So whats your Google Reader replacement?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Wuddel

I always was a big desktop application guy, until I started using so many computers and devices in parallel. So closing Reader hit me hard. Where have you been moving to? Many people seem to use Feedly, but I kinda hate the fact that you need a browser extension, and I also do not like the site layout much.

I have been testing "The Old Reader" and today the "digg reader". The later looks good and has a really nice and fast mobile app of iOS.

What's your weapon of choice?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Suicide is my current plan.

Chadwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You don't need a browser extension for Feedly anymore. That's what I'm using. I wasn't a huge fan of the layout change, either, but it's growing on me a little after week or two of using it.

Nubikal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feedly. Although I'm using it a lot less than I used to use Google Reader.

subliminal_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started using Liferea shortly after the announcement. The search isn't as robust but it is quick. I've heard good things about Feedly though.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I've used FeedDemon for about a year now for the game news sites I want to know things from but don't want to actually visit regularly. Everything else, I just go to whenever I want to view it. I only use one computer so this isn't a problem.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

I've stopped using RSS readers. Haven't found any that work for me.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By angouri

Digg Reader is pretty great, but they don't have an Android app out yet (supposedly, end of July), and it looks kinda silly on iPad. However, I like their design the best (Feedly is kinda gross). To be safe, I ported my stuff to Feedly, Digg and AOL Reader. I'll figure out which one is good when they all become mature products (aka, with good mobile apps).

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lebkin

I have replaced using an RSS reader with a combination of Twitter and Readability. If I have time, I immediately read articles on Twitter. If not, I send them to Readability to read later. I have found myself reading fewer articles every day, but what I do read is of a much higher quality. I highly recommend trying it out.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Feedly but I've taken the reader shutdown as a chance to mostly disconnect from checking my feeds constantly. I used to waste so much time just sifting through 50+ feeds to find just a few cool things.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

As has been said... feedly is the best and easiest solution.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Newsblur did the job for me. It actually did a better job once they got some stuff together. You need to pay if you have a lot of RSS feeds though, so it also helped me cutting down on a bunch I really didn't need.
They also have a pretty good iPad app, so yeah.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PillClinton

@datarez said:

Feedly but I've taken the reader shutdown as a chance to mostly disconnect from checking my feeds constantly. I used to waste so much time just sifting through 50+ feeds to find just a few cool things.

Same. I've found staying up to date on news RSS to be an enormous waste of time on enormously unimportant things.

I just go to actual websites now, and I'll check Twitter occasionally. The important stuff seems to find its way to the top, above all the noise, and I don't at all feel wanting for news.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravelle

I've tried a couple but most of them had a horrible and unappealing UI and layout.

Feedly does seem the best at the moment.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I imported my stuff into Feedly, but I don't particularly like it. I'm still using Google Reader. When it closes on Monday I'm screwed.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

I... don't know what Google Reader is or how it's used. I mean I know it's a feed aggregator but I don't understand the purpose of a feed aggregator. Never used one. I think that kind of speaks as to why it's getting shut down. :(

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised people use these feeds so much. I'm signed up to a few different economic journals and whenever a topic of interest to me shows up and I get linked so I can download it. I have like 80 feeds, 60 of them being journals and the rest are a few top economist who sometimes have interesting theories. Feedly is awesome because I can tweet the content using buffer, which schedules your tweets. Use my link to get an extra scheduling spot: http://bufferapp.com/r/f6469a

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez said:

This is mostly where I'm at, too. I'm letting the time tick down on Google Reader. I mostly just check here, and then sometimes Polygon when I want the bigger picture.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Feedly. Simple import, similar interface, and a solid mobile app. As soon as my podcast downloader supports it (assuming they do at some point) I'm golden.

