IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By IBurningStar
No Caption Provided

Get comfortable because you are going to be in for a bit of a read here, because it is time that I introduced you all to the glorious work of modern television that is known as Akibaranger. The show’s actual full name is Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger and it is what has been dubbed as an unofficial season of the hugely popular Japanese series Super Sentai. For those of you who don’t know, Super Sentai is what Power Rangers was based off of. Each season exists in its own universe and has different characters and history. The simplest way to describe it would be to say that it is kind like Final Fantasy in that while they aren’t directly related they do share many of the same tropes, scenarios, and themes.

Enough with the history lesson, it is time to get into the real meat of this article. Akibaranger is a more “mature” (I am using that word very loosely.) version of your normal Super Sentai show. While the show is normally aimed at children and families, Akibaranger is target more at teenagers and young adults. The story is set in Akihabara, the “electric town” of Tokyo where gaming and anime culture come together to form a haven for otakus, which, by the way, is exactly what our three main heroes are. The trio end up acquiring the typical set of Sentai powers and gadgets and are tasked with defending Akihabara from various threatening outside forces.

The main antagonist for most of the show.

So far this all sounds very run of the mill, but this is where things get interesting. The individual storylines, characters, and basically everything else all come together to form what can be best described as Internet: The TV Show! I mean we are getting into Saint’s Row the Third levels of absurdity and weird meta humor. Hell, the overarching narrative of the show is the Akibarangers trying to be noticed as an official Sentai series! Everything from waifus to bubble art is mentioned and used here. There is a part where someone kicks the air and wildly misses her target that is a good 20 feet away, but because of forced perspective and how the camera captures the scene the kick totally hits the guy! That is the actual explanation for how that fight happens. Is is dumb as hell and it fills you with absolute joy.

Akibarangers

AkibaRed
AkibaRed

The character of AkibaRed is my new hero and is basically an absolute failure in everything he has tried in life. If it wasn't so hilariously pathetic, his story would actually be really sad. He lives in a constant fantasy land in his head. The guy is 29 years old and is absolutely obsessed with moe anime and Super Sentai. He works a dead end bike messenger job. He is super creepy and inept when it comes to talking to girls. Not Adachi creepy, think more unintentional spaghetti master. You get the idea. However, all this is what makes him excel as an Akibaranger, because all of their powers are based on delusions.

Yeah, by the way, they don't actual have any powers nor do they actually fight anything. The reality of the show is that three grown ass adults are running around in the middle of the road attempting to defeat the air. Their enemies and their schemes are all part of deluded fantasies that are conjured up based on what is going on around them.

Next we have AkibaYellow. Yellow is a cosplayer who is always in some sort of costume and in character as appropriate to that costume. While dressed as a cat girl she constantly works in "nya" sounds whenever possible. (Nya being the Japanese version of meow.) At one point in the show it is revealed she is really into Yaoi, or boy love. And yes, that does come into play during a few situations where AkibaRed finds himself being put in some what compromising positions by one of the villains of the week.

No Caption Provided

Finally there is AkibaBlue who plays what could be considered the straight-man of the group. That isn't to say that she is a serious character -no one on this show is a serious character- she is simply the least animated. Her running gimmick for the first half of the show is that she doesn't have a grip on what is going on when it comes to things like posing and whatnot.

Why watch it?

This is a gif. Click to push the button.

This has all been extremely difficult to write, because it is hard to explain to you why you need to watch this without simply telling you what happens. It is sort of like writing a review for a comedy film. I can tell you it is funny, but for me to go into the specifics of why it is funny would require me to spoil some of the gags for you, meaning it won't be as funny for you when you see it happen on screen. I went into this almost blind. I want you to have that same experience. My mind was blown away out how absurd this whole thing was. The heroes aren't what you would call heroic; their main motivation is to get picked up as a TV show. The villains schemes are things like turning Akihabara into a new Shibuya or opening up a lot of hostess bars everywhere. Not really world threatening stuff. Hell, their "morphers" are anime dolls that transform into guns and their finishing manuever is called Moe Magnum. The Megazord equivalent is one of those hideously overly designed cars with anime girls on them. The enemies names are things like Shibuyaseitakaawadachisohidenagaaburamushi and other unpronounceable gibberish. The names are so long that they have to write their own names down in order to remember them!

I really have to hope what little I have shown you here is enough to pique your interest in the show. It is only 13 episodes, so it isn't too much of a time investment. Maybe some of you will check this out, and if you decide to then I promise you that you will be rewarded for doing so. Granted, some of the shows humor requires you to understand certain aspects of Japanese culture, but seeing as how you are reading this on a gaming site then you are most likely the kind of person who has absorbed this unintentionally.

You can find some English subs of the episodes.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By IBurningStar
No Caption Provided

Get comfortable because you are going to be in for a bit of a read here, because it is time that I introduced you all to the glorious work of modern television that is known as Akibaranger. The show’s actual full name is Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger and it is what has been dubbed as an unofficial season of the hugely popular Japanese series Super Sentai. For those of you who don’t know, Super Sentai is what Power Rangers was based off of. Each season exists in its own universe and has different characters and history. The simplest way to describe it would be to say that it is kind like Final Fantasy in that while they aren’t directly related they do share many of the same tropes, scenarios, and themes.

Enough with the history lesson, it is time to get into the real meat of this article. Akibaranger is a more “mature” (I am using that word very loosely.) version of your normal Super Sentai show. While the show is normally aimed at children and families, Akibaranger is target more at teenagers and young adults. The story is set in Akihabara, the “electric town” of Tokyo where gaming and anime culture come together to form a haven for otakus, which, by the way, is exactly what our three main heroes are. The trio end up acquiring the typical set of Sentai powers and gadgets and are tasked with defending Akihabara from various threatening outside forces.

So far this all sounds very run of the mill, but this is where things get interesting. The individual storylines, characters, and basically everything else all come together to form what can be best described as Internet: The TV Show! I mean we are getting into Saint’s Row the Third levels of absurdity and weird meta humor. Hell, the overarching narrative of the show is the Akibarangers trying to be noticed as an official Sentai series! Everything from waifus to bubble art is mentioned and used here. There is a part where someone kicks the air and wildly misses her target that is a good 20 feet away, but because of forced perspective and how the camera captures the scene the kick totally hits the guy! That is the actual explanation for how that fight happens. Is is dumb as hell and it fills you with absolute joy.

Akibarangers

AkibaRed
AkibaRed

The character of AkibaRed is my new hero and is basically an absolute failure in everything he has tried in life. If it wasn't so hilariously pathetic, his story would actually be really sad. He lives in a constant fantasy land in his head. The guy is 29 years old and is absolutely obsessed with moe anime and Super Sentai. He works a dead end bike messenger job. He is super creepy and inept when it comes to talking to girls. Not Adachi creepy, think more unintentional spaghetti master. You get the idea. However, all this is what makes him excel as an Akibaranger, because all of their powers are based on delusions.

Yeah, by the way, they don't actual have any powers nor do they actually fight anything. The reality of the show is that three grown ass adults are running around in the middle of the road attempting to defeat the air. Their enemies and their schemes are all part of deluded fantasies that are conjured up based on what is going on around them.

Next we have AkibaYellow. Yellow is a cosplayer who is always in some sort of costume and in character as appropriate to that costume. While dressed as a cat girl she constantly works in "nya" sounds whenever possible. (Nya being the Japanese version of meow.) At one point in the show it is revealed she is really into Yaoi, or boy love. And yes, that does come into play during a few situations where AkibaRed finds himself being put in some what compromising positions by one of the villains of the week.

No Caption Provided

Finally there is AkibaBlue who plays what could be considered the straight-man of the group. That isn't to say that she is a serious character -no one on this show is a serious character- she is simply the least animated. Her running gimmick for the first half of the show is that she doesn't have a grip on what is going on when it comes to things like posing and whatnot.

Why watch it?

This has all been extremely difficult to write, because it is hard to explain to you why you need to watch this without simply telling you what happens. It is sort of like writing a review for a comedy film. I can tell you it is funny, but for me to go into the specifics of why it is funny would require me to spoil some of the gags for you, meaning it won't be as funny for you when you see it happen on screen. I went into this almost blind. I want you to have that same experience. My mind was blown away out how absurd this whole thing was. The heroes aren't what you would call heroic; their main motivation is to get picked up as a TV show. The villains schemes are things like turning Akihabara into a new Shibuya or opening up a lot of hostess bars everywhere. Not really world threatening stuff. Hell, their "morphers" are anime dolls that transform into guns and their finishing manuever is called Moe Magnum. The Megazord equivalent is one of those hideously overly designed cars with anime girls on them. The enemies names are things like Shibuyaseitakaawadachisohidenagaaburamushi and other unpronounceable gibberish. The names are so long that they have to write their own names down in order to remember them!

I really have to hope what little I have shown you here is enough to pique your interest in the show. It is only 13 episodes, so it isn't too much of a time investment. Maybe some of you will check this out, and if you decide to then I promise you that you will be rewarded for doing so. Granted, some of the shows humor requires you to understand certain aspects of Japanese culture, but seeing as how you are reading this on a gaming site then you are most likely the kind of person who has absorbed this unintentionally.

You can find some English subs of the episodes.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Petiew

Might want to delete that link at the bottom of the post before the topic is closed.
Akibaranger is great. I'm really looking forward to the 2nd series. I watched a couple of sentai series after this ended.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By IBurningStar

Done. I can still tell you where to get some subs if anyone wants them and doesn't want to take the time to search, but I'm not going to leave the direct link to it up.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaggE

This sounds like my kind o' stupid, as well as a way to pay tribute to my childhood Power Rangers obsession without actually having to suffer through an episode of Power Rangers.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Yadilie

AkibaRangers is the only Super Sentai I can even stand to watch just because it's mocking the tropes of the Sentai series. GoBus and Shinkenger was just dull beyond belief. Not even J and Beet could save GoBus. It's all about Kamen Riders.

Avatar image for piqued_interest
Piqued_Interest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Piqued_Interest

Man this is real dumb. Real, Real Dumb.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

This show was absolutely incredible and something more people should be made aware of, especially with the second season starting shortly.

@ShaggE said:

This sounds like my kind o' stupid, as well as a way to pay tribute to my childhood Power Rangers obsession without actually having to suffer through an episode of Power Rangers.

You should probably try watching some of the Super Sentai seasons. Power Rangers basically takes the footage, cuts it all up, dumbs it down, removes anything interesting and fills in the gaps with really bad acting and non-stop puns. Sentai is still pretty goofy and very much aimed at kids, but there's a lot to enjoy about it, without feeling as dirty as you would watching an episode of Power Rangers.

Kamen Rider is also a slightly more mature alternative, particularly the early Heisei stuff.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By jacksukeru

I loved this show and particulary appreciated its lack of giant robot battles, since that is one of the things that push me away from the regular sentai shows (strange as that may sound). I am also very excited for the upcoming second season.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I want to watch this now. How would I go about that?

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I want to watch this now. How would I go about that?

Start working over-time

There's a not so subtle hint there somewhere. There's no official translation, since these things would typically fall to Saban, but it's far too adult orientated to be adapted into Power Rangers. But there's a lot of fan sub groups out there that do most Kamen Rider/Sentai shows.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Ravenlight

@IBurningStar:

Please PM me how I can watch this so I can tell you how it's probably very illegal to watch this.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@IBurningStar:

"There is a part where someone kicks the air and wildly misses her target that is a good 20 feet away, but because of forced perspective and how the camera captures the scene the kick totally hits the guy!"

I had to stop here because now I need to go watch it. I guess I'll have to go find it some where HINTHINTPMMEDUDERHINTHINT

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GabrielCantor

This seems like the best thing to follow up on watching the entirety of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers with.

NinjaBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NinjaBerd

Ok, I'm in.

But uh... Where/how can I legally watch this?

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@NinjaBerd: You can't watch it legally, since it's based on Super Sentai and not Power Rangers and has far too much adult material to ever be brought over under that brand.

There are a lot of subbing groups that are relatively easy to find, if you search around general fansites though.

NinjaBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NinjaBerd

@WinterSnowblind: Thanks!