Students + Piracy = Ok?

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

Edited By commandercup

So, is it acceptable for students to pirate software, music, tv shows, movies etc.? The obvious argument I can see is that students have little to no income and thus can't afford to pay for everything. The general argument for piracy (some things just aren't worth the price) might also apply, but the big ringer is the fact that piracy is stealing period (right?).

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By commandercup

So, is it acceptable for students to pirate software, music, tv shows, movies etc.? The obvious argument I can see is that students have little to no income and thus can't afford to pay for everything. The general argument for piracy (some things just aren't worth the price) might also apply, but the big ringer is the fact that piracy is stealing period (right?).

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By habster3

Hell no!

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Piracy is never OK.  Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By manhattan_project

NO

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Vinny_Says

the fuck, that's the dumbest thing I've heard

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By rjayb89

It's okay if you aren't caught, bro.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By ATrevelan

I'd say no. I just dealt with the fact that I couldn't afford a lot of brand new things, so I enjoyed what I had and picked up some stuff at a much lower price a year or so later.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@OllyOxenFree said:
" Piracy is never OK.  Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. "
The other half is like the first ten minutes of Saving Private Ryan.  It's not pretty.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By meteora

Being able to pirate everything makes the college life dull and less challenging. No. 

Get a job.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Rebirth1337

Who cares.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BraveToaster
@commandercup said:
"  The obvious argument I can see is that students have little to no income and thus can't afford to pay for everything."
There's a recession going on. There are plenty of people out there who can't afford to pay for everything and aren't students.
bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#12  Edited By bobafettjm

Nope, I don't think it is ok to pirate something just because you don't have the money for it.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Matfei90

I purchase all my games... But I acquire software packages I need for uni (such as Photoshop, 3DSMax and Zbrush, etc) through other avenues.

Even student licenses for those packages stack up to an amount I cannot afford, but I'm not profiting off my use of them monetarily, so I see it as excuseable.

Dantekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Dantekiller

all i have to say is to each there own i for example have a modded wii and games but the game i have i own, like Metroid Other M  
im playing it ahead of time but i already paid for the one at the store just waiting for release 

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By bed
@rjayb89 said:
" It's okay if you aren't caught, bro. "
words of wisdom right there
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Ineedaname
@Rebirth1337 said:
" Who cares. "
I agree.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By No0b0rAmA

No fucking way, I'm a student and I have to pay for my own shit.
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Three0neFive

Piracy of software is the only acceptable piracy.  Unless it's independent software, then you're just a dick.

Do you really think it costs Adobe $400 to produce a digital copy of Photoshop? Same with Microsoft Office or the latest version of iLife (or whetever the fuck it's called, admittedly I don't keep up on apple products)? No. The only reason said software is so expensive is because companies know they can get away with it because there are always people who will happily accept being raped up the ass.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By commandercup
@Matfei90:  There's a good point: what if the software is priced ridiculously? I get all my Microsoft software free from school, but things like Photoshop are just not possible realistically. 

To everyone asking "who cares", I'm just curious. I don't pirate much if at all and never games (but damn you Adobe!).
blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blazerx9x
@Meteora said:
" Being able to pirate everything makes the college life dull and less challenging. No.  Get a job. "
Word
Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rebirth1337

The company isn't losing money if the only way you would ever get their product is by piracy.  
Lets say I really wanted Photoshop but had no money. And couldn't ever afford to blow $400USD+ on it. The only way I would get it was to pirate it but if pirating wasn't here I would also never buy the software. So either way weather I could pirate it or not I wouldn't buy it. 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By apathylad

Only if it's for educational purposes. :P You know, kinda how they say scanning books is illegal unless it's for school?

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hourai

I don't think it's wrong if you were never going to buy it in the first place, because the developers don't lose anything. I do it all the time with video games I would never pay for, and most of the time I just play for them for a few days before getting bored. If I have any plans on playing the game often, then I'll save up and get it when I can. The only exception is if it's an old game that can be played on an emulator, 'cause I'm not paying $100 for it over eBay. 

Or maybe it's not fine. Either way, that's just what I do. 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Okay first off, all ya'll saying piracy is never okay are retarded. There are numerous reasons that some people need to pirate digital media. Just because you guys can afford shit doesn't mean everyone can. I mean, let's look at, oh I don't know, pretty much every single country in or around South America. They get totally and completely fucked over on everything when it comes to entertainment with all the outrageous importation tax and shit. 

