The death of the game rental stores

videogameman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By videogameman

I'm saddened by the downfall of retailers like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster. I've had many good memories there. HV in particular was my main source of VG rentals and Game Crazy my bought games. Anyone else gonna miss those stores?

videogameman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By videogameman

I'm saddened by the downfall of retailers like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster. I've had many good memories there. HV in particular was my main source of VG rentals and Game Crazy my bought games. Anyone else gonna miss those stores?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By NTM

No, I stopped renting games at those places long ago. Plus, there's only one Blockbuster I know of around my house while everything else has been taken out and I'm sure that Blockbuster's going soon as well. I think I stopped renting games (and movies) in general back in 04. Those places are gone 'cause of the movie business anyways, not the games.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Not really.  I haven't rented a game or movie in ages.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Lemoncookie01

The fuck am I going to due with my Gamecrazy membership card it doesn't expire till October.

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deusdigit

I also miss renting games for the most part. but the place i rented them from, closed down a long time ago. My parent works at a video store where i can get them for free, but there's no journey involved on the way to the store :(

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By scarace360

Man i hope gamestop goes next. But that wont happen for a long time.

DrBeardface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrBeardface

If my local stores could get more games to rent in a timely fashion, I would totally rent there.  Why does no one have Fallout 3: GOTY for rent around here?! 

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Coombs

I had a Game Access (like gamefly) account a while ago, 
But other than that I haven't rented a game in about 10 years

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't even buy games at stores anymore. Amazon has made sure of that (Tax free and release date delivery for a dollar, what's not to love about Amazon?). It's just easier since I can't drive and I don't have to wait for the one Wal-Mart employee in the electronics section to show up with a key just to get my copy of Dead Rising 2 out.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShaneDev

I have never rented a game in my life and I stopped trading in games a long time ago since I always wanted to play them again after I got rid of them. 

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheFreeMan

As long as Rogers Video is around, I'll be okay. I rent games practically every weekend.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By FreakAche

I'm always baffled when I see people on the internet dismissing the relevance of video rental stores. In Canada, people frequently visit Blockbuster and Rogers Video, although it might have something to do with the fact that we don't have Hulu, Gamefly, a good iTunes video store, or non-streaming Netflix (Netflix itself is really new up here).

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Vonocourt

The blockbuster by my house is run by a bunch of cocks, so that kind of spoiled any goodwill I had towards that company.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Yes, I will miss them. I used to live really close to a Hollywood Video, and got games from there all the time. When I was younger my grandmother used to rent games for us on occasion too (Sweet deal).

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blackblade500

I use to rent from Movie Gallery, then I got Gamefly. Now I just buy from Walmart

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Skytylz

I still rent dvds from a video store and I think the ones in my area are doing alright.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cnlmullen

I'm not too nostalgic because systems like Steam are so much more convenient than having to deal with physical media. It's the same reason I wasn't crushed when Newegg pwned CompUSA.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By paradox121

Renting was the underpining of my childhood so it is a shame. Not sure whether its dying over here (UK) too but...
Im surprised XBL havent jumped on the hole in the market and started a rental service seperate from demos and what not. Im sure theyd make a decent amount. Charge a certain amount for say...3 hours of gameplay (or less if its a short game), delete their copy after its done, put up a tonne of ads about buying the full copy. Could be profitable. If not hghly piratable.

danpat177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By danpat177

i live in scotland and we still have  Blockbuster running strong and we also have major places like hmv and game all doing amazingly well 
if it only a british thing there still surving so well ? 

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Sambambo

I dont care in the slightest. Getting games delivered with no late fees is way better.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

i'm going to kind of miss them. sometimes it was good to rent games. i haven't done it in a while. the problem is that they barely had any new games on the release. i would have to wait like a month for a new game to be available.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NathHaw

I'll miss Game Crazy.  I use Gamefly for rentals.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23  Edited By Raven10

Gamefly > Blockbuster
Netflix > Blockbuster

So no.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By crusader8463

Nope. I have not been to one in over a decade. I went in to one a few years back, for old times sake, and realized that there was nothing there that I hadn't already played or had no interest in playing. When you were a kid you could find games you never heard of, but in this day and age, with all the websites out there, you know every game that is going to get made years in advance so it's next to impossible to find something special anymore.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ch13696
@scarace360 said:
" Man i hope gamestop goes next. But that wont happen for a long time. "
If that were the case, then where will I get my used games? Besides Amazon and eBay because most of time I like to get off of my ass and drive somewhere.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ch13696

I welcome all physical stores. Due to the fact that the internet is turning us into lazy people. That means I should get off of here and talk to some real people.