• 100 results
poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By poveren

I've decided to combine into a single discussion, similar to wrestling thread. Any musicians here? Death metal fans? Axl Rose joining AC/DC?!

cashbasket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Huge metal fan here. It pretty much governs my existence. Death metal, black metal, prog metal, viking metal, thrash, NWOBHM... you name it. I am currently watching/listening to Celtic Frost's 2006 Wacken performance. Such a good show.

VipeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently saw that Gojira is releasing a new album this spring AND I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!

Subterfudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Heavy Metal (and music in general) is one of the four pillars of my life (alongside comedy, video games, and politics). I haven't been to a show in a while, but I think the last shows I went to were a Steel Panther show and possibly Nightwish. I love everything from classic HM, to grindcore, power/symphonic, thrash, doom/goth, melodic death metal, etc.

I re-watch the Sam Dunn documentaries (Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, Global Metal, and the Metal Evolution tv series) every year or so, and I encourage others to check them out if they haven't already.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting for that elusive third album from Necrophagist :'(

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seeing kvelertak in may- hope their new one is good! (i wasn't a fan of Meir relative to the brilliance of the s/t)

here's a question for the metal thread- should i go to see pallbearer with graves at sea, order of the owl, and forn? i bloody love pallbearer, but i know nothing of the other 3.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thanks for reminding me of Obscura's Akróasis. Kinda forgot that it come out last month.

I need to get on that.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By poveren

Thanks for reminding me of Obscura's Akróasis. Kinda forgot that it come out last month.

I need to get on that.

Same here.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any Porcupine Tree fans in here? Seems no one I ever meet knows who they are. More prog rock than metal, I know, but the influence is there. Steven Wilson is an incredible songwriter and musician.

Also been discovering a bunch of great music on Bandcamp. I recommend it to anyone looking for new tunes.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

Any Porcupine Tree fans in here? Seems no one I ever meet knows who they are. More prog rock than metal, I know, but the influence is there. Steven Wilson is an incredible songwriter and musician.

Also been discovering a bunch of great music on Bandcamp. I recommend it to anyone looking for new tunes.

Hand Cannot Erase is my favorite of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ecb0f733056
deactivated-59ecb0f733056

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be'lakor announced their new album finally. https://www.facebook.com/belakorband/photos/a.347773032229.158802.23084022229/10153996290562230/?type=3&theater

Been waiting for so long and it's the most I've ever been excited for a new album.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Am...am I allowed in this thread if I only really care about instrumental/post-metal (Pelican, Isis, Irepress, etc...), old Metallica, and Burzum's Dauði Baldrs (unironically)?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yeah, been playing guitar for 15 years so I naturally gravitated to more technical stuff. From the classics to prog metal to the most brutal death out there. Metal's great, but I've learned that it's not the only thing I should be listening to.

Redemption just put out an album that has solos from Chris Poland, Marty Friedman, and Chris Broderick so that was kind of great.

loudgeekjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By loudgeekjr

@beachthunder: Peilican and Isis are amazing, with the former being my all time favorite band. The Count from Burzum used to be my neighbor, which grants me the right to claim the role of diplomat on behalf of True Norwegian Black Metal.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I used to listen to a lot more, but I have more limited tastes. But kind of goes across all the different types of genres. I like stuff like Death and Metallica. My favorite metal band is Agalloch. The last metal album I got really into was New Bermuda by Deafheaven. I like some black metal a lot and their take on it is really enjoyable. I have gotten Spotify so I am trying to use it to listen to more metal.

My sweet fifth grade teacher was the mother of Erik Rutan of Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal, which was funny.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loudgeekjr: Awesome man, The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw and Panopticon are two of my all-time favorite albums across all genres. And I'd identify as a hip-hop head more than anything else.

Random thought but Malthusian need to release a full-length. Below the Hengiform is nice stuff, glad to see Ireland continuing some of that blackened death metal style after Altar of Plagues broke up right when they got really interesting with Teethed Glory and Injury.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

I've played in a bunch of metal bands (did some touring bass work for Into Eternity)

Recently, I've been absolutely in love with Periphery's Juggernaut albums (Alpha & Omega). Possibly my favourite metal albums of all time.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Not a huge fan of straight up metal but I like some its offshoots like grindcore and the like. Been super into Converge lately mostly.

