Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Contra_dk
Black_Raven said:
"My favorite metal band is probably Burzum, iv being listening to some depressive bm like Xasthur and its really good, maybe someone who knows more on this type of bm can recommend some bands.

"
If you like Xasthur, then you will properly like Nortt, a danish one-man depressive black funeral doom band. Also Shining and Silencer for some Depressive Black Metal.
Quint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#152  Edited By Quint
jtickner1 said:
"Quint said:
"Veronin said:
"jtickner1 said:
"Nothing is wrong with me. I think it's stupid that bands like Job For A Cowboy, Bullet For My Valentine, My Chemical Romance, Parkway Drive and all the crap is called metal. You have all this little poser kids running around parading this shit and thinking they're all metal and shit. Try some real metal bands like Iron Maiden, Coroner, Armored Saint, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Blind Guardian,  Re-Animator, Forced Entry, and there are many more. I really don't care if you think Job For A Cowboy is metal, to each their own. "
Sorry bud, but Job For A Cowboy is definitely metal."
Indeed they are, I listen to quite a bit of older stuff (Maiden and Sabbath in particular) but people need to realise genres move on, they're still quite a few new bands that play that sort of metal (Sevenfold for example) but bands like Parkway and Job For a Cowboy are definitely Metal even if there is a bit of a Hardcore Punk influence there.

Liking new bands does not automatically make you a poser, I've been listening to Metal for years and my tastes move on with the times, I sill like a lot of older stuff but I also appreciate a lot of the new talent that is coming in to the genre, maybe you should to? It's either that or get left behind listening to 10 year old albums going on about "the glory days".
"
..... Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying Avenged Sevenfold play metal similar to Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Preist and the others?"
Oh give it a rest you bloody elitist, City of Evil by Sevenfold is a modern take on that early 80s heavy metal, so much of that album is almost straight ripped from a lot of Maiden's early stuff, the only reason you won't even entertain this notion is because they're a new band who in the past were a fairly straight Metalcore act (albeit with a lot of 80s influences thrown in there).

I'm 22, i'm not "trying to get a piece of the scene" I like Metal in most of it's forms, Deathcore and Metalcore happen to be two of these (probably because I'm a fan of Hardcore in general) and i'm sure a lot of fans of these sub-genres are exactly the same, why don't you stop spouting off this gibberish and grow up a bit, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad and it certainly doesn't mean people who do like it are all "posers" or whatever stupid label you want to slap on them.

EDIT: Oh and Anbalsifer calling any of these bands talentless is flat out ridiculous, listen to ANY song off Allegiance by As Blood Runs Black and try and tell me those guys can't play (To be fair i've not listened to much Job For A Cowboy as i thought they sounded pretty meh when I heard them).
NeoTheta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By NeoTheta

My favorite metal band is easily At The Gates. If you like black metal or melodic death metal, you'll love them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYR7a25LXas&feature=related

Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Contra_dk
NeoTheta said:
"My favorite metal band is easily At The Gates. If you like black metal or melodic death metal, you'll love them.
"
The are okay, I got the album "Slaughter of the Soul".
Za3r0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#155  Edited By Za3r0
NeoTheta said:
"My favorite metal band is easily At The Gates. If you like black metal or melodic death metal, you'll love them.
"
they are amazing.

If anyone here likes Nevermore, check out Warrel Dane's(Vocalist) solo project called Praises To The War Machine.  http://www.myspace.com/warreldane
Its a wonderful album.
Also Nevermore's next album is out late 2008

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#156  Edited By OGCartman

Metal is great

jtickner1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By jtickner1

Hey Quint, you're right. They do sound like Iron Maiden. 

Quint said:

"jtickner1 said:
"Quint said:
"Veronin said:
"jtickner1 said:
"Nothing is wrong with me. I think it's stupid that bands like Job For A Cowboy, Bullet For My Valentine, My Chemical Romance, Parkway Drive and all the crap is called metal. You have all this little poser kids running around parading this shit and thinking they're all metal and shit. Try some real metal bands like Iron Maiden, Coroner, Armored Saint, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Blind Guardian,  Re-Animator, Forced Entry, and there are many more. I really don't care if you think Job For A Cowboy is metal, to each their own. "
Indeed they are, I listen to quite a bit of older stuff (Maiden and Sabbath in particular) but people need to realise genres move on, they're still quite a few new bands that play that sort of metal (Sevenfold for example) but bands like Parkway and Job For a Cowboy are definitely Metal even if there is a bit of a Hardcore Punk influence there.

