Avatar image for acidbrandon18
#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (1235 posts) -

It is a show on Hulu where Kevin Smith and other people talk about a movie that they just saw. I like it because I think Kevin Smith is a pretty cool dude. What do you guys think of the show?

Avatar image for mooseymcman
#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12540 posts) -

It's not about Kevin Smith talking about the spoilers on the backs of cars? All my interest is gone.

Avatar image for tylea002
#3 Posted by Tylea002 (2382 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

It's not about Kevin Smith talking about the spoilers on the backs of cars? All my interest is gone.

That, I'd watch. I'm sure Dante and Randal would have something to say about Spoilers and their uses on cars. But no, it's his Movie "anti-review" show. I haven't seen it, the UK doesn't get hulu, but Kevin Smith is really hard to like. He hasn't made a good film in 6 years, and he hasn't made a great one in far far longer. I sometimes listen to his podcasts, but it gets a bit tiring when he is the most obsessed person with sex. The same fucking sexual topics over and over.

Maybe a show fully about films is interesting.

Avatar image for werupenstein
#4 Posted by Kidavenger (4168 posts) -

@Tylea002: Red State was decent.

Avatar image for wjb
#5 Posted by wjb (1905 posts) -

Kevin "I'm totally running out of things to do so I resort to shows involving my deadbeat friends managing my comic book store on AMC and now me talking about what goddamn movie I just saw because apparently my opinion still has some pull to certain people on Hulu" Smith

Good to know he's still rocking the hockey jerseys and jorts at age 40. Yeesh.

I'll see my way out...

Avatar image for tylea002
#6 Posted by Tylea002 (2382 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Tylea002: Red State was decent.

I haven't seen Zak and Miri (or Cop Out, but that doesn't count), but to me, Red State was easily his worst film by a runaway mile.

Avatar image for werupenstein
#7 Edited by Kidavenger (4168 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Tylea002: Red State was decent.

I haven't seen Zak and Miri (or Cop Out, but that doesn't count), but to me, Red State was easily his worst film by a runaway mile.

Jersey Girl is his worst film by far, worse than Cop Out, Zack and Miri was actually pretty good and I forgot about it, Red State was a complete departure from his usual style so if you went into it expecting a "Kevin Smith" movie, I can see people being disappointed, but it was pretty good and completely batshit insane.

None of them compare to his first three movies though.

@will_leisure: Listen to their podcast; TESD, it's great, much better and the reason they got the AMC show.

Avatar image for tylea002
#8 Edited by Tylea002 (2382 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Tylea002 said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Tylea002: Red State was decent.

I haven't seen Zak and Miri (or Cop Out, but that doesn't count), but to me, Red State was easily his worst film by a runaway mile.

Jersey Girl is his worst film by far, worse than Cop Out, Zack and Miri was actually pretty good and I forgot about it, Red State was a complete departure from his usual style so if you went into it expecting a "Kevin Smith" movie, I can see people being disappointed, but it was pretty good and completely batshit insane.

None of them compare to his first three movie though.

@will_leisure: Listen to their podcast; TESD, it's great, much better and the reason they got the AMC show.

I am enjoying this Red State debate. I shall continue; Jersey Girl isn't as bad as people say it is, has some funny lines in it at least, and whilst it has an awful sappy ending, and is Kevin Smith on autopilot, there was nothing awfully awful about it, it was just so mediocre it hurt. Red State isn't that - no one will think it to be Mediocre, you will love or hate, and I hated. It didn't have a main character, it killed characters for no reasons except to throw curveballs, it had the worst ending of all time ever, and the biggest crime: It wanted so hard to be a satire, but couldn't figure out who to be angry at. Dogma was specifically angry at organised religion, and not faith in general. It hat a focus, and the satire worked far better for it. In red state, you get 2D cut outs of cop parody figures, and religious zealot parody figures, everyone is despicable in ways that aren't believable, and the movie has no characters to care about. It was a far cry from the Smith that wrote characters that were despicable in believable ways, and in spite of (or perhaps because of) this were still likable.

