Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb
AMAZING
AMAZING
The book that indirectly killed John Lennon. The book that sparked a spew of other copy-cat novels. The book that inspired so many. The book that finds the Holen Caulfield in all of us.

Who loves The Catcher In The Rye?

I think for me... the first time I read it - I'd spent my last year at school hating everyone. I hated this thing which I couldn't put my finger on. This false friendship. Pretentious people. I hated this whole teenage culture. And I pressured my girlfriend into seeing what a hypocrite, two faced person she was. In the end I think I tried to change her too much... needless to say we didn't last longer than a year but shortly after we broke up I read the Catcher In The Rye.

And I got it at last. I had an outlet to explain why I hated so many people. It wasn't like I was on my own anymore. It was like someone finally got me.

It's funny - I'm so lonely these days... with all my friends at university and stuff I sometimes wish I never grew up.

You have to have a fake personality to survive in this world. The moment you open your eyes and see people for what they are you become very lonely.
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

I LOVED that book. Oh man that was a great book imo. It's the only book that I was assigned to read at school and read twice. After I was done I reccomended it to all of my friends. But it did make me feel weird that my favorite book is usually the favorite book of most serial killer. Hmm...must have good taste...

Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Mattzz10

Its a good book, I like how the author is able to capture the mind of a student so perfectly.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By get2sammyb
Fr0Br0 said:
"I LOVED that book. Oh man that was a great book imo. It's the only book that I was assigned to read at school and read twice. After I was done I reccomended it to all of my friends. But it did make me feel weird that my favorite book is usually the favorite book of most serial killer. Hmm...must have good taste..."
I think it explains a lot about why murderers do what they do. I'm not condoning it. I'm just saying. If I had a lack of morals and felt more extremely than I already do... if I was unstable enough I would probably kill someone.
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By fr0br0
get2sammyb said:
"Fr0Br0 said:
"I LOVED that book. Oh man that was a great book imo. It's the only book that I was assigned to read at school and read twice. After I was done I reccomended it to all of my friends. But it did make me feel weird that my favorite book is usually the favorite book of most serial killer. Hmm...must have good taste..."
I think it explains a lot about why murderers do what they do. I'm not condoning it. I'm just saying. If I had a lack of morals and felt more extremely than I already do... if I was unstable enough I would probably kill someone."
Yeah I think it was a mistake giving the book to one of my friends who was already in therapy. Now he is a damn near alcoholic and is suicidal...

I'm not even joking.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By get2sammyb
Fr0Br0 said:
"get2sammyb said:
"Fr0Br0 said:
I think it explains a lot about why murderers do what they do. I'm not condoning it. I'm just saying. If I had a lack of morals and felt more extremely than I already do... if I was unstable enough I would probably kill someone."
Yeah I think it was a mistake giving the book to one of my friends who was already in therapy. Now he is a damn near alcoholic and is suicidal...

I'm not even joking."
It fails to amaze me how powerful this book is.

I'm sure you have no doubt the book being a strong influence in his condition worsening?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

Probably the most boring book i've ever read from start to finish and kinda made me realise books aren't the cultural peak Newsnight Review would have you believe.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By DualReaver

I've never even heard of this before. I am definitely going to check it out now, although for some reason I can see a book like this making me very teary-eyed.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Meowayne

Sounds like a book I shouldn't read.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
DualReaver said:
"I've never even heard of this before. I am definitely going to check it out now, although for some reason I can see a book like this making me very teary-eyed."
It won't make you teary-eyed. It will make you look at people differently.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
DualReaver said:
"I've never even heard of this before. I am definitely going to check it out now, although for some reason I can see a book like this making me very teary-eyed."
It's basically a 1950s MySpace blog.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By get2sammyb
HandsomeDead said:
"DualReaver said:
It's basically a 1950s MySpace blog."
It's a good way of describing it but without meaning to sound pretentious it's a lot deeper than that. MySpace kiddies blogs tend to try to be deep - and that what this book deals with.

