#1  Edited By foggel
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By foggel

Next year is my final year studying international marketing management. And I have to specialize in some culture. Thing is I'm split between Shanghai and New York. Universities I plan on going to are Pace in Manhattan, or Fudan. I'm pretty sure I have good enough grades to get into both places, but uh... what's most fun? I'm thinking Shanghai is A LOT of fun... but that is mostly because of the new and exciting culture. But I'm thinking that's only fun the first couple of weeks, and will get boring after a while. But New York... god damn. The possibilities are endless. Lots of stuff to see, and there's always some place to drink. I'm thinking good times all year long. I dunno... 

Ok, if you had the choice...... where would you go?

Edit: Anybody heard of either unis? Pace? Fudan? Any good?
Also, I'm Norwegian.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I would never go to Shanghai. That's in effing China. Damn commies. Can't trust'em as far as you can throw them. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

Of the two, New York. Were there any other options? Nah those are both great.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By foggel
@MooseyMcMan: Yeah, but the potential market is INSANE :)
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

If you're going into marketing, getting a broader world sense by experiencing a drastically different culture will be invaluable.  Also don't forget China is going to own the planet in the next few decades.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By foggel
@TooWalrus: Yeah, there's ESAD in Barcelona, there's France, Singapore, Manheim (Germany), Vancouver (lol).. and lots of others but those two are the ones I'm considering.
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@foggel: I dunno, I just question the safety of anywhere in China. I mean, NYC is probably anything but safe, But your ass could be rotting in a dumpster for weeks in Shanghai before anyone tried looking for you.  

Or I could be completely wrong. I just don't like China because the government there is messed up. Probably not as bad as N. Korea or something, but messed up. 
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By foggel
@StarvingGamer: That's true. Considering everything I've learned the past couple of years, China will take over the world, in the same way the USA took the world from the UK. China is currently being industrialized, but the trend shows that China will start innovation soon. Which means they will have the most important role in international trade whithin just a few decades. They are already the second largest economy in the world. But still... New York seems awesome:)
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@foggel said:
" @StarvingGamer: That's true. Considering everything I've learned the past couple of years, China will take over the world, in the same way the USA took the world from the UK. China is currently being industrialized, but the trend shows that China will start innovation soon. Which means they will have the most important role in international trade whithin just a few decades. They are already the second largest economy in the world. But still... New York seems awesome:) "
Nah. Some dumbass Republican (like Mike Huckabee) will somehow win a presidential election here, and then bomb China. Sure, they probably have a bigger army, and nukes and stuff, but that ain't gonna stop the Huck-ster! He's got Chuck Norris on his side! 

(How have American politics fallen this far?) 
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer
@foggel: Hahaha true but think of it this way, you can either hang out in New York and party for a year while studying, or go to Shanghai and get the experience that will land you job so you can buy New York in 20 years.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By foggel
@StarvingGamer said:
" @foggel: Hahaha true but think of it this way, you can either hang out in New York and party for a year while studying, or go to Shanghai and get the experience that will land you job so you can buy New York in 20 years. "
haha I love your thinking :)
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

Shang OHAI 

Really though, I have no idea. 

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SSully

Shanghai, no questions asked. With the kind of job you will be going into they will pick the guy with international experience over the guy who has been in the US his whole life. 

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By foggel

Is Pace any good btw? Since it's in Manhattan I'm thinking it must be great.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By foggel
@SSully said:
" Shanghai, no questions asked. With the kind of job you will be going into they will pick the guy with international experience over the guy who has been in the US his whole life.  "
I'm Norwegian btw, so either is international experience :)
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By EvilTwin

I think I'd like to vacation in Shanghai, but not live there.  I imagine culture shock starts to wear on you after a few weeks.  Though, maybe New York would be as much of a culture shock to you as Shanghai.  I don't know.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By foggel
@EvilTwin said:
" I think I'd like to vacation in Shanghai, but not live there.  I imagine culture shock starts to wear on you after a few weeks.  Though, maybe New York would be as much of a culture shock to you as Shanghai.  I don't know. "
I think you're right. Just as an example, I remember the first time I met an American, and I still remember how confused I got by getting asked "how are you?" by a stranger. I'm thinking that's just the beginning :P
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SSully
@foggel: Oh well then both are good choices then! I think New York would be an easier experience and you would still get the international experience that would be great for you career. Though China is a rising country, maybe getting experience with a potential would benefit you more. Either way you choose it seems you will get good experience, so just fire away! I wish you the best of luck
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee

Shangai! Much more culturally different, and no doubt with plenty more fun potential. Just make sure to not kill any corrupt officials daughters. Lest you want to eventually find yourself fighting through the streets of Shanghai naked and bleedin'.