That's my two cents on the issue. I guess I applaud that he didn't just go back to autopilot romantic comedies, and tried something different, but it just didn't work to me.

EDIT: Walt Flanagan is a funnier man than Smith, it's quite surprising how in those podcasts his "deadbeat friends" manage to out-class him in the comedy department.

Avatar image for doctordanger99
#9 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (745 posts) -

ive been a big fan of smith since the first clerks. but it seems im starting to realize he is a one note kinda guy. unless he's doing one of the jay and silent bob movies, mallrats,clerks or dogma, then he really isnt that great. which a shame. because when he does what he does best,theres nothing better.

that and it seems like he's trying be a stand up comedian or a talk show host and that just doesnt mesh well. i wish he would just shut the fuck up and make clerks 3 allready.

Avatar image for tylea002
#10 Posted by Tylea002 (2382 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99: If he was to make Clerks 3, he'd make it a broadway play.

You still want him to drag Randal and Dante out again?

Avatar image for bofooq
#11 Posted by BoFooQ (986 posts) -

red state had good points, but all over I didn't much care for it. I had to watch it in 3 parts cause I would get bored or tired after an hour. If he had maybe cut some of it out or moved it along alot faster it would have been better, maybe. Either way its not my kind of movie.

Avatar image for ghostiet
#12 Edited by Ghostiet (5832 posts) -

I like his Q&A's, but his podcast persona was completely unbearable to me, so I guess it's a pass. 

On a complete side note... It's kind of amazing a dude that made Chasing Amy did shit like Zack & Miri or Cop Out, so I'd prefer he just leave it alone. Clerks 2 was a great movie, I doubt Clerks 3 would be even a quarter as good.

Avatar image for theht
#13 Posted by TheHT (14307 posts) -

I'd rather watch Rorie and Alex talk about the movie they just saw.

Online
Avatar image for sarnecki
#14 Posted by Sarnecki (1187 posts) -

Wait so now Smith is a film critic? I thought he hated the concept.

Avatar image for tescovee
#15 Posted by tescovee (386 posts) -

I'm a pretty big fan of the Kevin Smith and some of the smodco shit, but this show is tough to watch. Between Kevin haming it up for the camera and the canned response from the "crowd " it made me wince. 6 minutes was all I could take.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
#16 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6117 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Tylea002: Red State was decent.

Red State was God awful. Kevin Smith should have been a stand up comedian...ok maybe not, but the dude is a pretty good speaker.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

You might not like his movies, but how can you hate the guy?

Avatar image for starvinggamer
#17 Posted by StarvingGamer (11360 posts) -

I'd be more interested if it was just Kevin Smith talking because he talks good.

Still, I wouldn't mind putting it on in the background while I grind in Diablo III.

Avatar image for jaydee
#18 Posted by JayDee (446 posts) -

@TheHT said:

I'd rather watch Rorie and Alex talk about the movie they just saw.

this. i miss screened. 8-(

Avatar image for dallas_raines
#19 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2269 posts) -

@Sarnecki:

Yeah, that's the part I don't get about this show. Is he just overwhelmingly positive about everything he sees?

Avatar image for uhtaree
#20 Posted by Uhtaree (763 posts) -

God, Kevin Smith's career really had a sad trajectory after Dogma or maybe Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. You couldn't pay me to watch some of those movies of his from the last 10 years. I'll give this show a try it sounds just stupid enough to be funny for a few minutes.

Avatar image for clstirens
#21 Posted by clstirens (854 posts) -

@braveortega said:

God, Kevin Smith's career really had a sad trajectory after Dogma or maybe Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. You couldn't pay me to watch some of those movies of his from the last 10 years. I'll give this show a try it sounds just stupid enough to be funny for a few minutes.