Also been starting to go to more shows lately. Saw Pentagram last week, and I bought my ticket to see Napalm Death next Thursday. Should be a good time.

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moonsorrow is releasing a new album on April 1. Pretty excited considering how consistently good their albums tend to be.

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poveren said:
@facelessvixen said:

I need to get on that.

Same here.

Ode To The Sun is an amazing song.

@dgtlty said:

Huge PT (been following since In Absentia) fan, huge Steven Wilson in general fan. Hand. Cannot. Erase is amazing.

seeing kvelertak in may- hope their new one is good! (i wasn't a fan of Meir relative to the brilliance of the s/t)

here's a question for the metal thread- should i go to see pallbearer with graves at sea, order of the owl, and forn? i bloody love pallbearer, but i know nothing of the other 3.

Yes.

I've played in a bunch of metal bands (did some touring bass work for Into Eternity)

Recently, I've been absolutely in love with Periphery's Juggernaut albums (Alpha & Omega). Possibly my favourite metal albums of all time.

It has been too long since Into Eternity have done anything recording wise. I really want to hear the new vocal dynamic outside of live bootlegs.

As for me, I've been jamming a lot of Wormed's Krighsu and Gloria Morti's Kuebiko into my earholes, alongside two releases from last year in Svffer's Empathist and Teethgrinder's Misanthropy.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Really? I mean, they're definitely good records, but I still don't think they're even the best stuff that band has put out. I think if you took the best tracks off of both albums and made one, you'd have a single really killer album. Alpha especially has too much slower material and takes too long to get going. Omega is a bit better as it has more of what I come to the band for. The title track "Omega" is outstanding, too.

But yeah, metal. I love it. I breathe it. I've been playing guitar for about 12 years now, too. Music is one of the most important aspects of my life, for sure.

I just got a bunch of CDs in the mail yesterday. I'm hopelessly behind on buying albums, and it only gets harder as I discover more bands with back catalogs. Anyway, I got the debut album from a new hardcore band called Ritual, and man, this stuff is nasty. And I mean that in an entirely good way. Just very aggressive and pissed-off music with some excellent production. I hope they go far.

I also got the album Les Voyages de Lame from a French post-black metal band called Alcest, who was recommended to me by another GB user. Looking forward to listening to that. And I also got the last Scar Symmetry album, The Singularity: Phase 1 - Neohumanity. I'm kind of ashamed of myself for not getting it a year and a half ago when it came out, because I'm of huge fan of this band. Phase 2 might be coming out this year so I didn't want to wait anymore.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bassman2112 said:

Really? I mean, they're definitely good records, but I still don't think they're even the best stuff that band has put out. I think if you took the best tracks off of both albums and made one, you'd have a single really killer album. Alpha especially has too much slower material and takes too long to get going. Omega is a bit better as it has more of what I come to the band for. The title track "Omega" is outstanding, too.

Haha absolutely, I think it's by far the best stuff they've put out ^_^ I like it significantly better than Periphery 2, for example. What you define as "slower material... takes too long to get going" is the stuff I love. I like metal a lot, but I am also a professional musician who's worked with orchestras, jazz groups, et cetera. I really love good writing, and every song on those two albums is exceedingly well composed from a theory standpoint =D I totally understand and respect by what you mean about the whole "what I come to the band for" thing though =)

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moonsorrow is releasing a new album on April 1. Pretty excited considering how consistently good their albums tend to be.

