it when you're driving home on snowy roads that lay beside steep drops.

Awesome... I was a ski bum for a decade and a bit. Lived at Whistler, Whitewater, Revelstoke, and Sun Peaks; all in British Columbia. What hill are you at and what are you doing at the hill?

A couple of tips from an old timer.

THere will always be a reason to get wasted, watch out.... Also, get a job working nights in a kitchen. I have worked most jobs on a hill and night cook is the best because you can ski/board all day, come in at 2 or 3 pm, work your shift, then have enough of the evening to do something. Liftees and lunch cooks are the worst jobs though, they get fucked over because they have to work during the daytime hours and don't get much riding in.

Edit: working as a groomer is pretty sweet, but getting the job is tough. Either way, check and see if your company has a policy about going up on a ride one evening. You don't have to deal with customers, losing out on ski time, the job is easy because you can only do so much in a shift, and they are the most comfortable vehicles you can sit in.

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I learned how to drive on the Gulf coast of Texas, near Houston, so believe me, some of us Texans are used to driving in rain. Some of us are used to driving in tropical storms.

One thing that I sure the fuck am not used to, is driving in snow and / or ice. FUUUUUUUUUUCK that. I hope Colorado is nice for you though! Skiing is cool. Literally.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Snow is fun for 2 days. After that it gets messy and inconvenient.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Snow's baller. The thing about climates that don't get much precipitation is that a lot oil builds up in cracks and crevices of roadways. Precipitation causes the oil to rise to the surface which increases the risk of losing control. This is worse in dryer climates because there is more time for oil build up between precipitation.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm in southern Ontario and I wish it was snowing. We just keep getting rain. Can't form it into balls and throw it, can't build fake men out of it, can't show up to work and be like "sorry I'm late, I was completely rained in." Snow is rad. Enjoy it!

lebdath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have to get somewhere, snow sucks. If you are just chilling at home, it can be really enjoyable. I especially like it when it is about 30 degrees on a calm night and the snow flakes are really big, it is beautiful.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As a lifer of the state above you, I gotta say, snow is pretty neat. And at least it aint even real cold in Colorado. Just drive safe and enjoy life brahamaz

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By csl316

First couple snows of the season are nice and peaceful. But come March, you never want to see it again.

I'm in Chicago, and when I had to drive through the city during snowfall in my Mustang it was a bad time every time.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Welcome to Colorado! You'll get used to it. The snow usually melts away quick, we get a ton of sunshine all winter.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 jeanluc  Staff

I live in Vermont, we're used to it. Plus I do find it very pretty.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By JJBSterling

I cannot believe that poll result. I live in Calgary and I actually can't stand it. It's cold and snowy for like 8 months of the year and it's miserable. I'd love it more than anything to live somewhere where it never ever, EVER, snows.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snow's sick, it sucks when it turns into slush.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I moved from IL to CA. Snow is nice to visit.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Snow is awesome. Dealing with snow can be a pain in the ass. It's also worth noting there severity of snow. Like if it snows 6 to 12 inches, you get a shovel, do your shoveling, work/school may or may not be delayed or cancelled because of it, it looks pretty outside (until it turns to slush), and you drive really slow and carefully.

Then you have times when you get feet of snow back to back. Or the snow starts off as freezing rain. Or the snow melts and then turns into ice. Or the temperature is -10 and it's windy. Or you get a blizzard and the entire city is on shut down.

I love me some snow, and places that typically deal with snow on a regular basis are more prepared for it and the average driver is more experienced in driving in the snow. Most of the winter horror stories you typically hear about, I haven't experienced thankfully. But overall snow kinda sucks, even though it's kinda great.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Snow is pretty sick. Informer was such a great song.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in Chicago. I love snow...but I don't drive. I just like walking around in it. Lets you know that you are alive, defeating the elements.

BenjamminLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where in Colorado do you live? I moved here about four years ago from Arkansas.

cwniles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't vote as it's a trick question.

Snow in places like NYC and Boston straight up sucks. (unless you have nothing to do and can relax by the fire and just watch it)

Snow in places like The Rockies, The Sierra Nevada etc. is the best thing ever.

When I was doing the ski bum bit, it was in a small town with very efficient public transpo so I never really drove all that much but what I generally see in the snow is a ton of people sliding of the road and ending up stuck in a snowbank....not so much an accident as an inconvenience (depending on the speed at which they lost control of course).

Things like shoveling snow, chopping next winters wood supply and really, just being in an environment where being active and healthy (if not constantly drunk) are things that will benefit you your entire life (well, maybe not the constantly drunk part).

Not sure how long you plan on (or have already been) doing this but if you can, try and stay for an entire year at least and experience Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. Summer in The Rockies is a hell of a thing.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Snow is the best. Also, congratulations on moving to Colorado. That is likely to prove a good life decision.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By chu52

@sterling said:

Don't tell lies dude.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@chu52 said:
@sterling said:

Don't tell lies dude.

you no say daddy me snow me i'll go blame
a licky boom boom dowwwwn

or whatever the hell those lyrics are; i'm not convinced that anybody besides snow actually knows them

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as you don't have to go out, snow's fine.

And having 1 or 2 days where the snow just completely shuts down the country has its charm as well.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sublime: The thing I noticed about snow in Colorado is that it never lasts. At least in the Denver area, it snows, then gets sunny and warm a day later. Because of this, they're no where near as efficient at clearing the streets as us Chicago folk are. Last year, it dumped eight inches of snow through the night and into the morning. In Chicago, salt and plow trucks would have made multiple runs to keep the streets clear. In Colorado, they just sort of let the sun take care of it - which also means I saw more trucks and SUVs in ditches in a day than I would see a whole winter here in Chicago.

