Star Wars 8 and 9 to be directed by Rian Johnson

• 90 results
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I have actually not watched any of his movies, but I'm intrigued.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

Looper was cool

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@bisonhero: I really like the first movie, but Into Darkness kind of shit the bed. I blame that more on Lindelof and Orci/Kurtzman than Abrams, though.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By senrat

He directed one of the best episodes of the best tv series ever. Ozymandias was incredible. I dont really need any more proof that this guy is qualified. He obviously can get the very best performances from actors.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I was hoping for Neill Blomkamp. He's really good at melding cgi with live action and he manages to make advanced technology look gritty and dirty like Star Wars should be.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Excited about this prospect, but more excited to see Rorie starting a thread about movie news. Bittersweet. :/

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Great! Brick was awesome and I haven't seen Looper.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Updated info said he was only in line for directing & writing episode 8 not 9.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By MetalBaofu

@metalbaofu: Yeah well I hate you for not hating them as much as I do (not really)

Aside: Revenge of the Sith was a pretty good action movie; also some glorious unintentional humor.

Yeah, of those three, Revenge of the Sith is the one I disliked the least. All I remember about Phantom Menace is Darth Maul and pod racing. I don't remember shit about Attack of the Clones(I even just had to look up what it was called). One of my big problems with them(and any prequel really) is that you pretty much already know what is going to happen to certain characters and stuff.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Looper so I'm pumped. Hope he does well.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@bisonhero said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@bisonhero said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@bisonhero said:

@dallas_raines: Yeah, but I think it's one of the main reasons that people give him a hard time, even if Lindelof and Cuse are more directly responsible for how that show turned out.

I think the recent Star Trek movies probably have more to do with it at this point.

Are people really livid about that though? Like, sure, it turned Star Trek into Star Wars basically, but at least it revitalized any interest in Star Trek, given that there hasn't been a TV show in quite some time and the last few movies based around Next Generation weren't so hot.

I imagine there are more people upset over what he's done with Star Trek than people who are still angry at him over Lost (especially since he really had next to nothing to do with Lost after that first episode). He turned Star Trek into actiony popcorn movies. People got super pissed about the changes in DMC. People are strange.

When you're a stranger.

Faces look ugly.

When you're alone.

This is good news! I'm a fan of Rian's work and I can't really say the same for JJ Abrams. Anamorphic lens flare aside, Abrams is a decent director. He's got a decent eye for visuals, he's good at actually directing his actors and he knows how to direct action, but he's too entangled in this group that seems to be THE go-to creative force in Hollywood right now, guys like Orci and Kurtzman and Lindelof, and I think all their writing is pretty atrocious and very lazy.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I really like the first movie, but Into Darkness kind of shit the bed. I blame that more on Lindelof and Orci/Kurtzman than Abrams, though.

Seems like every time I see you post, I find myself agreeing with you. This is just another example of that.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For now.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By mrcraggle

Looper fell into the trap of being overly ambitious and getting to a point where they obviously ran out of money or at least were hindered by a lack of it. It also doesn't help that the film had massive pacing issues in the second half. I really loved Brick although I never got around to watching Brothers Bloom so I'm hoping that with more money, Rian Johnson can deliver.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By Andorski

I really liked Looper, so yay?

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Cool. I literally 5 minutes ago finished watching Looper, and I really liked it. I like the cut of his jib.

Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

There is no room in my life for these mindless, poorly acted, pencil thin dialog, wall to wall action blockbusters. One big CGI action sequence followed by another. I'd rather play a game about it if that's all it is. Doesn't matter the director. If Disney wants to drive Star Wars further down this rat hole they will, and whoever they put at the helm will just guide the boat were they say.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By Evilsbane

I'm very excited by this. Looper was a fantastic movie, so I'm hoping these keep up the same level of quality.

I guess I need to finally watch Looper so I can form an opinion on this director.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got excited for a second thinking you were going to say Rhianna.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somberowl said:

@fredchuckdave said:

So, time travel then?

If they put time travel in Star Wars I'll be more upset than I was when I saw the prequels.

What if they use time travel to retcon some of the dumber elements of the prequels?

They would need to dedicate an entire movie to making it so the prequels never happened. Like X-Men Days of Future Past did with X1, X2, and X3. I would still hate it, time travel would be the worst thing to introduce to Star Wars.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

I'm very excited by this. Looper was a fantastic movie, so I'm hoping these keep up the same level of quality.

I guess I need to finally watch Looper so I can form an opinion on this director.

You should watch Brick too. Noir in a high school setting. It's really good.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By koolaid

This is insane to me. I'll believe it when I see it. Rian Johnson waaaay better then JJ Abrams in my opinion.

Not that Abrams is bad per say. He makes great exciting commercial stuff. But Johnson is a director that pushes the envelope. I feel like I already know what a Abrams star wars looks like, but this gets me excited for the future of Star Wars for the first time since... I don't know when?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well I liked Looper, so I'm fine with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alternate headline:

Disney remembers that JJ Abrams is directing the latest Star Wars film, takes appropriate action.

Hahahahahaha!

God damn, this made me laugh too hard.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, the guy who directed 3 of the best episodes of Breaking Bad is writing and directing 8 and 9?

I approve of this decision.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great news. Been a fan of his work since Brick.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

bremaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's pretty cool. I enjoyed Looper and Brick and I can see him doing a good movie. I don't know how good he'll do after Abrams, but we will see I suppose.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#79  Edited By hollitz

I liked Brick. I like Star Wars (even episodes 1-3!). Cool.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is probably my favourite (I don't care what spell check says) piece of movie news this year. Counteracts the Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man news...

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@jakob187 said:

@thehumandove said:

Why the JJ hate? :(

Lens flare, for starters.

To be fair, he's even acknowledged it and thinks with Star Trek he's gone way too far -- so he'll probably consciously avoid it in the future.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This is probably my favourite (I don't care what spell check says) piece of movie news this year. Counteracts the Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man news...

Oh I dunno dude. Edgar Wright making Ant-Man would've gotten me to go see Ant-Man.

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Refactored

@theht: Sorry, Yeah that's what I meant. I've been wanting the Edgar Wright\Ant-Man movie since Hot Fuzz came out. I even asked him about it at a screening and that's over 6 years ago now.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ninnanuam

I loved Brick, and I thought Looper was pretty good although the plot sorta ran dry by the end.

Also count me as one of the doubters on JJ Abrams, I didn't like his Star Trek at all.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By fattony12000

This is great.

You get J.J in to do his Super 8/Star Trek style referential/nostalgic/bombastic opening to the new trilogy, and then you follow it up with someone who knows how to work with/write a script and then execute on it properly.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Never heard of this gentleman.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#89  Edited By cornbredx

I haven't seen most of this guys films, but Looper was pretty good.

That being said I don't see how this guy fits directing a sci/fi epic sequel, but that doesn't mean he can't. We'll see how this goes I guess.

@damodar said:
@theht said:
@bisonhero said:

@pyromagnestir said:

... People are strange.

When you're a stranger.

Faces look ugly.

When you're alone.

Women seem wicked

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that's kind of dumpy how they're going with the same director for two movies, I figured they would have someone different at the helm for each one, ala the original trilogy.

Nonetheless, it must have been something Johnson did to really woo everybody. I love his work, so I'm excited.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By notdavid

Looper was neat, and Brick is one of my all time favorites. He also does some great work with The Mountain Goats. I was lucky enough to grab a rare-ish copy of Life of the World to Come, a concert film they shot with no audience and one take.

I have zero interest in Star Wars, but I'm on board for some sci fi epics directed by JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson. Even if they are named Star Wars and have dumb laser swords.