The Giant Bomb Family

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

Edited By BlackHeronBlue

I just renewed my subscription, and the billing page informed me that I originally joined the site in 2009. It got me thinking, why do I keep watching these people? They've become part of my life, somehow like friends I'll never meet, even though they're at my house every single day. Internet weirdness, thousands of miles of distance, yet their opinions and what happens in their life is kind of more important to me than the shit going on with people in my actual real life (which I don't have because video games).

I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you. The whole Giant Bomb crew, present and past - thanks for making one fat guy's life that much better.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I feel the same way, I joined around 2010/11 and have been listening and watching them ever since. Tuesdays and Friday's have become a special day because of the Bombcast and UPF/Beastcast. I just love winding down with a couple of beers watching UPF instead of going out or play video games. But it's also not just the bomb crew, it's also the community in chat which are a blast to hangout and chat with.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll third this sentiment. Been a huge part of my life since 2010. The Kinect launch stream to be precise.

Thanks everyone involved with Giant Bomb past and present.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Been around since the blog site and jeffs review of Burnout Paradise... wouldn't give any of that time back.

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale: somewhere in that picture lies a profound truth about our social advancement as a species.

sloktor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This is the first community and website i have followed very closely over the years. It brought me back into gaming again much deeper than it used to be. So i fully agree with this site being a gang of friends i never met. Having spent much of my time focusing on work and career this site at time was my first source of entertainment after along day/week of work.

Keep up the good work GB!

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sungahymn

I myself have been lurking around since the P4 Endurance Run days. I was around 13 back then. A lot of stuff has happened in my life (I'm 21 now), so it's comforting to see Giant Bomb be more or less a constant in my life. The impact this site has had on my life really hit me when I happened to meet Brad and Drew at LAX two years ago. I was so flabbergasted like I was meeting my heroes. A little embarassing to admit, but what can I say, it was nice to see them face to face.

So yes, thanks to the Bomb Squad and all you duders out there!

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
@sloktor said:

This is the first community and website i have followed very closely over the years. It brought me back into gaming again much deeper than it used to be. So i fully agree with this site being a gang of friends i never met. Having spent much of my time focusing on work and career this site at time was my first source of entertainment after along day/week of work.

Keep up the good work GB!

I never let my job get in the way of watching GB. :D

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

TV and celebrities don't click with me, there's too many secrets and straight up lies in television, celebrities are constantly being chased up on the nasty things they've done and hollywood is whirlwind of fake smiles and debauchery. Turns out i only become attached to legit cool dudes, there's no pretending at Giant Bomb, there's no artificial importance, their personalities are real, they tell their real life stories, they share their love of the industry every single day, and where certain parts of Youtube and Twitch have stolen some of the spotlight and not necessarily in a good way, GB remains a humble family not just from the crew but from the community as well.
For many people GB content wouldn't be explosive or exciting enough, but i wouldn't trade this approach to games coverage and the people involved for anything or anyone else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I joined in January of 2011. Not super long, but still 6 years, almost 7. I don't think I have actually ever been part of any other community on the internet for that long, or even close to it.

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:

TV and celebrities don't click with me, there's too many secrets and straight up lies in television, celebrities are constantly being chased up on the nasty things they've done and hollywood is whirlwind of fake smiles and debauchery. Turns out i only become attached to legit cool dudes, there's no pretending at Giant Bomb, there's no artificial importance, their personalities are real, they tell their real life stories, they share their love of the industry every single day, and where certain parts of Youtube and Twitch have stolen some of the spotlight and not necessarily in a good way, GB remains a humble family not just from the crew but from the community as well.

For many people GB content wouldn't be explosive or exciting enough, but i wouldn't trade this approach to games coverage and the people involved for anything or anyone else.

You make a good point, but the non-explosiveness is what really made me love the content when I first joined. After the guys left Gamespot I didn't know they started a new site for a while, and then I arrive here and the Persona 4 ER was already here... So I started watching and it was like, man, these dudes just play this chill ass game and talk about interesting stuff, this is so much better than all that flashy shit! Remember how Dave Snider and Vinny had the Random PC Game show... that's just so relaxing. My kinda content. I mean, UPF during the Whiskey Media period was too much for me. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been around since at least 2009, I'm not a huge contributor to the forums or the wikis but this is definitely my internet home.

disco_drew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By disco_drew22

The GB crew got me through some pretty rough times when I was working two jobs, barely got to spend time with my wife, and finishing up my degree. For that reason alone, I’ll listen and follow them for as long as they keep this up.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been visiting the site since 2008 and I've been a premium member since 2010. I renewed my premium subscription during the Black Friday sale until 2020. No regrets.