Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By 1337W422102

>friend’s birthday is coming up
>decide to buy him a game
>due to overstock and low demand, prices on new, sealed copies are lower at Gamestop
>grudgingly go to Gamestop
>ask clerk for a new copy
>”Sure, let me check the back.”
>”Only one left is the store copy.”
>clerk picks up case from shelf with “New” sticker on it and pops a disc into it
>tries to sell me “new” game that’s not new, sealed, or wrapped
>refuse to buy “NEW” game that’s opened
>”but no one’s played it; this is the store copy”
>implying that’s the point
>go to nearest other Gamestop, about an hour away across a bridge
>get there, ask clerk dude for a new copy
>”it’s cheaper used”
>ask for a new, sealed copy SPECIFICALLY mentioning it’s a birthday gift for a friend
>”I can shrinkwrap a used copy”
>SPECIFICALLY ASK FOR A NEW, SEALED COPY
>dude tries to push “protection plan”
>say “no”
>dude continues his “protection plan” spiel
>say “no” again
>dude won’t shut up about the “protection plan”
>SAY “NO” ONE MORE GODDAMN TIME
>dude slips flyer into the bag about trade-in bullshit
>take bag and leave before he can ask me about preorder crap
>go to Future Shop
>find a game I’m looking for on the shelf
>game’s priced higher than the store’s website says it is
>ask a clerk about it
>she looks it up and tells me that yes, I’m right
>tells me that it’s actually supposed to be on liquidation, so she’ll give me 25% off the lower price
>smile and thank her
>continue browsing while she goes to speak to the cashier
>proceed to checkout
>tell cashier that the clerk told me it’s 25% off
>cashier says, “I can make that 50% if you’d like”
>gladly pay up
>thank her
>be glad I went to Future Shop
>would — make that WILL — gladly return to Future Shop later
>will keep giving Future Shop my business
FUCKING GAMESTOP

Seriously.  I mean, I enjoy fraudulent business practices as much as the next guy, but this is completely ridiculous.  I’m irritated beyond reason right about now.  It annoys me to no end that, here in Canada, Xenoblade Chronicles will ONLY be available at Gamestop.  I would really rather not give them my business, but damn, I need those Chronicles.  Their pre-order artbook’d better be good.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By 1337W422102

>friend’s birthday is coming up
>decide to buy him a game
>due to overstock and low demand, prices on new, sealed copies are lower at Gamestop
>grudgingly go to Gamestop
>ask clerk for a new copy
>”Sure, let me check the back.”
>”Only one left is the store copy.”
>clerk picks up case from shelf with “New” sticker on it and pops a disc into it
>tries to sell me “new” game that’s not new, sealed, or wrapped
>refuse to buy “NEW” game that’s opened
>”but no one’s played it; this is the store copy”
>implying that’s the point
>go to nearest other Gamestop, about an hour away across a bridge
>get there, ask clerk dude for a new copy
>”it’s cheaper used”
>ask for a new, sealed copy SPECIFICALLY mentioning it’s a birthday gift for a friend
>”I can shrinkwrap a used copy”
>SPECIFICALLY ASK FOR A NEW, SEALED COPY
>dude tries to push “protection plan”
>say “no”
>dude continues his “protection plan” spiel
>say “no” again
>dude won’t shut up about the “protection plan”
>SAY “NO” ONE MORE GODDAMN TIME
>dude slips flyer into the bag about trade-in bullshit
>take bag and leave before he can ask me about preorder crap
>go to Future Shop
>find a game I’m looking for on the shelf
>game’s priced higher than the store’s website says it is
>ask a clerk about it
>she looks it up and tells me that yes, I’m right
>tells me that it’s actually supposed to be on liquidation, so she’ll give me 25% off the lower price
>smile and thank her
>continue browsing while she goes to speak to the cashier
>proceed to checkout
>tell cashier that the clerk told me it’s 25% off
>cashier says, “I can make that 50% if you’d like”
>gladly pay up
>thank her
>be glad I went to Future Shop
>would — make that WILL — gladly return to Future Shop later
>will keep giving Future Shop my business
FUCKING GAMESTOP

