Suggest me a game, based on this:

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell

Hey I've had this itch, for a while, to play a game with a really fun, amazing world to explore. I LOVED the Final Fantasy games on PS1 where you go on this giant road-trip around a weird world, but the ones before that feel too retro, and MAYBE I'll try 10, but man those corny anime voices and Kingdom Hearts outfits, ugh...

I liked the look of Another World on GiantBomb this week, and I love reading up on stuff like this, about bizarre real-life wonders. What game can you reccomend me about visiting strange ghost-towns and sky-castles and invisible villages or whatever mysterious nonsense?

Hell, fuck, if it's not a game, if it's a comic I can get on Comixology, or an anime I've never heard of then go nuts. I thought Full Metal Alchemist was a cool world, and I just read issue #1 of Saga and might buy the first batch.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

ZENO CLASH

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well first off stick with Saga, that place goes places fast. They go to a Rocket Ship Forrest, that is exactly as it sounds.

As for a game.... I dont really know of anything that completely weird. I will have to think about this. Does Fez qualify at all? I hear that gets PRETTY weird.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I imagine you've already played Fallout 3. That was that for me.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By I_smell

Haha yea I haven't watched that Zeno Clash Quick Look, but actually that's a good suggestion.

Yea I was pretty interested in the idea of a rocketship forrest. I played Fez and it was really good! It felt really mysterious and fresh, it was great.

I'm not playing Fallout 3. It just looks so dark and grimey. I didn't really like Skyrim's world, it felt really uninspired and the voices and animation took me out of it- and the mechanics make it feel like such a grind!

How's Witcher, though? I saw a couple interesting monsters and characters in that.

EDIT-- Yep, played Shadow of the Colossus recently.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Fucking Skies of Arcadia. It's a Dreamcast JRPG that was rereleased on the GameCube and you can buy it online and play it on a GameCube or Wii. It's so good, and literally the whole game is spent flying around in an airship finding exotic lands, and along the way you discover weird natural wonders for an Explorer's Guild. IT IS BALLER AS SHIT.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@i_smell said:

How's Witcher, though? I saw a couple interesting monsters and characters in that.

The Witcher 1 and 2 both have some interesting things in them, but if you're looking for the outright weird then I don't think The Witcher 1 or 2 could really scratch that itch. They just take themselves too seriously for anything to really give off that eyebrow-raising "really, what?" sort of feeling. Regardless, you should play the second Witcher at some point.

Me? I'm going to suggest Morrowind. That suggestion comes with the caveat that you go find some mods for both the graphics and the gameplay, but man there is some really weird shit to see in that game and I haven't even played it for that long.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I might second that Morrowind nod. If you never played it before its crazy how alien and unique the world was compared to Oblivion and Skyrim which settled for much more traditional fantasy settings.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

Would Earthbound count? Fucking Moonside and all its strangeness. Or how about Magicant?

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Deus Ex Human Revolution. I know it isn't as fantastical as some of the other suggestions but I fell DEEP into that world and loved the hell out of it. It's a different kind of exploration, but I really appreciated the density of the world.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Deus Ex Human Revolution. I know it isn't as fantastical as some of the other suggestions but I fell DEEP into that world and loved the hell out of it. It's a different kind of exploration, but I really appreciated the density of the world.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oblivion. Turn the difficulty slider down. Beef up your character and use only your fists to block and attack. Results for stupid fun are way up there.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oblivion. Turn the difficulty slider down. Beef up your character and use only your fists to block and attack. Results for stupid fun are way up there.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By ShaggE

The vast majority of the adventure game genre. Especially the mid-to-late 90s CD-ROM adventures, like Neverhood or Obsidian.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

The Gothic games have a great sense of place. The first one has a super-wierd control-scheme. The third one is almost a bit too big for its own good, and needs extensive fan patches to run properly.

So I'd suggest you'd get it on with Gothic 2.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While they're not as grandiose as some of the other suggestions, I'd recommend any of the Castlevania or Metroid games.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While they're not as grandiose as some of the other suggestions, I'd recommend any of the Castlevania or Metroid games.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Longest Journey?

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By EVO

The Longest Journey?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Justin258

@i_smell said:

Hey I've had this itch, for a while, to play a game with a really fun, amazing world to explore. I LOVED the Final Fantasy games on PS1 where you go on this giant road-trip around a weird world, but the ones before that feel too retro, and MAYBE I'll try 10, but man those corny anime voices and Kingdom Hearts outfits, ugh...