Secondly, yo it's hard a fucking enough for some people without all of you trying to bring your false moral pretenses up in here. So guy wants to save a few bucks for, oh I dunno, food? Does that mean he shouldn't be able to play some god damn games once in awhile? I mean hell, I know I've stopped playing a lot of new games simply because I don't have the money to pay $60 for a god damn game. I need $60. $60 is pretty decent chunk of money. 

Now let's talk about software, like real software. How many people out there with Photoshop or Flash do you think got it legally? Not a majority. That shit is like over $600, for the one program. There is no way in hell someone is going to pay that much money for god damn Adobe software when they don't need it for their job. Are there some people that probably have? Yeah, probably. That's a minuscule percentage though. Then comes the question of how is dude gonna get a job if he doesn't know how to use the software? Could he? Yeah. Are the going to hire the more experienced applicant? Yep. 

I don't even know why i'm trying to explain all this shit to you people. 

This should be obvious.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@LordXavierBritish said:
" Okay first off, all ya'll saying piracy is never okay are retarded. "
Statement null and void.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OllyOxenFree
@LordXavierBritish said:

Shit.

You are a bad bad person.  For shame!

Also, I lol'd at "this should be obvious".  Hey, sup, if you can't afford something, then wait until you can!  You don't have to buy the game at release date.  You can wait until the price drops and buy it used if you have to.  

It's as simple as "If you can't afford it, then you can't have it.".  As for Photoshop, there are other alternative freeware image editing programs such as Gimp.  Sure a lot of people just illegally download PS but that's just it -- it's illegal.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Three0neFive said:
"Piracy of software is the only acceptable piracy.  Unless it's independent software, then you're just a dick. Do you really think it costs Adobe $400 to produce a digital copy of Photoshop? Same with Microsoft Office or the latest version of iLife (or whetever the fuck it's called, admittedly I don't keep up on apple products)? No. The only reason said software is so expensive is because companies know they can get away with it because there are always people who will happily accept being raped up the ass. "

So since you shouldn't pay $400, you obviously deserve it for free right?
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SethPhotopoulos: I'm sorry sir, you aren't retarded. Retarded people go around accepting their opinions as fact and then completely ignoring opposing arguments. 

Wait.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By GreggD
@LordXavierBritish: Quit using retarded in the wrong context. You sound like an idiot.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@LordXavierBritish: Starting your argument with "Your all retarded!!!" isn't helpful.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@LordXavierBritish said:
"Okay first off, all ya'll saying piracy is never okay are retarded. There are numerous reasons that some people need to pirate digital media. Just because you guys can afford shit doesn't mean everyone can. I mean, let's look at, oh I don't know, pretty much every single country in or around South America. They get totally and completely fucked over on everything when it comes to entertainment with all the outrageous importation tax and shit.  Secondly, yo it's hard a fucking enough for some people without all of you trying to bring your false moral pretenses up in here. So guy wants to save a few bucks for, oh I dunno, food? Does that mean he shouldn't be able to play some god damn games once in awhile? I mean hell, I know I've stopped playing a lot of new games simply because I don't have the money to pay $60 for a god damn game. I need $60. $60 is pretty decent chunk of money.  Now let's talk about software, like real software. How many people out there with Photoshop or Flash do you think got it legally? Not a majority. That shit is like over $600, for the one program. There is no way in hell someone is going to pay that much money for god damn Adobe software when they don't need it for their job. Are there some people that probably have? Yeah, probably. That's a minuscule percentage though. Then comes the question of how is dude gonna get a job if he doesn't know how to use the software? Could he? Yeah. Are the going to hire the more experienced applicant? Yep.  I don't even know why i'm trying to explain all this shit to you people.  This should be obvious. "

I feel like eating some ice cream from somewhere really expensive. But I don't have the 30 bucks to buy that extremely fucking expensive ice cream, I need to buy my real meals with that money. But does that mean I shouldn't be able to eat good ice cream once in a while? 

So according to your logic, I can go break into every store I want to get shit I can't afford. Shit, Ipads are real damn expensive, and it's definatly not worth $600, so I'm fucking going to break into an Apple store and take one. 

I hope I'm understanding your response wrong, and it's infact about how in the real world, you need to pay for shit.
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GreggD: I like using the word retarded to spite New Jersey. 

@SethPhotopoulos: You're ability to drag out an argument without responding to my points isn't helpful either.
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By beforet

This shit again? Hasn't this topic already been beaten into the ground?

