Gordy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Gordy
@jimbo said:

You are the worst at satire out of everybody.

Seriously, this is so full of strawmen I thought it was written by Bill o'Reilly. If this is what passes for satire around here I'm done. It sounds like a 6 year old going "ooh I'm a woman, I'm so stupid, look at me, myeh myeh myeh"

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

It's almost as if there wasn't any female leads designing the new generation of hardware, so they didn't have any reason to come out.

Oh also, there wasn't any Polish, Korean, Latvian or people in wheelchairs, so Sony actively hate them and want them to flush all their dreams of being at a press event down the toilet.

For real.

No Caption Provided

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@no0b0rama said:

This has been the greatest piece of content on Giant Bomb in a long while. I salute you sir.

Yes. Yay for poorly written satire attacking women who try to open boys to the problems of sexism in the industry. He really nailed those fighting for equal rights! Yay to stick to the people working to end misogyny, rape culture and sexism in gaming culture! They really deserved it.

Forums. Sometimes they're worse than comments.

So you didn't read the actual post at all then? I really shouldn't reply to you, cause you're clearly just an awful goddamn troll, but jeez dude come on.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@no0b0rama said:

This has been the greatest piece of content on Giant Bomb in a long while. I salute you sir.

Yes. Yay for poorly written satire attacking women who try to open boys to the problems of sexism in the industry. He really nailed those fighting for equal rights! Yay to stick to the people working to end misogyny, rape culture and sexism in gaming culture! They really deserved it.

Yes clearly Elizabeth Deloria and Kotaku were making completely justifiable points and arguments that definitely should be taken seriously. These people are to feminism what the Black Panther Party was to the civil rights movement; crazies who ruin it for people who are actually trying to make change.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By pyrodactyl

@depecheload said:

@no0b0rama said:

Yep, this is bad, poorly written satire and the OP shouldn't get any praise for that. On the other hand, comments like ''I'm buying a WiiU because sony didn't shoehorn any woman in their press event'' is quite dumb and doesn't deserve your praise either.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By Milkman

Haha, Deloria protected her tweets.

Haha, she was probably being harassed by a bunch of bottom feeding, socially inept sexist nerds. Haha, hilarious. Sexism doesn't exist.

This is how satire works, right guys? Am I doing it right?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo should be praised for treating women respectfully and not like mere objects...

No Caption Provided

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: Of course she doesn't deserve to be harassed, but it's not like what she said was going to invite particularly nice responses. Not that it justifies the response. Her tweets have been horrible and sensationalist, so people not seeing her tweets is probably a plus.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

@no0b0rama said:

Haha, she was probably being harassed by a bunch of bottom feeding, socially inept sexist nerds. Haha, hilarious. Sexism doesn't exist.

Maybe she was being harassed for her statement about buying Nintendo to "fight Sony's sexism?" Whatever your views, you have to admit that was a dumb thing to say.

Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not sure how am feel. Deloria's tweet obviously moronic; also disingenuous because no doubt she will buy a PS4 anyway when the time comes. OP's basic premise that Kotaku is ridiculous click-baiting nonsense makes sense, but the overall delivery seems in poor taste.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@likeassur: I would agree that the tweets are extreme and Nintendo is no better in that department really, if anyone remembers them strapping a 3DS on a bunch of women at E3. The sentiment makes sense, however. It was just said in the wrong way.

But anyone who has been on the internet for even a second should be able to guess the kind of disgusting crap that was probably thrown her way. I don't care who you are or what your views are, they don't deserve that and it only goes to further reinforce her point.

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This was the worst piece of shit I've read in a long time and I fucking hate all of you.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

@no0b0rama said:

Maybe she was being harassed for her statement about buying Nintendo to "fight Sony's sexism?" Whatever your views, you have to admit that was a dumb thing to say.

Yup it was idiotic and made deflated her platform. I don't like A so I'll buy B is not a good way to discuss a problem this industry has in terms of female representation, especially when the company you say you'll support has f***ed up practices concerning females having celebrities advertise games to girls that involve cooking, cleaning, fashion etc and doing things like this while sending your new platform...:

Loading Video...
scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depecheload:

Rights? What right do men have which allows them to become engineers that women don't?

