Started watching TNG: Where/When/Do I watch the movies?

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I started watching TNG finally. As a kid my dad watched it but I never got into it. I am fairly early on (I started with Season 1 and am around episode 10) and wondered how the movies fit in (or if they do at all). I know they all came out after the series ended its run. Do they take place within the continuity of the TV series or are they separate? Should I watch them after the show, during it or not at all?

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Separate/after. They are a continuation of the series.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan  Online

All of the TNG movies take place after the show, so I would say at the end.

However, there's really only one TNG movie worth watching, unless you HAVE to see all of the TNG stuff. I'd recommend just watching First Contact, and none of the other TNG movies.

Another Star Trek recommendation: Deep Space 9. It's my favorite of the shows, and will give you something to watch once you're done with TNG. Also, O'Brien leaves TNG midway through the series to be on DS9, and Worf joins DS9 as a full cast member in Season 4 of DS9, if you want to see all of those characters' story arcs through the greater Star Trek fiction.

razzdrazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By razzdrazz

All of the TNG movies take place after the show, so I would say at the end.

However, there's really only one TNG movie worth watching, unless you HAVE to see all of the TNG stuff. I'd recommend just watching First Contact, and none of the other TNG movies.

Another Star Trek recommendation: Deep Space 9. It's my favorite of the shows, and will give you something to watch once you're done with TNG. Also, O'Brien leaves TNG midway through the series to be on DS9, and Worf joins DS9 as a full cast member in Season 4 of DS9, if you want to see all of those characters' story arcs through the greater Star Trek fiction.

Yeah, First Contact is definitely the best and DS9 is actually really great! The only other thing I would add is that TNG doesn't get really amazing until Seasons 2 and 3.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By veektarius

@mooseymcman: I don't think that Generations is that bad.

Oh, and I despise DS9, so we probably aren't going to agree on anything.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MooseyMcMan  Online

@mooseymcman: I don't think that Generations is that bad.

You mean the one where Kirk dies from an awful fistfight with Malcolm McDowell? Oh, no, it's not that bad.

It's REALLY bad.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

After

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

DS9 is the best star trek. I will fist fight anyone who disagrees.

MikaelBoogart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS9 has its moments but it also features the greatest number of junk characters who pollute every episode they are involved in with their presence.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS9 has its moments but it also features the greatest number of junk characters who pollute every episode they are involved in with their presence.

You mean like Westley Crusher? The single most annoying character EVER?

DS9 had deeper plots, more interesting characters, actual character development, and continuity between episodes. Plus it had the most badass star trek captain to ever grace the screen. He made Worf go "woah, thats hardcore". WORF.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Corevi

If you must know what happens in the movies that aren't First Contact I highly recommend checking out RedLetterMedia's Plinkett reviews of them, they have a really detailed plot summary while being way more entertaining than the actual movies.

Loading Video...

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you really end up enjoying TNG, don't watch any of the movies. The series finale ties things up perfectly.

Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Watch the movies. Absolutely, watch the movies. If you're a fan, you consume all of it. That's what fans do. Don't be a baby. The key is to lower your expectations. First Contact is the only truly great TNG movie. Generations is okay. Insurrection is basically just a two-hour episode of the TV show. Nemesis is terrible and dumb. If you go into them knowing what to expect quality-wise, then it shouldn't bring you down.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch First Contact that movie is amazing.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

@meteora3255:

After the series. First Contact is pretty good. The others...well, First Contact is pretty good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, First Contact is alright. Most of the others, less so. Generations is offensive.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Star Trek without any of the lows... isn't Star Trek.

Watch the films after the series is done, even Generations and Nemesis.

I think people are a little hard on Generations, but the hate for Nemesis is completely deserved. Christ, what a film.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

Despite the lows, if you have the time you should watch them after the series. I mean, after sinking that much time into a single fiction, why not see all there is or ever will be?

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yup, just like everyone already wrote, watch it after TNG and if you are really into TNG by then you'll most likely enjoy all of the movies except for Nemesis. It's the only movie, of the TNG ones (avoid The Final Frontier at all cost), that is just bad and adds nothing worth knowing/seeing to the series.

Also, when it comes to Generations, since so many people seem to really dislike it...if you've watched the original Star Trek series (which I would totally recommend, it's still great) you'll probably also enjoy parts of Generations, it's actually a pretty great fan service. It's definitely not an amazing movie, but Kirk meeting Picard alone makes it worth watching.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TNG is my all-time favorite Star Trek show.

As for the movies, yes, I agree that First Contact is the best movie that stars the Next Generation crew.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch the movies if your starved for more, just know that the writing in the movies doesn't hold a candle to the TV show.

where the show had good thought provoking stories and interesting character development, the movies decided to ignore most of this and try to be space ACTION movies.

