The Academy Awards 2012: Nomination Talk

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Why_So_Serious

So I posted this same topic on GS and I just wanted to see a broad perspective from other people as well.

So its that time of the year again. I know we still have a month left till the year is out, I think we can start to form a good picture of what the race will be looking like. Just give your toughts on who you think will be nominated in each category and an explanation why. You know the drill, its simple.

For best picture so far only a few have stood out to me. Hugo was fantastic, as well as Ides of March and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2(yes i will argue this point with you, call me crazy i think it deserves AT LEAST a nomination). Although I am really excited to see what Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is like. With an all-star cast like that it won't disappoint.

For Best Actor it has to be down to George Clooney(he has 2 possible roles here), DeCaprio was phenomenal in J. Edgar even though the movie was a letdown, and I guarantee someone from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is nominated. Who it will be remains to be seen.

For Best Supporting Actor I really like Ben Kingsley from Hugo, Armie Hammer from J. Edgar, and Alan Rickman from HPDHP2. J. Edgar had some phenomenal acting but the movie itself just fell up short. And Alan Rickman has always been a genius I think its about time he gets some recognition.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Brunchies

The Artist might be getting some love, and the Tree of Life will win the cinematography award.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cstrang

I haven't really been keeping my Best Movies list, but I'd be surprised if J. Edgar didn't get some love. DiCaprio was really good in it, it was directed well, and The Academy loves biopics, especially ones about (alleged) homosexuals. Just look at Capote.

Also, inb4 "Go to Screened! this is a video game website!"

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EVO

I've missed a lot of films this year, but I did see Rise of the Planet of the Apes which was incredible.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dany

Midnight in Paris was great, I loved Tree of Life. Don't know what else, Hugo for CG perhaps? Harry Potter getting a few nominations and maybe a single win. (if anything). I'm waiting for The Artist, Lets Talk about Kevin and dragon tattoo.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mikeeegeee

Saw The Descendants today. Alexander Payne is going to win something, and the movie at large will win at least two or three other awards. It's really good.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dany

@mikeeegeee said:

Saw The Descendants today. Alexander Payne is going to win something, and the movie at large will win at least two or three other awards. It's really good.

I went and saw Hugo the other day and there was a huge line for that movie! At first I thought it was twilight or the muppets but at 1 PM there was

1. a line for a movie

2. for a George clooney 'indie?' movie, more specifically

I was completely baffled. What am I missing? I've seen the trailer and it looks fine.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FengShuiGod

Not a lot of great movies out this year. Haven't seen Tree of Life yet, but Days of Heaven is one of my all time favorite movies and I enjoyed Badlands and The Thin Red Line so here is hoping Malick has pulled off another great one. Melancholia looks like it has potential too. I have yet to see it as well as Hugo and The Muppets, although I doubt the Muppets will be winning anything. Nothing else this year has tickled my fancy.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Why_So_Serious

I really want to see the Descendant I am going this weekend, My goal is to see all possible nominees. And Harry Potter deserves several wins in at least Best Original Score, Visual Effects, Sound Mixing, pretty much all technical categories, I'd like to see what someone else thinks was more technically brilliant then this film. I mean the whole series needs to be recognized for what it's done. And I think it should at least be nominated for Best Picture although I know its a 1/100 odds it will win.

My main thing is this movie needs recognition. It has one of the highest critic scores in a long time, something is deserved! And people need to recognize the brilliance of Alan Rickman. For real. HP fan or not he was phenomenal.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Why_So_Serious

I just wanted to say I know a lot of people will flame me for defending HP, but I could write a paper on why it deserves some recognition. I am not saying the other movies suck, if you read my OP I said that there were a lot of deserving films, I just feel like this one deserves more than a lot of money. I'm also tired of the stereotype that blockbuster films aren't worthy of Oscars. LOTR:ROTK is the only recent blockbuster to win anything big and rack up Oscars, and I would like another film to break this stereotype. Blockbuster films can be great, not a lot yes but some.

EDIT: Yes I  obviously know Ledger won an Oscar from a big blockbuster film :D

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nemt

I've only seen a handful of movies this year.

Drive, Tron, Thor, Immortals, Moneyball, Green Lantern, Harold & Kumar, X-Men.

I imagine of that list only Drive and Moneyball would be nominated for anything non-technical. Some of these may have been 2010 anyway.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lemmycaution217

So far I have really enjoyed Melancholia, Drive, and The Tree of Life. Still want to watch The Artist, Dragon Tattoo, Hugo and a couple other films I missed earlier this year. I hope Lubezski wins for the cinematography in The Tree of Life.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By donchipotle

Harry Potter will not win any of the 'prestige' awards but it will probably be up for some of the technical stuff.

Personally I would love to see Drive get some Oscar recognition, I doubt it will but it is one of those artistic crime flicks, and the Academy loves that shit. Clooney is going to get a nomination for The Descendants, no contest. Payne will probably be up for Best Director as well. I am curious if War Horse and We Bought a Zoo will turn out to be as Oscar-baity as the trailers seem.

Elizabeth Olsen and John Hawkes could also be up for acting nominations. Puss in Boots might take Best Animated since Cars 2 was so middling. Though Winnie the Pooh was this year and that could be a good underdog as well as Rango.

Despite his controversy, Lars von Trier's new movie Melancholia is probably going to be considered. I didn't care for it, but I'm not the Academy.

Lastly, and this is pure selfishness, I feel that Moneyball should be considered for some awards, namely screenplay and possibly acting.

I'm interested in the coming month for all the real Oscar-bait movies to fully hit.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Why_So_Serious
@DonChipotle
I totally agree with you on Moneyball amazing film and Brad Pitt needs a Best Actor nod. Also, The Adventures of Tintin will get best animated most likely. Its Spielberg and Peter Jackson....I mean seriously lol.
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Deusx

I haven't seen Hugo yet but I really can't wait, that movie looks so amazing.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dany

Forgot about drive, Gosling was amazing in that role, also Kirsten dunst for melancholia was SPLENDID. Love that movie.

Also, tree of like is mallicks est work, better that days of heaven which is second for me

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By monetarydread

I believe that Nick Nolte deserves at least a best supporting actor nod for Warrior. Hell, the movie wasn't perfect, but the whole cast of that film is as good as it gets in a sports movie.

Emmanuel Lubezki deserves an Oscar for best cinematography.

Winnie The Pooh deserves the Oscar for best animated feature. In my opinion nothing has come close so far.

I believe that margin call should get a nomination for best screenplay and Moneyball should be a lock on best adapted screenplay.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes should get a nod for special effects. They weren't all top of the line, but what the crew did with Caesar set a new standard for believability in character animation and facial expressions.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coakroach

Damn I havent seen any movies this year

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Why_So_Serious

I never saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes so I can't say whether I think it deserves a Special Effects nod or not. I need to check it out I have been wanting to see it.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By monetarydread

@Why_So_Serious said:

I never saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes so I can't say whether I think it deserves a Special Effects nod or not. I need to check it out I have been wanting to see it.

Yeah, the special effects are about the only thing that movie will be nominated for, but it is still a great fucking movie.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I haven't seen too many movies in theaters this year.

I will say the Immortals had some nice visuals but the story was only an excuse for the awesome fight scenes :P (Probably not going to be nominated for anything as it was pretty much a popcorn flick in my opinion).

I want to see Melancholia for sure, Hugo and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

It seems as if I haven't watched as many movies as I first thought D: