buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By buyj3llo

ITT: I defend Soulja boy.

People say he's no good, but I don't see it like that. Sure he's not the best lyricist but his songs aren't about selling / doing drugs and calling women bitches, which is a breath of fresh air from southern rappers in particular. I also appreciate his lyrical simplicity because it recalls of a time when hip-hop was just about having fun. He's not trying to change the world; he's just trying to make some simple fun songs that people can dance to and have a good time. It's party music.

You may not like his music, but give him a break. Soulja boy does his best to make music to entertain people; just like every other musician.

Avatar image for semicolon1twlev2
semicolon1twlev2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By semicolon1twlev2

You can make party music with good lyrics.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Karmum

His music is shit. But he knows how to make money, the only good thing he does. Make shitty music that teenage kids will flock to. He is no real talent. Cannot imagine what he does live.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DualReaver

Well he's not calling them bitches, but "Supaman that hoe" is kinda offensive too isn't it?
And he is not a musician.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive

said: exactly.  his music is extremely artificial sounding too

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blu_Magic

I hate his music but I've got nothing against people who enjoy his music. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Mistyshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mistyshadow

Are you on drugs?

buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By buyj3llo
DualReaver said:
"Well he's not calling them bitches, "But supaman that hoe" is kinda offensive too isn't it?
And he is not a musician."
how is he not a musician? he makes music. You may not like it but it still music.
Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shawn

"Excellent Musician"
He doesn't make music, he makes sound. If people had the sense to realize he's just a waste of talent (or lack there of) then we wouldn't have ever heard of him. It's just because teenagers embrace it likes its the musical Mona Lisa.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DualReaver
buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:
"Well he's not calling them bitches, "But supaman that hoe" is kinda offensive too isn't it?
how is he not a musician? he makes music. You may not like it but it still music."
I made a noise in FL studios can I be a musician too?
I don't consider him a musician, you can if you want,  I don't really care.
And seriously he calls them hoes and thinks cumming on blankets and sticking it to them is good.
buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By buyj3llo
Karmum said:
"His music is shit. But he knows how to make money, the only good thing he does. Make shitty music that teenage kids will flock to. He is no real talent. Cannot imagine what he does live."
If the teenagers are flocking to his music then it must not be shit to them. He has a talent for making music that his demographic likes.
bigpig33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bigpig33

if u knew what superman that hoe ment u would change ur mind

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DualReaver
bigpig33 said:
"if u knew what superman that hoe ment u would change ur mind"
I already posted what it means.
;)
buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By buyj3llo
Shawn said:
""Excellent Musician"
He doesn't make music, he makes sound. If people had the sense to realize he's just a waste of talent (or lack there of) then we wouldn't have ever heard of him. It's just because teenagers embrace it likes its the musical Mona Lisa."
what is there to separate sound from music? Any sound can be music and all music is made of sounds. If teenagers like his particular sounds then that's nice.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I respectfully disagree.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shawn
buyj3llo said:
"Karmum said:
"His music is shit. But he knows how to make money, the only good thing he does. Make shitty music that teenage kids will flock to. He is no real talent. Cannot imagine what he does live."
If the teenagers are flocking to his music then it must not be shit to them. He has a talent for making music that his demographic likes."
You have a point, he suits the demographic he aims for, luckily for him that demographic has no good knowledge of music and are absolute thick heads. But just because everyone in that demographic likes him doesn't mean that people with other (much better) tastes in music won't call him a talentless moron.

In other words, a talentless moron isn't really one in the eyes of another talentless moron.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kmdrkul

If Anal Cunt can be considered music, then Soulja boy can be as well.

buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By buyj3llo
TwoOneFive said:
" said: exactly.  his music is extremely artificial sounding too"
*postive spin*

I think it has that "home grown" sound. he's trying to learn. He doesn't have any musical experience, and no budget for instruments; but he is so dedicated to music that he tries anyway. Listening to his songs evokes a feeling of a "beginning" in music.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwoOneFive

seriously man, if you think he is an excellent musician, you have no idea what real music is. 

