The "filmmakers" behind The Sarkeesian Effect have broken up

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Slang_N_Bang

http://badassdigest.com/2015/03/03/davis-aurini-fired-from-serious-investigative-documentary-the-sarkeesian-ef/

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Cinephiles everywhere have been following the production of The Sarkeesian Effect, a work of serious investigative journalism that we first mentioned back in August. Spearheaded by skull fancier Davis Aurini and bathrobe couture pioneer Jordan Owen, it seeks to expose the corruption and collusion of Social Justice Warriors like Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn, including but not limited to their reckless squandering of crowdfunded money.

There are no such worries to be had with The Sarkeesian Effect, a project that has received approximately $8,000 a month for seven months. That’s the message communicated by producer Owen this morning in a characteristically professional video blog, even as he relayed troubling behind-the-scenes issues with the production.

In the video, actual human emotion almost penetrates the world-weary producer’s stoic facade as he describes his decision to “terminate [his] working relationship with Davis Aurini”. According to Owen, Aurini will cease active work on The Sarkeesian Effect and post-production will be handled by Owen and a team of experts in Atlanta. Owen’s reasons for the split are unclear, but what is clear is the passion that Aurini has for the project. Such is his passion that he delivered Owen an ultimatum with three potential courses of action:

1. Pay Aurini “his regular salary” and carry on as normal;
  2. Pay Aurini half the film’s budget to walk away;
  3. Pay Aurini nothing and have him go public that Owen is absconding with the budget.

It seems as though Option Three was taken: in a blog post (the URL of which features the words “abscond” and “budget”), Aurini hit back with some highly charged language. He goes on a lengthy rant about Owen, whose “irrational jealousy of [pick-up artist, M R A, and “love tourist”] Roosh, and any man who’s able to relate to women easily” led to a “panic attack that got him kicked off of an airplane”, and to his firing of “me - the only man who knows how to edit all this footage into something useful”. Continuing his humble streak, he asks “that you continue to support [him] and cancel your financial support to Mister Owen.”

Some might call all of this blackmail, but in the real world, it’s just aggressive bookkeeping. And if Owen and Aurini live anywhere, it’s definitely the real world. The fact that the pair apparently signed no contracts with each other - thus necessitating a public stoush over funds and responsibilities - is of little concern. Anyone who could put together such a well-intentioned and professional production is clearly worthy of investor trust. Some backers have donated hundreds of dollars per month to these truth-seeking purveyors of cinematic art - you don’t do that unless they have a proven cinematic track record.

Fans shouldn’t fret about this development. The Sarkeesian Effect will be completed. All that’s left to do is “the editing, the animations, and possibly a bit of fact-checking” - which any filmmaker knows are minor and even unimportant elements of the documentary process. Time and time again Owen and Aurini have demonstrated themselves to be upstanding citizens with truth on their side. They’ve even included actual women in their film, proving conclusively that they are definitely not misogynists.

Hopefully this schism means the duo’s legions of screaming fans will be able to see two different cuts of the film: a rough and wild Producer’s Cut, for bathtime entertainment, and a more refined, svelte Director’s Cut, to be savoured over a cigarette and a glass of Glenfiddich. One thing’s for sure: unlike Anita Sarkeesian’s videos, which stoop to such lows as being “completed”, “viewable”, and “financially transparent”, The Sarkeesian Effect will be a crowdfunded project that truly delivers.

Also: ethics.

This was absolutely the best possible outcome for this "documentary", I guess good things do happen sometimes.

In case you didn't know these two dirtbags, the bald creep is best known for being a bigot, for making a video about his immense hatred for black people, the bathtub creep is best known for being a bigot and for ranting and reciting shitty poetry about his hatred/Ayn Rand while laying naked in a bathtub, and also for making a flash game where you beat up Anita Sarkeesian.(it's about ethics)

Yep, radical politicizers of an extreme non-left and non-center variety don't think of Patreon as a joke and a form of "welfare" anymore, it's a celebrated and easily exploitable tool to suck money from people who.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ford_Dent

Ahahahahaha oh man this is... this is pretty hilarious--and probably the best example of irony I've seen in a long time.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I just don't understand how these people actually exist

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

What a jolly bunch. I wonder if I can extort money from wild strangers claiming to cover ethics in gaming as well.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I guess the Disturbed singer had to do something after nu-metal stopped being cool.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

Hey, hey, hey...I read Atlas Shrugged when I was 13*. Don't lump me in with these asshats!

*When I say I read the book, I mean I read the book and moved on with my life. Besides, The Fountainhead was way better.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By joshwent

Can't flag this thread enough. I'm glad for you that the dumb movie that you didn't want made isn't getting made, but this kind of blanket vitriolic stereotyping has no place on Giant Bomb.

OP, whatever you think about these people, you've gloriously succeeded in sinking to their level.

