Starship Troopers. Do you care?

• 72 results
AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The original Starship Troopers film holds a special place in my heart. It is one of my top ten movies of all time. I think the special effects, story and social commentary all hold-up remarkably well. But after seeing Invasion on Netflix it dawned on me how far the franchise has fallen. I began to remember how terrible the movies after the original were, though I did feel that the TV series, Roughnecks, was pretty alright but that might be the nostalgia talking. So my question to you duders is, do you still care about Starship Troopers? Can the franchise return to its former glory or was it just a one-hit wonder? I also tried to find that Casper Van Dien/Halo Gamespot clip and couldn't find it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I think Starship Troopers is the perfect B sci-fi film. That said, I really don't see how the franchise could ever become more than that first movie. That's the thing about B anything, more than 1 and it immediately stops being cute/funny/novel and just becomes bad.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Paul Verhoeven or bust.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That first movie was pretty rad. Just forget about those other things. Also I don't think the franchise really needs to return to its former glory. I would rather see something different than watch another franchise beaten into the ground.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa, wait, I'm sorry... There's more than one Starship Troopers movie? There was a goddamn TV series?

I'm not even joking, this isn't like a tongue-in-cheek "I refuse to acknowledge their existence" kind of thing, this is literally the first I've heard of it, and I love Starship Troopers. Were they straight to video or something?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

I care about the original. I looked into the others but never actually watched them.

Starship Troopers is amazing every time I've seen it. Over half a dozen times at this point. No reason to sully it!

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@acidbrandon18: It's one of my favourite movies also! I don't think they should do any more movies though... the first one was perfect - could've just left it at that.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AcidBrandon18

Whoa, wait, I'm sorry... There's more than one Starship Troopers movie? There was a goddamn TV series?

I'm not even joking, this isn't like a tongue-in-cheek "I refuse to acknowledge their existence" kind of thing, this is literally the first I've heard of it, and I love Starship Troopers. Were they straight to video or something?

I believe they were all straight to video. I think the TV series was either on MTV or Syfy at some point, but that also had a few VHS releases.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Indeed, they were. And they were fucking terrible, to boot. Or at least the second one was. I didn't bother seeing the third, but it's apparently even worse. I've actually heard decent things about Invasion, which is a CGI film from 2 years ago. I'm with you on the TV show, though. Never knew about that.

That first movie, though....it's definitely up there for me. I haven't watched it in years, and I should probably do something about that.

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my mind they never continued the story after the first movie. The first one is awesome!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Corevi

Starship Troopers is a fantastic movie. I actually like it more than Robocop. Everything after the original sucks though because it dropped the satirical elements and became completely sincere in its jingoism.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is the TV show I was talking about.

Loading Video...

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is the TV show I was talking about.

Loading Video...

...Jesus.

Okay, now I'm refusing to acknowledge this stuff's existence. Holy shit.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first movie was an awesome piece of over-the-top action satire. Everything that came after missed the point entirely.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Nope, sure don't! Never did really.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get that it's a satire, but never enjoyed the "movie" part of the movie. Robocop was a satire that was also good film at surface level.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kevin_cogneto: They are terrible but it is my duty to show the best part of them

http://youtu.be/KIsv1YOFNys

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By monkeyking1969

For anyone who likes, loves or just merely enjoys the book, it is hard to enjoy the movie. The whole point of the book was to stress that soldiers in the future would be beyond mere grunts who fight in holes. A member of the mobile infantry is what amounts to an AH64 Apache attack helicopter in capabilities except armored to take for a 'suitcase nuke' going off within three miles of it when it is on the ground.

The movie entirely misses the point of the book in respect to characters, politics, and military docterine. The movie also make one huge mistake, even if you discount the above. The book even from a simplistic perspective is about - the suit.