This said, I'll be interested to hear opinions on the Digg reader. I'm quite happy with Feedly at the moment, but worry (perhaps unnecessarily) they may have bitten off more than they can chew.

webscud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feedly, but I've been slowing using RSS less and less since Google Reader removed sharing and commenting directly in to someone else's Reader account.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Old Reader is perfect for me. I've been using it since Google announced Reader would be discontinued some months ago and I haven't had any complaints at all so far.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamefreak9 said:

I'm surprised people use these feeds so much. I'm signed up to a few different economic journals and whenever a topic of interest to me shows up and I get linked so I can download it. I have like 80 feeds, 60 of them being journals and the rest are a few top economist who sometimes have interesting theories. Feedly is awesome because I can tweet the content using buffer, which schedules your tweets. Use my link to get an extra scheduling spot: http://bufferapp.com/r/f6469a

Well everyone who deals with scientific literature of some sorts I think uses RSS a lot. During grad school I used to use NewsFire (OS X), which had smart folders. These would automatically search for keywords in the feeds of journal TOCs. Very handy.

phrosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was Bamboo until I saw all you people saying feedly. I'll give that a shot because I never really got used to using Bamboo.

dotexe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I switched over to feedly since it has an android app.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By djou

Feedly, but I agree the extension requirement sucks. I wish there was a way for them to completely break away from Google and not require me to log in through a Google account. Switching has definitely changed my RSS habits. I used to be a big desktop RSS guy, leaving the tab open and perusing periodically. Feedly has an excellent iOS app and I find myself swiping through feeds using an iPad more often than checking the website.

I tried Old Reader and digg, but OR is way to slow for me. Felt like it took forever for the site to retrieve my feeds. That was a few months ago, maybe they have caught up but I've moved on. I tried the beta for the digg reader, The build seems rushed and missing a ton of features, its not compelling enough to make me switch from Feedly.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I click on my feeds, but it just keeps loading, forever! :(
I click on my feeds, but it just keeps loading, forever! :(

Maybe one day, I will close that tab. But not today.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feedly will have to do, but iGoogle hasn't quit yet and I'll be damned if I stop using it one hour before I have to.

Why was everyone else too stupid to use iGoogle?

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I really don't like how Feedly works, it seems to hide content from you if you check it more than a few times a day so it can give it to you in one big go.

So far DiggReader has been the best replacement for it, though that dsnt yet have Reeder support I don't think, which kinda sucks...

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It took a while, but I've gotten used to Feedly.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feedly has always been better.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sooty

Digg reader, I prefer it to Feedly right now.

Although Reeder for Mac beats both, but it isn't working until the new version comes out unfortunately.

Just release Flipboard for Windows and OS X already.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feedly will have to do, but iGoogle hasn't quit yet and I'll be damned if I stop using it one hour before I have to.

Why would I want to use it? Sell me on it!

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Codeacious

I've only ever looked at my RSS feeds on my phone, so I'm currently using gReader. I tried feedly for a bit, but the constant interface changes, resetting of preferences, and a broken update cutting my battery life by 80% made me uninstall it and never look back.

However, gReader has yet to implement another host for RSS feeds.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying Feedly, just to see how it compares to The Old Reader. The layout is definitely nicer, but does the Feedly (beta) extension for Chrome display in real time my unread feeds? Google Reader Notifier and the official The Old Reader extension do that, and it's extremely convenient for me. I like reading my feeds as they are updated, not waiting until a certain time to read them all together.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's all this extension and app talk? I just go to feedly.com and use it that way.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's all this extension and app talk? I just go to feedly.com and use it that way.

You have the app, which puts an icon on your apps drawer on Chrome's homescreen, and the extension, which puts an icon that links to Feedly in the navbar, next to the Settings icon. It seems that the extension doesn't show the number of unread feeds you have, though... It's a pity, but I think I'll stick with The Old Reader for the time being.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb said:

@saturdaynightspecials said:

Why would I want to use it? Sell me on it!

Well, look at it!

No Caption Provided

It's just like an RSS feed, only the sources are nicely compartmentalized instead of being in huge lists, and you can adjust how many items are shown for each source. You can even have widgets like weather.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyravn said:

@demoskinos said:

You have the app, which puts an icon on your apps drawer on Chrome's homescreen, and the extension, which puts an icon that links to Feedly in the navbar, next to the Settings icon. It seems that the extension doesn't show the number of unread feeds you have, though... It's a pity, but I think I'll stick with The Old Reader for the time being.

Well I never actually downloaded anything. I do have a quick link on the "most visited" landing page though. I did see there is both an app and an extension but I just navigate to feedly via the omnibox.