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DualReaver
buyj3llo said:
"TwoOneFive said:
" said: exactly.  his music is extremely artificial sounding too"
*postive spin*

I think it has that "home grown" sound. he's trying to learn. He doesn't have any musical experience, and no budget for instruments; but he is so dedicated to music that he tries anyway. Listening to his songs evokes a feeling of a "beginning" in music."
Please can you explain your point about him not demeaning women?
buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By buyj3llo
DualReaver said:
"bigpig33 said:
;)"
I'm pretty sure thats not what it means. People just retroconed it. It obviously makes much more since in the context of the song, where it is related to the dance.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TwoOneFive

A real musician plays an INSTRUMENT at a professional level. he WRITES MUSiC and a professional level. he PERFORMS his INSTRUMENT playing that he WROTE. 

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DualReaver
buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:
"bigpig33 said:
;)"
I'm pretty sure thats not what it means. People just retroconed it. It obviously makes much more since in the context of the song, where it is related to the dance."
Nope that is what supaman that hoe means no joke.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive

said: lol "no budget for instruments"....hahaha funny one, are you here all week?

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blu_Magic
Shawn said:
"buyj3llo said:
"Karmum said:
If the teenagers are flocking to his music then it must not be shit to them. He has a talent for making music that his demographic likes."
You have a point, he suits the demographic he aims for, luckily for him that demographic has no good knowledge of music and are absolute thick heads. But just because everyone in that demographic likes him doesn't mean that people with other (much better) tastes in music won't call him a talentless moron.

In other words, a talentless moron isn't really one in the eyes of another talentless moron."
I'm in the teenage demographic and I hate Soulja Boy....
buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By buyj3llo
TwoOneFive said:
"A real musician plays an INSTRUMENT at a professional level. he WRITES MUSiC and a professional level. he PERFORMS his INSTRUMENT playing that he WROTE. "
Anything that can be used to make music could be considered an instrument. A lot of rap/techno artist would consider a computer an instrument since it is used to make music. And what is and is not  "professional level" is subjective; what is professional instrument playing  to "slash" probably isn't the same kind of professionalism that "fall lout boy" operate at. Does that mean that fall out boy's guitar player is not a real musician just because he can't play as well as slash? And what if you're not a "professional" musician at all? Can you still just be amateur musician? Because I probably enjoy a lot of "amateur" musician's work, and I don't see a problem with that.
tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By tokyochicken

I guess you can say that. His music is pretty much the lowest form of music, he has lyrics that have a very shallow meaning and the same tune and beat is repeated through the whole song. Ya I guess you can argue that its music, not good music though. But soulja boy himself doesn't play an instrument i dont beleive.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shawn
Blu_Magic said:
"Shawn said:
"buyj3llo said:
"Karmum said:

In other words, a talentless moron isn't really one in the eyes of another talentless moron."
I'm in the teenage demographic and I hate Soulja Boy...."
His demographic isn't just teenagers, its teenagers that have a knack for no talent.
DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By DARKIDO07
buyj3llo said:
"ITT: I defend Soulja boy.

People say he's no good, but I don't see it like that. Sure he's not the best lyricist but his songs aren't about selling / doing drugs and calling women bitches, which is a breath of fresh air from southern rappers in particular. I also appreciate his lyrical simplicity because it recalls of a time when hip-hop was just about having fun. He's not trying to change the world; he's just trying to make some simple fun songs that people can dance to and have a good time. It's party music.

You may not like his music, but give him a break. Soulja boy does his best to make music to entertain people; just like every other musician.

"
Yes because saying "Roosevelt that hoe" makes perfect sense and isnt't disrespectful to women at all. /sarcasm.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TwoOneFive

nobody, including a rap/techno artist considers a computer an instrument, its just a tool. an instrument has a very distinct definition. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TwoOneFive

perhaps the keyboard connected to the computer is an instrument. but not the computer. there has to be some kind of physical interaction that causes the music

buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By buyj3llo
DualReaver said:
"buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:
"bigpig33 said:
;)"
I'm pretty sure thats not what it means. People just retroconed it. It obviously makes much more since in the context of the song, where it is related to the dance."
Nope that is what supaman that hoe means no joke."
In the context of the song he talks about various other dances before and after the superman line. And the entire song is about a dance, not sex. If you interpret the superman line as a sexual innuendo, then it doesn't match up with the rest of the subject matter, however if you interpret it as a dance, then it makes sence.