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By commandercup
@Hourai said:
" I don't think it's wrong if you were never going to buy it in the first place, because the developers don't lose anything. I do it all the time with video games I would never pay for, and most of the time I just play for them for a few days before getting bored. If I have any plans on playing the game often, then I'll save up and get it when I can. The only exception is if it's an old game that can be played on an emulator, 'cause I'm not paying $100 for it over eBay.  Or maybe it's not fine. Either way, that's just what I do.  "
I always thought that this argument was totally bs. Have you ever bought a game after pirating it? I don't see how this is a justification since if you have no interest in buying it (and by extension, playing it for any extended period of time), why are you pirating it?
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@LordXavierBritish said:
" Okay first off, all ya'll saying piracy is never okay are retarded. There are numerous reasons that some people need to pirate digital media. Just because you guys can afford shit doesn't mean everyone can. I mean, let's look at, oh I don't know, pretty much every single country in or around South America. They get totally and completely fucked over on everything when it comes to entertainment with all the outrageous importation tax and shit.  Secondly, yo it's hard a fucking enough for some people without all of you trying to bring your false moral pretenses up in here. So guy wants to save a few bucks for, oh I dunno, food? Does that mean he shouldn't be able to play some god damn games once in awhile? I mean hell, I know I've stopped playing a lot of new games simply because I don't have the money to pay $60 for a god damn game. I need $60. $60 is pretty decent chunk of money.  Now let's talk about software, like real software. How many people out there with Photoshop or Flash do you think got it legally? Not a majority. That shit is like over $600, for the one program. There is no way in hell someone is going to pay that much money for god damn Adobe software when they don't need it for their job. Are there some people that probably have? Yeah, probably. That's a minuscule percentage though. Then comes the question of how is dude gonna get a job if he doesn't know how to use the software? Could he? Yeah. Are the going to hire the more experienced applicant? Yep.  I don't even know why i'm trying to explain all this shit to you people.  This should be obvious. "
Fine then. 

1.) I can't afford shit but I don't steal entertainment. 
2.) Pay for food, leave some money on the side for games or other forms of entertainment. 
3.) Wait for the price to go down, games do that you know. 
4.) The people that buy shit legally get hurt by pirates since prices will start going up faster like the 360's new online prices being like $15 instead of $10.  
5.) There are more jobs than the ones that require computer programs.
commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By commandercup
@SethPhotopoulos:  On point #4, I don't think piracy is a big factor in the reason why games increase in price. I'm sure there's some write-up somewhere on why game prices go up, but mainly I'd attribute that to inflation, rising costs of development/marketing and the ability to do so (which obviously generates more revenue).
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@commandercup: I think that the ability to develop the newest tech is the leading cause of rising prices along with inflation but if it continues and game companies are making less, they are going to do something.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@SethPhotopoulos:
The problem for people who buy legally (for PC people at least) is the fact that developers just release console ports or have the world's shittiest drm because of pirates.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@No0b0rAmA: I want all games to do the Arkham Asylum thing though instead.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@SethPhotopoulos:
I am all for screwing pirates over. They should put a fatal virus or a adware that keeps on popping up on people who pirate games.
commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By commandercup
@SethPhotopoulos:  Yes, although that really isn't foolproof since I'm guessing that rocksteady leaked a copy out that had the problem in it? Otherwise, it would be exactly like DRM, except it wouldn't just force the game not to start.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@commandercup: I think it would be funny to hear all the stories of people pirating a game and can't get past a certain point early in the game because it's missing something vital.
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SethPhotopoulos said:
" Fine then.  1.) I can't afford shit but I don't steal entertainment. 2.) Pay for food, leave some money on the side for games or other forms of entertainment. 3.) Wait for the price to go down, games do that you know. 4.) The people that buy shit legally get hurt by pirates since prices will start going up faster like the 360's new online prices being like $15 instead of $10.  5.) There are more jobs than the ones that require computer programs. "
  1. Good for you. That doesn't prove anything. 
  2. You could do that, but if you are poor as shit then why do that when you could get games for free? Why should you subject yourself to that kind of finical risk when an easier option is available? 
  3.  And? I really fail to see your point here. 
  4. 360 games aren't pirated nearly as much as PC games or the portables. Microsoft marked those prices up because they could. You are right though, piracy does hurt the consumer, but only because publishers try to find ways around piracy instead of living with it. Pirates will always pirate no matter what barriers are put up in their path, that's just the way it is. By companies steadily increasing these obstacles they just end up hurting the consumer instead of their intended target. Plenty of indie musicians, game developers, and the like live with piracy as a reality and plenty of them have made careers out of their work. 
  5. I know a guy myself who is getting into digital art as a potential future career. That is his passion, and he wants to devote his life to it. Problem is, he is just starting college and he doesn't have any money for the software required to hone his skills. Should he just abandon his dreams because Adobe decides to mark up their software to insane prices? I don't think so, but then again I'm one to believe that every person is entitled to pursue what they want most.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sooty

If you want to pirate something then just do it, it's up to you. Why should you care what people on the net think? Joe average pirates music, heck a lot of people in this thread that say it's wrong probably pirate music.

