System Of A Down to Headline Download 2011

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hitchenson

So yeah, that happened and I may not listen to SOAD as much in recent years, but I fucking loved them when I was a bit younger and need to go to this. 

“We are excited to announce that System will be playing some dates together in 2011.  We also want to thank you for your loyalty and support, not only to System Of A Down, but to all of our solo efforts as well.  We have no master plan of sorts – we are playing these shows simply because we want to play together again as a band and for you, our amazing fans.  We look forward to seeing all of you!”

"System Of A Down have revealed on their tour dates that they will be headlining the Saturday at Download (June 11th)."  

Source.
JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JammyJesus

SOAD haven't been good in years. Download has never appealed to me either. Leeds all the way. 

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

They'd better come to America is all I'm saying.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By chrissedoff

system of a down sucked back in the day so i can't imagine how fart they are now

Balaamsafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Balaamsafe

This news came to me this morning just after I head of Leslie Nielsen's death, it cheered me up a bit, System fucking rock.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Stop this NU-metal revival before somebody gets hurt.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Fuck SOAD, Avenged Fucking Sevenfold are headlining too, motherfuckers. I missed Download last year on account of having the shot kicked out of me, but NOTHING is gonna keep me away this time.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By YoThatLimp

What the fuck is this 2003 again?

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Cramsy
@JammyJesus said:

" SOAD haven't been good in years. Download has never appealed to me either. Leeds all the way.  "

they haven't played music in years.   

@chrissedoff
said:

" system of a down sucked back in the day so i can't imagine how fart they are now "

Really?  

I for one am very excited =] Reminds me of being in year 8 again 
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@JerichoBlyth said:
" Stop this NU-metal revival before somebody gets hurt. "
nah no one is getting hurt, that music sounds good and it's one of the few old sub-genres that still exist today for metalheads to relate to the 80s and 90s  
i say with all the disappointing metalcore and screamo smothering and killing metal slowly, Nu-metal is a lifeboat
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Nu- metal was cool, man. Early Slipknot were so much better than they are now.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By meteora

I do not consider SOAD to be very nu-metal. When I think about nu-metal, I think about the earlier half of Linkin Park (1998-2005) and bands like Slipknot or Limp Bitzit. 

Either way, I love SOAD so this is great.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By ESREVER

SOAD and A7X at Download? I'm in the wrong country.  
Gah! I'm still kicking myself for passing up the same concert, except it was in Houston. I chose to go to VGL instead... go ahead and laugh, I deserve it.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ghostiet

When I recently returned to the two albums that actually matter - selftitled and Toxicity, it came to me that I've remembered those albums as much better than they actually are.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Raymayne
@JammyJesus said:
" SOAD haven't been good in years. Download has never appealed to me either. Leeds all the way.  "
Well they've been on hiatus for 4 years numbnuts. 

On-topic, whatever...Download has lost the plot these last few years. SOAD are great and I loved Mezmerize/Hypnotize back in the day, but they're not what I would think of when someone says "Download Headliners", good luck to them all the same, I'm sure they'll draw a decent enough crowd.
Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chokobo

lol @ most of the responses in this thread.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Faint

didnt know they were back together :) great news!

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Meteora said:
" I do not consider SOAD to be very nu-metal. When I think about nu-metal, I think about the earlier half of Linkin Park (1998-2005) and bands like Slipknot or Limp Bitzit.  Either way, I love SOAD so this is great. "
This. SOAD is not nu-metal.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HandsomeDead

I have to respect Download for at least managing to somehow manage to have a worse line up year after year.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SSValis

I used to love System of a down but then I grew up and realized that they were fucking terrible.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By samfo
@SSValis:
this, I have a problem with SOAD. They preach peace and talk about how war is bad. But a large portion of their fans just want to listen to some angry shit and probably are totally for the wars and blowing shit up.
tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tsolless

I like NuMetal when I was a snotty brat. I matured.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Bollard

SOAD are back together now eh? My cousin will be pleased!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead
@SSValis said:
" I used to love System of a down but then I grew up and realized that they were fucking terrible. "
I'm still embarrassed that at one point they were my favourite band.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ajamafalous

System of a Down were one of my favorite bands in the early 2000s, was disappointed when they broke up even though I didn't really like Mezmerize/Hypnotize.

Also, nu-metal is early Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit, not SOAD.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Faint
@SamFo said:
" @SSValis: this, I have a problem with SOAD. They preach peace and talk about how war is bad. But a large portion of their fans just want to listen to some angry shit and probably are totally for the wars and blowing shit up. "
that's an interpretation though, not a statement of truth. im a fan of SOAD and i support the peace element of their music and existence as a band. angry arm swinging 'metal' fans is just the thing that people are into these days, and they'll do their slam dancing crap to any music that allows them to do so, whether its relevant or not to the sound, or if they are even listening. 

as for all the 'nu-metal' claims, SOAD are most definitely not nu-metal. i think people try too hard to try and stick bands into specific genres, when clearly there are many that overlap for different artists. why can't people just enjoy the music instead of trying to label it? genre is just meant to give some sort of indication as to what you might expect. if someone told me SOAD are 'nu-metal', id expect someone to be rapping over some sort of metal'ish sounding guitar riff and possibly rap'ish vocals (not unlike limp bizkit, old linkin park, etc). then i would listen and go... hey... this sounds nothing like what you described. SOAD isn't POST AMBIENT SYMPHONIC BLACK DEATH METAL. its just metal.

also in response to the comment about the download festival having worse line ups every year, its easier to accuse than to really see the problem. that problem being, there are less 'good' metal bands as the days, months and years pass, and we end up with trashy shit like avenged sevenfold and trivium. one might say they have less 'epics' or 'legendaries' to select from each time, and are slowly being left only with 'blues' and mostly 'greens' to choose from. ;)

rant end.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JerichoBlyth
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @JerichoBlyth said:
" Stop this NU-metal revival before somebody gets hurt. "
nah no one is getting hurt, that music sounds good and it's one of the few old sub-genres that still exist today for metalheads to relate to the 80s and 90s  i say with all the disappointing metalcore and screamo smothering and killing metal slowly, Nu-metal is a lifeboat "

Nu-Metal is the reason behind the existence of Pop-Emo and trendy, safe metalcore - they are the evolved state of Nu-metal. 