So in a sense - while a good way of describing it is a 1950's MySpace blog... that's actually what it attacks.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DualReaver
get2sammyb said:
"DualReaver said:
It won't make you teary-eyed. It will make you look at people differently."
I'm not sure it just sounds likes book is going to describe the realizations I've come to in the last year. At least with the impression I get from your and other people's comments. I read a little bit I am very surprised in what the protagonist looks like, I expected more emo. I know it's set in the 1950s but I expected him to look emo.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Demyx

I'll probably be reading it this year in my Lit class. I've heard good things.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By get2sammyb
DualReaver said:
"get2sammyb said:
"DualReaver said:
It won't make you teary-eyed. It will make you look at people differently."
I'm not sure it just sounds likes book is going to describe the realizations I've come to in the last year. At least with the impression I get from your and other people's comments. I read a little bit I am very surprised in what the protagonist looks like, I expected more emo. I know it's set in the 1950s but I expected him to look emo."
a) It's the 1950's.
b) If you think this book is emo you don't get it because it's that kinda superficial trend it attacks.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DualReaver

I never said the book was emo? I meant I didn't expect the main character to be a crew cut preppy kid. I know it's all set in the 1950's but it seems odd.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By get2sammyb
DualReaver said:
"I never said the book was emo? I meant I didn't expect the main character to be a crew cut preppy kid. I know it's all set in the 1950's but it seems odd."
Read it and you'll get it.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DualReaver

I am reading it. I was just saying I found that bit surprising although I know I should not have and you act like I'm attacking the book.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb

It's a terrible book. It comes off as the incoherent ramblings of an uneducated teenager (severely lacking IQ points,) with no rhyme or reason whatsoever. I am a teenager and I go through rough shit too. I also hate conformity, but this kid is just nuts. He repeats the same lines over and over, is outrageously insecure (not the problem) and compensates for it in really odd ways (the problem.)

Moreover, the book isn't fun to read. It is just plain boring.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HandsomeDead
get2sammyb said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"DualReaver said:
It's basically a 1950s MySpace blog."
It's a good way of describing it but without meaning to sound pretentious it's a lot deeper than that. MySpace kiddies blogs tend to try to be deep - and that what this book deals with.

So in a sense - while a good way of describing it is a 1950's MySpace blog... that's actually what it attacks."
Thing is, that's exactly how I saw it. It's just a cynical look on life and there is very little depth in that when it's done like Catcher in the Rye and yet it acts as if it's some startling revelation on society. It reminds me of 2001: A Space Odyssey where at the time it was probably ground breaking but now, it's been bettered and is totally boring.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DualReaver

I've read about 30 pages so far. Please, please, please tell me it gets better than this?

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By ltcoljaxson
DualReaver said:
"I've read about 30 pages so far. Please, please, please tell me it gets better than this?"
Back away from the computer when you are reading so there is no distractions.

It's a good book, you just need to pay attention.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BiggerBomb
DualReaver said:
"I've read about 30 pages so far. Please, please, please tell me it gets better than this?"

No, it does not.

LtColJaxson said:
"DualReaver said:

It's a good book, you just need to pay attention."

Paying attention has nothing to do with it. I'm in an AP Language/Composition class and we analyze some hardcore literature on a daily basis, The Catcher in the Rye is not a skilfully written piece by any means. But if you enjoy it, good for you. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DualReaver

I've read almost half of it now, and I think I'm done. I got the point of the novel from the first few chapters and I am tired of listening to this asshole rant.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiggerBomb

*skillfully

Irony + 1

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BiggerBomb
DualReaver said:
"I've read almost half of it now, and I think I'm done. I got the point of the novel from the first few chapters and I am tired of listening to this asshole rant."