(also, not that it'll matter at all, but Libertarians aren't "right wing")

rcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

OMG these pictures are amazing.

SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In case you didn't know these two dirtbags, the bald creep is best known for being a bigot, a devout libertarian and for making a video about his immense hatred for black people, the bathtub creep is best known for being a bigot, a devout libertarian and for ranting and reciting shitty poetry about his hatred/Ayn Rand while laying naked in a bathtub,

Please don't make more threads.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@secondpersonshooter: When you criticise someone for their hatred and ignorance, by using hatred and ignorance, you've instantly become that which you oppose.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By imsh_pl

@slang_n_bang said:

@imsh_pl: I'm sorry you put money into this thing.

Thanks for proving my point.

EDIT: Also, good job on deleting your replies. Real classy.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I didn't know being a Libertarian could be so negative on on a list with bigotry. I'd self identify as one. Thanks man. Maybe do some research before you attack Libertarians.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

This thread is probably going to be a garbage heap in about 20 minutes, because anything related to this topic invariably devolves into personal attacks, but like.

Good. This is good news.

SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being criticized for being libertarian is nowhere near the level of being criticized for being a woman. I take it all you upset are rational enough people but even you have to admit that there are a lot of crazy people out there with the "libertarian" label that tend to tarnish it's reputation a bit, still, I see OPs comments as a little ill-advised but nothing to flag the post for

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Delicious.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thatpinguino

@artisanbreads: I would say the attack part was more on the other stuff than the Libertarian part.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent: Sometimes you have to state the truth, how ugly that might be. I have nothing in particular against these people but even being accused of racism raises an eyebrow. There are a lot of people claiming to do investigative journalism in the guise of ethics in journalism. Why Anita and not better cases like the Media and Gaming Awards in the UK? Why not investigate our Doritos Pope?

Why do peope have to investigate Anita as a person and not some actual scandelous breach in journalism ethics?

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw:

Besides, she's not even a journalist, which makes it even weirder.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@slang_n_bang: Libertarian has zero to do with bigotry. Like I said, do research if you're confused about it. It doesn't mean you read Rand or any of that either.

I'm not feeling personally attacked but in this day and age painting someone who values personal liberty in with bigotry is sad and I'm tired of running into it. By putting it in that list that's exactly what's going on. If I see it I'm calling it out because I'm tired of it.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chrissedoff

These two guys are as Internet as it gets.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is some of the most ironic news that I've seen in a good long time. "Filmmakers attempting to 'expose' a crowd-funding 'fraud' for not delivering expected content run away with crowd-funding without delivering expected content"

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By conmulligan

@trulyalive said:

*When I say I read the book, I mean I read the book and moved on with my life. Besides, The Fountainhead was way better.

Yeah, I thought The Fountainhead was kind of alright, apart from all the rapey stuff. Atlas Shrugged is complete dog shit though, so I'm always surprised when people treat it as an ideological manifesto.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@joshwent said:

Can't flag this thread enough. I'm glad for you that the dumb movie that you didn't want made isn't getting made, but this kind of blanket vitriolic stereotyping has no place on Giant Bomb.

OP, whatever you think about these people, you've gloriously succeeded in sinking to their level.

(also, not that it'll matter at all, but Libertarians aren't "right wing")

Say some stuff. Then trash libertarians w/your own 'agenda'. So tired..........So-so tired! A lot of trolling lately. Oh and then do a comparison of who gets it worse. The icing.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By zombie2011

The lead singer of Disturbed is a Libertarian?

Also i don't think OP knows what Libertarianism is, probably just read some biased summary of it and decided he was now an expert.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By turboman

Can we please as a society get past GG/anti-GG/Sarkeesian/anti-Sarkeesian? Both sides are just as obnoxious as the other side. It's getting tiresome.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I take it all you upset are rational enough people but even you have to admit that there are a lot of crazy people out there with the "libertarian" label that tend to tarnish it's reputation a bit...

There absolutely are, but nowhere near as many as there are people with other political ideals that relentlessly and ignorantly smear Libertarianism. To folks like the OP, it's clear that "Libertarian" is someone who concretely wants to destroy planned parenthood, stomp out welfare, sell schools to the highest bidder, and basically make life miserable for anyone who's not a wealthy straight white male. Although, of course, none of those things are really true.

Aside from the fact that "Libertarian" could much more readily signify someone who wants to decriminalize all drugs and drug related non violent crimes, thus hugely impacting the atrocious racial profiling that has lead to about 1 in 6 black men being in jail. Or maybe immediately making same-sex marriage Federally binding, and insisting that all benefits of all laws must be applied evenly to all citizens, no matter who they happen to love. Or even making our borders as open as possible, to help curtail the destruction of families when innocent people are randomly deported, or worse, subjected to abuse and rape as detainees while their fates are decided

Basically, the OP dislikes these folk's ignorance. And revels in their failure by adding their own thick flavor of ignorance to the discussion. It's purely destructive, and shouldn't be on this site.

