Super Monday Night Combat

zanshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By zanshin

Once again, I was shanghaied into playing some free game in an attempt to get a hat for Team Fortress 2. This time the game is Super Monday Night Combat, a game set up as a spectator sport, complete with announcers and a cheering audience.

The basic premise of the game is actually quite appealing. Each team has a set of turrets, and a respawning army of bots, with are fighting to take down the enemies defenses and finally destroy their enemies money ball, which will then win the game for them. In basic premise, this game remind me of Command & Conquer:Renegade, and game which I greatly enjoyed, but I don't believe was overwhelmingly popular.

But there are many short comings to Super Monday Night Combat First, there is a big disparity between the rookies and the veterans. There are a few attacks that are not readily apparent when you first play the game. Even now, I don't understand how some players are able to execute grappling moves, even more perplexing how some players can take out a gunner, with a chaingun firing at point blank range, with melee attacks.

Making this worse, the match making system gives the player no choice of what game they will join, nor the level of the players they will be matched with. So a number of the games are stacked in one teams favor, making for a slaughter. In addition, the matching system repeatedly gives messages with an accept button, which serves no purpose. Many times, it will say you are joining a game, only to be kicked back to the game joining screen.

Also, there are only 3 maps, and the commentator banter is quite limited, as you will probably hear the same phrases repeated in your first match, and again for each match you play.

zanshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By zanshin

Once again, I was shanghaied into playing some free game in an attempt to get a hat for Team Fortress 2. This time the game is Super Monday Night Combat, a game set up as a spectator sport, complete with announcers and a cheering audience.

The basic premise of the game is actually quite appealing. Each team has a set of turrets, and a respawning army of bots, with are fighting to take down the enemies defenses and finally destroy their enemies money ball, which will then win the game for them. In basic premise, this game remind me of Command & Conquer:Renegade, and game which I greatly enjoyed, but I don't believe was overwhelmingly popular.

But there are many short comings to Super Monday Night Combat First, there is a big disparity between the rookies and the veterans. There are a few attacks that are not readily apparent when you first play the game. Even now, I don't understand how some players are able to execute grappling moves, even more perplexing how some players can take out a gunner, with a chaingun firing at point blank range, with melee attacks.

Making this worse, the match making system gives the player no choice of what game they will join, nor the level of the players they will be matched with. So a number of the games are stacked in one teams favor, making for a slaughter. In addition, the matching system repeatedly gives messages with an accept button, which serves no purpose. Many times, it will say you are joining a game, only to be kicked back to the game joining screen.

Also, there are only 3 maps, and the commentator banter is quite limited, as you will probably hear the same phrases repeated in your first match, and again for each match you play.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By FLStyle

@zanshin: Just to be sure, am I to understand that before this blog, you'd never heard of the MOBA genre?