If you make it through all of TNG and still have the stomach for more I would advise moving on to DS9 rather than the movies, although DS9 didn't follow the same format as TNG did and had a more continuous story over the later seasons, it had some of my favourite characters (Garak, Dukat, weyoun). Don't bother with Voyager it doesn't hold up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you seen the Original Series and the movies with the original cast?

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By meteora3255

Thanks for the input guys. I have no reverence for The Original Series and only started watching TNG because I was bored on Netflix and remembered it from when I was a kid. As for all the responses telling me to consume it as a fan I am not sure how long I will stick with it. I am liking it now but I am only 10-15 episodes in. I really started this thread just in case there was some situation where one of the movies took place for example between seasons 2 & 3 or something like that.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

TNG is probably one of the harder ones to ge into as a first contact with Star Trek. It is a great show, the philosophically most deep of them, which also means the most dry. Some of the other series have more action.

I started with Voyager when I was around 13 because it was the only Star Trek show on TV at that time in my country, and watched TNG when I was around 17 and loved it. I have watched the first season of TNG with my fiancé but she gets a bit bored. I think DS9 or Voyager is maybe more easy to get into as someone new to Star Trek.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably get alot of hate for this. But i think the original series is garbage that doesn't hold up at all.

TNG was pretty solid, DS9 is the best, and after DS9 the shows start getting crappy.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS9 was Star Trek at it's best by far the writing on that show was amazing. I really hope they put out blu ray's for DS9 I will buy the hell out of those.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't watch any of the movies post-80s.

Actually, just watch Star Trek 1 and Wrath of Khan.

Actually just Wrath of Khan.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

First Contact is amazing, Nemesis is totally fine, you're all babies. Generations is alright. Insurrection is boring and ham-fisted. But just watch all of them after the series, in order (Gen, FC, Ins, Nem)

Avatar image for anonymous-poster
Anonymous-poster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly after the last episode of All Good Things.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@horseman6 said:

I'll probably get alot of hate for this. But i think the original series is garbage that doesn't hold up at all.

TNG was pretty solid, DS9 is the best, and after DS9 the shows start getting crappy.

You are a terrible person.

TOS is still my favorite out of all of them. Sure, it's cheesy and kind of stupid, but that's why I love the original episodes. Besides, TOS movies are by far the best. Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, and Undiscovered Country are amazing. Even Search for Spock and The Motion Picture are fine.

I never could get into DS9, I just didn't enjoy the characters sans O'Brien and Worf.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's been a real long time since I've even thought of those TNG movies, but I remember that First Contact has an AMAZING scene with Picard drawing the line, this far and no further. But, that's all I really remember

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero said:

@horseman6 said:

TOS is still my favorite out of all of them. Sure, it's cheesy and kind of stupid, but that's why I love the original episodes. Besides, TOS movies are by far the best. Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, and Undiscovered Country are amazing. Even Search for Spock and The Motion Picture are fine.

I never could get into DS9, I just didn't enjoy the characters sans O'Brien and Worf.

What?! TOS is cheesy and dumb. I will give you, that it's movies were the best by far, then the two JJ abrams ones, and the TNG ones are all varying degrees of garbage.

But DS9 is simply the best series. It had the best captain. It had the most continuity between episodes. It had more character and plot development than the other series. It had the best ship. yes the Defiant is better than the stupid enterprise.

Sisko requested a ship, they asked him what kind and he said GUNS. So they gave him a ship literally made out of GUNS. Because Sisko is a badass and he don't take shit from no one.

Also how can anyone NOT love Garrick? Dude is the best star trek character EVER. Hell the cast of DS9 in general greatly overshadows TNG in sheer presence and development. It's also the best ACTED of all the series.

I submit.

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@horseman6 said:

@clonedzero said:

@horseman6 said:

What?! TOS is cheesy and dumb. I will give you, that it's movies were the best by far, then the two JJ abrams ones, and the TNG ones are all varying degrees of garbage.

But DS9 is simply the best series. It had the best captain. It had the most continuity between episodes. It had more character and plot development than the other series. It had the best ship. yes the Defiant is better than the stupid enterprise.

Sisko requested a ship, they asked him what kind and he said GUNS. So they gave him a ship literally made out of GUNS. Because Sisko is a badass and he don't take shit from no one.

Also how can anyone NOT love Garrick? Dude is the best star trek character EVER. Hell the cast of DS9 in general greatly overshadows TNG in sheer presence and development. It's also the best ACTED of all the series.

I submit.

First Contact was great but I still prefer the ones with the Original Cast. Also, the two JJ Abrams ones were awful, especially Into Darkness; nothing but generic sci-fi garbage without any of the intelligence, commentary, or spirit of Star Trek. But I'm biased a little bit I guess as I hate everything JJ Abrams has ever done, he's just awful.

DS9 always felt a little too much like a soap opera in a Star Trek setting which is why I didn't really like it that much. Sure, there was some good acting but I just didn't enjoy it. The exploration piece of Star Trek is what I find interesting which is why I didn't mind Voyager; although it only has a few likable characters.