People taking the moral highway over piracy on the Internet are always amusing. You can say it's wrong but don't bother calling people scum over it and such, piracy isn't in the same league as breaking into somebody's house and stealing physical possessions.

Edit: I download TV shows (takes fucking ages for US shows to air in the UK mostly, plus I get them in HD), some films, music and the odd app, only Photoshop really. I used to pirate games but now I always buy them on Steam. I also got rid of my modded 360 and went legit.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@LordXavierBritish:
You as a PC Gamer should know that piracy is destroying PC gaming. Imagine being an indie game dev, you put hours of work for 2 whole years, only to find out that people are pirating you game 24 hours after release. Your basically inconvinencing other people by making devs add drm thats real damn restrictive
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Afroman269

Say no to piracy. If you do want to pirate then keep it to yourself and not say you're doing it like I do. Wait a second........

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@LordXavierBritish said:
" @SethPhotopoulos said:
" Fine then.  1.) I can't afford shit but I don't steal entertainment. 2.) Pay for food, leave some money on the side for games or other forms of entertainment. 3.) Wait for the price to go down, games do that you know. 4.) The people that buy shit legally get hurt by pirates since prices will start going up faster like the 360's new online prices being like $15 instead of $10.  5.) There are more jobs than the ones that require computer programs. "
  1. Good for you. That doesn't prove anything. 
  2. You could do that, but if you are poor as shit then why do that when you could get games for free? Why should you subject yourself to that kind of finical risk when an easier option is available? 
  3.  And? I really fail to see your point here. 
  4. 360 games aren't pirated nearly as much as PC games or the portables. Microsoft marked those prices up because they could. You are right though, piracy does hurt the consumer, but only because publishers try to find ways around piracy instead of living with it. Pirates will always pirate no matter what barriers are put up in their path, that's just the way it is. By companies steadily increasing these obstacles they just end up hurting the consumer instead of their intended target. Plenty of indie musicians, game developers, and the like live with piracy as a reality and plenty of them have made careers out of their work. 
  5. I know a guy myself who is getting into digital art as a potential future career. That is his passion, and he wants to devote his life to it. Problem is, he is just starting college and he doesn't have any money for the software required to hone his skills. Should he just abandon his dreams because Adobe decides to mark up their software to insane prices? I don't think so, but then again I'm one to believe that every person is entitled to pursue what they want most.
"
2.)   You could do that, but if you are poor as shit then why do that when you could get games for free? Why should you subject yourself to that kind of finical risk when an easier option is available?  

I don't have an x-box but I'll take yours because I can't afford one. 

3.) And? I really fail to see your point here. 

The point is wait for it to be affordable instead of feeling entitled to something.  

4.)  Doesn't help they're perception of pirating if people pirate which still hurts us. 

5.) I'm sure colleges give those programs to students that need it since my friend was able to get it from the school.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Jeffsekai
@commandercup said:
" So, is it acceptable for students to pirate software, music, tv shows, movies etc.? The obvious argument I can see is that students have little to no income and thus can't afford to pay for everything. The general argument for piracy (some things just aren't worth the price) might also apply, but the big ringer is the fact that piracy is stealing period (right?). "
My friend is in a Graphic Design Class and he is pretty much expected to pirate photoshop and such to do the course.
RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#49  Edited By RJay_64

I would pirate school college textbooks if they were available on torrent.

I would not feel one bit of remorse either.  

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SethPhotopoulos said:
" 2.)   You could do that, but if you are poor as shit then why do that when you could get games for free? Why should you subject yourself to that kind of finical risk when an easier option is available?    I don't have an x-box but I'll take yours because I can't afford one.  3.) And? I really fail to see your point here.  The point is wait for it to be affordable instead of feeling entitled to something.   4.)  Doesn't help they're perception of pirating if people pirate which still hurts us.  5.) I'm sure colleges give those programs to students that need it since my friend was able to get it from the school. "  
  1. You can't equate piracy to stealing from another person. Technically you are stealing directly from the producer of the content. 
  2. You are right. Poor people don't deserve anything. 
  3. @Jeffsekai said:
    " My friend is in a Graphic Design Class and he is pretty much expected to pirate photoshop and such to do the course. "