To not show a Rico in his power armor is a FUCKING, GOD DAMED SIN! How can they not show off power armor? What they hell is the point of making the movie if you don't have "the star" of the whole thing in it?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#20  Edited By SubwayD

Oh, I care a lot about Starship Troopers. Must have seen it at the right age and at the right time, as it's firmly lodged in my top-10 films list. Funnily enough, Robocop is right up there on the list as well. Those bought Verhoeven a lot of good will and gave him a free pass on the slightly less awesome Total Recall and Hollow Man.

Can the series return to it's former glory? Goodness no. They should leave the damn thing alone. Have your one amazing film and be happy with it. That, or do a reboot that sticks close to the original book.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it is the best B movie of all time.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a pretty good movie. Among Verhoeven's... well, ten best films, no doubt.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: I'm pretty sure Verhoeven never finished the book. From what I've heard in interviews and from the commentary-track, he was pretty much just interested in the setting. So saying the movie 'misses the intentions of the book' rings somewhat hollow, when the movie never was interested in those points in the first place. And Starship Troopers 3 had the mechs. Remember Starship Troopers 3?

As for the movie itself, it's my favourite movie of all time. I saw it the first time, when I was 12 years old and it has been my favourite movie since I was 18 years old. Before that it was Pulph Fiction. I would say that Invasion is probably the least bad sequel of the bunch, it has some decent action scenes, and it's not downright offensive as was the case with Starship Troopers 3: Marauder. Then again I'm pretty sure every one of Verhoevens Hollywood movies (which are ALL amazing, yes I've seen Showgirls and Hollow Man), other than Total Recall have gotten at least one awful as fuck direct-to-video sequel.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was my exact reaction. I fucking love the first movie...but I had no idea there was anything past that.

I think I'll just stick to knowing of one movie.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

For anyone who likes, loves or just merely enjoys the book, it is hard to enjoy the movie. The whole point of the book was to stress that soldiers in the future would be beyond mere grunts who fight in holes. A member of the mobile infantry is what amounts to an AH64 Apache attack helicopter in capabilities except armored to take for a 'suitcase nuke' going off within three miles of it when it is on the ground.

The movie entirely misses the point of the book in respect to characters, politics, and military docterine. The movie also make one huge mistake, even if you discount the above. The book even from a simplistic perspective is about - the suit.

To not show a Rico in his power armor is a FUCKING, GOD DAMED SIN! How can they not show off power armor? What they hell is the point of making the movie if you don't have "the star" of the whole thing in it?

Agree with this big time, why even name the film Starship Troopers when the basics are totally absent

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Thank you. Thank you so much. I couldn't agree with you more. I saw the movie before the read the book...and after I read the book the movie just wasn't the same.

Even if you want to say "the film makers were parodying the politics and ideology of the book,"...sure, fine, I can live with that. But what kind of crazy do you have to be have the 'Starship Troopers' property and not put the power armor in the movie?! It'd be like if someone made a Star Wars movie where the Jedi were just a bunch of mooks with guns!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't care about the sequels (which totally missed the point of the story in general), but I really enjoyed the first film. It's really fun to watch on it's own, but it has own problems that are also fun to make fun of. It's one of those few movies that has both qualities.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I care about the original. That is all.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

oh man Starship Troopers is a wild masterpiece, like most of Verhoven's work.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'M FROM BUENOS AIRES AND I SAY KILL 'EM ALL.

Speaking of Starship Troopers, it's the last of the big three Verhoeven action movies that hasn't yet seen an unnecessary remake. Is it inevitable?

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969 said:

Thank you. Thank you so much. I couldn't agree with you more. I saw the movie before the read the book...and after I read the book the movie just wasn't the same.

Even if you want to say "the film makers were parodying the politics and ideology of the book,"...sure, fine, I can live with that. But what kind of crazy do you have to be have the 'Starship Troopers' property and not put the power armor in the movie?! It'd be like if someone made a Star Wars movie where the Jedi were just a bunch of mooks with guns!

Again, remember Starship Troopers 3?

