Sudden inability to sit down and enjoy a gaming session.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Deranged

Oddly enough, this is the first time it's ever occurred to me. I've been a dedicated gamer my entire life, with my average sessions sitting around 5-6 hours straight. Gaming was my life, there was never a dull moment where I couldn't sit down, turn on my Xbox and just play away without a moment's hesitation. But as of late, I found myself being unable to get further than simply turning on my console, starting at the dashboard for a few minutes and turning it off again. It's really picking at the back of my brain why I can't stand to start up a game anymore.

Recently, I've set my priorities straight. I've studied like a maniac and finally gotten into my desired program at the University, I've been working my ass off to be able afford all the upcoming expenses and it feels like lately, I just can't find the time to relax anymore. But to my dismay, I've worked equally as much during high school and always found time for gaming, even alongside everything else going on in my life.

Have any of you guys experienced something like this? Are you experiencing a distanced feel from gaming?

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By jacdg

Unless the game is fantastic, my sessions never really last more than 1½-2 hours, maximum, but yeah, the feeling of not wanting to play comes and goes, right now I don't really feel like playing anything, which is weird because I'm off school and should get as much time in as I can before I start university, there aren't even any games I look forward to at the moment, might only get one or two games more this year. So yeah, it is pretty normal.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CaLe

When a new game comes out I can sit down and play it for hours. Going back to older games when there's no new games, I can't play for very long. Over 270 games on Steam and never feel like playing any of them most of the time. I don't have to study, but that is what takes most of my time still.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Deranged

@JacDG said:

Unless the game is fantastic, my sessions never really last more than 1½-2 hours, maximum, but yeah, the feeling of not wanting to play comes and goes, right now I don't really feel like playing anything, which is weird because I'm off school and should get as much time in as I can before I start university, there aren't even any games I look forward to at the moment, might only get one or two games more this year. So yeah, it is pretty normal.

That's exactly how I'm feeling right now. I've still got around a month before school starts and I've never had a problem with gaming during the summer until now. Yes, the summer is really bland when it comes to games but I've spent countless hours with BF3, Future Soldier, and the Witcher 2, and all of a sudden, the urge to even turn on my Xbox has disappeared.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By artelinarose

Weird, this has been happening to me lately too. I no longer really play games, I just let Dwarf Fortress run in the background while I do other things. I've been taking more and more breaks lately. I go about thirty minutes to an hour before I just get up for ten minutes or so.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Yeah, I can only enjoy MMO's, RPG's or stuff like MOBA's that have some sense of (quick) character development.
And even those I play pretty briefly, it takes a hell of a game to keep me playing nowadays (Witcher 2 <3).

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TobbRobb

Yeah I've been in a slump for gaming since.... April? i have shitton of games to play, and I keep getting more from steam sales and the like. But I just... Don't want to play. I dunno if it's because my myriad of game just aren't interesting enough or if I just have lost interest in the medium.

It's been a whole lot of watching movies or anime and reading for most of this year.

Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Titl

I have had this feeling for some time now, and i was afraid that i might never actually enjoy a game again, the same way i used to (playing for entire days, without any other distractions). But in my experience, it's all about the games and how busy i am. If i am super busy and tired when i have some time off, i don't feel like gaming. I can feel like that for 6 months, but suddenly a game comes along and sort of reignites my gamer passion, and i can play that game for days and days (Skyrim and ME3 were my last big ones.).

I haven't been gaming a lot for a while now, but i am looking forward to binge on some of the upcoming games. I also think it has something to do with getting older (unfortunately) i think my you just, kind of, focus on different things. Not that you forget about gaming, but it gets pushed back on the sub-conscious "to-do" list.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says

Hemmoroids are a bitch.

Edit: when the new games come out I'll be able to spend more than an hour playing a specific game :)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

I've had that feeling before. Honestly though Im good to go. Been playing Dawnguard and Working to getting full achievement points in Skyrim. Also been playing a ton of DOA 4 online with some fellow duders. Just counting down the days until DOA 5. :)

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By dichemstys

I used to really have that feeling, but I suddenly woke up and was just really fucking excited to play games again. It was a weird period.

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By pandorasbox

It's probably a combination of a lot of things. A couple of those things are probably your age and the fact that games have been getting less exciting as current generation consoles have been aging.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pinworm45

This happened to me a year ago. I can barely play games anymore, same with movies. Just kinda bored, it's all more or less the same shit, with some exceptions for the excellent stuff.

Just take a break I guess.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Deranged

@TobbRobb said:

Yeah I've been in a slump for gaming since.... April? i have shitton of games to play, and I keep getting more from steam sales and the like. But I just... Don't want to play. I dunno if it's because my myriad of game just aren't interesting enough or if I just have lost interest in the medium.

