• 54 results
#51 Posted by inkerman (1520 posts) -

I want this to be kind of self-aware, so Ryan Reynolds is a good choice, I just hope they lean into it. If it tries to emulate the tone of the original cartoon movies, eh...

#52 Posted by ToxicAntidote (1015 posts) -

Remember the fan made trailer Pokémon Apokélypse? I was thinking about that during the Detective Pikachu trailer, and that I'm more interested in what that could have been if it was an actual movie.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#53 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (7817 posts) -

I'm genuinely looking forward to this. The trailer got a few laughs outta me and the buddy cop set up looks fun. Yes, the pokemon look weird, but after watching the trailer a few times I got used to it.

#54 Edited by artofwar420 (6916 posts) -

Like many of you I wasn't interested in this at all. But hearing how they make Pikachu understandable by the main character, but no one else, made it more legitimate. Seems fun, and even more when you pretend it's Deadpool stuck in Pikachu's body somehow.

#55 Posted by Gazoinks (40 posts) -

I hate Mr. Mime

Avatar image for shadowknight508
#56 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (795 posts) -

To be completely honest, I wasn't overly interested back when this was originally announced. With the abysmal track record that video game and anime adaptations have had over the years, I was expecting another ho-hum film that Hollywood would crank out much to the disappointment of Pokemon fans everywhere.

Then came news they signed Ryan Reynolds to voice Detective Pikachu. Being a big Deadpool fan (I enjoyed Ryan's work in both Deadpool films), my interest in the film went up slightly. However, my expectations for the film were still very low, since the odds were in favor of Hollywood finding a way to screw up yet another movie based on a video game.

Then the trailer dropped for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu last week, and from what I saw in the trailer, I am a lot more interested and excited for this movie now than I was back in 2016. For the most part, the character designs for each of the Pokemon shown in the trailer look pretty awesome, but will take some getting used to after roughly 19 years of being used to the designs we saw in the games, anime, and movies over the years.