Sorry but I never want to see bands like SOAD, Limp Bizkit and Korn headline another event ever again but alas - 2011, this is all you will see I'm afraid.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@JerichoBlyth:  well when you're right you're right..  
However i dont blame them for doing their own thing and having the next generation take the music the wrong way, it's not their fault and i still think Nu-Metal is a legit and explosive metal sub-genre. this is coming from a guy who loves Death and Thrash and Power and Symphonic .. 
 i could blame Pantera for causing this new lame hostile screamish metal whatever it's called, or blame Nirvana for causing Nickelback but fuck that, their agonizing grunge was out of this world (lets not argue about this, im talking on a personal level. if u dont like grunge thats your thing) 

Anyway what's happened happened. what we have now is the old metal struggling to survive, and the new shit metal smothering everything else. we need all the old sound we could get and Nu Metal is it
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#29  Edited By citizenkane

I only care for about half of SOAD's songs(the stuff that isn't too metal), but that half I really, really like.  I have also liked Serj's solo work and Scars on Broadway.

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By neozeke

I wish I were there haha, and in any case, if you were to lump SOAD in with the nu-metal groups they would probably have the most merit. Their songs weren't super complex by any means but they did have some interesting ideas. Question! is a good example. But the only (semi) white guy that should be allowed to rap over metal is Zach De la Rocha   

@Ahmad_Metallic:
Out of curiosity, do you visit metal sucks? They usually feature metal bands of varying style (usually with a heavier emphasis towards death/black/thrash/grind) and more traditonal metalcore bands (i.e. Converge, Botch, Shai Hulud bands that were hardcore bands with a metal edge opposed to the As I lay Dying, killswitch engage style of tough guy vocals followed by super whiny vocals) and even straight up hardcore bands. Although you might want to avoid Sergent D's articles. He seems to be the only one on the site to favor the modern metalcore style. 

Oh and if you haven't heard of them, Revocation is a pretty swell band that might be up your ally. KInda Death metal meets thrash meets hardcore and thin lizzy

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jasta
@HandsomeDead said:

" I have to respect Download for at least managing to somehow manage to have a worse line up year after year. "

Do you mean the headlining acts or all the bands general? Because if its either you cant like heavy music all that much.

Also, Avenged Sevenfold arint headlining. They are just on the bill.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@neozeke:  thanks for the info. i'll check the site out! after watching Sam Dunn's second documentary this morning "Global Metal" i got this hunger for more unknown metal to explore, Metal Sucks is where im gonna look! whats with the name though? "metal sucks" ? trying to make fun of metal haters perhaps ? 

and Revocation sound pretty damn solid
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This is..... Great Fucking News.      
That is all, I will now go express my joy away from things that break easily.

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By neozeke
@Ahmad_Metallic: I think its more along the lines that modern metal is pretty garbage, but here's some pretty unique groups haha. And existence is futile was probably the best record of last year haha.
Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Liono88

SOAD is one band that knows how to play some damn good music. I saw them at Ozfest some years ago. Either way their music is unique and hard to label in one genre or another but they are an amazing band and their performances speak for themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I as so happy when I read this email this morning. Unfortunately there are no NA dates announced, but I can be patient! I have grown out of SOAD but will kill for the chance to see them live so I can relive my younger days.  

Also, quit with the Avenged Sevenfold hate.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SSValis
@SamFo said:
" @SSValis: this, I have a problem with SOAD. They preach peace and talk about how war is bad. But a large portion of their fans just want to listen to some angry shit and probably are totally for the wars and blowing shit up. "
also their attempts at being deep our laughably bad and most of their lyrics make no sense 

@HandsomeDead said:
" @SSValis said:
" I used to love System of a down but then I grew up and realized that they were fucking terrible. "
I'm still embarrassed that at one point they were my favourite band. "
I think they were my favorite band when I was 13, I thought the name System of a Down sounded really cool.
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By rjaylee
@arab_prince said:
"Also, quit with the Avenged Sevenfold hate. "
I don't like Avenged Sevenfold at all either, and in fact I'd even say they sound absolutely terrible in my ears, but we're just as entitled to our opinion of not liking Avenged Sevenfold as much as you're entitled to enjoying them.
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@heatDrive88 said:
" @arab_prince said:
"Also, quit with the Avenged Sevenfold hate. "
I don't like Avenged Sevenfold at all either, and in fact I'd even say they sound absolutely terrible in my ears, but we're just as entitled to our opinion of not liking Avenged Sevenfold as much as you're entitled to enjoying them. "
Indeed you are
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By grilledcheez

Well I still like them so this news is pretty good to me.  Hopefully they can get over their egos and make some damn music.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HandsomeDead
@SSValis said:
"@HandsomeDead said:
" @SSValis said:
I'm still embarrassed that at one point they were my favourite band. "
I think they were my favorite band when I was 13, I thought the name System of a Down sounded really cool. "
Pretty much exactly the same here. Urgh, just typing this feels like a confessional.