Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Warrozo

Rampant Studios

Who are we?

Well, at the moment we are a small group of students who decided that playing games just wasn't enough. We started out with our own projects and kind of merged into one idea we are now following behind.  Our main talent-pool is mainly programming, as such we have no artistic talents (Other than sketching out rough diagrams and 'ideas' we may have). As we are just starting up, we are working on our first project together but so far are making good progress.

What do we plan to do? 
With all hopes going towards releasing a game that people will enjoy and in the worst case get a few laughs out of it. We are fed up with the way the game industry is going with the Ultra-Realism being pushed into most games and the fact that studios with multi-million budgets just seem to have lost focus with what games are really about (I'm looking at you Infinity Ward). Sure, running around and spraying people with guns is fun but when did we loose games like Mario and the Legend of Zelda? Or games like Shenmue with their awesome story-lines?  

How are we going to do it?

Currently we are talking to a Graphics studio about collaboration on a project we have in mind. Things are going great so far, though its a bit early for details! When we have something we can officially show off though I'll be posting it on here. 

We plan on releasing games that are fun to play, have tongue in cheek humour and push the boundaries of the industry towards more humour games that don't end in brining the player into situations within the real world. Isn't that what gaming is for, escapism, at least for moment your in the game.      

The point of this blog?

My main reason for making this blog is to document how we do, and what we do. So we can look back at anything we do and learn from it. Hopefully others will find this interesting to read and we can help people out while we do what we love doing! 

Wrapping up

I hope people don't get offended by anything I've written, if you do please drop me a comment and I'll tell you why I think these things. 
Anyway, Rampant Studios will be pushing towards our first game with all we have so expect to see something pretty soon!
-Danny Goodayle 

The next step

Our next blog is over here!
Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Warrozo

Rampant Studios

Who are we?

Well, at the moment we are a small group of students who decided that playing games just wasn't enough. We started out with our own projects and kind of merged into one idea we are now following behind.  Our main talent-pool is mainly programming, as such we have no artistic talents (Other than sketching out rough diagrams and 'ideas' we may have). As we are just starting up, we are working on our first project together but so far are making good progress.

What do we plan to do? 
With all hopes going towards releasing a game that people will enjoy and in the worst case get a few laughs out of it. We are fed up with the way the game industry is going with the Ultra-Realism being pushed into most games and the fact that studios with multi-million budgets just seem to have lost focus with what games are really about (I'm looking at you Infinity Ward). Sure, running around and spraying people with guns is fun but when did we loose games like Mario and the Legend of Zelda? Or games like Shenmue with their awesome story-lines?  

How are we going to do it?

Currently we are talking to a Graphics studio about collaboration on a project we have in mind. Things are going great so far, though its a bit early for details! When we have something we can officially show off though I'll be posting it on here. 

We plan on releasing games that are fun to play, have tongue in cheek humour and push the boundaries of the industry towards more humour games that don't end in brining the player into situations within the real world. Isn't that what gaming is for, escapism, at least for moment your in the game.      

The point of this blog?

My main reason for making this blog is to document how we do, and what we do. So we can look back at anything we do and learn from it. Hopefully others will find this interesting to read and we can help people out while we do what we love doing! 

Wrapping up

I hope people don't get offended by anything I've written, if you do please drop me a comment and I'll tell you why I think these things. 
Anyway, Rampant Studios will be pushing towards our first game with all we have so expect to see something pretty soon!
-Danny Goodayle 

The next step

Our next blog is over here!
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Snipzor

This is very interesting, I can't wait to hear more... honest, I'm really interested.

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Warrozo
@Snipzor: Sarcasm? :D
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Snipzor
@Warrozo: No, of course not. Argg, no matter what I say, it'll seem like sarcasm. Even though I'm sincere... no matter what I say, I look bad.
Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Warrozo
@Snipzor: :D No worries, sorry. Thanks for the support!
Skilbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Skilbs

I have been running a small studio for about 5 months now. We are also all students but we have an almost all art focus. We are split across several countries and several office buildings but are using a bunch of different software to connect us all. Have you guys got a place where you can work together or are you all in separate locations. In the early days it is vital that you stay together as it is alot easier to maintain focus. When we split up for summer our work rate plummeted, it is slowly coming back up.  

Send me a PM with an email address or something, small studios should stick together and share knowledge.

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Warrozo
@Skilbs: Would be a pleasure, it's always great getting in touch with developers.
thebooya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thebooya

Warrozo - Best of luck with everything, my good man! I've found from experience that distributed development across multiple locations can be a challenge, just make sure that everyone is OVERLY organized in communication. Face to face interaction is key - Skype video or PS3 video chat (4 way calls!!) are what help a ton. One developer I met kept a live video stream in both locations going full time so someone could just go up to the camera and say 'HEY, I NEED JEEVES' and booya! Jeeves would be there for a chat. 

Keep your head up, and let me know if I can help! Go get 'em!

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By Astras

Good luck! I hope that you all can sustain your teams obvious passion for games through the hard times and enjoy the good times too :)

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

This is exactly the kind of thing I love to see.

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Warrozo
@TheBooya: Thats a brilliant idea! A live feed would be great to see. 
@Astras: Thanks :D, I'll be keeping this blog updated at least once a week so everyone can see our progress 
@LordXavierBritish: Thank you :)
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kishan6

Left 4 carrots? 
isnt that the name of the mod?

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Warrozo
@kishan6: My personal project is called 28 Carrots Later, that's a game I've coded using the NeoAxis engine and had artwork done by several people who wanted to get involved.
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kishan6
@Warrozo said:
" @kishan6: My personal project is called 28 Carrots Later, that's a game I've coded using the NeoAxis engine and had artwork done by several people who wanted to get involved. "
ah, 
i remember seeing it on moddb a while ago
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By crusader8463

Well good luck. I wish I could have kept the team I had in college together when we left our respective gaming courses. We could have made some fun games but they all went one way and I went another. Sadly for me that way was up for them and down for me.

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Warrozo
@crusader8463: I'm sorry to hear that, it's very hard keeping a team focused on a single project for a long period of time.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Doing the exact same thing with some of my classmates at college. Good luck dude.

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Warrozo
@sodiumCyclops: You too! Let me know if you need help with anything, good to share the knowledge.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@Warrozo said:
" @sodiumCyclops: You too! Let me know if you need help with anything, good to share the knowledge. "
We are very early in the process as a whole, getting some basic scripts typed up and I'm doing some work in After Effects. Using AE to help build excitement and team moral by creating nifty CGI trailers and live action concept drafts. 
Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Warrozo
@sodiumCyclops: It's always a good way to start, build a bit of hype around yourself and people will be more motivated to get something made :)