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@depecheload: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Masterful satire! You outdid KaosAngel at sounding like a crazy person!

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate women but I'll learn.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@scalpel said:

@depecheload:

Rights? What right do men have which allows them to become engineers that women don't?

Maybe if Sony put some females to talk about engineering the PS4 it'd spark some new women to go to majors that involve engineering?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By TheHBK

@kaosangel said:

Why do you need to have expertise in engineering or software encoding or hardware building to speak at the PS4 event? Why not allow a female marketer talk to the people instead of these elitist men who were spoon fed masters in engineering?

That is the problem right there. Even you admit there is a lack of women in the game development part of this industry. And Sony can't do much about it except hire more women but it is no secret there is a lack of female talent in that department. Women are just not doing that stuff. Seeing Cerny up there talk about the PS4 was awesome. Then you get other big names up there. But to have some random woman come out for the sake of having a woman up there and she is just some marketer does no one anyone any good. Spoon fed masters in engineering? I know plenty of women who have masters in engineering, just not for computer development. And if they do have them, they aren't working on video games. First step. Point out a big female developer that has made something as big or inventive as the guys we saw up there. Because we saw heads of development studios and visionaries. Really for me the only name that I can think of is Jade Raymond who I recall being the one who introduced the first Assassin's Creed. And Jennifer Hale who I am in love with. But both are not developers. They do not code, they don't come up with the ideas of gameplay. Solve the talent problem first because you asking why they need to be an engineer to be up there helps no one and poses the same question and you show the deficiency of the industry in having women engineers, and that there are men who also market games, not just women.

Your posts are the fucking worst on this site.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk: Did you miss out that he was being sarcastic or am I misreading what you're trying to say?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#71  Edited By tourgen

@no0b0rama said:

@depecheload said:

@no0b0rama said:

Yes clearly Elizabeth Deloria and Kotaku were making completely justifiable points and arguments that definitely should be taken seriously. These people are to feminism what the Black Panther Party was to the civil rights movement; crazies who ruin it for people who are actually trying to make change.

the black panthers were protecting their neighborhoods from the cops - who where coming in and murdering them. yeah they responded violently to a violent and fucked up situation. kind of a neighborhood watch type setup at first.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#72  Edited By granderojo

It's a real shame that the solution in solving this problem of women not working in the games industry and the current campaign to solve the problem has become so antithetical. Nice satire post, shame we're at this point of satire.

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depecheload said:

@no0b0rama said:

u sound white

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By droop

Clearly they should have hired some strippers.

Gordy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depecheload said:

@no0b0rama said:

Yep, this is bad, poorly written satire and the OP shouldn't get any praise for that. On the other hand, comments like ''I'm buying a WiiU because sony didn't shoehorn any woman in their press event'' is quite dumb and doesn't deserve your praise either.

Did he? I don't see him doing that, so why should you assume he is?

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I believe disregarding the fact that our society clearly gears some professions towards a certain gender than the other makes for a facile argument. Maybe there just weren't any women to pick from at the conference. I mean, what do you want them to do? Scramble to find a woman and throw her on stage just because she's a woman? Isn't that sexist? That's almost as bad as television shows casting multiracial actors, not by ability, but to simply broaden the scope of ethnicities.

If you were being operated on, would you rather have a surgeon who was hired because they're the best, or because the hospital needed to fulfil their gender quota (à la affirmative action)?. Whenever you make such decisions based on a person's gender, that's sexism. So if all the qualified surgeons in the hospital are female, who cares? You get to live. If all the qualified surgeons are male, who cares? You get to live.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@donpixel said:

@kaosangel said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Maybe no women wanted to talk? Ever think about that? Public speaking sucks.

That's sexist bro. You're what's wrong with the industry.

Reading your blog and followed responses makes me think: You are an assumption making machine, It speaks of black/white simplistic mentality the one that is prone to fall into a extremist totalitarian movement such as Nazism or Muslim Terrorist.

See, we all can do the same...

Is this still satire?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't call people dumb and then try to make an analogy like that. Seriously, knock that idiocy off.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#82  Edited By TheHBK

@no0b0rama said:

@thehbk: Did you miss out that he was being sarcastic or am I misreading what you're trying to say?