No sarcasm when I say this. He's made movies since Dogma?

Avatar image for redbullet685
#22 Posted by Redbullet685 (6453 posts) -

@clstirens said:

@braveortega said:

God, Kevin Smith's career really had a sad trajectory after Dogma or maybe Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. You couldn't pay me to watch some of those movies of his from the last 10 years. I'll give this show a try it sounds just stupid enough to be funny for a few minutes.

No sarcasm when I say this. He's made movies since Dogma?

Lets see here

  • Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)
  • Jersey Girl (2004)
  • Clerks 2 (2006)
  • Zack and Miri Make a Porno (2008)
  • Cop Out (2010)
  • Red State (2011)

All directed and most written by Kevin Smith (Cop Out being the film not written by him).

Avatar image for clstirens
#23 Posted by clstirens (854 posts) -

@Redbullet685: Huh. The only one I've seen is Strike back, which was ok. Man, I've only heard bad about cop out... didn't know it was Kevin Smith

Avatar image for tylea002
#24 Posted by Tylea002 (2382 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Tylea002 said:

Dogma was specifically angry at organised religion, and not faith in general. It hat a focus, and the satire worked far better for it.

Big rubber poop-monster.

If you are willing to argue the merits of Kevin Smith as a satirist you've already lost. He makes goofy, tone-deaf, visually inept, half-assed nonsense which falls into the broader categories of "funny" or "not funny." I like most of his work but I can't even begin to pretend that there's any depth to his ouvre. Kevin Smith is all surface all the time.

I never said he was perfect, or amazing, I just thing Dogma works as a film. And in that film alone, I shall argue the merits of him as a satirist, because it's a funny film with a target that comes out lampooned. That's what satire is. Satire doesn't have to be deep, and Kevin Smith is never deep. Except in the first Clerks, that actually had depth. Miss those days.

Avatar image for lastninja
#25 Posted by LastNinja (296 posts) -

After reading all the bad stuff about Red State I was pleasantly surprised when I forced myself to watch it. I thought it was great, a bit unconventional here and there but still great. I'm no die hard Kevin Smith fan but I really liked Clerks, Dogma and Red State.

Avatar image for ds8k
#26 Posted by ds8k (431 posts) -

@clstirens: He only directed Cop Out.

Avatar image for teflonbilly
#27 Posted by TeflonBilly (4742 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

@rebgav said:

@Tylea002 said:

Dogma was specifically angry at organised religion, and not faith in general. It hat a focus, and the satire worked far better for it.

Big rubber poop-monster.

If you are willing to argue the merits of Kevin Smith as a satirist you've already lost. He makes goofy, tone-deaf, visually inept, half-assed nonsense which falls into the broader categories of "funny" or "not funny." I like most of his work but I can't even begin to pretend that there's any depth to his ouvre. Kevin Smith is all surface all the time.

I never said he was perfect, or amazing, I just thing Dogma works as a film. And in that film alone, I shall argue the merits of him as a satirist, because it's a funny film with a target that comes out lampooned. That's what satire is. Satire doesn't have to be deep, and Kevin Smith is never deep. Except in the first Clerks, that actually had depth. Miss those days.

Dogma was such a missed oppurtunity in my eyes. I remember reading drafts of the script before it came out and thought it actually might be quite a grand affair, but in the hands of Smiths direction and the uneven casting it lost the potential movie I had hoped for. Rubber poop monster notwithstanding.

I found myself surprisingly enjoying Comic Book Men even though it was rather waja at the start. Walt Flanagan's a funny guy and I do like the comic book curiosities it features.

I've kinda cooled off on Smith over the years. None of his films with the exception of Clerks 2 have really come close to his original trilogy for me and his antics outside of his movie oeuvre comes off as rather petulant and bitchy at times. I did like the first Evening With Kevin Smith a lot, the guy can spin a good yarn, but his podcasts and such haven't really clicked with me.