Also, if you do the dance, the "super man" part intentionally matches up with the superman line of the song, further showing that it is in relation to the dance and not a sexual act.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DualReaver

Really Soulja boy is what's wrong with a lot of today's music.
There is no thought or meaning or hard work put into it, it's just a simple beat with bland shallow lyrics, but it's catchy and makes a lot of money.
Not many artists really put their hearts into their music anymore, it's all about money.

It's why this music isn't going to remembered like Tupacs', pink floyds', Led Zeppelins'. Rushs', Bob Marleys', The Beatles', Johnny Cashs', Gun N'Roses, ACDCs',  etc.

Acid_Muffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Acid_Muffin

tl;dr thread

However, I will say this: Joke Topic. The only good thing about soulja boy are those hilariously bad youtube remixes and watching pale suburban kids attempting to act hip by "dancing" to his song.

buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By buyj3llo
TwoOneFive said:
"perhaps the keyboard connected to the computer is an instrument. but not the computer. there has to be some kind of physical interaction that causes the music"
do you mean keyboard as in "qwerty"?
Avatar image for monty_the_great
Monty_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Monty_The_Great

I LOL at this thread when I read it. Soulja Boy, a musician? HAHA!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TwoOneFive

when i think of musician i think this:

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TwoOneFive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSulR9Fymg

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Clean

he's a smart hip hop artist. He made a hit made a lot of money I'm not hating him on that I'm hating on him because he thinks his music is comparable to the likes of Nas, Tupac, and other great rappers. No, I don't like your music Soulja Boi but your one smart lucky teenager living the life.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DualReaver
buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:
"buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:
"bigpig33 said:
;)"
In the context of the song he talks about various other dances before and after the superman line. And the entire song is about a dance, not sex. If you interpret the superman line as a sexual innuendo, then it doesn't match up with the rest of the subject matter, however if you interpret it as a dance, then it makes sence.

Also, if you do the dance, the "super man" part intentionally matches up with the superman line of the song, further showing that it is in relation to the dance and not a sexual act."
Here's the lryics you tard it's almost all sexual.

Soulja boy off in this hoe

Watch me crank it
watch me roll
watch me crank dat soulja boy
Then superman dat hoe

Now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)
now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)
now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)
now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)

Watch me lean and watch me rock
Superman dat hoe
Then watch me crank dat robocop
super fresh now watch me jock
jocking on them haterz man
When I do dat soulja boy
I lean to the left and crank dat dance
(now you)
I'm jocking on yo bitch ass
and if we get the fightin
then I'm jockin on yo bitch ass
you catch me at yo local party
yes I crank it everyday
haterz get mad cuz
"I got me some bathin apes"

I'm bouncin on my toe
watch me supersoak dat hoe
I'ma pass it to arab
then he gon pass it to the low (low)
haterz wanna be me
Soulja boy, I'm the man
They be lookin at my neck
sayin it's the rubberband man (man)
watch me do it (watch me do it)
dance (dance)
Let get to it (let get to it)
Nope, you cant do it like me
Hoe, so dont do it like me
Folk, I see you tryna do it like me
Man, that shit was ugly

watch me crank it
watch me roll
Then superman dat hoe
now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)
now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)
now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)
now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)

I'm to clean off this hoe
watch me crank it
watch me roll
watch me crank dat roosavelt
and supersoak dat hoe(x10)

I'm to fresh up in this bitch
watch me shuffle
watch me jig
watch me crank my shoulder work
superman that bitch

watch me crank it
watch me roll
then superman that hoe
now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)
now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)
now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)
now watch me do
(crank dat soulja boy)
buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By buyj3llo
DualReaver said:
"Really Soulja boy is what's wrong with a lot of today's music.
There is no thought or meaning or hard work put into it, it's just a simple beat with bland shallow lyrics, but it's catchy and makes a lot of money.
Not many artists really put their hearts into their music anymore, it's all about money.

