Staff Growth and New Hire Speculation Fun

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I've said it before but Jenn Frank is great and would absolutely be my choice. But I'm not sure she would want to deal with the inevitable whining and moaning that would accompany any new person joining the staff.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By koolaid

Hell, I'd vote for Jenn Frank after today's morning show.

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By VeggiesBro

As long as the new hire(s) get along well with the crew as well as providing a unique dimension to the site and its content, i'm sold. I trust that the right person will be found and that things will work out for the best.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@viciousbearmauling:

I think you're missing a step.

Tim Schafer blows all the Double Fine money on hookers and blow.

Double Fine goes under

Brad Muir joins Giant Bomb

Brad Shoemaker and Brad Muir kill Jeff, Vinny and Drew.

Brad kills Brad so he can absorb his powers and become SuperBrad.

Giant Bomb is now a DotA2 website.

There we are.

Sounds like the plot to a Highlander sequel.....

Loading Video...

Just replace Duncan McLeod with Brad Muir 0_o

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

I've said it before but Jenn Frank is great and would absolutely be my choice. But I'm not sure she would want to deal with the inevitable whining and moaning that would accompany any new person joining the staff.

It was a total accident that I posted that right after you.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I have no idea, but It's exciting to speculate though. I really just hope this year marks a healthy expansion for Giant Bomb. New people, new features, more jokes and more awesome shenanigans that loosely revolve around video games.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of curiosity why do people want the GB staff to get bigger? I don't mean hiring engineers or production people but actual editors? The appeal of Giant Bomb is that it's a small group of people doing fun/dumb stuff. The larger the editorial staff gets, the less connected and (for lack of a better term) intimate the whole thing is.

Well they lost two of the main people that were in videos last year. I like some of Patrick's videos but most of the time I can barely tell he works at Giant Bomb, even more so with Alex. Alex is one of my favorite guys on the staff but besides the occasional bombastica he's pretty much invisible to me in terms of content. This may sound harsh but I'd rather see Patrick and Alex let go in favor of people that can actually be in the office and interact in most videos.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@topsteer said:

@oldirtybearon said:

Out of curiosity why do people want the GB staff to get bigger? I don't mean hiring engineers or production people but actual editors? The appeal of Giant Bomb is that it's a small group of people doing fun/dumb stuff. The larger the editorial staff gets, the less connected and (for lack of a better term) intimate the whole thing is.

Well they lost two of the main people that were in videos last year. I like some of Patrick's videos but most of the time I can barely tell he works at Giant Bomb, even more so with Alex. Alex is one of my favorite guys on the staff but besides the occasional bombastica he's pretty much invisible to me in terms of content. This may sound harsh but I'd rather see Patrick and Alex let go in favor of people that can actually be in the office and interact in most videos.

I don't think the appeal is that it's a small group, it's that it's a good group. The worry is that whoever they hire won't have that GB "magic", but they seem really careful about that so I trust them. Jeff has said time and time again that his goal with this website is to make cool things that people want to watch. I have no doubt he'll only hire people who help realize that vision, whether it's on or off camera. But a larger in-office on-camera crew would definitely be a good thing.

Mathematics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Arthur Gies or Jeff Green show up and I'm out of here. Can't stress that enough.

My vote is to bring Dave back.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has Arthur Gies ever interacted with Giant Bomb before and who is he/why do people seem to despise him?

And I'm for bringing on anyone who can have fun and be stupid while also knowing when to be serious and have some insightful discussion about video games. So, since I only know enough about these two, I'd say Jeff Green and Danny O'Dwyre.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's gonna be weird when the fued is ended and Giantbomb merges with Rooster Teeth. Keep track of Geoff and Jeff is going to be tough.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ch3burashka

A wizard, none of this monk bullshit.

SORCERER OR DIE MOTHERFUCKER

Also, not a fan of... staff growths...

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Christoffer

I'd like to see someone new who can fill out a more fleshed producer/host role for the video content. All this raw Let's Play footage has taken over a bit too much, for me. Especially when the guys are not in a very energetic mood, I just shut it off.

Basically, a little more vision and a little more production value. Not only "Hey, I wanted to play this anyways and I needed to make some content today"

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By probablytuna

I'd like to see someone relatively unknown but that the guys have known for years just so he/she can bring in something fresh but can still feel like home with all the GB shenanigans.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

john t drake's head on eric pope's body :\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really do not care who it is as long they have chemistry together. That was also the reason I did mostly not like these giantbomb/gamespot shows. Most of them did not fit in very well.