Seriously.  I mean, I enjoy fraudulent business practices as much as the next guy, but this is completely ridiculous.  I’m irritated beyond reason right about now.  It annoys me to no end that, here in Canada, Xenoblade Chronicles will ONLY be available at Gamestop.  I would really rather not give them my business, but damn, I need those Chronicles.  Their pre-order artbook’d better be good.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@1337W422102 said:

FUCKING GAMESTOP

What's the problem, though? I don't think I've really seen these problems. Hell, I was just there today, and my experience went something like this:

• Walk into store.
  • Browse around a bit before deciding on Persona 4.
  • Ask to trade in Kirby's Return to Dreamland (I had an extra copy) to put down on Xenoblade Chronicles.
  • Get asked about Power-Pro whatever; answer "no" and don't get asked jack shit after that.
  • Guy goes in back to fetch me my Persona 4 stuffs.
  • Brings back two discs that would probably be included had I bought it new.
  • Get asked how I want to divide my money between Persona 4 and Xenoblade.
  • Reply in the following manner: all trade-in on Xenoblade, all money on Persona 4.
  • Fill out information required for trade-in and pre-order.
  • Pay money for Persona 4.
  • Walk out of GameStop, start typing shit.

Or something along those lines. Yea, it's not perfect, but that was still decent service.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 1337W422102

Well, "FUCKING GAMESTOP" is a meme, so that's why I threw it in there.  And as for the problem, I'd say that misleading customers/being fraudulent and repeatedly ignoring customers specific requests is pretty problematic.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

The last straw for me was the following conversation that transpired when I was buying my brother Spez Mareen for christmas.

Clerk: Would you like our protection plan on that? If anything happens to the disk, we will replace it for free.

Me: No thanks. That would be pretty silly.

Clerk: Why? We have people use it all the time

Me: Well maybe, but this is a steamworks game. You don't need the disc to play it. It would be kind of a rip-off to buy disc protection for a game that never goes in the drive.

Clerk: Oh, yeah I guess. But I still need to ask, after all some people don't know that.

4 months running and I haven't stepped into a Gamestop since...even when it might have saved me a few bucks. Fucking. Gamestop

And I can confirm that they are changing their names back to EB Games in Canada. Maybe one day they will go all the way back to Electronic Boutique.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By _Zombie_

I must be the only guy who's never had these problems with Gamestop.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Is this 4chan now

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By nintendoeats

@zombiebigfoot said:

I don't think that's possible, the problems are their basic business practices. Perhaps you just don't find them as concerning as we do, which is not an uncommon position.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Is this 4chan now

Sometimes I wonder.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is this 4chan now

It has been slowly turning into that this past month or so

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By PixelPrinny

@zombiebigfoot said:

Nah, I think most people have had pleasant experiences with them, but there's no reason to create a post to vent about a company when you've had a good experience. Nearly all of my interactions with Gamestop have been great, especially online. Can't complain about free day 1 shipping on new titles (at least any that don't come in oversized boxes. Oversized boxes add 2-3 days to shipping, I've found).

At the local store, I get into conversations with the staff about games like Guild Wars 2 or BlazBlue and they don't try to upsell me on extra stuff. Maybe it's because I live in a small town and the bottom-line isn't as important here, I dunno. I can't say I've ever really had a problem with Gamestop in another of the big cities I've lived in either. Asking about the extended warranty is just their job; they're not trying to offend anyone and having worked retail before, I can empathize with them rather than vilify them. Your best bet when it comes to that is just say no thanks and leave it at that.

I will say getting a "new" copy unsealed with stickers all over the case has always been a grievance of mine, though D: I wish they'd stop doing that even if it means not stocking the last copy of the (usually obscure) game on the shelf and instead, requiring me to ask them if they have a copy left in the backroom.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

Gamestops are always cramped. They never know what game im talking about. Its run by a cranky old woman. and they actively rip crap out of games.

