Taking a stand for my health

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Drew stands. I always thought that was interesting. His example was not the first time I had heard about the health benefits of standing versus sitting for dormant tasks but it took until last night for me to realize something about my home habits needs to change.

Since the accident in December I have had, understandably, a lot of downtime. Much of this downtime was absolutely necessary for my recovery but now I'm reaching a point where I need to more carefully balance my rest with my activity as months and months of bed rest and video games and poor dietary choices have done little to help my overall health. The intense physical therapy every week helps keep some things in check but I wouldn't say I'm 'living healthy' at the moment.

So I was trying to think of what I could do on top of the occasional short walk and eating a little better (my eating habits are still atrocious, I'll cop to that) to stay healthy in my tiny little apartment. Last night as I was falling asleep I had an epiphany.

Gaming while standing.

I'd heard about some players taking up the habit of playing games standing up, sitting for 10 minutes or so every hour, and enjoying nice long three to four hour chunks of games this way. It supposedly has helped tons of people lose hundreds of calories every day by just standing while they shot Covenant in the face... And that's just from standing still!

So I've decided I'm going to take the "Standing While Gaming" challenge for a month or so and see how it treats me. I'll likely have to start a little lighter than most able-bodied folk but I'm hoping at the very least it will help my energy levels some, since lately I've just been going to work and coming home immediately after to crash in bed and lie there until it's time to get up again for my next shift. No matter how much I sleep I still feel like shit in the morning.

So here's hoping. I'm spending little bursts of energy cleaning up my game space so I can start this little adventure. Tomorrow I think I'll kick things off by working towards finishing Dead Rising 3... On my feet.

I'm taking a stand for games, for my health, and for my future.

I'll try to be observant about how I'm feeling as I go through this process and share as I go along!

P.S. Pogs are coming, I promise. I've just been having a rough week. :/

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Aetheldod

Geat for you duder ... as a person whos last job demanded to be standing for 7-8 hours straight I can atest that satnding up does indeed helps in loosing weight , not a lot tho but still I lost around 5 kilos , even if my soda intake increased dramatically. So go for it , I should maybe do something like that again , even more so now that I have no job and stay seatted all day long.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2 Justin258  Online

I can't play Counter-Strike standing up.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I can't play without kneeling.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I've thought about doing this a few times but just never did. Maybe I'll start and see how I feel after a few weeks.

Great idea though! It's a good way to get at least some exercise in while doing something pretty innocuous.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I've tried doing this in the past too, and it certainly kept my gaming sessions in check.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@hunkadunkasaurus: I've pretty much always played consoles standing up, coming from the way my room at home had no-where good to sit, and a TV which was on top of a raised unit/wall mount. It meant the screen was at head height when standing, and its gotten to the point where if I want to play well and win in games like FIFA and COD I need to be standing or I feel uncomfortable/unable to play.

Since getting a PC though I'm less able to indulge this habit, and have been considering getting a standing desk one day.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You probably feel like shit in the morning because you've been lying on your bed for so long. When you get home from work, chill on a couch or chair instead. Beds are for sleeping.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I sometimes stand while gaming, although in some cases it's just when I am really angry at the game and am doing a "it's ON now, you damn game".

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkadunkasaurus:

Make sure you still move your legs occasionally. Venous return from the legs back to heart is largely dependant upon muscle movement (alongside some other things, like pressure differences), and having legs be locked can lead to stuff like DVTs. Anyway, sounds like an interesting plan, hope it works out for you. If you find that standing isn't all that fun, maybe consider investing in an exercise ball to sit on while gaming instead.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If my knees can take it I hope to do gaming while using an exercise bike, I believe more in something like that than doing things standing.

I recommend beginning with throwing away that fancy office chair and going with a stiff straight up wooden kitchen/dining table chair, it'll make your butt and back hurt from being so hard and it might not be the right height exactly but holy moly did it get rid of the backpains I suffered from for many years.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can you guys talk to your doctors first before trying it? Just incase it's just a fad (I honestly think it is) for health nuts. I'm no physician but I've always understood that like sitting for too often, standing can be just as detrimental. The healthiest way was supposed to be doing both often. Never sitting or standing but like sitting for an hour then maybe 15 minutes of standing and stretching. On the flipside, standing for an hour then sitting and stretching for 15.

Like I said, I'm no doctor or anything, but standing constantly doesn't seem great for the knees and joints.

Here's a quick Wiki entry on the effects of standing too often.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_complications_of_standing

Just talk to your doctors, physical therapists, etc first before deciding to stand around all day. There are healthier alternatives available.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

I wouldn't recommend it to people with overweight or circulation problems. One of the reasons why people prefer to sit or lie down is to help your perifery bloodflow by cancelling the force of gravity on your veins. Standing up accomplishes a minor increase in caloric expenditure but you expose the veins of the legs to gravity, you stress your joints a little (this could be aggrevated by overweight) and standing all day can lead to callus on the bottom of your feet. You are also holding a controller the whole time without supports to your elbows, which leads to a posture change in your shoulders and it can tire your arms and shoulders. You should do squats while gaming or other leg exercizes. If you can stand up long stretches of time without much problems, I guess it's okay.