Oh shit didn't realize. Next to Agalloch they are my favorite. Going to check that out.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_ said:
@bassman2112 said:

Haha absolutely, I think it's by far the best stuff they've put out ^_^ I like it significantly better than Periphery 2, for example. What you define as "slower material... takes too long to get going" is the stuff I love. I like metal a lot, but I am also a professional musician who's worked with orchestras, jazz groups, et cetera. I really love good writing, and every song on those two albums is exceedingly well composed from a theory standpoint =D I totally understand and respect by what you mean about the whole "what I come to the band for" thing though =)

I'm a musician myself, and while not a professional one, I wouldn't be a very good one if I didn't pull my inspirations from all over. It's not that I don't like slower stuff or even think those songs are bad, it's that I think the arrangement of that stuff on Alpha made for a poorly-paced first half of Juggernaut. That, and still can't get behind Spencer Sotelo's whiny singing. He has a great voice with amazing range, but he often doesn't fit the music that is backing him when to comes to melodies.

I still maintain that Juggernaut should've been one album, though. Opened with Alpha, closed with Omega. I love the recurring vocal, lyrical, and melodic themes throughout both albums, and Omega bringing that full circle at the end of that track is fucking phenomenal. At the end of the day, they're still a technical/progressive/djent/whatever the fuck you wanna call them band, and I think the albums could've done with more of "the good stuff", if you know what I mean. The Clear EP was excellent in showcasing how they can expand their sound without losing their edge.

VFL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VFL83

I have been on a Metal-Core kick lately. I grew up listening to 80`s hardcore/metal/thrash, so i get the best of the 3 genres in one. Been listening to a lot of Converge, Baptists(Drummer is a beast), Wolf Brigade, and Power Trip.

Baptists- live. I highly suggest watching the drum cam vid as well.

https://youtu.be/d-BujK1z6U4

Loading Video...

Wolf Brigade-From Beyond

Loading Video...

https://youtu.be/UpaF0Ug0KlU

Power Trip- Manifest Decimation

Loading Video...

https://youtu.be/RttNBc_dcRs

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bassman2112 said:
@onekillwonder_ said:
@bassman2112 said:

I'm a musician myself, and while not a professional one, I wouldn't be a very good one if I didn't pull my inspirations from all over. It's not that I don't like slower stuff or even think those songs are bad, it's that I think the arrangement of that stuff on Alpha made for a poorly-paced first half of Juggernaut. That, and still can't get behind Spencer Sotelo's whiny singing. He has a great voice with amazing range, but he often doesn't fit the music that is backing him when to comes to melodies.

I still maintain that Juggernaut should've been one album, though. Opened with Alpha, closed with Omega. I love the recurring vocal, lyrical, and melodic themes throughout both albums, and Omega bringing that full circle at the end of that track is fucking phenomenal. At the end of the day, they're still a technical/progressive/djent/whatever the fuck you wanna call them band, and I think the albums could've done with more of "the good stuff", if you know what I mean. The Clear EP was excellent in showcasing how they can expand their sound without losing their edge.

Totally fair! To each their own in regards to taste, and there's no way I'd say your perspective is in any way wrong =)

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Amon Amarth is pretty dope. Excited to see them in Boston during PAX! They were great when I saw them a couple years back in NYC w/the viking ship drum riser.

VFL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinboy630: I saw them 3-4 years ago and they were awesome. They had no opening band and played 3 hours.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am going to see Napalm Death and the Melvins next week in Austin, TX. It should be pretty awesome. I don't think I have actually listened to any of their music in any frequency besides sorta knowing they exist as bands and I may have listened to their tracks at some point.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah I love metal, ICYM my favorite albums from 2015.

Currently I've been digging Cobalt's new album Slow Forever. Cobalt is a band I've put off listening to for a long time, and I guess one of the main members departed for this album, bringing in Charlie Fell, who has been involved in some other bands I like (Lord Mantis, Abigail Williams).

Here's another weird one I've liked a lot so far this year for anybody looking for something...new.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Technician

@nickhead: Whoa new Cobalt? Nice! I'll check that out. Eater of Birds is great if you haven't checked out that album. I know a lot of people really liked Gin but I wasn't a big fan of that one after hearing Eater of Birds, I think it lacked the punch of that album.

Loading Video...

Really starts to get going around the 3:30 mark.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@technician: I definitely dig it and certainly convinces me I need to go back in their discography.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been to a metal show in ages. Unless you count a local Power Metal band who for some reason got booked on a local Punk Fest.

