• 51 results
T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By T_wester

A few years back I lived in a rather crappy dorm and every Tuesday my neighbour would play Hotel California, badly on a not always correctly tuned guitar.

To this day I cant hear the song without getting perturbed.

What songs have been ruined for you duders?

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much anything Beastie Boys. Went to college in the early 90s (yep, I'm old) and practically every party I went to had the Beasties playing, or some kid in the dorms would have his speakers turned around in his window blasting Paul's Boutique. Was never a big Beasties' fan in the first place, but the overexposure ruined any enjoyment I might have had.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using this song as my alarm for a year now... Completely ruined it for me, such a great song, too.

Loading Video...

MATATAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I knew a couple people back in high school that would constantly overplay any music I showed them to the point of annoyance so I just stopped giving them music. Two in particular I can think of are Matisyahu and K-OS. Neither are that fantastic anyway so I guess it doesn't matter too much .

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

There was an audiobook Humble Bundle months back that included a reading of Meg Cabot's Abandoned. I'm not very choosy come the times when I need something to listen to when I have trouble sleeping at night, and also it had one of the shorter reading times compared to the rest (this was maybe 7 hours long compared to the average of 10 hours it takes to read the others included in the bundle).

Anyway, for some reason the main character in this terrible romance novel repeatedly told herself to "check yourself before you wreck yourself." So now I have to remember this terrible novel when I think about Ice Cube at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gangnam Style, Desperado by The Eagles, Most songs off of Led Zeppelin IV. All Fleetwood Mac. Basically if the Classic Vinyl station on Sirius plays it every 2 minutes, I can't listen to it anymore. Also Hey Brother by avicii is super played out now.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7 csl316  Online

Whatever pop music played on the bus my freshman year of high school (late 2000/early 2001).

Just.... Destiny's Child every day, man.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one song by Weezer aaaaand I forget the other one.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything Metallica. Rock radio has saturated the airwaves with their entire catalog, most of it terrible from 1990 onward in my opinion. I can't listen to them at all.

MATATAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluttercry: Ah yeah I forgot about radio shit. I don't drive as much as I used to living in a city now but when I do drive I just have a radio in my car now. Seattle has some pretty good stations compared to other places but they still suffer from radio replay symptoms.

I DON'T WANT TO FUCKING HEAR LORDE TALK ABOUT BEING QUEEN ANYMORE GODDAMNIT.

I didn't like her before and after hearing her songs multiple times the consensus is I still don't like her.

BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get Lucky by Daft Punk.

After that HMX memorial stream last year... man. It's tough.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Slaps2

Ever since Seven Nation Army became a sports anthem, I've been finding it harder to listen to. Great song... dumbest stadium music ever...

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not quite what was intended with the question... but any of the original versions of songs that Weird Al has done parodies of as I cannot get his lyrics out of my head... and this isn't a new thing, it started when I first heard "My Bologna" on the Dr. D. show in 1979...

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Journey.

You know the one.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@oldguy said:

Not quite what was intended with the question... but any of the original versions of songs that Weird Al has done parodies of as I cannot get his lyrics out of my head... and this isn't a new thing, it started when I first heard "My Bologna" on the Dr. D. show in 1979...

1979? I didn't know Weird Al was that old.

I can't think of anything in particular.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

due to being overplayed and a junk song: Drops of Jupiter

due to being hard to listen to for emotional reasons: REM- Find the River, Spiritualized- Broken Heart, Simon & Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Slaps2

a junk song: Drops of Jupiter

EXCUSE YOU! You take that back!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaps2 said:

@ripelivejam said:

nah it's entirely crap. sorreh.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything I made as an alarm

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly stuff I once loved, and then overplayed.

Led Zeppelin - haven't played them in 20 years.
Janes Addiction - haven't played in 15 years

and I think I'm getting real close to never being able to listen to Interpol again

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaps2 said:

@ripelivejam said:

nah it's entirely crap. sorreh.

Used to have a job where the radio was on all day, and it built up a big hatred for this song.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By jimipeppr

@splodge said:

Journey.

