So I went to the Comic Vine forums...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Metal_Mills said:

@Clue said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Clue said:

Ah, fitting in...when'd Whiskey Media become High School?

@dudeglove said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

39,000 comments? 143,000 comments?! That's some serious commitment.

I can't even imagine 143,000 comments. I post a LOT on Neogaf and have 11,000. I thought that was crazy. 143,000? What the fuck? I'd have to post near constantly about 12 hours a day.

When I first saw it I went as far as to do the math on it. Comic Vine started in 2006. That's, uh... five years. Divide 143,000 by five and you get 28,600 ish. So that's just over 28 thousand posts a year. Divide that by 365 and you get an average per day post count. So, if that particular user (and I'm kind of in awe of this) started posting in 2006, he would have to be posting 77 times a day on average. That user started posting in 2008, which brings his posting average up dramatically, but I'll let you figure that one out yourself.

And yes I know by writing this out I have proven that I don't have anything better than act like some asshole in a school playground.

And that you're ill-informed on how post count works over there. Just sayin'.

Also, I'm not sure what anyone's post count has to do with anyone here.

Then clue us in, clue. How exactly do post counts work so radically different there? Because unless it goes up by 10 each time you post, won't make much of a difference.

It goes up every time I talk about yamomma.

I can see why so many CV people have high post counts. They reply and post about anything.

Maybe they commenting single words instead of whole sentences. I'm not sure, I've never saw the CV forums.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#152  Edited By Simplexity

Anime Vice has to be in the running for the worst forum in the world, holy hell it's just awful even when entering with low expectations it still blew me away.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By MikkaQ

@Meowshi said:

If you think these forums are quality, I feel sorry for you. There are a lot of great forum communities out there, but Giantbomb does not number among them.

I feel the opposite. I've been to tons of other forums before my time with Giant Bomb and they were all awful. At least, on average, our community is able to form complete sentences with periods and commas. Some can even spell too! That's a pretty serious step-up from pretty much anywhere else on the internet.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Rudyftw

Hey GB

No Caption Provided
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#156  Edited By Cloudenvy

@XII_Sniper said:

@Meowshi said:

If you think these forums are quality, I feel sorry for you. There are a lot of great forum communities out there, but Giantbomb does not number among them.

I feel the opposite. I've been to tons of other forums before my time with Giant Bomb and they were all awful. At least, on average, our community is able to form complete sentences with periods and commas. Some can even spell too! That's a pretty serious step-up from pretty much anywhere else on the internet.

I think the quality of GB is finding a handful or more users you talk a lot with via PM or such, at least that's what keeps me coming back.

In terms of the community as a whole I wouldn't even begin to hail it as the best out there, personally. : )

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#157  Edited By swoxx

@Rudyftw: To respond in a classic GB meme fashion, COME AT ME, BRO.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I left the site, for a number of reasons including the forums. I now pretty much only venture over there occasionally when the staff actually write something interesting. I have to say though, even Giant Bomb's forums are slightly better than CV's. Though unfortunately my favorite WM Site- Screened has some forum issues as well. For instance every time I try and defend the Star Wars prequels I am left with an inbox full of angry and poorly thought out responses.@XII_Sniper said:

@Meowshi said:

As much as I hate to admit, I can agree that GB's forums are actually a step above most other forums on the internet which is pretty sad considering the state of this site's forums.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Rudyftw

@Swoxx: To respond in a classic CV meme fashion,

No Caption Provided
risky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By risky

@Swoxx said:

*Comes at Swoxx*

Sorry, just had to make a single smartass post with my mutlipass account. ;p

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By swoxx

@Rudyftw: Kudos

@risky: BLAT BLAT BLAT, too human biaatch.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#162  Edited By citizenkane

@Dagbiker said:

Someone needs to Photoshop/After effects the showdown scene in Ron Burgundy:Anchorman with Avatars of GB / CV users and post it.

