The Death of a Beard

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Edited By jaqen_hghar

The past seven years my face has been adorned by various stages of facial hair. I have liked it, and want to have a big nice beard with streaks of gray. But maintaining and shaping a beard you have just let grow can be a pain in the ass, so I have had in mind of shaving it off to start from scratch for a while now. And when my girlfriend of four years decides she needs a break, and ends up moving out, I feel the need to change. Just to do something I normally wouldn't. So yesterday I shaved it all off. Not content with that I tried different styles as I removed it.

I make this blog because I know there are beard-people here. And to show how different you can look when the facial hair is or isn't there. It is strange for me as well, as I cannot recognize the person I see in the mirror. I am 24 now, and have of course aged and matured after I started the growth of facial hair. Thus the face I now see is more of an adult, than the teenager I was when I last looked at my clean-shaven self.

Anyway, here are the images. Enjoy.

(I just cannot seem to get the hang of adding images with the editor, so here is a link to the gallery. Some of the images are in the wrong order, but you get the idea)

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jaqen_hghar

The past seven years my face has been adorned by various stages of facial hair. I have liked it, and want to have a big nice beard with streaks of gray. But maintaining and shaping a beard you have just let grow can be a pain in the ass, so I have had in mind of shaving it off to start from scratch for a while now. And when my girlfriend of four years decides she needs a break, and ends up moving out, I feel the need to change. Just to do something I normally wouldn't. So yesterday I shaved it all off. Not content with that I tried different styles as I removed it.

I make this blog because I know there are beard-people here. And to show how different you can look when the facial hair is or isn't there. It is strange for me as well, as I cannot recognize the person I see in the mirror. I am 24 now, and have of course aged and matured after I started the growth of facial hair. Thus the face I now see is more of an adult, than the teenager I was when I last looked at my clean-shaven self.

Anyway, here are the images. Enjoy.

(I just cannot seem to get the hang of adding images with the editor, so here is a link to the gallery. Some of the images are in the wrong order, but you get the idea)

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Oh shit. Looks completely different off.

Avatar image for reptheplantdawg420
RepThePlantDawg420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

the difference is crazy

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Now cut your hair you hippy!

I had my hair long for 10yrs and then had it cut it of a few years back I would never go back to long hair now.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jaqen_hghar

@ThePhantomnaut: @RepThePlantDawg420: Indeed. I am still not sure if I should leave it like this for a while, or try to get the good old beard up and running as soon as possible. It is kinda fun not being me, as it feels weird every time I see my reflection.

@JustKamToo: Hell no! I love having long hair. Had my hair almost shaved all the way to the age of 15, then I figured I could try it the other way. Like having long hair a lot more.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gargantuan

You almost look like a thin Vin Diesel.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ZimboDK

I feel slightly homoerotic for saying this, but you look better without the beard... Right, time to go touch a girl's shoulder.

Also, I have a beard, and look completely ridiculous without it. It's not coming off.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

It's amazing what shaving your beard can do. My beard is almost white and when I shave it I look ten years younger. Speaking of which, I need to trim it up.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

Yay you look a lot better. As JustKamToo said, cut your hair too - I know it took ages to grow, but it's fun letting go. I looked like you a couple of years ago, and honestly; it's just a lot more manageable, easier and generally nicer not being so hairy-headed.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT

Dude. Either all or none. Those other styles look a tad scumbagy.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jaqen_hghar

@Gargantuan: ... Not something I ever expected to hear. Not sure if I agree either. But thanks. I guess?

@ZimboDK: Oooh! Well, I just became single, so... no.

Shave it off and show us the before and after! I did!

@Claude: Yeah, the difference is really big. And damn, I want a white beard like that. Looks awesome.

@BeachThunder: But I liked my beard and I like my hair. I don't have much trouble managing it really. Plus, I cannot afford getting my hair cut right now. But maybe I should try it out soon.

@TheHT: Haha, yeah. That was just for fun since I was shaving it off anyway.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By laserbolts
@Durandir While I do think you look better without it, it is a sad day.
W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Long hair never looks good on a guy.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By BeachThunder
@Durandir said:

@BeachThunder: But I liked my beard and I like my hair. I don't have much trouble managing it really. Plus, I cannot afford getting my hair cut right now. But maybe I should try it out soon.

I know how you feel, but just give it a go :P see what it's like to be clean for a while. You can always start growing everything back if you don't like it.
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By KarlPilkington

@W0lfbl1tzers said:

Gandalf disagrees.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
@Chabbs0 said:

@W0lfbl1tzers said:

Gandalf disagrees.

He's not a guy, He's a fucking wizard. Also, still didn't look good.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Bruce
@Durandir:  

With a short haircut you'd be a fox!
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

Get rid of it all. Grow up.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Claude

Don't listen to these fools. I love my long hair.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gizmo

As a fellow owner of Jesus hair/beard, I am dissapointed in your decision to shave.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CheapPoison

Pretty epic Unbearding you got there.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Choffy

RIP Beard :'(

I love my beard. I'm 18, but haven't shaved in over 15 months, and I love it. Sure I trim it to 1/2" every few weeks, but I don't think I'm ever going to go clean again.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By crusader8463

I think you looked better with the beard personally, but each their own. Sadly I have a baby face when I shave, but even sadder is that I just can't grow a full beard no matter how hard I try. It grows in patches, and the moustache area literally never grows hair for some reason; which means my choice of beard design is extremely limited. So I'm stuck with a nice little 5 o'clock shadow for about a week, but then once it gets long enough that you can grab it, it just turns into pedo beard and I need to shave it.

As for the long hair debate, well I keep it short because I hate the upkeep.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ajamafalous
My girlfriend and I both love my long hair. To each their own.  

@W0lfbl1tzers said:
No Caption Provided
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By luce

Very few can pull off the Jesus look.  

Bravo sir

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Butler
@HandsomeDead: I respect your opinion on your wish for him to cut all of it off. I disagree, but I still value what you have to say. However, telling him to grow up just irks me to no end.
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CaptainObvious

WHAT DID YOU DOOOOOO? :'(

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Butler: We can't all be hippies.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By imsh_pl
@ajamafalous said:
My girlfriend and I both love my long hair. To each their own.  

@W0lfbl1tzers said:
No Caption Provided
Something is awfully wrong with his chest.
hurtfulmadmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hurtfulmadmax

After having foe Patrick Klepek hair for years, its hard to imagine what people go through to maintain (or not) a mane like that.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jaqen_hghar

@HandsomeDead: I am perfectly grown up. Having a beard and long hair doesn't have to mean I try to stay youthful or some crap like that. The fact is, I just like having long hair more than I do short hair. Just who I am. And I am pretty far from a hippie. Putting people in booths like that is not a good quality you know. You should change that.

@Gizmo: Ah, yes. My nickname has been "Jesus" for several years now. No more! But if I don't start to shave I'll be well on my way in a month or so. I have epic hair growth it seems, so I can do stuff like this without it affecting me for very long.

@crusader8463: I think I like me better with a beard myself. I have to say that I hadn't been trimming it for a week on that "full beard" image, so it looks really unkempt. I try to keep it more tidy normally. I am really lucky then, having good genes for growing beards.

I am baffled by the "upkeep comments" on the long hair though. I wash it when I shower, dry it off with a towel and run a hairbrush through it once a day. That's it. I know people with short hair who spends way longer fixing their hair every day than I spend in the shower.