Honestly i would rather go to Best buy, because there i get a new game that doesnt have all the codes ripped out of it such as Deus Ex

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 1337W422102
@nintendoeats said:
And I can confirm that they are changing their names back to EB Games in Canada. Maybe one day they will go all the way back to Electronic Boutique.
They already have, not that it makes me feel any better.  And "some people don't know any better"?  Wow, that is some shady shit.
Is this 4chan now
@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Is this 4chan now

Sometimes I wonder.

@Zacagawea said:

Is this 4chan now

It has been slowly turning into that this past month or so

It has been for months now.  Problem?
@PixelPrinny said:

I will say getting a "new" copy unsealed with stickers all over the case has always been a grievance of mine, though D: I wish they'd stop doing that even if it means not stocking the last copy of the (usually obscure) game on the shelf and instead, requiring me to ask them if they have a copy left in the backroom.
They should not be allowed to sell that as "new," seeing as how it isn't.  "Oh, this condom's never been used, we just unwrapped it to put it on display."  And offering to shrink-wrap a used game to pass it off as new when I specifically asked for a new copy?  The hell's up with that?
_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By _Zombie_

@nintendoeats said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

I don't think that's possible, the problems are their basic business practices. Perhaps you just don't find them as concerning as we do, which is not an uncommon position.

Maybe. Never had that problem with the employees, but usually when I buy a game it doesn't turn out that bad. I don't trade games in, so I don't deal with that shit anymore, and I only buy a new game every now and then. Usually I'll just look through the under $20 bin and see what they have. I'd go to Best Buy.. but the only one I know of is a 30 minute drive from where I live. I've considered Amazon, but I'd need to get my own credit card first.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By _Zombie_

@PixelPrinny said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

Nah, I think most people have had pleasant experiences with them, but there's no reason to create a post to vent about a company when you've had a good experience. Nearly all of my interactions with Gamestop have been great, especially online. Can't complain about free day 1 shipping on new titles (at least any that don't come in oversized boxes. Oversized boxes add 2-3 days to shipping, I've found).

At the local store, I get into conversations with the staff about games like Guild Wars 2 or BlazBlue and they don't try to upsell me on extra stuff. Maybe it's because I live in a small town and the bottom-line isn't as important here, I dunno. I can't say I've ever really had a problem with Gamestop in another of the big cities I've lived in either. Asking about the extended warranty is just their job; they're not trying to offend anyone and having worked retail before, I can empathize with them rather than vilify them. Your best bet when it comes to that is just say no thanks and leave it at that.

I'll say this much. The staff at the gamestop I go to are pretty nice guys. Haven't been to the other one, though.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

@1337W422102 said:

@PixelPrinny said:

They should not be allowed to sell that as "new," seeing as how it isn't. "Oh, this condom's never been used, we just unwrapped it to put it on display." And offering to shrink-wrap a used game to pass it off as new when I specifically asked for a new copy? The hell's up with that?

I think you misunderstood her problem entirely. I'll just agree with her and say that yes, trying to remove stickers off a case is always a pain in the ass, since there's a 90% chance that the sticker will tear in half and leave a glue-y/paper-y mess you have to rub a ton to remove.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By gla55jAw

It depends on the store/employees.

There is one that is like 10 blocks from my house that I try not to go to. Last time I was there, I was just popping in to browse since I was just at the supermarket next door. The first employee was nice and left me alone after I said I was just looking around, the other one, annoyed me. As I was trying to walk out he stopped and asked me what games I want that are coming out, what I should get and pre-order, etc. It was annoying.

I go slightly out of my way (about a 5-10 minute drive), to go to anther GameStop which I actually like. Everyone there is cool and they don't hassle me. A couple of the guys recognize me when I come in because it is usually empty and we usually chat about games for a few.

So like I said, it depends on the store.

Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

I got Rhythm Heaven Fever "new" without shrinkwrap (I had my friend go into the store and by it for me so I didn't have to pay for parking,) I didn't mind much until I tried activating the code on club nintendo and the code was already activated. I know that it's nothing crucial to the package, but it's something expected when buying a game new. That's pretty much a generally shitty thing to do.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By _Zombie_

@Video_Game_King said:

@1337W422102 said:

@PixelPrinny said:

They should not be allowed to sell that as "new," seeing as how it isn't. "Oh, this condom's never been used, we just unwrapped it to put it on display." And offering to shrink-wrap a used game to pass it off as new when I specifically asked for a new copy? The hell's up with that?