It's why this music isn't going to remembered like Tupacs', pink floyds', Led Zeppelins'. Rushs', Bob Marleys', etc."
Thats' like saying people aren't going to remember Daft punk , or the sugar hill gang, or the Beastie Boys. Their songs had little substance and meaning other than being fun. I don't see a problem with fun music for fun's sake. Everything doesn't have to be deep and introspective. Sometimes it's just nice to dance and have a good that. Thats how those songs are going to be remembered. People are going to look back and remember simple, enjoyable times that they had.
Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shawn
buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:

It's why this music isn't going to remembered like Tupacs', pink floyds', Led Zeppelins'. Rushs', Bob Marleys', etc."
Thats' like saying people aren't going to remember Daft punk , or the sugar hill gang, or the Beastie Boys. Their songs had little substance and meaning other than being fun. I don't see a problem with fun music for fun's sake. Everything doesn't have to be deep and introspective. Sometimes it's just nice to dance and have a good that. Thats how those songs are going to be remembered. People are going to look back and remember simple, enjoyable times that they had."
Yes, simple times when I supermaned that hoe, that was a good time in my life. Not being inspired by people that pour their heart out for music, no of course not thats for saps
/sarcasm
Monty_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Monty_The_Great

The problem with the artist you named in comparison to Soulja Boy, they are actually good, where as, he is not, at all, not even a little.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TwoOneFive

he isn't a musician. bottom line. he is a performer. BIG DIFFERENCE. 

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DualReaver
buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:

Thats' like saying people aren't going to remember Daft punk , or the sugar hill gang, or the Beastie Boys. Their songs had little substance and meaning other than being fun. I don't see a problem with fun music for fun's sake. Everything doesn't have to be deep and introspective. Sometimes it's just nice to dance and have a good that. Thats how those songs are going to be remembered. People are going to look back and remember simple, enjoyable times that they had."
WTF I didn't say they wouldn't be remembered.
They do put work in their music.

Now read the fucking lyrics to Soulja Boy before you say it's all about dancing again please.
And stop talking out of your ass, you already proved that you are by saying he doesn't sing about bitches.
Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Major
buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:
how is he not a musician? he makes music. You may not like it but it still music."
SHE GOT A DONK
SHE GOT A DONK
SHE GOT A DONK
SHE GOT A DONK
SHE GOT A DONK
SHE GOT A DONK
SHE GOT A DONK
SHE GOT A DONK

^This... is not music.
Monty_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Monty_The_Great

sorry

buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By buyj3llo
DualReaver said:
"buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:
"buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:
"bigpig33 said:
;)"

Also, if you do the dance, the "super man" part intentionally matches up with the superman line of the song, further showing that it is in relation to the dance and not a sexual act."

*lyrics*
"
I don't see where they are. The word "hoe" and "bitch" don't necessarily refer to women all the time. When used as slang they can refer to anything ("That Homework was a bitch"). He isn't directly addressing a women (or anyone for that matter).

Maybe I shouldn't say that his music is never sexual. But I will say that it's never over the top. He never is direct about sexual intercourse in his 2007 album. The most sexual thing he will every say is "shake your booty" or something mild like that.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DualReaver
buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:
"buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:
"buyj3llo said:
"DualReaver said:
"bigpig33 said:
;)"

*lyrics*
"
I don't see where they are. The word "hoe" and "bitch" don't necessarily refer to women all the time. When used as slang they can refer to anything ("That Homework was a bitch"). He isn't directly addressing a women (or anyone for that matter).

Maybe I shouldn't say that his music is never sexual. But I will say that it's never over the top. He never is direct about sexual intercourse in his 2007 album. The most sexual thing he will every say is "shake your booty" or something mild like that.
"
SOULJA BOY OFF IN THIS HOE.
Are you a troll?
Seriously I'm thinking you are at this point no one can seriously be this fucking stupid.
buyj3llo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By buyj3llo
TwoOneFive said:
"when i think of musician i think this:"
TwoOneFive said:
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSulR9Fymg"

When I think of music I think this: