• 168 results
Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Acura_Max

It's finally happening! After about 27 years we are finally getting the Ghostbusters movie. It may not have been the movie with Bill Murray that you wanted but I guess I'll take it.

So what do you guys think of this new addition to the franchise?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As someone who actively dislikes the stars involved and the writer/director, it was not actually not too bad. The intro gave me goosebumps.

Although the "four scientists" is just incorrect.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

No matter what you think about the trailer, one thing that's definitely clear so far is that the internet discourse about this movie will be completely insufferable.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Looks not good.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@milkman said:

No matter what you think about the trailer, one thing that's definitely clear so far is that the internet discourse about this movie will be completely insufferable.

Oh god, I don't even wanna think about it. People are the fucking worst.

UnInvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the jokes / gags presented in the trailer worked for me, the humor in the actual movie is going to have to be a lot better to be worth seeing.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The reaction to the announcement was disgusting, and the reaction to the reaction was equally vomit-inducing.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By sammo21

1. Looks like a trailer for Pixels 2

2. Winston was not a scientist in Ghostbusters 1 or 2...so "3 scientists saved New York"

3. The ghost effects are nowhere near as cool as the originals still are. Again, looks like Pixels.

4. None of the jokes landed for me.

5. WTF why are you licking those?

6. I've seen the action figure of who the big bad in this film will be and its unintentionally funnier than anything in this trailer.

7. They are really leaning into the first film super hard in the opening of this trailer, so much so that it deceptively hides the fact that this is a hard reboot of the original film/franchise. The original characters, story, etc do not exist in this film's universe and if you didn't know that going in this trailer almost makes it seem like this is what Jurassic World was to Jurassic Park opposed to any other standard film reboot.

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fractal_seaweed

The beginning of the trailer is so damn weird: "30 years ago... 4 scientists saved New York". Oh, so this is a sequel? Nope. But you started out by saying-- TOTAL REBOOT! ... Okay.

"... 4 scientists..." Yeah, that's a weird one. I'm guessing they just couldn't figure out another way of fitting in Ernie Hudson's character. "... 3 scientists and some other dude...!" just doesn't sound as appealing I guess.

I mean, it looks fine? I don't know. I find these days it's rare that movie studios make a good trailer. So this'll probably be the first and last one I'll let myself see. Whatever! I'll see it on Tuesday when movies are cheap.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It looks ok, the humour is certainly a bit more broad over the top than the much dryer tone of the origina but that's probably a sign of what modern comedies are vs. 30 years ago.

Since all the ghosts are completely digital they don't have the same immediate charm of the originals, but they look fine, the first ghost we see is obviously a play on the grey lady from the first one, and the face change doesn't evoke the same terror that the grey lady did in me, though, I'm not seven anymore either.

Overall it looks to be more of a action-comedy with horror elements than an horror-comedy like the original.

I think comparisons to the original will make people judge this unfairly, while Ghostbusters is a fucking masterpiece it's also been followed by:
Ghostbusters 2 (which is still good but no where near 1)
The Real Ghostbusters (good for a cartoon of that era, but compared to the first move? c'mon)
That ghostbusters videogame that's supposed to be basically Ghostbusters 3
The IDW comic book series

None of which lit the world on fire or had people complaining about them sullying the good name of the original, let this film be it's own take on things and judge it on it's own and I think it'll be an enjoyable night out.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems bad. Doesn't look like it has any of what made the originals great. That really great genre blurring or horror, sci-fi , and comedy has been replaced with yet another wacky modern one liner laden comedy dressed up as a ghost movie.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

I dig it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not loving the trailer, but I'm still optimistic.

Of course, I'm keeping my expectations in check. Ghostbusters was lightning in a bottle. Perfect time, perfect cast, perfect amount of ad-libbing. The sequel, while a lot of fun, showed how delicate the balance of the first movie was. The game/Ghostbusters 3 (lol) did the same thing, as much as I loved it.

Save for a miracle that the trailer is deftly hiding under the guise of slightly-above-mediocrity, this is not going to be the next great comedy of our time. All I want is a fun two hours, and I'm happy. Ghostbusters is a modern classic, but it's not exactly Citizen Overused Comparison.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

Dear movie and game people, please stop reminding me how old I am. THANKS

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks pish; as 'hilarious' as every other Hollywood comedy film (SHE INSINUATED ECTOPLASM WENT IN HER FANNY LOL!) in the past two decades, with the obligatory too-much-CGI.

I'll pass.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

30 years on, Eddie Murphy still gets snubbed.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Can't tell if that was a humorous comment or not, lol. The character of Winston was originally written for Eddie Murphy but he turned the role down to film Beverly Hills Cop and so the character's role was decreased in the film. Ernie Hudson was the actor who took on the role.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it will be good like the Robocop remake. Wait, I mean the Red Dawn remake. Wait, I mean the Total Recall remake. Wait, I mean the Point Break remake. Be less creatively bankrupt, Hollywood.