StoutLager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By StoutLager

troopers is muh guilty pleasure movie. :)

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

True citizens appreciate the movie and its mixture of satire and b-movie qualities. 3rd movie is pretty great in "so bad that it is good" way. Would you like to know more?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah I still care, I didnt think Invasion was that bad either. 2 was pretty bad though, and I couldnt make it past the first 20 minutes of 3. A modern remake would be the worst thing though. I'd rather an anime or something equally as stupid, at least then they can go wild.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civid said:
@toastburner_b said:
@monkeyking1969 said:

yadda yadda...

I just looked at some still from that move. It appears like they hardly even show power armor, I see tons of still with people in tee-shirt tops in sand.

A proper Starship Troopers would have the people fighting 99% of the time in their power armor, and they would be in their power armor for 1/3 of the movie or at teh very least during EVERY battle scene. And, [pinches bridge of nose] what that ST3 movies depicts is nothing like Marauder power armor described in the book.

1) You WEAR, not drive power armor. Thus you put your legs in its legs, your torso in its...and your head is in a helmet on top. Period...end of story.
2) It looks like this in other words...

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Verhoeven has a magic touch for taking B-grade scripts and making them special. That first movie is fantastic.

Never bothered with 2.

3 is exactly what I wanted from a straight to DVD sequel. It's so goofy, like a hyper violent space soap opera. The religious propaganda stuff was so good and so ridiculous it didn't beat the same dead horse every movie usually does. Reciting the lords prayer before the mech suits land was inspired! Plus it was cool the see Ed Neumeier directing a movie.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civid said:
@toastburner_b said:
@monkeyking1969 said:

yadda yadda...

I just looked at some still from that move. It appears like they hardly even show power armor, I see tons of still with people in tee-shirt tops in sand.

A proper Starship Troopers would have the people fighting 99% of the time in their power armor, and they would be in their power armor for 1/3 of the movie or at teh very least during EVERY battle scene. And, [pinches bridge of nose] what that ST3 movies depicts is nothing like Marauder power armor described in the book.

1) You WEAR, not drive power armor. Thus you put your legs in its legs, your torso in its...and your head is in a helmet on top. Period...end of story.

2) It looks like this in other words...

I will admit that I've repressed most of my memory of Starship Troopers 3, and having not read the book, maybe you're right, maybe a straight adaptation of Starship Troopers would be rad as fuck. Even so here's my last two cents on the subject:

1) Straight adaptations are almost never as interesting as adaptations that uses the source material to tell a new story, or at least tell the original story in a very different maner. This includes movie adaptations such as The Shinning, Dr Strangelove (at least I've heard that one differs quite a bit from the original book), Starship troopers and Batman Returns (Batman kills people, deal with it!).

2) I just think mech suits are kind of lame to be honest. And having them in the movie would make it a completely different film, since one of the main plot points of the movie is how little of a fuck the so called 'ultra-patriotic' government gives about its soldiers.

3) Making the Arachnid a far more powerful creature than its human opponent makes them a lot more effective as an enemy, than if they could just be gunned down by a couple of metal-hulks.

4) If it's a good movie, it's a good movie. And Starship Trooeprs is an amazing movie. Sure it's different from the book, but that shouldn't take anything away from it. It's still a good movie on its own.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civid said:
@toastburner_b said:
@monkeyking1969 said:

Why would you ask someone to remember that abomination? What a terrible movie.

Also, I really liked the TV show when I saw it like a decade ago or whatever. I don't know if it would hold up today, and I'm not going to bother watching it to find out... Not after what happened with me and Sonic Adventure 2...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By monkeyking1969

@civid said:

I will admit that I've repressed most of my memory of Starship Troopers 3, and having not read the book, maybe you're right, maybe a straight adaptation of Starship Troopers would be rad as fuck. Even so here's my last two cents on the subject:

1) Straight adaptations are almost never as interesting as adaptations that uses the source material to tell a new story, or at least tell the original story in a very different maner. This includes movie adaptations such as The Shinning, Dr Strangelove (at least I've heard that one differs quite a bit from the original book), Starship troopers and Batman Returns (Batman kills people, deal with it!).