Vladd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any official words from the duders about this?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i do agree if they add someone, whoever they add will most likely be utterly\unfairly detested. even if they're relativitely well known.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#119  Edited By fattony12000

I'll gladly run the control room for them.

Still waiting for the call.

Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am pretty sure it will be Dave Lang and/or Johnny Vignocchi. Johnny will have two shows, one with Jeff ('J's and the jar", it will be just the two of them talking about whatever) and one with Vinny ("To Vinn or not to Vign")

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By cheesebob

Ice Cube

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

As a fellow Irishman, Danny gets my vote, great onscreen rapport with the rest of the crew.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any ideas of who they should get but they definitely should get 1-2 editors/on screen guys in the office and probably a video dude so vinny and drew can be in content together easier

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@kaineda77: I'm pretty sure that with the money Disney's bringing in off of Infinity, that Johnny V could simply buy Giant Bomb, never mind work for them. But I agree with the sentiment that it should be a veteran dev.

ogto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dave snider, carrie, danny, jeff green, brad muir, rich, drake, etc. would all be pretty awesome picks, at least on paper.

it's not gonna be any of them. it's gonna be someone no on expects, and people will be mad about it, but they'll get over it.

this ain't no hollywood ending yo

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jared Rea just left Twitch.

They're missing someone with real hosting abilities like Ryan had.

Really? that would have my vote with Danny O'Dwyer

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I certainly wouldn't mind GB getting more staff if that allowed for a greater variety in content. To me, it just feels like Patrick is creating the most amount right now with daily spelunky, his recent trip through Dark Souls, spookin, scoops and the wolf as well as his interviews, articles and worth playing. Right now it just seems the main crew are happy to just produce a quick look every now and then and everything else be premium content.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By SomeJerk

I want somebody able to cover RPG, JRPG and other games they could not cover even when they had two more there. Hire a transexual nazi eskimo, as long as it's somebody caring for more than Halo Gears and Forza. Would be a shame to have the impending treasure trove of Japanese-made console games coming this generation go mostly ignored and I'm talking about the ones that get localized. Hopefully that stays with the last generation of gaming and journalism though.

I'd need medical to manage that job with my disease, but at least I'm not a nazi.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be cool to get another community member. They got Ian from the community and I personally feel like he was a very important part in my two favourite features of the year. Pathfinder and Load Our Last Souls. I was sad to hear of him leaving because I felt like he was finally starting to get used to the lights and cameras of the big set.

But I understand hiring a community member is a tough thing to do They would almost have to have an American Idol style hiring process where they receive user made Quick Looks and written reviews, which for them would be a huge amount of work. It would be a fun process to watch and I would probably participate in myself.

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Female perspective

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No thanks to every choice in here, all of them are bad and you all should feel bad. I feel like they got hella lucky with Patrick though because love him or hate him, he's goddamn good at his job and he meshed very will with the crew on the Bombcast and that is EXTREMELY important. Let's not turn this into Weekend Confirmed please and add ......... nevermind, if you can'r say something nice, right? Anyway, no thanks, GB crew is fine as is.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By NMC2008

@jennibelle said:

Female perspective

NO! Weekend Confirmed was ruined by female perspective and I have not listened since, but I do read the NeoGAF thread and it sounds awful everytime she's on, have not read it lately though, but I will not say anything else here because a big ass debate will break out and we don't need that shit right now.

I am only speaking about the bombcast and nothing else.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By alwaysbebombing

@planetfunksquad said:

John Drake. He could use his management experience to go to meetings for Jeff, freeing him up for videos. Also he would add at least 40% more sexy to the site.

Only 40%? Have you seen that man?

I'm pretty excited for new staff. I hope that they are similar in humor and tastes as the current Giant Bomb staff. I get all of the love of video games I could ever want, without a huge amount of social commentary. I'm really glad Jeff has been able to run a site without it turning into something like polygon (no offense intended to polygon, I just don't enjoy their style of reporting video games. Please do not call me mean things.) Hell as long as the spirit of Giant Bomb continues, I don't care who they hire.

(Just no mashup/crossover with Gamespot, please.)

(John Drake is such a cutey, let's be serious for a minute.)

EDIT: I trust Jeff, and everyone else, to make good choices.

Astromarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Astromarine

Leigh Alexander.