Also, a bit of a side note. Check out the Wizard's Chest! It's in Denver, near the Cherry Creek Mall - also check out Enchanted Grounds on Colorado Blvd in Denver.

@csl316 said:

First couple snows of the season are nice and peaceful. But come March, you never want to see it again.

I'm in Chicago, and when I had to drive through the city during snowfall in my Mustang it was a bad time every time.

I remember driving my 98 Mustang with no traction control in the Chicago winters. If the incline was more than 20 degrees, I'd be stuck.

However, sliding all over the place made me a very good snow driver, as I was forced to learn how to slide around every turn.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By betterley

I love snow!

I live in PA, and this this is my favorite time of year-- except for the fact that it's just about 60 degrees right now with no snow in sight. Almost a week before Christmas and it's in the 50's... weird

Remember: Give yourself plenty of time to stop. Stopping is the worst part.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here I am, In Québec City, looking at a nice snow storm out of my office window and I'm happy about it.

I love snow from December to January. I start to get sick of it in February and hate it in March. Then, November rolls around and I can't wait for it to arrive.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Terrible poll, snow is great, learn to fucking drive or get off the road. Nothing is more infuriating than a driver who has no idea what they are doing in snow. It's dangerous and scary as hell. Grew up in Colorado and live in a college town in Idaho so people from all over the country can be dangerous.

fyrtail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snow is great when it starts and sucks hard in April when you just want it to be warm already. I've lived in Colorado my whole life, so I'll say drive slow even when you do feel confident in these conditions. This storm happening now is the real deal, but all the snow from it will probably be gone by Christmas.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a fellow Texan, I'm in the "snow sucks" camp. I like it maybe once or twice a year (which is often how much we will get it) but it really can screw with everything down here, and yes; Texans cannot drive in the rain, so when it snows or ices here, it's much, much worse. I prefer just nice weather.

sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sublime

@monetarydread said:
@sublime said:
@s10129107 said:

Awesome... I was a ski bum for a decade and a bit. Lived at Whistler, Whitewater, Revelstoke, and Sun Peaks; all in British Columbia. What hill are you at and what are you doing at the hill?

as an answer to this and all the other location questions, i'm in durango working at purgatory (or durango mountain resort, whichever). i'm working the deli as it was the closest job to serving/bartending that was available. i bartended before i got here, which was about three months ago now, but it's impossible to find a position for such a popular job. the tips are surprisingly good, though, and i don't mind the customer interaction. it's an easy way to get a free season pass at the very least.

durango itself is pretty fucking nice. definitely leans more toward the wealthier crowd though, and it can be pretty pricey depending on where you stay. some of these houses are just completely ridiculous with how nice and huge they are.

as an aside, i learned pretty quick that a hangover in texas is nothing compared to one at higher altitudes. that was a pretty bad day.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Snow is great, makes everything so quite and comfy.

Also blaze it.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

We had over 100 accidents just yesterday here in Utah after a big storm.

I'm glad to have a nice truck I can go to work in.

I love shoveling snow too. haha

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I moved back from texas to chicago and yes snow sucks. I grew up with it my entire life, and it still sucks.

Fuck snow, and fuck the Cold.

That said it's pretty mild winter so far (knock on wood), only had to shovel once so far and it's been in the 60's lately. I know it's probably in the 80's-90's in the part of texas i was in though :-(

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@chu52 said:
@sterling said:

Don't tell lies dude.

you no say daddy me snow me i'll go blame

a licky boom boom dowwwwn

or whatever the hell those lyrics are; i'm not convinced that anybody besides snow actually knows them

Police-a them-a they come and-a they blow down me door

One him come crawl through through my window

So they put me in the back of the car at the station

From that point on I reach my destination

Now the destination reached was the East Detention

Where they whipped down my pants and looked up my bottom

You can't tell me that doesn't make you laugh.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Snow sucks when you have to commute to work at 4:30 in the morning before most plows are out.

It sure can be pretty after the first fall, but then I have to drive in it. As a Minnesotan, while I'm perfectly capable and equipped, it still sucks. Still hardly any snow this year in the cities, but I can tell you the state is collectively waiting for shit (snow) to hit the fan.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I moved to Washington state from Texas so getting used to snow was an adjustment for me but at this point I have a love and appreciation for it. The main thing is you have to respect it and understand the issues it can cause.

Also while snow can be hazardous it's actually ice that can really do you in and appreciating the conditions that can lead to snow turning into ice can be the difference between a normal and bad day in the winter.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Corvak

Really depends how good your area is w/ removal and the proximity to fun snow activities like skiing. where I live the skihills suck and the city is incompetent, so snow is mostly just a massive inconvenience.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love snow if I don't have to leave the house but as someone who uses a wheelchair...fuck snow!

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like snow.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love snow if I don't have to leave the house but as someone who uses a wheelchair...fuck snow!

No Caption Provided

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love snow. The more the better.

Used to go to school up in Rochester, NY. Had to drive down the coast for winter break and there was a heavy blizzard the whole way down. Literally couldn't see the road. Literally one of the best driving experiences I've ever had. I drove a Toyota 4Runner back then so I just engaged the transfer case and 4x4'd my whole way down.

Now I drive a Subaru WRX so I have a whole different appreciation for the snow. I put winter tires on it and find empty parking lots to slide around in. Smiling at everyone on the side of the road with their summer tires while I'm rumbling on my way.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to Colorado!!

Leave more room in front of you, and drive slower, but don't ride your brakes. It may feel counter-intuitive, but you have more traction when your wheels are spinning. Brake gently before a turn if you're going too fast, then do not brake during the turn. You should almost never have to use your brakes on the highway if you're leaving enough room and traffic is staying the sameish speed. You can tell someone is too nervous or doesn't know what they're doing if they're braking a lot on the highway.