This needs to happen. Seriously.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By deathstriker666

Some shining examples of the maturity of Comic Vine users right here folks

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#164  Edited By GS_Dan

Tested's forums are the most loveliest, but I like them videogames too.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By DG991

@aztek the lost: What charm? And I enjoy Rorie with Ryan way more.

Also they don't watch so much shit... I know they aren't capable of watching everything but like they NEVER talk about dexter for example.

And I guess I never noticed that about ComicVine since I never browsed because I don't care about comics to begin with. But I don't know if that kind of thing is for me... I would rather go on reddit for a "shotgun".

But yea, you brought up some good points.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By swoxx

@Cloudenvysaid:

@XII_Sniper said:

@Meowshi said:

I think the quality of GB is finding a handful or more users you talk a lot with via PM or such, at least that's what keeps me coming back.

In terms of the community as a whole I wouldn't even begin to hail it as the best out there, personally. : )

HA, who would you possibly want to PM with let alone talk to through steam on this hellhole of a community? pshaw!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#167  Edited By Afroman269

We need to have something similar to that stupid long thread CV has. It's basically a thread version of the EPM, but without the hitman memes.

solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#168  Edited By solidejake

"Batman with prep solos!" Is all I ever here from those guys! I hate that site.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Rudyftw

@Swoxx said:

@Rudyftw: Kudos

@risky: BLAT BLAT BLAT, too human biaatch.

By that im assuming I pass Giant Bomb initiation.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By swoxx

@Rudyftw: By my meager standards. Yes.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@risky said:

@Swoxx said:

*Cums on Swoxx*

Fixed.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Rudyftw

@Swoxx said:

@Rudyftw: By my meager standards. Yes.

Im a very meager person so it all works itself out.

@PeasantAbuse:

Oh.... i see what you did there.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By swoxx

@PeasantAbuse said:

@risky said:

@Swoxx said:

*Cums on Swoxx*

Fixed.

Hey man, collateral damage here. Try to only insult the CV guys okay?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#174  Edited By AlexW00d

@Afroman269: Maybe ComicVine needs to be introduced to the hitman memes?

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By CaptainCody

@DG991 said:

My main problem with that site is that Comic books don't interest normal people unless they read them back when ... well back before the internet.

I have no problem with an adult reading comics because they did so back when they were younger and continue to do so.

I fail to see how someone who is 25 or younger could have possibly grown up with comics unless a parent or older sibling shared with them.

It baffles me that there are enough people out there to justify 'coverage' of comic related news... it's also the most boring part of the whiskey media happy hour when they get up there and talk about comics. I do think that girl is somewhat cute and entertaining though. To bad she doesn't cover stuff like movies/tv/video games blah blah blah

And something that pisses me off about screened is the total lack of caring Rorie and Alex seem to have for the awesome job they have. Not to mention... Alex is not a likable personality imo. I still like them though.

Tested....... I just... *face palm*

they are awesome but... God damn do they get so opinionated. And they often do it without realizing it. They completely dismiss a point of view if it doesn't line up with them. Then again, so does Giant Bomb on occasion when they talk about people who love counter strike, or who think that the cell shaded zelda was not in good taste, or the people who want an honest Nintendo attempt at a darker zelda.

Or people who buy racing wheels... whats wrong with that?

Anyways... tl;dr

Whiskey media is pretty cool, but comic vine sucks.

Fuck you.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#177  Edited By Little_Socrates

@DG991 said:

they are awesome but... God damn do they get so opinionated. And they often do it without realizing it. They completely dismiss a point of view if it doesn't line up with them. Then again, so does Giant Bomb on occasion when they talk about people who love counter strike, or who think that the cell shaded zelda was not in good taste, or the people who want an honest Nintendo attempt at a darker zelda.