I thought there might be a hint of that, but you can't tell. See the last part of my post. This guy always wastes forum space, telling us about how he is a lawyer, or how he has a girlfriend who lives 12,000 miles away, or that he has a problem because he can't pick which benz he wants to buy or some shit like that. Whatever it was, people here can't agree on it and he does this kind of stuff all the time.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This even though it's a joke, it still makes me so sad. Those Tweets were SO FUCKING STUPID!

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So just because there was no women marketers, engineers, or industry leaders; you won't buy a game system. Why not just buy systems for the system, not for who is selling you said system.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say we segregate Woman Gaming and Male Gaming into two camps, where one takes on the role of underprivileged society and the other takes up the role of The Man.

The Man shall then abuse his underprivileged counter part, by only allowing them to play Barbie games, cooking games, the Sims, and social focused mmo's.

Then each side can live in harmony, living within the allotted confines for their lives so wisely deemed by Xenu.

No Caption Provided

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was here.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panvixyl said:

@no0b0rama said:

@depecheload said:

@no0b0rama said:

u sound white

He isn't.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just so full of hate right now.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This... is awful.

I'm actually inclined to agree with criticizing those overreacting about the lack of women in the Sony presentation when the real issue is more in the day to day industry than big press events, but this was just bad. We don't need to construct an absurd straw man to critique some responses here.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Why should they put women on the stage just for the sake of it? Shouldn't that bother you more, like they're saying "well we HAVE to have a woman"?

Avatar image for videogamesarenotart
videogamesarenotart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't think you even know what sexism means

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

This... is awful.

I'm actually inclined to agree with criticizing those overreacting about the lack of women in the Sony presentation when the real issue is more in the day to day industry than big press events, but this was just bad. We don't need to construct an absurd straw man to critique some responses here.

But how and why is it a problem?

Women aren't on stage because women aren't really that into STEM fields, of which "video game developer" falls under. Do we really need to manufacture diversity when the truth is that women in general just don't give a shit about making games? How do we force them to, then? And if we do force them into it, isn't that just as bad as the oft-cited oppression they faced pre-feminist revolution in the 1960's? Aren't we then dictating to them who they are and what they get to be?

I thought feminism's big goal was about giving women the freedom to choose who they want to be and what they want to do? So if they're choosing not to be engineers, why the hell is it a problem when none of the engineers on stage for Sony's event are women?

Also that black cat cosplayer is a douche.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

This... is awful.

Women aren't on stage because women aren't really that into STEM fields, of which "video game developer" falls under. Do we really need to manufacture diversity when the truth is that women in general just don't give a shit about making games? How do we force them to, then? And if we do force them into it, isn't that just as bad as the oft-cited oppression they faced pre-feminist revolution in the 1960's? Aren't we then dictating to them who they are and what they get to be?

I thought feminism's big goal was about giving women the freedom to choose who they want to be and what they want to do? So if they're choosing not to be engineers, why the hell is it a problem when none of the engineers on stage for Sony's event are women?

Sir, you my friend have a brain

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

This... is awful.

Wait, what female game developers are you hanging out with? What ever gave you the impression that women just "aren't really that into STEM fields" or "don't give a shit about making games"?

I can't really imagine a more misinformed opinion than that.

Plenty of women want to work in gaming, and it seems like more every year are working toward it. And you know what? Many are succeeding, too. But that's because a lot of women are pushing through the issues and trying to make games anyway. I'd say the ratio I've seen is closer to 60/40 than a definite 50/50 as far as people trying to make it in the games industry, but it's simply incorrect to suggest that women aren't interested in making games. They're human beings like anyone else, and games have near universal appeal. Women don't just have to be trotted out for big events like this, but to suggest that there aren't any particular issues and challenges facing women being a major part of the gaming community, getting into game development, or trying to advance in those jobs is just not the reality that is out there.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By colourful_hippie

The best thing about this is people are actually getting worked up over it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon said:

@truthtellah said:

This... is awful.

Wait, what female game developers are you hanging out with? What ever gave you the impression that women just "aren't really that into STEM fields" or "don't give a shit about making games"?