It's been a whole lot of watching movies or anime and reading for most of this year.

I have the same problem. After studying extensively this past year, I've missed out on smaller releases that I know I would of adored such as Darkness 2, Syndicate, and Binary Domain. I played Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3 and Battlefield religiously but about halfway through July, the urge just died. Games that I want to finish and had such a graving for including Future Soldier, Deus Ex, Dragon's Dogma and even casual games such as Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Sniper Elite V2 have eluded me.

Lately, I'd just come back from work and sit on my laptop the entire day. It's pissing me off.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#15  Edited By MightyDuck

I'm in the same boat with you, short of playing co-op with a friend, I'm losing interest. I think I also have total shooter fatigue. No interest to play them, even those that I was interested in like RE6 and black ops 2.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By yoshimitz707

Yeah, this happens to me all the time. It kind of just comes and goes. Pretty annoying when I have some free time and am stuck in that phase, though.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Fallen189

I'll tell you the same I tell everyone who makes this thread once a week. 

You're growing up.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexW00d

I get this occasionally.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Deranged

@Fallen189 said:

I'll tell you the same I tell everyone who makes this thread once a week. You're growing up.

I don't know if that fully applies really. I'm still massively addicted to video-games. Of all the things I do on the internet, it's visiting various video-game sites, Giantbomb forums, ComicVine and school work. I always have that insanely pumped feeling to play a video game but when I get down to actually playing it lately, it just doesn't click. It's an odd feeling really, I get the feeling lately that I don't have time for anything lately. I haven't been able to relax at all aside from when I workout and it's irritating because I really want to sit down and just play away.

Avatar image for theartofbalance
theartofbalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By theartofbalance

I've been stuck in a similar rut for close to a year now. I rarely play games by myself and the most hours I put in are on weekends with friends of mine. I used to engage in a lot of solo gaming but now it's purely a social thing.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it happens if I play games in a certain genre for too long. I'm a bit tired of RPGs and shooters at the moment but I started playing Lords of Shadow and Skate 2 and I put in a good 6 hour play session with both. It's just a feeling that comes and goes, try playing something that is completely different than anything else you have. Also, maybe try something visceral, it sounds like you have a lot on your mind.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I've never been able to play a game more than 2 hours at a time, even if I love it, after about 2 hours my brain is telling me "okay, now you're wasting time, do something productive." And even yet I've identified gaming as my favorite medium, I just play a lot less than the norm. Also, I only play about 2 or 3 games for up to 3 years, it's extremely odd, but that's how it is. I've been playing MK9, trackmania 2 canyon, and minecraft since they were all out, and barely anything else. So what I am saying is, you're probably going to approach games differently now, it can't be marathons all the time, forever.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

I'm pretty sure everyone goes through this at some point. If you feel like this is awkward and it doesn't happen for a lot of people, you're wrong. Don't worry, it's not really something that'll stay, unless you want it to. One of the easiest ways to get back into it, although it won't necessarily fix it entirely, it can, but it may not, is go and watch some gameplay videos of a game you're excited about, and after you're done try to find a game (or even a film or show) that's similar to that, and play it, or if the game is part of a series that came before, go play that.

I want you to know that it's something that'll pass, it's just that you don't have much interest in playing them right now, and you'll have to find something else to do while you wait. It's always good to have something to fall back on. Or maybe play a game that you have you may not otherwise do! There are a lot of remedies to this dilemma. You may also have slight depression, I'm not saying you're depressed, but another thing you can do is rearrange your setting that you play in, whether that be cleaning it up, or as I said, rearranging the area, small things like this can start your enthusiasm of playing again. Open some windows. I'm just trying to tell you, it's not strange, and it can happen quite often, but it's not too hard to fix. It can even, over time, fix itself.

Also, as someone had mentioned, it may be the fact that you're growing up, and by that, I mean you have other interests, and you subconsciously want to be experiencing different things. That could also goes with what I said by changing your setting.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Deranged

@CaptainTightPants said:

I think it happens if I play games in a certain genre for too long. I'm a bit tired of RPGs and shooters at the moment but I started playing Lords of Shadow and Skate 2 and I put in a good 6 hour play session with both. It's just a feeling that comes and goes, try playing something that is completely different than anything else you have. Also, maybe try something visceral, it sounds like you have a lot on your mind.

Hmm. I haven't been dwelling on a single genre for a while now to be honest. Before I had this "dry spell", I would switch between Battlefield, Mass Effect 3 and The Amazing Spider-man. Although, games in which I had so much excitement for and didn't have the chance to play earlier such as Future Solider and The Darkness, I can't even bear to complete.

