Tablet for manga reading?

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am looking to purchase a tablet with the main purpose of reading scanned images of manga. Most manga is in a tankōbon size format

(roughly 13 × 18 cm, or 5" × 7") I just looked at a bunch of my images and most of them are around a resolution of 700x1100.

I am thinking an 8" tablet would be a good size as it closely matches the source size. the images I will be reading are nearly all black and white and I will be viewing the images in portrait a single page at a time. What resolution do you think would be best?

These 3 examples all have a similar size but vary in resolution. Samsung Tab 4 8.0 @ 1280x800. LG G Pad 8.3 V500 @ 1920x1200. Samsung TabPRO 8.4 @ 2560x1600.

What are you're suggestions/recommendations? Any help is much appreciated.

Sorry for the wall of text but I am asking about fairly specific purpose so I thought more information would be better than less.

Parkingtigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you're buying a tablet, get the best one you can. That's the iPad Mini. I moved down from the full size iPad, and comics of all types still read just fine on the 7.9" screen. I use ComicZeal to read the books, which has a Manga option built in.

I notice you only listed Android tablets, but when it comes to the hardware the iPad Mini really is a class above. Light, great screen (especially with the new Retina display), and the narrow side bezel makes it feel bigger than other devices of the same size. The added bonus is that in addition to your primary purpose, you'd get a really good gaming device too.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By splodge

@parkingtigers said:

If you're buying a tablet, get the best one you can. That's the iPad Mini. I moved down from the full size iPad, and comics of all types still read just fine on the 7.9" screen. I use ComicZeal to read the books, which has a Manga option built in.

I notice you only listed Android tablets, but when it comes to the hardware the iPad Mini really is a class above. Light, great screen (especially with the new Retina display), and the narrow side bezel makes it feel bigger than other devices of the same size. The added bonus is that in addition to your primary purpose, you'd get a really good gaming device too.

iPad mini is indeed quite nice.

If you dont want to go iOS, and want to stick with android, I would reccommend the LG 8 inch tablet. I sold a lot of these at my old job. Probably the best value android tab on the market at christmas. Extremely reliable, excellent screen, and many more features.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/tablets/lg-g-pad-8.3-tablet.html

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I probably should of stated that I definitely want an android tablet. I'm just not sure about size I could get the wider but a bit smaller 7.9 (like the ipad mini I really like the look of that size) or something a bit taller and thinner like the LG stated above.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Check out the comic vine forms you might get some good advice over there.

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a good idea! I will do that. Thanks.