(BTW, to be clear, I'm not a Libertarian. For whatever that's worth.)

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Slang_N_Bang

@zombie2011: Yes, and he's also a staunch GGer, forming one half of the famous "Fabulous Washed-Up Celebrity GGers" alongside Adam Baldwin.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

This is some of the most ironic news that I've seen in a good long time. "Filmmakers attempting to 'expose' a crowd-funding 'fraud' for not delivering expected content run away with crowd-funding without delivering expected content"

Loading Video...

Pretty much a good recap of events up till now. For the record, I don't have an 'agenda'. I'm against harrassment.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People still care about this at all? Huh.

Great post OP, I'm sure this will lead to productive discussion.

@turboman said:

Can we please as a society get past GG/anti-GG/Sarkeesian/anti-Sarkeesian? Both sides are just as obnoxious as the other side. It's getting tiresome.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

Bullshit like this is why I stick to the wrestling thread, and Dan/Drew comments.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

Aside from the fact that "Libertarian" could much more readily signify someone who wants to decriminalize all drugs and drug related non violent crimes, thus hugely impacting the atrocious racial profiling that has lead to about 1 in 6 black men being in jail. Or maybe immediately making same-sex marriage Federally binding, and insisting that all benefits of all laws must be applied evenly to all citizens, no matter who they happen to love. Or even making our borders as open as possible, to help curtail the destruction of families when innocent people are randomly deported, or worse, subjected to abuse and rape as detainees while their fates are decided

Basically, the OP dislikes these folk's ignorance. And revels in their failure by adding their own thick flavor of ignorance to the discussion. It's purely destructive, and shouldn't be on this site.

(BTW, to be clear, I'm not a Libertarian. For whatever that's worth.)

Well as I said before I would say I am in many senses and I appreciate what you're saying.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By chrissedoff

It seems like the OP has edited out his/her reference to these guys being libertarians, so there's no need to go nuts.

If you're wondering why some people don't cotton to self-identified libertarians, maybe start with looking at how you guys are ready to throw down over the proper definition of libertarianism whenever the word is mentioned in just about any context.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Are we sure these guys are real?... And this isnt just some bizarre form of performance art?

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: This is pretty much forever now. If you say anything bad about Sarkeesian you're a misogynistic 30 year old white man who doesn't want his toys taken away. Say anything good about women in the industry or their games and you're a man hating SJW who is destroying video games. There will never be this mythical "discussion" people say can't happen because there was barely a discussion to begin with. This whole thing was always two sides calling each other names because the other person didn't agree with them, but then some dumb 13 year olds had to be dumb 13 year olds and the whole thing blew up into this. I want it to stop too, but like a children's argument if you are the first to stop yelling it means you've lost.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another victory for us freedom loving gamers™ huh!

I can't wait for the next bandwagon - I really hope its about the corn crops of America or if the moon landing was really real.

Epic thread OP :^)

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By joshwent

@chrissedoff: Is "throw down" the same as "calmly explaining"? When any group is the victim of stereotyping, I can never see it as a negative to point out those inaccuracies.

You're basically saying, "If you people want to know why you're insulted so much, just look at how you have the gaul to respond when we insult you!"

I have no problem with the word in "just about any context". I have a problem when it's become a place holder for "racist" or "misogynist" or any other number of purely ignorant accusations. As the OP clearly did.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#41  Edited By Cirdain
I think this is a nice infographic :)
I think this is a nice infographic :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think it's lovely how those most concerned with the undoing of negative stereotypes also happen to believe in stereotypes wholeheartedly when it suits them. High-minded hypocrisy is the best argument for existentialism.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like the OP has edited out his/her reference to these guys being libertarians, so there's no need to go nuts.

If you're wondering why some people don't cotton to self-identified libertarians, maybe start with looking at how you guys are ready to throw down over the proper definition of libertarianism whenever the word is mentioned in just about any context.

lol... is this a joke post? It was edited out BECAUSE we brought it up (and OP deleted posts responding to me, for example). And I bring it up because the label is CONSTANTLY MISREPRESENTED. How do you fix the issue if you don't bring it up? Things don't magically go away.

I don't need to hear any justification why some people completely misrepresent a mindset in a negative light, thank you. They should inform themselves and stop.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

Considering that it hasn't really gotten better in the last 8 months I would say that this crap is here to stay.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

cool story bro

Nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Nightriff

You know the great, amazing Dave Snider is a libertarian, so does that make him a bigot? (Answer is NO) Do you know what a libertarian even is?

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it. This has kind of made my day.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 54

I am not surprised at all. Both that this documentary fell apart and that this thread has devolved into people talking about the definition of libertarian already.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 33

Since this has already devolved into bickering, let's go ahead and lock this. The whole GG thing has been played out to the point of exhaustion for all of us, so let's move on and play nice.