#1 Posted by Marsher (315 posts) -

I've decided to take my parents CD/DVD collections and put them all in one place for them. I'm looking for suggestions on good software for ripping both types of media?

My parents are pretty handicapped when it comes to tech so I'm also looking for the best place to store it so they can access it easily without my help. I'm looking at iTunes because they have an apple tv, but maybe there's something better i am unaware of?

Thanks.

#2 Posted by Cat_Herder (89 posts) -

I can't recommend Exact Audio Copy enough for ripping CDs.

• Support for a ton of different formats
  • Connects to freedb for tagging ripped songs
  • Active community and lots of guides on how to use it
#3 Posted by FacelessVixen (2404 posts) -

For music: I was just gonna say iTunes unless .mp3 isn't geed enough for whatever reason.

For DVDs (and Blu-rays): DVDFab Passkey as your decryptor, and HandBrake as your ripper/encoder.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
#4 Edited by GenericBrotagonist (395 posts) -

Don't know about music, but makemkv is great for video. There's no compression so if you use it for blu-ray without any other compression software it'll fill up a hard drive pretty quick , but just for dvds it should be fine.

As for a way to access them, Plex is great. Once it's set up it's the ease of access and presentation of something like Netflix for any device on the same network as the computer acting as the server, and pretty much everything has an app available for it. If you set it up right and have a good enough upload speed you can even access your library over the internet. Jeff actually uses it, that's how I heard of it.

#5 Edited by TravisRex (819 posts) -

I use alcohol 120%, paid for it years ago, still works.

Use it to back up my playstation games as well.

#6 Edited by MATATAT (1223 posts) -

Yeah Alcohol 120% and Nero were always the one's I remember. I think Alcohol was a better experience from what I remember. I would just use iTunes unless there is some specific reason not to.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
#7 Posted by White_Silhouette (517 posts) -

DVD43 was a free decoder that worked well with Handbrake for video.

#8 Edited by myketuna (1947 posts) -

For CDs:

Exact Audio Copy (This can handle everything as far as ripping and encoding to mp3):

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

For DVDs (and Blu-rays):

MakeMKV (This will rip the disc "raw", so it'll be a 7-8 GB .mkv file for a regular DVD movie):

http://makemkv.com/download/

Handbrake (This can encode the .mkv file to a different format and/or compress it to a 1-3 GB file that works on the Apple TV like a .mp4):

https://handbrake.fr/

All of these tools are free and work on every disk I've ever put them up against unless the disc was like scratched pretty bad. But even then, some of those actually ended up working. It all depends on how the disk looks. I would guess their library is in fairly good condition though, so you should be all set.

As far as where to put them after you're done, I'm not entirely sure how iTunes works anymore as it's been a while since I've used it, but I believe that should suffice if they're going to be using their Apple TV. All of the media should be able to work off their iTunes library if it's all hooked up right. ...Right? Again, I don't have much experience with the Apple side of things, but theoretically, this should work. Tutorials for each of these tools can be found online and on YouTube.

#9 Posted by Marsher (315 posts) -

Thanks all for the suggestions!

#10 Posted by whitegreyblack (1930 posts) -

Several years ago I purchased a lifetime license to Magic DVD Ripper in order to digitize my DVDs; its interface is a bit archaic compared to some, but I still occasionally use it and it still works well.

#11 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (730 posts) -

I'm not familiar with DVD/BluRay ripping software, but my favorite CD ripping software is MusicBee. It's a full-featured music library management application, and comes with a ton of options for formats, databases for tagging, etc. I've heard lots of good things about Exact Audio Copy and dbPoweramp as well, and I believe those are dedicated to ripping and tagging so that may be the better option.

#12 Posted by FlappyHands (3043 posts) -

EAC for ripping music CDs, there is literally nothing better if accuracy of the rips matters to you even slightly.
I use Handbrake for DVDs. Between those two that is a very, very solid combo in my humble opinion.

#13 Posted by HarbinLights (187 posts) -

I'm interested in this, especially for making .flac files for some of my CDs.

I also have some reasonably obscure music, old 90s hardcore bands that were so unpopular they couldn't make ends meet, Industrial music of the non-mainstream, outsider variety, Visual Kei bands that never got more than 12 fujoshi to notice them, Touhou fandiscs.

It's kinda hard to find discographies for all of this stuff.

Some high quality rips with accurate tracks for everything would be awfully nice.

#14 Edited by Zelyre (1876 posts) -

I use MakeMKV to make all my rips, then reencode in Hand Brake. Ripping using MakeMKV takes no time at all, but the reencode process does take time. Fortunately, you can create batches. I usually buy 3-4 blu rays on Amazon, rip them, then create a queue. Next day, those videos are ready to go and the original blurays get vacuum sealed and tossed in the basement.

Once reencoded, I have Plex monitor the output folder and autoupdate. If you have a Roku, there's a Plex app and getting it to see the Plex server was a breeze.

#15 Posted by Spire88 (2 posts) -

well im still using WMP to rip and it still works just fine.