On a side note, I'll watch this when it's on Netflix because Kate McKinnon.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I didn't detect a trace of sarcasm - I thought this movie was supposed to be about New York?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

@shindig: Can't tell if that was a humorous comment or not, lol. The character of Winston was originally written for Eddie Murphy but he turned the role down to film Beverly Hills Cop and so the character's role was decreased in the film. Ernie Hudson was the actor who took on the role.

Yeah, I knew he blew it off. I don't quite get the casting for this reboot. I mean, someone, somewhere has aimed this at a female audience because of some numbers that I can't quite fathom. Are they suggesting 30 years ago the majority of the Ghostbusters fanbase were girls or are they suggesting more women see movies now than guys? Or are they attaching a known property to give these actors a boost?

I DON'T KNOW HOW HOLLYWOOD WORKS!

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Love love love the look of Kate McKinnon in this! Much like Star Wars and Jurassic World from last year it seems pretty close to the original in plot so it can only ever be so good but I'm on board!

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I fucking cried while watching this. My goddamn childhood is RUINED :'(

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@dussck said:

I fucking cried while watching this. My goddamn childhood is RUINED :'(

LOL

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

This is such a huge bummer, for so many reasons

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehhhhhh *shoulder shrug*

I liked the reworked theme song though, that was actually the best part of the trailer for me.
The rest sort of looks paint by numbers typical whatever, nothing great happened, but it didn't sling its movie poo at the screen either, it just sort of existed.
I don't ever want for something to be bad, so I'll cross my fingers it turns out to be good, but... to reiterate, eeehhhhhhhhhhh.

Also stop naming new things after the original, it's stupid, subtitles people! WHOSE ON FIRST?!

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Yes, the Hollywood formula is strong in this one. After 30 years or so the movie has to be remade with the same characters, same story and the same little details that everybody loved. This one even has a full female cast, so not only the men will go to relive their childhood, they can also bring their girlfriends or wives.

The new Star Wars followed the exact same formula and so did Mad Max to an extend: same locations, same story and characters as the original and a female lead.

"Eureka!", the film studio's screamed in LA.

Boring.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That seemed alright.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By LawGamer

Well, I regret my decision to watch that.

It looks terrible - I didn't laugh or even crack a smile the entire time I watched it. The entire pitch of the movie seemed to be "Let's make a gender-swapped Ghostbusters!" except made by people who have zero understanding of what made the original movie funny.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#30 FinalDasa  Moderator

@mike said:

Dear movie and game people, please stop reminding me how old I am. THANKS

Hey Mike. You're really old. Ghostbusters is 30. Pokemon is 45. And Halo is 2,459 years old.

Trailer is pretty bad. The jokes land flat, the characters seem one dimensional, and all I know about them is that they bust ghosts.

eazeapeazea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course the black woman is the who one performs religious histrionics and has the old car. :/

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

That didn't entertain me any less or more than the original did when I saw it a few years ago. Without any love for the original concept I doubt I'll ever see it.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll agree that reboots are a bit silly when something new could be created. But reboots aren't necessarily for us "older" people. It's for a newer generation of movie watchers that haven't seen the original Ghostbusters and yea, I'm sure there are plenty of young kids out there who refuse to go back and watch older movies and play older games. Even though the original movie still kicks ass.

Do I think it looks great? Eh, I'll reserve judgement. But I think to sit here and say "oh no my childhood is ruined" or "They've ruined the Ghostbusters name" is a big over-exaggeration and a bit silly. The original Ghostbusters is still there. In fact, it's in a two pack Blu-Ray in a really pretty collectible case for $10! So, I can go watch that whenever I want to. This reboot existing doesn't somehow make that original suck now. They can both exist.

I'll rent in when it comes to Redbox and give it a shot. $1.50 is a pretty low investment. lol. I do actually like most of the cast. I'm just not sure if the jokes are gonna hit the way I want them too.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sammo21

@shindig: Well, the fact they debuted the trailer on the Ellen show perfectly encapsulates who Sony and Paul Feig think the main demographic for this film will be.

Once again, this is Pixels 2. Definitely looks like it.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think it looks bad. Besides the special effects, this trailer makes the movie look like a stinker. A big money grab that is trying to use nostalgia to curry favor with fans of the old movie. Maybe Feig just doesn't know how to cut a good trailer, but I have low expectations for this movie.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You would think that reviving a beloved franchise, bringing on board a director and cast with an impressive pedigree and having the blessing of the creators behind the original film would make fans online excited and optimistic but instead a lot of them seem to be angry and cynical.

I WONDER WHY

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@lawgamer said:

Well, I regret my decision to watch that.

It looks terrible - I didn't laugh or even crack a smile the entire time I watched it. The entire pitch of the movie seemed to be "Let's make a gender-swapped Ghostbusters!" except made by people who have zero understanding of what made the original movie funny.