Plenty of women want to work in gaming, and it seems like more every year are working toward it. And you know what? Many are succeeding, too. But that's because a lot of women are pushing through the issues and trying to make games anyway. I'd say the ratio I've seen is closer to 60/40 than a definite 50/50 as far as people trying to make it in the games industry, but it's simply incorrect to suggest that women aren't interested in making games. They're human beings like anyone else, and games have near universal appeal. Women don't just have to be trotted out for big events like this, but to suggest that there aren't any particular issues and challenges facing women being a major part of the gaming community, getting into game development, or trying to advance in those jobs is just not the reality that is out there.

Oh so we're just going to ignore the fact that 98% of STEM related classes are attended by men then? That in the 40+ years of women getting a post-secondary education not only are there more women going to college than men, but that they unilaterally avoid STEM fields of study like it had herpes?

Okay, don't let me stop you from re-thinking your holy crusade.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By chrissedoff

@oldirtybearon said:

@truthtellah said:

This... is awful.

My sister has a master's in physics from one of the best universities in the world and works as an engineer. The idea that women aren't interested in science or engineering is horseshit and while I acknowledge that it would be pointless to seek out women to put on stage at a press conference purely for the sake of diversity, it's despicable to imply that any woman that we might see at video game press conferences wouldn't know what she's talking about.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@oldirtybearon said:

@truthtellah said:

This... is awful.

My sister has a master's in physics from one of the best universities in the world and works as an engineer. The idea that women aren't interested in science or engineering is horseshit and while I acknowledge that it would be pointless to seek out women to put on stage at a press conference purely for the sake of diversity, it's despicable to imply that any woman that we might see at video game press conferences wouldn't know what she's talking about.

First of all, big ups to your sister. Give her a pat on the back for me.

Second of all, I referred to women in general. And whether you want to be an uppity prick about it or not, the data says that the majority of women in post secondary education have avoided STEM related fields of study. They prefer to do other shit. Of course there are women who make games and enjoy making them, just as your physics sister probably enjoys her work. However, it doesn't stop the rest of the field from being predominantly male because not a lot of women are interested in those fields.

Jesus Christ you'd think I just slapped a woman or something.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darson said:

I believe disregarding the fact that our society clearly gears some professions towards a certain gender than the other makes for a facile argument. Maybe there just weren't any women to pick from at the conference. I mean, what do you want them to do? Scramble to find a woman and throw her on stage just because she's a woman? Isn't that sexist? That's almost as bad as television shows casting multiracial actors, not by ability, but to simply broaden the scope of ethnicities.

If you were being operated on, would you rather have a surgeon who was hired because they're the best, or because the hospital needed to fulfil their gender quota (à la affirmative action)?. Whenever you make such decisions based on a person's gender, that's sexism. So if all the qualified surgeons in the hospital are female, who cares? You get to live. If all the qualified surgeons are male, who cares? You get to live.

Oh yeah, here's a problem that totally exists. It's too easy for black and Asian actors to get parts. That's not a delusion of straight-white-male paranoia at all.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@truthtellah said:

This... is awful.

Oh so we're just going to ignore the fact that 98% of STEM related classes are attended by men then? That in the 40+ years of women getting a post-secondary education not only are there more women going to college than men, but that they unilaterally avoid STEM fields of study like it had herpes?

Okay, don't let me stop you from re-thinking your holy crusade.

No need to jump to absurdity. I'm not on some kind of crusade. I'm just sharing the reality of women in the industry. They're just normal people with varied interests, like men. Women certainly are interested in science, engineering, programming, and game development jobs. And I have met a significant amount of women studying game design. One of my good friends works at Blizzard and another is about a month from having her game on XBOX Live and Steam, and I have worked alongside many women working in 3D modeling and others pursuing game programming. And that's just game design, let alone the many working in fields of science and technology. Some of the smartest people I've ever met in science and mathematics are women.

As I said, I've seen something close to 60/40 as far as men to women working toward being in the games industry. Plenty of women love games and are passionate about being a part of making them. I can agree with those saying Sony didn't need to trot out women for the press conference; I think that's understandable. Those on stage were just the top people in their respective companies. But I can't agree with someone suggesting that women aren't interested in STEM subjects or game development. That simply isn't the women I have met and worked with.