You know the one.

Yep

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't listen to Paradise City anymore after Burnout: Paradise. It played every single time you started up the game and couldn't skip it for a good 15 seconds. I hate it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Humanity

I can't really listen to 90's rap anymore. It just seems too slow.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Torbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure why, but the Beastie Boys song Super Disco Breakin'. I just can't stand it, despite loving most other Beastie Boys stuff.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotel California sucks, so that dude did you a favor.

madman356647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge: Wheel in the Sky? Yea that one is overrated.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By XenoNick

Anything by Lostprophets for obvious reasons and any songs that I use for alarms (currently the Angel Beats opening)

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smells Like Teen Spirit, I would be a happy man if I never hear that fucking song again. It was played out in the 90's, then got considered a classic song and got played out again.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Ben_H

A couple of Judas Priest songs I associate with the death of one of my grandparents. That Daft Punk song for the reason the other person listed above. Every good song ruined by Glee that makes it so people assume you watch Glee because you know the song when in fact that is not the case.

Gangnam Style because, before it "went viral", all the people I knew way into kpop thought it was hilarious and I did too (like most Psy songs. All his old songs were pretty funny too), to the point where I bought those sick yellow Adidas the one dude in the video wears to complement his yellow suit. Then like a month later it got insanely popular and was overplayed on everything under the sun and now I hate it because I have heard it way to many times and people killed all the novelty to it. For reference, here's the shoes. I've got countless PMs on Team Liquid because I posted a few pictures of my pair a while back. They were discontinued when I got them and now they are impossible to find. They're even brighter yellow in person:

YELLOW
YELLOW

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Any hard rock along the lines of Breaking Benjamin or Three Days Grace. I used to listen to that music religiously when I was younger, and now it just makes me picture hormonal teenagers.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Often times when I listen to music I only listen to 2-3 songs all day long on repeat, so the idea of overplaying a song to death is just wildly lost on me.

This is the crabbiest, old man thing I'll say today: I only need to hear most songs on the radio once to never want to hear them again, but that whadnt what you were asking. Them good ol days huh?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldguy said:

1979? I didn't know Weird Al was that old.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There's this collaboration by Kimbra, Mark Foster and A-Trak. It's a really cool song. But... the lyrics are the dumbest, worst thing I've ever heard. The entire thing reads like advocacy of ignorance. It also implies that being rational is forcing women to act like men. It's fucking awful.

Loading Video...

The melody in the chorus is... really good though.

If you're so sure it's rational

But that don't make it logical (there's no such thing as illogical rationality)

If you say I'm just an animal (human beings are animals. period.)

You can't explain away the way I feel

They tell you 'trust your head, be like men' but never feel like you're good enough (who is 'they'?)

They wanna take our light, make us fight, but never cry for the ones you love (Why do I get the sense you're misrepresenting whoever 'they' is?)

You're taking over - and I'm feeling small

When I was a child - I knew it all (NO YOU DID NOT)

Nothing magical - No hologram behind the door

Just a chain reaction - But I know I'm made for more! (you might as well say you don't come from no monkey)

You wanna change the world, but your girls will be seen and not be heard (WHAT ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT)

... but .. yeah... the chorus is pretty catchy.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm getting real close to never being able to listen to Interpol again

God, I don't ever want to be like that. Please tell me it won't happen.

jhajha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baby by Justin Bieber. LOL. Very annoying song. All of JB's songs are annoying.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhajha: unless theyre slowed down by 800% then they become blissful ambient songs :)

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ThePickle

The Way You Move by OutKast has never been the same since I once made it my alarm clock song. PRO-TIP: never make a song you like an alarm, you will end up hating it.

jhajha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhajha: unless theyre slowed down by 800% then they become blissful ambient songs :)

You are right. Haha. Do you hate JB also? haha lol. :)

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There was a popular commercial here that had the lyrics of several songs replaced by phonetically similar ones in Spanish. The idea was to make fun of people that, not knowing English, changed songs to something unrelated and that made little sense. The most prominent example was Rhythm of the Night, by Corona.