Liking new bands does not automatically make you a poser, I've been listening to Metal for years and my tastes move on with the times, I sill like a lot of older stuff but I also appreciate a lot of the new talent that is coming in to the genre, maybe you should to? It's either that or get left behind listening to 10 year old albums going on about "the glory days".
"
..... Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying Avenged Sevenfold play metal similar to Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Preist and the others?"
Oh give it a rest you bloody elitist, City of Evil by Sevenfold is a modern take on that early 80s heavy metal, so much of that album is almost straight ripped from a lot of Maiden's early stuff, the only reason you won't even entertain this notion is because they're a new band who in the past were a fairly straight Metalcore act (albeit with a lot of 80s influences thrown in there).

I'm 22, i'm not "trying to get a piece of the scene" I like Metal in most of it's forms, Deathcore and Metalcore happen to be two of these (probably because I'm a fan of Hardcore in general) and i'm sure a lot of fans of these sub-genres are exactly the same, why don't you stop spouting off this gibberish and grow up a bit, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad and it certainly doesn't mean people who do like it are all "posers" or whatever stupid label you want to slap on them.

EDIT: Oh and Anbalsifer calling any of these bands talentless is flat out ridiculous, listen to ANY song off Allegiance by As Blood Runs Black and try and tell me those guys can't play (To be fair i've not listened to much Job For A Cowboy as i thought they sounded pretty meh when I heard them).
"

Modern take, this is where it fails. Fails hard. It's not real heavy metal, it's a extremely poor, as you say, take on 80's metal. The Beast And The Harlot or whatever it's called? That's is one of the most radio friendly songs I've ever heard. A7X are terrible.
Anbalsifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Anbalsifer

Ok  Quint I listened  to As Blood Runs Black and not trying to go agaisnt you on purpose, but they are just crap I can name so many other DM bands that can play much,much better than that pathetic dribble. As soon as the vocals came in I knew that I was in for a bad ride. So many other "good" death metal bands that you should be listeing to.

JFAC are just crap, everything about them is shit, the vocals are just terrible , they guitar work is horrible, the shit breakdown after motheringfucking breakdown is nothing more than a gimick to work up the Brootal kids that like this shit.

Also Mr Jtickner has a good point, AX7 sounds nothing like a 80"s band , espically Maiden.Saying that they do , makes me concered about the state of your metal health.

Quint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Quint
jtickner1 said:
"

Hey Quint, you're right. They do sound like Iron Maiden. 

Quint said:

"jtickner1 said:
"Quint said:
"Veronin said:
"jtickner1 said:

"

"

Modern take, this is where it fails. Fails hard. It's not real heavy metal, it's a extremely poor, as you say, take on 80's metal. The Beast And The Harlot or whatever it's called? That's is one of the most radio friendly songs I've ever heard. A7X are terrible."
Can't look at the youtube videos as it's blocked at work.

Either way, I was not saying they're as good as Maiden, I was merely pointing out that there are modern bands that play that kind of Metal, I actually quite like City of Evil, I preferred them when they were more of a Metalcore act but i think it's a fairly good album nonetheless, radio friendly? Yes. As good as a Maiden album (or a Judas Priest album for that matter)? No.

This is besides the point anyway, what i'm saying is that a lot of the new bands and sub-genres are very talented and they are Metal whether you choose to acknoledge this or not, and quite frankly who gives a shit if you don't? I do care however when you call fans of this style of Metal "posers" or "wannabes" just because it's new music and thier taste differs from yours, it's stupid, immature and uninformed.
ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#160  Edited By ManlyBeast

Look at my bio...

My favortie bands are.

• Metallica
  • Dream Evil
  • Kataklysm
  • DÅÅTH
  • dark tranquillity
  • Amon Amarth
  • Archeon
  • Novembers Doom
  • Krisiun
  • Swallow the Sun
  • Sepultura
  • Throwdown
  • Venom
  • Diablo
  • armored assassin
  • and so much more. : )

Veronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Veronin
Anbalsifer said:
"

Ok  Quint I listen to As Blood Runs Black and not trying to go agaisnt you on purpose, but they are crap I can name 10 DM bands that can play much,much better than that pathetic dribble. As soon as the vocals came in I knew that I was in for a bad ride. So many other "good" death metal bands that you should be listeing to.