Is it for school?
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DualReaver

Nah, I just read the OP and the first few comments and was interested in the book's main idea/theme.
But it's just a childish hypocritical asshole ranting. Unless this book gets dramatically better in the second half, I think I'm done with it.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiggerBomb
DualReaver said:
"Nah, I just read the OP and the first few comments and was interested in the book's main idea/theme.
But it's just a childish hypocritical asshole ranting. Unless this book gets dramatically better in the second half, I think I'm done with it."

Underlined: Yes, it is.

Italicized: No, it doesn't.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kmdrkul
DualReaver said:
It really doesn't.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jayge_

I hated the book. This dude seems like an incredibly stupid (and I mean offensively stupid) version of me. I spent the entire time reading it going "no, do *this* you fuck. Worthless. You're worthless." >.>

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I related a lot to Holden last year.

Those were dark, dark times..

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DualReaver

I expected the book to be written in a similar style as Lord of the Flies except from a first person perspective. Touching on its theme in a far less obnoxious way.
Instead of just "Hey! Look at this guy be an asshole! See what I mean about hypocrisy and conformity? Huh? Do yuh! Now do you!? See it yet?"

The whole time I pictured the Protagonist as Jayge.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BiggerBomb
DualReaver said:
"I expected the book to be written in a similar style as Lord of the Flies except from a first person perspective. Touching on its theme in a far less obnoxious way.
Instead of just "Hey! Look at this guy be an asshole! See what I mean about hypocrisy and conformity? Huh? Do yuh! Now do you!? See it yet?"

The whole time I pictured the Protagonist as Jayge."

Can you tell me why you thought to draw a correlation between Lord of the Flies and The Catcher in the Rye? And lay off Jayge.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jayge_
BiggerBomb said:
"DualReaver said:
"I expected the book to be written in a similar style as Lord of the Flies except from a first person perspective. Touching on its theme in a far less obnoxious way.

The whole time I pictured the Protagonist as Jayge."

Can you tell me why you thought to draw a correlation between Lord of the Flies and The Catcher in the Rye? And lay off Jayge."
It's ok he's my bunk-buddy.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DualReaver

I linked them because of Lord of the Flies' examination of human nature and what happens with the absence of civilization to tell them what to do. Roger is a good example of that. I imagined this book would examine human nature in a similar way from a first person perspective and show how being in society skews ours actions. Which in a way it does, I just don't think it's delivered in a meaningful way going back to the it's just an immature child ranting. Or something like that.

I'm kind of sick and tired at the moment, so I'm sorry about how little sense that probably makes. I can't think very straight at the moment.

Also, I'm just playing with Jayge. He's a buddy of mine.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BiggerBomb
DualReaver said:
"I linked them because of Lord of the Flies' examination of human nature and what happens with the absence of civilization to tell them what to do. Roger is a good example of that. I imagined this book would examine human nature in a similar way from a first person perspective and show how being in society skews ours actions. Which in a way it does, I just don't think it's delivered in a meaningful way going back to the it's just an immature child ranting. Or something like that.

I'm kind of sick and tired at the moment, so I'm sorry about how little sense that probably makes. I can't think very straight at the moment.

Also, I'm just playing with Jayge. He's a buddy of mine."

k i dont undrstand wut u meen but k lol u no?
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DualReaver

I'm sorry. I'll try to explain myself better tomorrow. I'm too out of it right now. >_<

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DualReaver

How about this.

They're both stories about human nature. I guess and I just expected this book to be told in a more analytical way from the protagonist.

Edit:

Know what? Fuck it.
There's a correlation because my fucking t-table says so.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Emilio

I love this book and I will make it into a movie: Fact.
I care what you think on this matter: False.

Buahahahahahaha

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Ish

It captures teenage angst very well. I think it was the first book of it's kind, that's why it garners so much attention. You have to realize... this was the 1950's. This was before the hippy culture and sexual revolution of the 60s. This was a time before materialism was addressed in America.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BiggerBomb said:
"DualReaver said:

No, it does not.