Just so you know, the racing wheels thing is mostly a joke. They're just telling Vinny not to buy a racing wheel. As for "darker Zelda," the request that Nintendo do that is pretty strange because every attempt to do something dark Nintendo's every tried (outside of Majora's Mask, which is your one dark Zelda game so stop asking) has been really disappointing. Basically, that doesn't play to Nintendo's strengths, so while I bet they'd accept someone saying they'd like Nintendo to pass the license to...I dunno, From Software?...they probably won't understand why you'd want an honest-to-goodness Nintendo "dark Zelda." It's sort of like saying "Man, I really wish Michael Bay would try a really psychologically twisted Transformers film." They don't dismiss a point of view at all, they just disagree with them pretty strongly. And they have the privelege to do so as thirty-five year old men who've spent the last ten or twenty years writing about video games.

I dunno where you think they don't get Counter Strike from, though. They just don't think Counter Strike is especially relevant these days; the 5000 or so people who still love Counter Strike still love CS, but that name means a LOT less to people nowadays, which is unfortunate because that game is great.

And so they think cel-shaded Zelda is awesome? What's wrong with being MORE accepting?

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By CaptainCody

@aztek the lost said:

@DG991: As in sarcasm, but I was raised in a home of sarcasm and so I have a nostalgic fondness for it. I don't know, I just find it fun, kind of like how I have listened to many a Giant BombCast without any interest in games just because when they're not talking about games (and sometimes when they are), the GB staffers are hilarious. I kind of just lump Alex in with their crowd due to the crossover. Movie-related articles don't interest me, but Alex's articles that usually offend at least one person? I'm down.

Despite site differences, I don't understand the inter-site warfare though, I mean (presumably) we are all nerds of some caliber...otherwise we'd be spending our Internet on Facebook or something with the other cool kids. All five sites have good things and bad things and target different things, you can't love 'em all. Sometimes I wonder what it's like in the office though, do all the staff get along in real life? Sometimes I get the impression that is not the case.

They're people with an interest in various hobbies, they don't let it dictate their lives. Also, if every staff member acted like every site member, then everyone would be staff. Yet, that's not the case, because the staff is cooler than us users in that department. Lastly, fuck yes I'm double posting, I've gotta do my post count proud.

TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#179  Edited By TheSmashing
DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By DG991

@Little_Socrates said:

@DG991 said:

Just so you know, the racing wheels thing is mostly a joke. They're just telling Vinny not to buy a racing wheel. As for "darker Zelda," the request that Nintendo do that is pretty strange because every attempt to do something dark Nintendo's every tried (outside of Majora's Mask, which is your one dark Zelda game so stop asking) has been really disappointing. Basically, that doesn't play to Nintendo's strengths, so while I bet they'd accept someone saying they'd like Nintendo to pass the license to...I dunno, From Software?...they probably won't understand why you'd want an honest-to-goodness Nintendo "dark Zelda." It's sort of like saying "Man, I really wish Michael Bay would try a really psychologically twisted Transformers film." They don't dismiss a point of view at all, they just disagree with them pretty strongly. And they have the privelege to do so as thirty-five year old men who've spent the last ten or twenty years writing about video games.

I dunno where you think they don't get Counter Strike from, though. They just don't think Counter Strike is especially relevant these days; the 5000 or so people who still love Counter Strike still love CS, but that name means a LOT less to people nowadays, which is unfortunate because that game is great.

And so they think cel-shaded Zelda is awesome? What's wrong with being MORE accepting?

Just so you know, I was trying to make a joke by bringing up the racing wheel thing lol. But it started off with them insisting that people who buy racing wheels are crazy.

And that seems like a favorite word...

"People who think x are just CRAZY"

Counter Strike isn't as big as it used to be but like @SmashingTimes said:

5000 or so people who still love Counter Strike

Current PlayersPeak TodayGame
33,76051,896Team Fortress 2
27,19065,987Counter-Strike
24,61859,531Counter-Strike: Source

And btw... If Majoras Mask is Nintendos attempt at a dark zelda game then I want them to keep doing that because that happens to be my favorite Zelda game and also my 3rd favorite game in general.