2) I just think mech suits are kind of lame to be honest. And having them in the movie would make it a completely different film, since one of the main plot points of the movie is how little of a fuck the so called 'ultra-patriotic' government gives about its soldiers.

3) Making the Arachnid a far more powerful creature than its human opponent makes them a lot more effective as an enemy, than if they could just be gunned down by a couple of metal-hulks.

4) If it's a good movie, it's a good movie. And Starship Trooeprs is an amazing movie. Sure it's different from the book, but that shouldn't take anything away from it. It's still a good movie on its own.

Yeah, a straight adption might be hard, but hey they made, The Hurt Locker (2008) so they coudl make a more 'thoughful' movie if they wanted...it sure would be different.

Yeah, some people can take or leave mecha I can appreciate that, I'm a tech freak so I love fake tech that looks real...so any movie is sort of important.

In the books the bugs are pseudo-arachnids. They also have a technology base they are not merely organic beings who do all things organically. In the books they have heavy machinery, guns, and they built starships they would fly around. That is what I would want more animal with a mind than what we saw from the movies so far. When he wrote them, Heinlein was making an analogy about Communism/Socialism vs teh West. Yet, while he was on the side of capitalism in his heart, his real question was would Communists (i.e. super organized group minds) be enemies that would defeat us.

As far as the current movies, as I said at first I just find them disappointing in what they leave out..which were the cool parts in my mind. I give Paul Verhoeven props for just shoving nudity into movies and sneering at prudes. I think he has a fun point of view about people's skin being thrilling and real. While I would not mind a Starship Troopers movie that was as serious as "The Hurt Locker", I would not mind one as weird as Showgirls as long as the story, tactics, and equipment was right.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Waffles13
Loading Video...

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think the first movie is by far one of the most 'perfect' movies for what it sought out to do. Making another might be a cool adventure, but I can't imagine they can capture the same magic that the first did.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#42  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

The first Starship Troopers is legitimately great.

I didn't hate the second and third movies as much as others did, but they are certainly mediocre at best, and could just as well have been low budget sci-fi movies without the Starship Troopers name. Especially Starship Troopers 2 only had the arachnids at the start, the rest of it was more of a low budget take on The Thing or maybe Screamers. The third movie kinda tried to do the social commentary thing, but certainly came nowhere close to Verhoeven levels of quality. (But that song that @waffles13 posted was pretty damn rad.)

I still haven't seen the Roughnecks TV series, but I've heard decent things about it. Not a fan of it being all CGI though.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I remember about Starship Troopers is the boobies.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of adaptations, remember this crime against humanity?

The only thing I remember about Starship Troopers is the boobies.

Dina Meyers breasts are most certainly worth remembering.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#47 fisk0  Moderator
@civid said:

Speaking of adaptations, remember this crime against humanity?

Huh, no, I had no idea they made a first person shooter based on it. I remember there was a kinda Ground Control/World In Conflict-esque RTS released around 2001 or so though.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I like Starship Troopers for the B-Grade action and some of the stupid dialogue, but I refuse to acknowledge it as the work of political satire that some people try to claim that it is. If it's a satire, it's a satire of things that don't exist (aside from the media bits).

As a story/IP, there's definitely far different approaches that could be taken to the subject matter that would be entertaining. That said, I thought the book was a dry political manifesto.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By casper_

I liked the book as a kid and remember being super disappointed when I saw the movie.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I like Starship Troopers for the B-Grade action and some of the stupid dialogue, but I refuse to acknowledge it as the work of political satire that some people try to claim that it is. If it's a satire, it's a satire of things that don't exist (aside from the media bits).

As a story/IP, there's definitely far different approaches that could be taken to the subject matter that would be entertaining. That said, I thought the book was a dry political manifesto.

Sometimes I wonder if people label things satire so they have an excuse to enjoy material that they feel they're above. If it's satire then it gets an extra special layer of irony that makes them feel intelligent for enjoying it.