LtColJaxson said:
"DualReaver said:

It's a good book, you just need to pay attention."

Paying attention has nothing to do with it. I'm in an AP Language/Composition class and we analyze some hardcore literature on a daily basis, The Catcher in the Rye is not a skilfully written piece by any means. But if you enjoy it, good for you. One man's trash is another man's treasure."
It's called Modernism, dude.  People like Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, even as far back as William Faulkner. 

Salinger is intentionally distorting the narrative for several effects.  Modernism isn't about the flourish of the sentence, like a Victorian writer (a la Joseph Conrad, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville, etc), but it revolves around the reader's involvement--Modernist literature is like a jigsaw puzzle that tampers with temporal chronology and point of view.  The reader has to actively connect the dots, which makes it a more strenuous read. 

The Catcher in the Rye takes a certain devotion, as all books of great worth do.  There will always be the vocal crowd who criticizes it, but that group's criticism ignores the point of the novel in the first place. 
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jayge_

I understand the book fully and still find it to be not worth my time. The same could be said of Nathanial Hawthorne. God, I hate Nathanial Hawthorne.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By get2sammyb

On the topic of The Catcher In The Rye is not a skillfully written piece. It's not meant to be. It wouldn't have half the effect it does if it was written in flowery-prose like you seem to want it to be. That's not a fair criticism at all because the point of the novel is just to be a snapshot of Holden's thoughts... that's mirrored in the ending which just stops. Like literally if I think back to the ending it's like "and that's all you need to know". For me personally that is a breath of fresh air next to all the fancy-flower writing that reads like poetry but has no depth at all.

Of course because it's such an influential book people have to hate on it to look different. I get that.

As for it being like Lord Of The Flies - that book is a commentary on what will happen to man when you take away rules, law and order. The result is the boys turning into savages.

Catcher In The Rye is just a snapshot look at how false peoples personalities are. It's a look at how the world works and the people in it. If you can't relate to it then I don't think you've got to that point in your life where you realise people aren't what they seem yet.

And Dual_Reaver you must have been skim reading to get that far into it.

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Giantkitty

I liked it because it was somehow honest in its dishonesty. He's sort of like a pre- Cathy Acker.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jayge_
get2sammyb said:
"
Of course because it's such an influential book people have to hate on it to look different. I get that.

"
What are you, a Halo defender? People can't dislike the book simply because it's not the type of literature they enjoy?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jayge said:
"I understand the book fully and still find it to be not worth my time. The same could be said of Nathanial Hawthorne. God, I hate Nathanial Hawthorne."
Understand it fully?  That's a bit pretentious.  There is an infinitesimal number of interpretations of any given piece of artwork.

This is sort of like the argument against GTA IV.  People's opinions of enjoyability are going to differ radically, that's inevitable.  The ambition of the novel is still present, however.  No matter how much you hate The Catcher in the Rye or Nathaniel Hawthorne, there is still reason to believe the novel/author is attempting to achieve something greater than the value of the writing's surface parts. 
Fax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fax

I actually got that book from the Library yesterday I'm only on the 2nd chapter.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Shit. Those words just activated me!

Must. Kill. Important. Political. Official.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lind_L_Taylor said:
"Shit. Those words just activated me!

Must. Kill. Important. Political. Official.
"
We've got a regular Mel Gibson on our hands, people.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheGreatGuero

This is one of my favorite books. I'm actually quite the critic when it comes to books and I almost always disagree with the direction books go in and would have done things differently if I had wrote it myself. This book, however, I don't know, there's a certain humor and authenticity to it that I really appreciate. It's an enjoyable read. It's a book I can sit down and pretty much read entirely in one sitting. I think Holden's a very interesting character. Kind of jaded, but all in all, he's a good kid, just trying to make it in the world. I also just really love the dialect in the story. The way Holden talks is amusing to me, and I like his ridiculous attitude.