The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Film Review.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

Edited By biggest_loser

A woman who is on her deathbed in hospital asks her daughter to read to her a diary she has held for many years of her life. The diary details the life of Benjamin Button (Brad Pitt), who was born after the end of the First World War in New Orleans. Given that he was born old and looked horribly deformed, he was abandoned on the doorsteps of a nursing home by his father and his mother died in childbirth. Amongst the elderly residents Benjamin is raised in the home by an African American woman named Queenie (Taraji P. Henson). He also meets a range of colourful fairytale-like characters throughout the adventures and episodes of his life. One of the most significant relationships Benjamin develops is with a ballet dancer, Daisy (Cate Blanchett), who met Benjamin in her youth. Their relationship develops late in the film as he finds her living in New York, as she grows older, but he becomes gradually younger.

Despite being based on a short story written by F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1921, it is difficult to view The Curious Case of Benjamin Button without reminiscing films like Forrest Gump and Big Fish. Each of these films presented a fable-like story of an innocent character whose journey through life is filled with unusual and sometimes dangerous adventures, which allowed them to reflect on their existence in the world, as they met a range of unusual characters, most importantly a woman who forms a significant and emotional part of their lives. While Forrest Gump relegated itself to both satire and sentimentality, Benjamin Button, despite an air of familiarity (the screenplay was written by Eric Roth who also composed the script for Forrest Gump), is a much intelligent and complex variant on the fantasy genre, because of the questions its raises about age, time and death.

Unlike Forrest Gump and Big Fish though, there is considerably less time is spent with many of the strange oddball characters that Benjamin meets in his life. Those that Button meets are fun – like a brittle English woman in a hotel, a tugboat sailor covered in tattoos, or a small Blackman who lived in a zoo - but they are never as defined or as particularly well known as in those previous two films. Yet this is precisely the point and one of the key themes in the film, that nature and the unpredictable course of life will always ensure that people can come and go from one’s life and have significant or little impact or who they become.

These notions are further emphasised by a number of anecdotes and red herring’s throughout the film, like the man who insists he has been struck by lightning seven times. With each recollection of this, the film cuts to grainy, silent footage where we see him struck by lightning. While indeed humorous, perhaps this is a more significant amplification and reinforcement of the theme of nature and time and the way that it can interfere with one’s life. No matter what one chooses to do or who they meet, or where they go, there are always going to be factors that are out of our control and will impact on one’s life. These anecdotes and the way they construct the ideas of time and age reinforce the fairytale-like qualities of the film and contribute a brand of sweetness that allows it to be both fun to watch and also academic in the questions it raises.

The centrepiece of the film is a very strong performance by Brad Pitt, who is aided immeasurably by excellent makeup to play both the elderly Benjamin and the younger man too. As he grows younger it becomes a more still performance, one that isn’t particularly showy, but one that is just very likeable. His narration – despite its familiarity – is poignant throughout the film and really captures the feel that we are being read a story – perhaps a compliment to Fitzgerald’s short story. Tilda Swinton has a fairly brief role as a brittle Englishman in Russia, while Blanchett has a much larger part as the older Daisy – but both women are very competent in their roles, looking eerily similar at times.

The final third of the film gives much more time to Blanchett’s character and the relationship between herself and Button. As they move into their duplex together and talk about having a child the fairytale fable elements of the rest of the film seem very distant, as though the film is almost grounded in a brand of realism at last. It is this final third of the film that really feels overlong and tends at times though.

At approximately 160 minutes you really begin to feel the time. Yet it is still a very beautiful film to watch though, as director David Fincher has crafted a film that is very handsomely made, with particular care being placed in the art direction and set designs – the tug boat scenes are particularly impressive. There are familiar elements with the film and it is imperfect, but there are so things to enjoy about it and much to question that remains a very watchable and likeable film to enjoy. 

4/5.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By biggest_loser

A woman who is on her deathbed in hospital asks her daughter to read to her a diary she has held for many years of her life. The diary details the life of Benjamin Button (Brad Pitt), who was born after the end of the First World War in New Orleans. Given that he was born old and looked horribly deformed, he was abandoned on the doorsteps of a nursing home by his father and his mother died in childbirth. Amongst the elderly residents Benjamin is raised in the home by an African American woman named Queenie (Taraji P. Henson). He also meets a range of colourful fairytale-like characters throughout the adventures and episodes of his life. One of the most significant relationships Benjamin develops is with a ballet dancer, Daisy (Cate Blanchett), who met Benjamin in her youth. Their relationship develops late in the film as he finds her living in New York, as she grows older, but he becomes gradually younger.