It had the unintended effect of making me thing of the lines in Spanish every time I hear the song.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bennyboy

I'd say none. If I love a song I don't get tired of listening to it and nothing can really "ruin" it for me.

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's this collaboration by Kimbra, Mark Foster and A-Trak. It's a really cool song. But... the lyrics are the dumbest, worst thing I've ever heard. The entire thing reads like advocacy of ignorance. It also implies that being rational is forcing women to act like men. It's fucking awful.

Loading Video...

The melody in the chorus is... really good though.

If you're so sure it's rational

But that don't make it logical (there's no such thing as illogical rationality)

If you say I'm just an animal (human beings are animals. period.)

You can't explain away the way I feel

They tell you 'trust your head, be like men' but never feel like you're good enough (who is 'they'?)

They wanna take our light, make us fight, but never cry for the ones you love (Why do I get the sense you're misrepresenting whoever 'they' is?)

You're taking over - and I'm feeling small

When I was a child - I knew it all (NO YOU DID NOT)

Nothing magical - No hologram behind the door

Just a chain reaction - But I know I'm made for more! (you might as well say you don't come from no monkey)

You wanna change the world, but your girls will be seen and not be heard (WHAT ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT)

... but .. yeah... the chorus is pretty catchy.

I love that song, never paid much attention to the lyrics though. I'll assume she wrote them, some of the lyrics on her first album are a bit questionable but they all sound great.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Pretty much anything Beastie Boys. Went to college in the early 90s (yep, I'm old) and practically every party I went to had the Beasties playing, or some kid in the dorms would have his speakers turned around in his window blasting Paul's Boutique. Was never a big Beasties' fan in the first place, but the overexposure ruined any enjoyment I might have had.

Wow I wish kids still played that stuff at parties than what I gotta be succumbed to these days.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ShaggE

I have a terrible habit of listening to particular songs/albums until I get burned out on them (I say as I listen to Abney Park's "Taxidermy" album for the billionth time... but it's so good! I could do eight paragraphs here and now on how amazing Abney Park's pre-steampunk era was), so I have a long list of songs I can't listen to anymore, or at least for a few years.

Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine" (the song, not the album) comes to mind, as I had an MP3 player that, when set to shuffle, would seem to play that song constantly. I've grown to loathe the opening of it, and it was never my favorite of hers anyway.

Another big one is most of Marilyn Manson's "Mechanical Animals". Fucking incredible album, maybe their best and easily in my personal top 5 albums, but I overplayed the shit out of it. Same with "Holy Wood" and "Golden Age of Grotesque" (but I can listen to that one and "Antichrist Superstar" many times more).

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Get Lucky by Daft Punk.

After that HMX memorial stream last year... man. It's tough.

Same. Earlier this year I was at my sister's wedding reception, and I had to sit down for a moment when the DJ played that song. The weird thing about it was that I didn't even realize why the song bummed me out until later that evening.

billymagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every song on the radio....

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

carly ray jepsen - call me maybe
most bieber songs but especially baby and girlfriend

beastie boys - body movin'

train - drops of jupiter

britney spears - toxic
psy - gangnam style

eiffel 65 - blue

crazyfrog - axel F

hansons - mmmbop
there are also a lot of new hip hop/rap that i really cant listen to. although they were not ruined for me i just cant stand them. im not a musial snob. its just those meaningless rap songs thats all about telling you how ganster they are how much money they got, how much bling and how all hoes just wanna fuck them. and i mean i would be fine with it if it was actually done well and there was put some thought in to it. but it feels just like a quick cash grab. "musicinas" that almost plan to be a one hit wonder

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigboss1911: What kind of musical torture are you under exactly?

On topic, I'm a huge Queen fan, but I can't listen to We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions, which are usually played back-to-back on your typical classic rock station. Beyond cliched and played out at this point, obviously. Queen has so many good deep-cut type tunes that never get airtime. Like this one:

Loading Video...