@rickyyo: Melvins fucking rule. Dale Crover is one of the most underrated drummers ever.

Personally I've been on a Black Sabbath, Mercyful Fate and Kreator binge. Get back to the good "oldies".

Awesome thread.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

This one is probably the best music video I've seen in a while and one of my favourite modern bands as well, so check it out. Sadly, missed both times were down in Toronto.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of metal shows, did any other duders manage to grab tickets to the Opeth show at Radio City? I know there is one in London as well, but I will be at the NYC one so curious if any other GB members will be there.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

One of my favorite new bands from 2015 is back again this year with a new album. If anyone is familiar with Isis, this is Aaron Turner's current project. Some super sludgey post-metal that will stop your heart. I'm already excited to hear the rest of this album, been listening to this song a lot since it was released.

VFL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sumac is rad. The drummer Nick is from Baptists who are also rad.

@nickhead said:
Loading Video...

One of my favorite new bands from 2015 is back again this year with a new album. If anyone is familiar with Isis, this is Aaron Turner's current project. Some super sludgey post-metal that will stop your heart. I'm already excited to hear the rest of this album, been listening to this song a lot since it was released.

schowacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Literally made an account just to respond to this thread. For those looking for sludgier hardcore, I highly recommend Seven Sisters of Sleep. They just released 'Ezekiel's Hags' in February, and it remains one of my favorite releases of the year.

Loading Video...

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've going down a slam hole the past couple of weeks, there are tons of albums on youtube. I found two new personal favorites, one from Dysentery who I've been a longtime fan of, and one from Maleceptor who I've never heard of before.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

If you're like me and enjoy the retarded end of the death metal spectrum from time to time, check that channel out. If you've always hated it, this probably won't change your mind.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Love this thread. Already see a ton of bands mentioned that I personally enjoy. At the risk of going prog or experimental in recommendations Baroness, Kylesa, and Helms Alee are worth a listen too.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, did anyone get the new Babymetal album? :D

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, I'll do some shameless self promotion. My band just released an EP. Modern melodic metal. I play guitar.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maluvin: I've seen both Baroness and Kylessa this year! Both were great shows but Baroness was on a different level. I'm actually gearing up to go to an Amon Amarth concert in a week....they're a shit load of fun.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@seauton: Sounds awesome! I wish I still had the time to make it to more shows. So many great metal bands today that I would have loved to have seen back in my teens and early 20s.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are any duders heading to the Fear Factory/Soilwork show in Chicago on the 19th?

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Looks like Gojira released a teaser for their new album, which I assume will be called Magma, and a release date of June 17. Sad it won't make the spring release, but I've been waiting for a new Gojira album for a few years, so a few more months won't kill me. The teaser gives me just enough for me to want more without giving too much away. This may very well be my most anticipated musical release this year.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a huge metal fan but I do love me some Dir En Grey

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@smtdante89 said:

Looks like Gojira released a teaser for their new album, which I assume will be called Magma, and a release date of June 17. Sad it won't make the spring release, but I've been waiting for a new Gojira album for a few years, so a few more months won't kill me. The teaser gives me just enough for me to want more without giving too much away. This may very well be my most anticipated musical release this year.

Yay more Gojira!

Before I start listening to that Cult of Luna/Julie Christmas collaboration album, I relistened to Eternal Kingdom. While it isn't their best, it does have some good stuff in there. When I originally listened to the album for the first time, I think I heard Ghost Trail once and ignored it. Now it's probably one of my favorite songs from the band.

Also live Pig Destroyer from Obscene Extreme Fest 2015! Apparently their gear didn't make the trip to the Czech Republic so what they used stuff from other bands. Still rippin even if Blake is just having fun and doing nothing but drinkin.

Loading Video...

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Amon Amarth is pretty dope. Excited to see them in Boston during PAX! They were great when I saw them a couple years back in NYC w/the viking ship drum riser.

Actually found the album weak and a bit of a let down. That said i havent enjoyed their albums since 2008's Twilight of The Thunder God, but yet i keep buying them in hopes of them returning to a less clean production and maybe a more viceral tone to it.

impure_world

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. Metal fan right here!