Despite being based on a short story written by F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1921, it is difficult to view The Curious Case of Benjamin Button without reminiscing films like Forrest Gump and Big Fish. Each of these films presented a fable-like story of an innocent character whose journey through life is filled with unusual and sometimes dangerous adventures, which allowed them to reflect on their existence in the world, as they met a range of unusual characters, most importantly a woman who forms a significant and emotional part of their lives. While Forrest Gump relegated itself to both satire and sentimentality, Benjamin Button, despite an air of familiarity (the screenplay was written by Eric Roth who also composed the script for Forrest Gump), is a much intelligent and complex variant on the fantasy genre, because of the questions its raises about age, time and death.

Unlike Forrest Gump and Big Fish though, there is considerably less time is spent with many of the strange oddball characters that Benjamin meets in his life. Those that Button meets are fun – like a brittle English woman in a hotel, a tugboat sailor covered in tattoos, or a small Blackman who lived in a zoo - but they are never as defined or as particularly well known as in those previous two films. Yet this is precisely the point and one of the key themes in the film, that nature and the unpredictable course of life will always ensure that people can come and go from one’s life and have significant or little impact or who they become.

These notions are further emphasised by a number of anecdotes and red herring’s throughout the film, like the man who insists he has been struck by lightning seven times. With each recollection of this, the film cuts to grainy, silent footage where we see him struck by lightning. While indeed humorous, perhaps this is a more significant amplification and reinforcement of the theme of nature and time and the way that it can interfere with one’s life. No matter what one chooses to do or who they meet, or where they go, there are always going to be factors that are out of our control and will impact on one’s life. These anecdotes and the way they construct the ideas of time and age reinforce the fairytale-like qualities of the film and contribute a brand of sweetness that allows it to be both fun to watch and also academic in the questions it raises.

The centrepiece of the film is a very strong performance by Brad Pitt, who is aided immeasurably by excellent makeup to play both the elderly Benjamin and the younger man too. As he grows younger it becomes a more still performance, one that isn’t particularly showy, but one that is just very likeable. His narration – despite its familiarity – is poignant throughout the film and really captures the feel that we are being read a story – perhaps a compliment to Fitzgerald’s short story. Tilda Swinton has a fairly brief role as a brittle Englishman in Russia, while Blanchett has a much larger part as the older Daisy – but both women are very competent in their roles, looking eerily similar at times.

The final third of the film gives much more time to Blanchett’s character and the relationship between herself and Button. As they move into their duplex together and talk about having a child the fairytale fable elements of the rest of the film seem very distant, as though the film is almost grounded in a brand of realism at last. It is this final third of the film that really feels overlong and tends at times though.

At approximately 160 minutes you really begin to feel the time. Yet it is still a very beautiful film to watch though, as director David Fincher has crafted a film that is very handsomely made, with particular care being placed in the art direction and set designs – the tug boat scenes are particularly impressive. There are familiar elements with the film and it is imperfect, but there are so things to enjoy about it and much to question that remains a very watchable and likeable film to enjoy. 

4/5.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

This was a great film. Not perfect (it borrowed too much from Forrest Gump), but it was perhaps my favorite film of the year.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#3  Edited By citizenkane

I just saw it earlier tonight.  It was absolutely amazing.  One of the best films I have seen in a while.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us

I have heard good things about this movie. But to be honest I just havent felt compelled to watch it which probably has at lot to do with the fact that I don't like Brad Pitt in the movies.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar

Actually, while it was a great film and all, did anyone feel that it was too long to you? I felt it either could have been shorter or could use an actual intermission or some sort of break of some kind.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RetroIce4

I want to see it but, I am not sure yet.

Avatar image for worldsfastestshrimppeeler
WorldsFastestShrimpPeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a very good film. outstanding.
Great Review BL.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

It was better when it was just Pilkington's laughed at idea. I don't give a fuck about FItzgerald, his ridiculous idea, or this shitty movie. Until Pilkington gave it motion it wasn't much.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Rowr

Gayest plot ever.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By bwooduhs

This was a great movie.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By biggest_loser
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"It was better when it was just Pilkington's laughed at idea. I don't give a fuck about FItzgerald, his ridiculous idea, or this shitty movie. Until Pilkington gave it motion it wasn't much."
Rowr said:
"Gayest plot ever."
Grow up.
Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Steven

I was skeptical about this movie, but the parts I thought would be bad ended up being really great.  I thought the beginning of the movie was radical, but it fades hard, and there ended up being quite a bit I disliked about it.  It had a ton of amazing parts though, definitely worth seeing.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24
StaticFalconar said:
"Actually, while it was a great film and all, did anyone feel that it was too long to you? I felt it either could have been shorter or could use an actual intermission or some sort of break of some kind."
Well, the movie was very similar in my mind to Forrest Gump (well the screenwriter was the same).  It chronicles the life of one man through many years, and wants to make you feel like you are alongside all the way (like Forrest Gump, and also like Shawshank Redemption).  I thought the length was fine, though I am used to long "epic" movies like these.