The problem is that a lot of the humor of the original was subtle or delivered with that Bill Murray smirk. It wasn't an outright comedy. What little I've seen of this new one (just this trailer) makes it seem more of a slapstick comedy. I don't know if scarey is the right word to describe the originals, but they felt spooky as a kid. This doesn't give me that feeling.

ian280291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll check it out. The comedy seems terrible from this trailer though

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think trailers are generally dumb, so it's not surprising that i find this a little underwhelming.

but i'll defo be there to see it in theatres. it looks like they've nailed the costume/character design and i need to see ecto in motion!

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Tom_omb

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. There's no question I'll see it because it's a new Ghostbusters thing. I love Kristen Wiig and not super familiar with the rest of the cast. I'm cautious, but I have some hope that there could be something to enjoy here. This trailer hasn't really swayed me either way. Some things, like the design of the gadgets, costumes and car don't feel right. I could nit pick more, but I really just want to see it before I form my opinion.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks ok. I have no nostalgia for the originals and I think a couple of those ladies have been funny in other movies. Also the weird one makes me feel like a 13 year old with a crush.

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vocalcannibal

As a full-time girl, I am always psyched about big budget media focused on women.

As a fan of the original, I certainly don't mind more of a franchise I like.

Call it a win/win for me. B)

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GValo

@sammo21: There was a reddit post recently that said 3 trailers were tested for this movie.

1) made it pretty clear the cameos from the original cast were as strangers

2) the trailer was vague and didn't explain if it was a reboot or sequel

3) the cameos were as the original characters and sony is trying to backtrack and say this is a sequel because fans aren't happy with it/the film isn't good and they're trying to bank on it being a surprise sequel to make them money.

Granted it was reddit and was based on a video that Sony removed from youtube so take that with some salt

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has no memory of the originals and always thought they looked pretty lame, I am actually interested to see this.

Mainly because that cast is great. Sign me up!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wellp, the actors seem real terrible and unfunny. Seems whatever otherwise as well!

...netflix at some point, I guess?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Trailers for comedies are usually pretty terrible. This was no exception. I'm not optimistic but I'll reserve my judgement for now.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gvalo: I would be very surprised if they shoehorn this into an actual sequel. I doubt it would change anyone's mind about if they already think it looks dumb. I went in thinking it was stupid they are using gender as a gimmick but more apprehensive/annoyed by the fact that they were making it a hard reboot. After seeing the trailer and the "humor" and special effects they are going for now I know I don't want to see the movie.

Whatever, the originally is still my favorite movie of all time and a dumb reboot won't change that.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on the fence. I was originally excited for a new film but the more I see, the less excited I become. It's much like what happened with Jurassic World. It's a cool idea to have a new film in the universe, but it's hard to capture the same magic as the first movie did. I don't think it's the actors or the people making it necessarily, but it's just a combination of factors all adding up to a "safe" Hollywood reimagining that loses what made the first film so new and exciting.

Of course, I am one of those crazy people that really like Ghostbusters 2, so you can take what I am saying with a grain of salt. :D

On the other hand, the over the top hand-wringing reactions are just ridiculous. No one's life or childhood is ruined. Ninjas haven't broken into your house late at night and stolen your bluray copies of the first two films. They are still there and nothing is going to take away them or their awesomeness. This is just the way the film industry works at the moment. They find a cool thing from the past and try to remake it. It's happening with all nostalgic properties. But the old things still exist and are readily available. Look, I could complain and wail about what was recently done to Jem and the Holograms, but the cartoon and my memories of it still exist independent from the new, trash fire of a movie. So, I guess my point is that it's cool to not be excited for the movie, but it's not cool to say some of the stuff that's being said. The way some parts of the internet are reacting, it's as though they believe a shadowy feminist cabal has made a time machine, used it to go back in time and then prevented the original from being made. When, in reality, it's just some Hollywood bigwigs trying to make a buck off of people's fond memories.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By Sessh

I thought the decision to make the new Ghostbusters female was neat, but the trailer sadly looks pretty shitty too me (aside from some nice special effects).

I was never a fan of McCarthy's brand of humour (she plays the exact same person in every single movie, seriously, just watch a few in a row), the girl who'se probably supposed to be the Peter Vankman of the group is way over the top (more akin to some of the stuff Moranis has done than Murray) and the subway worker just seems like a walking, talking cliché.

Somehow I think it will disappoint me on a similar level as the new TMNT movies did, by really trying to play up the nostalgia factor, but failing to do so in a meaningful way.

Oh, and for whatever reason their new uniforms look even worse than the old ones did.

Also, yeah, the reactions to the trailer and the reactions to the reactions are the fucking worst. Do we really have to make everything about gender/ethnicity/etc. every single time? Society is terrible.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh: From the bits I've seen of her on SNL the lady playing the subway worker/forth member is that character in every skit.

@sammo21: Completely agree. I always thought a reboot should have been more akin to Extreme Ghostbusters. I'm not a fan of the cast or the director. I thought Bridesmaids was terrible so I was pre-disposed to not like this. The humor just doesn't fall in line with the rest of the Ghostbusters franchise.