Star Wars Character Poll (SPOILER)

• 69 results
skuski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Poll Star Wars Character Poll (SPOILER) (474 votes)

Rey is definitely Luke's daughter. 49%
Rey is the daughter of Han and Leia. 7%
Rey is not a part of the Skywalker bloodline. 38%
Who is Rey? 6%

Just speculating Rey's family history, as this is a big topic following the film. I think that it is very very unlikely that Rey is the daughter of Han and Leia based on the movie. I think she is Luke's daughter, because she is very strong in the force (based on the movie) and a non-Skywalker super Jedi would be a mistake in my humble opinion. The Star Wars storyline is centered around the Skywalker family and a deviation from that would be disappointing. Rumors are that Rey's mother hid her on Jakku to protect her from the Jedi and the turmoil that follows the Skywalker family.

• 
Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Rey is my favourite character in the whole Star Wars universe right now, and although I would love for her to be of an entirely new bloodline of Jedi, she is SO OBVIOUSLY alluded to be Luke's daughter it isn't funny.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

skuski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To expand a little more on my previous thought, the focal point of Star Wars is the Skywalker family. It is the consistent through-line in all six movies. I think that it would be a mistake to deviate from that formula and introduce another "super family" for the sake of mixing things up. Every other new character checks that box, with the exception of Ben Solo (e.g., Po and Finn). I guess I'm also clinging to anything that will justify her quick acclimation to the force and ability to hold her own against Kylo... Finally, I think it would be really weird if Anakin/Luke's lightsaber was calling to a complete "stranger."

As an aside, how the heck did they find that lightsaber on Bespin...

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By petethepanda

It's hard to say. They've clearly set up her parentage as a capitol-m Mystery, but we won't really know how the Disney-era Star Wars handles those until it has a couple more movies under its belt.

The simplest answer is that she's Luke's daughter. I'd like to think she's not, since there would have been little reason to not reveal such an obvious "twist" in the first movie beyond arbitrarily holding it back for the Come Back Next Summer factor (see also: the last couple years of Marvel movies), but it does seem likely. If it is indeed the case, I hope Rian Johnson clears it up within the first few minutes of VIII and moves on.

Personally, I'd like it if she had no ties to the old cast (it's not like the Force was only strong in a single family), but I was one of the crazies that would have been on board with a movie that hardly featured Han, Leia and Luke at all.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it wouldn't surprise me if she was a Skywalker but I would be bummed if she was. For the galaxy to be so big that Han, Leia, and Luke are MYTH to people on Jakku but the main stories to have every major character tied to the family in some way would suck in a way.

As long as it's explained, I'll be fine either way.

(Also the Helmet wasn't Luke's and the doll wasn't of him)

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My personal dream is that she ends up being somehow related to Emperor Palpatine. Especially if it turned out she was some weird clone type thing. Could explain her massive innate force ability at least?

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope the story isn't that simplistic like it has been in every film so far...

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By justicejanitor

I feel like she's Luke's daughter or maybe Kailo Ren's sister or something like that. That being said that would be too easy and boring. I've seen other theories floating around and I really like this one that says she might be related to Obi Wan Kenobi.

Loading Video...

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will be genuinely annoyed if Rey ends up being Luke's daughter.

I guess I better prepare for the worst.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ToySoldier83

I ascribe to this theory (not my video).

Loading Video...

I prefer it because it does two things, it makes her a brand new character not related to anyone by blood, but also she is still connected to the Skywalker legacy, which Star Wars is all about and makes her antagonistic relationship with Kylo Ren even more interesting.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Just came back from a second showing... the only reason you can assume she is a skywalker is from the flashback, because they don't show who her parents are.

There's no evidence to support that she is or isn't. This poll should be "You hope she's a skywalker" vs. " You hope she isn't a skywalker."

I hope she isn't. For fucks sake don't let them rehash the mystery family member theme from the old movies. MAKE HER SOMEONE NEW AND DIFFERENT.