And while I agree they are experts, they don't have any more right then I do on any position regarding video games (Past, Present, or future) being good or not just because they have been writing about it longer. If anything I think that may have warped them a little bit because of so much nostalgia and hatred of what some video games have become. They are pretty smart duders though and I agree with them often enough.

What they can talk about without me possibly disagreeing with them for lack of knowledge is the video game industry. I love when they talk about press people especially. The Duke Nukem talk was always fascinating and hilarious.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By GreggD

@NekuSakuraba said:

@InnerVenom said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

They can't swear at comic vine, can they? Let's attack them with swear words.

Fuck. Shit. Bitch.

On the contrary, I love swearing, and CV's horrible rules prevent me from doing so. So now, I finally get to type this on a Whiskey Media site.

FUCKING CUNT FUCK SHIT FUCK SHIIIIIIIIT CUNT CUNT FUUUUCKKKKKKKKK.

Ah. I feel better. Hi there. Nice to meet you.

Hey, welcome to Giant bomb. Have a marshmallow -

The fruity mallows are the best kind.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By GunslingerPanda

What do you expect on a website dedicated to a child's medium?

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#183  Edited By weegieanawrench

@dudeglove: That number has recently been boosted to 143,000! I wish I could say that it's impressive, but I just can't.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#184  Edited By Undeadpool

@mylifeforAiur said:

Hey, guys! I heard that Anime Vice sucks, too! And all the weirdos congregate at Tested! Screened? Full of pansies. Giantbomb? The last bastion of sanity on the Internet.

Isn't it weird when you go on a forum and it's full of people you're not used to seeing/interacting with?! That fucking SUCKS!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@GunslingerPanda said:

fail. comics are about as kid friendly as video games are.

whatwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By whatwait

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

once you grow up and become as mature as us gamers, you'll realize that comics are for little kids.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@whatwait said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

once you grow up and become as mature as us gamers, you'll realize that comics are for little kids.

lmao right

attempted suicide, every child's pastime

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By iam3green
@dudeglove said:

One guy on CV has over 120,000 posts. I wish I was making that up.

wow and i thought my 12,000 whatever post it is was bad. 

i just went there and they have a thread about this thread. pretty crazy.
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

This is true. They are both children's mediums. What's your point?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#190  Edited By Hailinel

@iam3green said:

@dudeglove said:

One guy on CV has over 120,000 posts. I wish I was making that up.

wow and i thought my 12,000 whatever post it is was bad. i just went there and they have a thread about this thread. pretty crazy.

And thus began the Whiskey Media Civil War, fought between fools on all sides that believed the website of their chosen allegiance to be superior to all others.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

my point is that it's untrue, maybe if it was still 1983 you would be right. the vast majority of comics/video games out right now are aimed at teenagers and adults .

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Mercy_
DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By DG991

@Unknown_Pleasures: Not that there was any question.... but Giantbomb is better cause we can curse and they can't.

Fuck yea.

GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

my point is that it's untrue, maybe if it was still 1983 you would be right. the vast majority of comics/video games out right now are aimed at teenagers and adults .

This is what comic/videogame fans really believe.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#196  Edited By _Zombie_
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Karl_Boss

@zombiebigfoot: I never said it wasn't.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#198  Edited By _Zombie_

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

@zombiebigfoot: I never said it wasn't.

Ah, I apologize for throwing you in with that lot. Still, I think this premise is hilarious..

TheRedRobin96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By TheRedRobin96

Wowwwwwwwww atleast the people on Comic Vine dont cuss every other word..............just proves their mods are doing something...............also......ANIMEVICE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Karl_Boss

@zombiebigfoot:

Nah its all good.....Yeah, video game nerds vs. comic book nerds.....what an epic battle. :P