I liked the look of Another World on GiantBomb this week, and I love reading up on stuff like this, about bizarre real-life wonders. What game can you reccomend me about visiting strange ghost-towns and sky-castles and invisible villages or whatever mysterious nonsense?

Hell, fuck, if it's not a game, if it's a comic I can get on Comixology, or an anime I've never heard of then go nuts. I thought Full Metal Alchemist was a cool world, and I just read issue #1 of Saga and might buy the first batch.

Have you ever heard of Baccano? It doesn't take place in an unfamiliar world, but the events that go on and the characters within them are fucking nuts.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@seppli said:

The Gothic games have a great sense of place. The first one has a super-wierd control-scheme. The third one is almost a bit too big for its own good, and needs extensive fan patches to run properly.

So I'd suggest you'd get it on with Gothic 2.

another nod to Gothic 2, if you can deal with the control scheme.

and another vote for Zeno Clash I and II. ZenoClash II got all of the weird quota for 2013 and put it in one game. It is a sight to behold. Do not miss this experience.

maybe take a look at Two Worlds II. It's got some fun in it. Get the Pirates of the Flying Fortress expansion pack deal. I thought it was pretty fun.

The Witcher series is good. It looks like western fantasy but the eastern europe mythology roots gives it a pretty cool flavor. The locations in the first game aren't exactly majestic or surprising though. I mean, you spend a good portion of the middle of the game wading thru a swamp and a sewer... but it's fun!

People talk bad about Risen 2 but I like it. You get to fight giant crabs and be a pirate.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@i_smell said:

The Witcher 1 and 2 both have some interesting things in them, but if you're looking for the outright weird then I don't think The Witcher 1 or 2 could really scratch that itch. They just take themselves too seriously for anything to really give off that eyebrow-raising "really, what?" sort of feeling. Regardless, you should play the second Witcher at some point.

Me? I'm going to suggest Morrowind. That suggestion comes with the caveat that you go find some mods for both the graphics and the gameplay, but man there is some really weird shit to see in that game and I haven't even played it for that long.

I second both these points. The Witcher's world is fascinating but it's not "weird". Still....play those games anyway.

Morrowind is definitely the strangest game in the Elder Scrolls world, world-wise. It's a great game.

tonyp2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all I agree with the Witcher 1 and 2, and one of my personal recommendations would be Dishonored, the atmosphere is extremely well done though exploration might be a little weaker. Another recommendation would be the Mass Effect series of games, thats a pretty fun Universe to explore.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps Tales of Vesperia or Ni No Kuni.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I might second that Morrowind nod. If you never played it before its crazy how alien and unique the world was compared to Oblivion and Skyrim which settled for much more traditional fantasy settings.

Yeah, despite being a relatively old game, Morrowind still looks quite special.

You may also be interested in checking out Planescape Torment.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FengShuiGod

Planescape is a good recommendation. Maybe Proteus. Skyrim. Stalker. Metro 2033.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

@bisonhero said:

Fucking Skies of Arcadia. It's a Dreamcast JRPG that was rereleased on the GameCube and you can buy it online and play it on a GameCube or Wii. It's so good, and literally the whole game is spent flying around in an airship finding exotic lands, and along the way you discover weird natural wonders for an Explorer's Guild. IT IS BALLER AS SHIT.

I would second this but know that the game has an incredibly high rate of random battles that might turn some off.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#37  Edited By audioBusting

Check out Oddworld. It's called Oddworld for a reason.

(sorry for double posting, the site was being weird)

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MezZa

If you want to stay close to Final Fantasy style for world stuff, but don't want to put up with the character style of X then I highly recommend XII. It's story is a bit slow at first since it focuses more on politics of the region than an outright save the world plot line, but it picks up after awhile. Depending on what you already know about XII, you may also want to look into the combat before starting it. I found the combat system to be really enjoyable, but I've known a few people who were off put by it. Considering how long the game is you'll probably want to know which side of that line you fall on before you start it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#40  Edited By BeachThunder

Check out Oddworld. It's called Oddworld for a reason.

(sorry for double posting, the site was being weird)

Yep, the site is fucked up at the moment =(

Also, The first 2 Oddworlds are great. Oddworld is up there with Zeno Clash as one of my favourite game universes.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

I know it looks like another post apocalyptic game, but trust me, there's more there than that.