Why can't rey stand on her own? Why does she need to be the daughter of some great man to be a standout woman? Fuck that.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By petethepanda

The timeline doesn't seem to line up (she'd probably be like 40 at this point, and it'd be kind of weird to say she's someone's grandchild and not a direct child) but the Kenobi idea would be pretty cool.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@theht said:
@a_e_martin said:

@theht: @monkeyking1969: The thing that goes against the theory of Obi-Wan (and Luke, I guess, by extension) being Rey's father is that Jedi are forbidden from forming attachments and romantic relationships. I could maybe see Luke going against the Jedi Code, but not Obi-Wan.

Also, if Rey were related to Obi-Wan, that would kind of create an inconsistency with the original trilogy. If Obi-Wan had a child in the time between episodes III and IV, and assuming Rey would turn out to be the child of this child, why would Obi-Wan and Yoda assume that Luke and Leia were their "last hope", the last of the Jedi?

True, but the the code can easily be side-stepped. He just fell for someone. Simple and strongly relatable, and considering the order had been decimated, Obi-Wan would've had a fair amount of freedom to consider and follow his own path. One which may have been more liberal than the code strictly permitted.

1) Obi Wan went off the reservation the very second he and Yoda became the only Jedi in small ways. In fact the very second his master dies at the hands of Darth Maul, I say excactly how "law & order" Obi Wan is questionable...he tries...but the very fact he FIGHTS for Anakin shows he is not exactly following the rules to the letter...nor is Yoda.

2) I hate to say it )actually I enjoy to say this...but I hate to burst people bubbles), but it SEEMS like JJ and Disney are not talking about Ep1-3 information much. They are not saying they are making it non-canon, but they do seem to be shoving everything said and done to the background. All those very stupid Jedi Rules & Reg Lucas made up are at best not being thought about in the current movies. So saying the rules against marriage or love are forbidden are again questionable.

3) Yoda: Told you I did. Reckless is he. Now, matters are worse. Obi-Wan: That boy is our last hope. Yoda: No. There is another. Okay, now in Return of the Jedi Luke: Yoda spoke of another.Obi-Wan: The other he spoke of is your twin sister.

Really? Yoda actually never said who he was talking about. Look above Obi Want is dead...he is living force right? So he doesn't know about the sister, yet Yoda who has not passed on and is very puch in the mud knows that fact. So even as ghost Obi Wan is not clued in to every fact. It is still very possible that Yoda was holding his cards very close to his vest. Luke is not the only hope...there is Leia....and who knows. That is not as thin of an idea as it seems on the surface, these movies work by providing big reveals. What bigger reveal than Yoda KNOWING or even NOT KNOWING that Obi Wan had a daughter...remember being a ghost Jedi just means you are not "all dead" it does not make you omniscient nor omnipotent.

Obi Wan had very little to do after he dropped Luke off. In fact dropping hi off with Uncle Owen than LEAVING for a long time is smarter. So what was he up to for 10 to 17 years while Luke grows. Hell, Obi Wan didn't even seem to be ready to contact Luke when he shows up. So what Obi Wan was DOING is still a mystery...he was on Tatooine...but that was just putting himself at the ready...it says nothing about when he was going.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By 49th

I think it's going to be a brother/ sister thing with Rey and Ren. Also, I think in the last movie Ren will 100% change sides and save everyone.

skuski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bold prediction (keeping things off-topic) - Rey will not fall for Finn. Attachment led to Anakin's downfall. I don't see how any Jedi in the new trilogy can follow that same path (I know that contradicts the whole Rey is Luke's daughter theory). I also think that is also part of the reason why Leia is not a Jedi...

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I'm convinced she is Luke's daughter and I'm okay with that. (At least as long as the rumours of Finn potentially being Lando's son turn out to be nothing but bullshit.)

There's just a lot of hints at it (even R2 only woke up after Rey arrived at the base) and the way everyone treats her makes more sense if she is family and not just some random girl/a former padawan.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course she's a Skywalker, if she wasn't why would Luke's lightsaber do anything if she wasn't?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@theht: @monkeyking1969: Obi Wan did have a lover but she was a queen and I'm pretty sure she died. It was in The Clone Wars cartoon.

skuski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of curiosity, was that cartoon marked as non-canon? I can't find it anywhere online, but I don't remember it being any good...

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Simple upturned nose and pained open-mouth gaze? Must be a Skywalker!

No Caption Provided