A lot on my mind? I never thought about it but yeah, I feel like I've never been more stressed out in my life.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Orbitz89

I was in the same boat as you for almost a year.. I didn't want to even look at game screen shots, they literally pissed me off for some reason.. can't answer why. But then I decided to hook up my GameCube out of nowhere and play some older games from when I was a teenager, then all of a sudden I was hooking up old game systems like my N64, and PSX to play old games from when I was a kid. Now I have my PS3 hooked up because I have a lot of PSone games on my Hard drive and a fair amount of PS3 games too. I guess what I'm trying to say is I got over whatever the hell my problem was inexplicably.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By penguindust

Looks like it's time to pack up the consoles and learn to play golf. Really, so being unable to play 5 or 6 hours straight is a problem? Geez, why worry about it? Don't force yourself to play 'cause that will only make things worse. Me, I just play when I feel like it and that's just fine. It's probably been two or three weeks now since I've played anything. Like a lot of us here, I work a full week plus and so I don't have a lot of free time. What I do have, I spread around my few hobbies including crackin' wise with you folks here. I still love gaming and like to hear and read about games. Even if I'm not playing everyday or even every week, playing is something I still enjoy because I do it only when I want to. Not because I feel I must for whatever ill-conceived reason.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LikeaSsur

I can't say I've ever had this problem for a long period of time. Every so often I'll ask myself "What do I want to play?" And come up with nothing, but as soon as I boot up any game, I feel the fun come back.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kermoosh

ever since i started college, i couldn't do those 5 hour gaming sessions anymore. it hurts my head if i play too long. i guess it just comes with age maybe

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pezen

If you think this is a problem, I would say it's an indicator that you're lacking imagination on how to relax besides video games. Don't take that the wrong way, I oftentimes find myself playing games out of habit more than actual enjoyment. And there are days I almost sit for half an hour trying to convince myself there has to be a game I want to play. But the truth probably is that in the back of my head, something is telling me; Hey bozo, we want to do something else today. How about going outside and doing some photography, you douche.

At the end of the day, it's a hobby. A piece of entertainment. If you're not up for it, do something else. I bet you'll be happier about it too.

It's really that simple, but somehow it's incredibly hard to break the comfortable habit.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By galiant

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

(Witcher 2 <3).

I've lost more sleep over that game than I'd care to admit. Finished the first Witcher just a few days ago, and running Witcher 2 on ultra with everything enabled is just crazy atmospheric. 28 hours in I'm afraid I'm getting close to the end! I don't want it to end!!

On topic, it really depends on the game. Witcher 2 is one of those games, for me, that are really hard to put down. I've had similar experiences with some of Bethesda's open world games. Not all games can invoke that feeling, and they set the bar so damn high other games are just...boring.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Deranged

@LikeaSsur said:

I can't say I've ever had this problem for a long period of time. Every so often I'll ask myself "What do I want to play?" And come up with nothing, but as soon as I boot up any game, I feel the fun come back.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

I've always been like until lately.

@Pezen said:

If you think this is a problem, I would say it's an indicator that you're lacking imagination on how to relax besides video games. Don't take that the wrong way, I oftentimes find myself playing games out of habit more than actual enjoyment. And there are days I almost sit for half an hour trying to convince myself there has to be a game I want to play. But the truth probably is that in the back of my head, something is telling me; Hey bozo, we want to do something else today. How about going outside and doing some photography, you douche.

At the end of the day, it's a hobby. A piece of entertainment. If you're not up for it, do something else. I bet you'll be happier about it too.

It's really that simple, but somehow it's incredibly hard to break the comfortable habit.

Thanks for the insight but out of everything I've considered, I think it's because gaming has been the least of my worries lately. I've been so stressed lately with work and preparing for school that I just haven't had the time to sit down, pick up a controller, and let relief run through me. I guess I just have to find a way to relax again as I once did.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RuthLoose

@Pinworm45 said:

This happened to me a year ago. I can barely play games anymore, same with movies. Just kinda bored, it's all more or less the same shit, with some exceptions for the excellent stuff.

My solution is to pick up a book and read. After a few books your desire to play games will go up a bunch.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By beforet

Usually when I play it's for an hour to two hours. That's if I play, which is getting rarer nowadays. Too bad too, since there are some neat one coming out, but I just haven't had the time/energy/desire to play them.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Azteck

I barely play any games these days. I usually play a lot of DayZ with a bunch of friends but that's about it. Didn't buy anything during this years steam summer sale either, I simply wasn't interested. Don't be bummed out about it, it might just take a while. Find a new hobby in the mean time, read books, learn an instrument, join a fight club. You'll get there.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Deranged

@Azteck: Ha, the fight club sounds interesting.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Azteck

@mcderby4: Shhh, don't speak of the fight club.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pinworm45

@RuthLoose said:

@Pinworm45 said:

My solution is to pick up a book and read. After a few books your desire to play games will go up a bunch.

I read every night, heh