Would be fantastic, but she's still in the UK

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nmc2008: it's not a question of if but rather when. Jeff has said several times recently that he is looking at hiring more people this year.

Jared, Danny and Jeff green are all good suggestions but I doubt any of them will happen.

It's got to be a real head scratcher for Jeff.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#137  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@nmc2008 said:

@jennibelle said:

Female perspective

NO! Weekend Confirmed was ruined by female perspective and I have not listened since, but I do read the NeoGAF thread and it sounds awful everytime she's on, have not read it lately though, but I will not say anything else here because a big ass debate will break out and we don't need that shit right now.

Let one woman speak for them all eh?

Jeff Green get HYPE.

xite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Riff Raff. Rap Video game James Franco.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#139  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I can't tell if some of you are being serious or not when you're suggesting people that are already happily employed...especially the ones that are deeply entrenched on the development side of things.

@nmc2008 said:

My personal opinion on the matter is that Weekend Confirmed was getting pretty darn difficult to listen to long before any "female perspective" entered the picture. And besides, there's absolutely no reason to let one bad experience sour you on roughly 50% of the population. Let's be a bit more open minded than that.

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Danny O'Dwyer would be my only choice, but we know that won't happen.

From skimming through this thread it seems a few people don't notice the lack of enthusiasm and stress lately from the guys, but it shows and its obvious. Besides Engineers and whatnot to handle backend nonsense I think they do need an editor to help reinvigorate them a bit and perhaps do some of the hosting. I love Jeff and he's been great on the Bombcast, but his style doesn't translate well to live streams like Unprofessional Fridays. Vinny's better in that area, but I guess he has his hands full with everything else.

Anyway, the next several months should be interesting. It's slowly starting to stagnate.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

GB needs both extra crew and engineers that's for sure, but the staff have been pretty good at picking new crew members so far, so I'm sure it'll be someone cool. Secret unrealistic hope is Carrie Gouskos..

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also would like to see more than one female perspective. We don't need the token girl of the crew. Want it to just be natural. Maybe a future wife for Jeff as well.

lil_cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#143  Edited By lil_cheeks

I would take Rich Gallup in a heartbeat. He would add back the professionalism that was lost when Ryan passed.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

While Shawn Elliott does work in the dev side he has expressed interest in still writing editorial pieces about the games industry if he had an outlet to publish it. I'd love to see a monthly or even weekly piece by him, even if that doesn't add a person to the office staff.

Personally I think some of the personalities that used to be on the 1UP Show (which Patrick was a series regular) could be great. But NOT the artsy people, Patrick does enough of that. I like Shane Bettenheusen but he would be a too polarizing. Sean Baby? Other dudes on broken pixels?

Shane works at Sony with Matt Bodega under Adam Boyes. Man, those guys should do a weekly show from their office.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#145  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@drx25 said:

Has Arthur Gies ever interacted with Giant Bomb before and who is he/why do people seem to despise him?

Picture every complaint ever levied at Patrick Klepek magnified by 10; now add self-righteous posturing and hypocritical flip-flopping. He is the literal worst.

I don't know why I'm so worried about an influx of new editors, but I really think (maybe irrationally) that Giant Bomb would be risking its identity to do that. It's a very specific atmosphere here, and it's one that other sites have tried (and failed) to replicate. If they really need the extra hands then I guess whatever, but the farther we get from four dudes in some basement making parodies of rap beef videos the more I miss that era.

edit: if they absolutely must hire somebody, maybe get Robert Ashley? I don't really care about him writing for the site so much as I want him to have a steady job where he can produce more episodes of A Life Well Wasted. That was a great podcast/radio thing/NPR knock off/whatever.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope they hire non-caucasian lesbian woman. Time to end this hetero dominant white boys club shit!

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say hire a completely unknown guy that's passionate about the media and writing.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#148  Edited By Gabriel

They should hire an actual scientist so I don't have to keep listening to the painful conversations every week on the podcast.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: Robert's wife has a really well paying job in Georgia. He seems perfectly happy living the rural lifestyle and making music. I don't see him moving back to San Francisco.

@drx25 said:

He is in the quick look for Kinectimals: Now with Bears. Him and Jeff also did a panel at PAX one year about reviews. Here it is tacked on at the end of his podcast. It starts around the 1:40 mark. Rebel FM

A lot of people don't like him because he seems to be a bit full of himself. I personally respect him for how highly he values quality and integrity in his work.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Or they should just poach from Gamebomb, even better if they speak no English.