Where_Am_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Where_Am_I

Shanghai, I'm going to study in Hong Kong in March.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'd say New York but that's just me.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#23  Edited By ManMadeGod
@SSully said:

" Shanghai, no questions asked. With the kind of job you will be going into they will pick the guy with international experience over the guy who has been in the US his whole life.  "

But he has not been to the US in his life. 

I would think it would be much easier for a  marketing management major to make it in NYC than Shangai. Shangai would be cool for the first week because you would be in China, but New York is the cream of the crop when it comes to business. It has a world wide reputation for a reason and many people could only dream about one day getting a job there. If you could "specialize" (could you elaborate on what this means) and succeed there you can make it anywhere. For users saying "china is going to take over the world", that's a huge stretch. They are still decades behind the US even at their current GDP growth and that is assuming they continue on their current path. Look at Japan in the 80's and the hype behind them, and now they are stagnated.

Where do you want to work after college? Going to school in NYC would lend itself to you landing an internship and a job. You already know English, which is a huge plus. How much Chinese do you know? 

Honestly I think it comes down to the school. Look at the list of alumni, who recruits from each school, and what you want to take away from the education. This is far more important than the city itself. Pick the school that makes you happy and the rest will fall in place. 
Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tsoglani

I would go Shanghai, mainly because of the money you would save... if you lived in New York, be prepared to pay high costs of living, whereas in China it would be affordable to live.

Not to mention the fact that China will be the masters of the universe in a few years.

Mr_Pips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mr_Pips

I haven't been to Shanghai, but I've been to Hong Kong a few times and I can tell you that you won't want to live there for very long. Neat to visit, but that excitement wears off pretty quick, and you realize you're in a stinky, dirty city. (well, I guess that would apply to NY too). At least in NY you can travel to the more civilized neighboring states.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#26  Edited By ManMadeGod
@Tsoglani said:
" I would go Shanghai, mainly because of the money you would save... if you lived in New York, be prepared to pay high costs of living, whereas in China it would be affordable to live.  Not to mention the fact that China will be the masters of the universe in a few years. "
So wrong. China is far behind the US in terms of GDP and far behind most nations in terms of GDP per-capita.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Jeust
@foggel said:

" @TooWalrus: Yeah, there's ESAD in Barcelona, there's France, Singapore, Manheim (Germany), Vancouver (lol).. and lots of others but those two are the ones I'm considering. "

I'd go for Spain! Muchas chicas calientes, en especial en el verano. ahah 

You can't go wrong with choosing a Mediterranean country. 
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GunnBjorn

China is going to be an economical mogul in a couple of years. You would have an advantage by learning Mandarin/Cantonese.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iam3green

i would say new york. there are a lot of things to do there.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tsoglani
@ManMadeGod said:

" @Tsoglani said:

" I would go Shanghai, mainly because of the money you would save... if you lived in New York, be prepared to pay high costs of living, whereas in China it would be affordable to live.  Not to mention the fact that China will be the masters of the universe in a few years. "
So wrong. China is far behind the US in terms of GDP and far behind most nations in terms of GDP per-capita. "
I am so wrong that that is why the USA is $3 TRILLION DOLLARS in debt to China. 

I must also be wrong in thinking that New York is cheaper to live in than Shanghai? WTF
Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

If you're blonde I'd go to Shanghai, they fucking love blonde haired people. 

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Sambambo

New York 100%

But Manhattan is the place I most want to go, so im kinda biased...

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TooSweet

For Pace just research online to see what people have to say I suppose. Living in NY can be pricey but if you move out to the outer boroughs it can be somewhat affordable with a roommate. Just be careful the neighborhood you move in to. I kind of like the Astoria area in Queens near Long Island City. Its just a few stops outside of the city via public transportation (Train). I think Pace is located near the financial district. I've never been to China so I can't comment on it.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34  Edited By killroycantkill

If you're going to an experience I would just say Shanghi. You're not going to find anything that different in New York assuming you live in America.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By artofwar420

Shangai, 'cause the ladies.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By TheHBK

Dude, don't go to China.  That place fucking sucks.  The air will kill you if you don't get raped first.  Plus while the culture can be nice, I am not too sure that it something you want to live with for a year.  Its good for a week or so.  New York however, you would not feel out of place all the time and there is so much to see and do.  And there is tons of culture there.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Xeiphyer

Can you speak any chinese? I assume not, so that would make it extremely fucking difficult going to shanghai.