I think you misunderstood her problem entirely. I'll just agree with her and say that yes, trying to remove stickers off a case is always a pain in the ass, since there's a 90% chance that the sticker will tear in half and leave a glue-y/paper-y mess you have to rub a ton to remove.

Agh.. yes. I hate it when it leaves that shit on my game case.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#19  Edited By jacksukeru
Bleeble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bleeble

I only have one problem with Gamestop. For some strange reason every Gamestop where I live is connected to a Panda Express and all the gamestops smell like chinese food and farts. Don't know where the fart smell is coming from, but I feel so bad for the employees every time I go in.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By landon

I must have the only cool Gamestop on Earth.

I was in there a few weeks ago buying a game, and during my transaction the guy said

Clerk: Any games you looking forward to?

Me: Not to preorder.

Clerk: Oh, I didn't mean it like that, I know we force that stuff on our customers, I was just trying to be friendly.

We ended up talking about Skyrim and a Dragon Ball Z game that was about to come out. Guy was really cool.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By me3639

@zombiebigfoot said:

You are not the only one.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#23  Edited By Slag

@Video_Game_King said:

Use Goo Gone, Stuff works like a champ on sticker residue on game cases. Let it set for a couple minutes and the residue comes off pretty easily.

http://www.amazon.com/MAGIC-AMERICA-GG12-Goo-Gone/dp/B00006IBNJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330763326&sr=8-1

not a big deal at all.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Harpell

We've got one good Gamestop, where a friendly neckbeardy guy works. Then we have two shitty ones where you see that sort of bad service. So at least I know which one to go to.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vinny_Says

How awesome/not awesome was that bridge though?

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaptainCody

@1337W422102: You seem like one of the losers who ruined /v/. You can't green text here bro, take it somewhere else.

If you weren't scared of the FUCKING DEAD MEME clerk and manned up to him you probably could have saved yourself some pandering.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude

My Gamestops are awesome. All three of them. I win.

green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By green

Some locations enforce a three strike policy. You can't stop asking for the protection plan until the customer denies you three times. Anal employees will always adhere to this policy, but if a salesperson seems especially desperate, they are probably under pressure. Not making one's protection plan quota can mean fewer shifts, shorter shifts, and lead to accusations that one is not a team player. It can be a very hostile work environment.

It's not only protection plans, either. Employees also have to achieve a minimum number of membership cards, pre-sells, used sales, and units per transaction. None of these quotas are fixed. They all depend on the number of hours worked, transactions handled, and units sold. This sometimes creates a vicious circle where the least successful employees get stuck working the worst shifts and don't ever get the chance to bump up their numbers.

If you're having problems, try going to the stores at different times. You'll eventually either stumble across the black sheep who doesn't care and won't ask you for anything, or the wonder kid who is doing so well that they are under no pressure to harass you.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Djratchet

I'm a regular at my local GameStop. Sure, I can understand why people dislike the company, but the folks working at mine are awesome. Also.... sometimes they just have the preorder bonuses I want. Never had an issue with GS. Sorry to hear about the BS the OP had to deal with though.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McShank

@Bleeble said:

I only have one problem with Gamestop. For some strange reason every Gamestop where I live is connected to a Panda Express and all the gamestops smell like chinese food and farts. Don't know where the fart smell is coming from, but I feel so bad for the employees every time I go in.

all 5 gamestops in the 2 towns around me have a panda express across from them.. not connected but there is one within 1 shop distance from each gamestop.. BUT!! there is 1 gamestop connected to sushi place and then godfathers is on the otherside which makes it smell awesome.. i think >.> I still hate them and I rip out game codes all the time.. for free and they know it because they always glare at me..

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By DarthOrange

Really? My local gamestop is really nice. They also always give a discount if you get an opened but unused game. Its actually the people at my toysrus game department that are assholes.