JFAC are just crap, everything about them is shit, the vocals are just terrible , they guitar work is horrible, the shit breakdown after motheringfucking breakdown is nothing more than a gimick to work up the Brootal kids that like this shit.

"
Not to mention a lot of

BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE BREE
jtickner1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By jtickner1

I never stated that you were saying A7X are as good as Maiden. You made a direct comparison between A7X and 80's Metal, saying A7X's album is a take on 80's metal and a lot of it was "ripped from Maiden" I was showing you it sounds absolutely nothing like Maiden.

The videos are Bat Country or some shit by A7X and Aces High by Maiden.

Quint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Quint
Anbalsifer said:
"Ok  Quint I listened  to As Blood Runs Black and not trying to go agaisnt you on purpose, but they are crap I can name 10 DM bands that can play much,much better than that pathetic dribble. As soon as the vocals came in I knew that I was in for a bad ride. So many other "good" death metal bands that you should be listeing to.

Also Mr Jtickner has a good point, AX7 sounds nothing like a 80"s band , espically Maiden.Saying that they do , makes me concered about the state of your metal health."

Fair enough you don't like the vocals but you're honestly telling me that their guitarist can't play?

I genuinely do not care what you think of the "core" bands as I've said before each to their own but to call out fans of these genres as somehow less than you because of their tastes is ridiculous.

I didn't say Sevenfold sound exactly like Maiden or anybody else I said they draw heavily from that 80s Heavy Metal sound, I was merely trying to illustrate that there are modern bands that still play Metal in that style (it may not be as good as some of the God's of the 80's in your opinion (and mine tbh) but you cannot deny you can hear that era of Metal all over their last two albums), Jesus Christ I don't even like them that much.

For the record I like plenty of straight Death Metal.
jtickner1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By jtickner1
Quint said:
"Anbalsifer said:
"Ok  Quint I listened  to As Blood Runs Black and not trying to go agaisnt you on purpose, but they are crap I can name 10 DM bands that can play much,much better than that pathetic dribble. As soon as the vocals came in I knew that I was in for a bad ride. So many other "good" death metal bands that you should be listeing to.

Also Mr Jtickner has a good point, AX7 sounds nothing like a 80"s band , espically Maiden.Saying that they do , makes me concered about the state of your metal health."

Fair enough you don't like the vocals but you're honestly telling me that their guitarist can't play?

I genuinely do not care what you think of the "core" bands as I've said before each to their own but to call out fans of these genres as somehow less than you because of their tastes is ridiculous.

I didn't say Sevenfold sound exactly like Maiden or anybody else I said they draw heavily from that 80s Heavy Metal sound, I was merely trying to illustrate that there are modern bands that still play Metal in that style (it may not be as good as some of the God's of the 80's in your opinion (and mine tbh) but you cannot deny you can here that era of Metal all over there last two albums), Jesus Christ I don't even like them that much.

For the record I like plenty of straight Death Metal.
"
There are actually a few newer bands that manage to produce music that is much better than anything "Core"
Try Lordi for example. Not the best, but better.
Quint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Quint

Lordi aren't really my cup of tea, I've seen them live a couple of times though and they put on a damn good show.

Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Contra_dk
Quint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Quint
Contra_dk said:
"Anybody here that like Katatonia?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kIim3zXRDz4
"
/raises hand

Very good indeed, I don't know about you but I prefer their newer stuff.

Anybody here like High on Fire?

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Sushbag

Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Slayer, Crue, Sabbath, ACDC, Priest. Those are the standbys.

As for newer stuff I like Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, Bullet for My Valentine, and Avenged Sevenfold.

Black metal kids can go die a painful death.

Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Contra_dk
Quint said:
"Contra_dk said:

"
/raises hand

"
I like both new and old... my favourite album by them is Discouraged Ones.
Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Contra_dk
Sushbag said:
"Black metal kids can go die a painful death.
"
Well... F you mister.
shakaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By shakaz
Contra_dk said:
"shakaz said:
"Black_Raven said:
"My favorite metal band is probably Burzum, iv being listening to some depressive bm like Xasthur and its really good, maybe someone who knows more on this type of bm can recommend some bands.

"
Varg needs to get his ass out of jail to make a new burzum album."
Vikernes makes amazing music... I love the album: "Det Som Engang Var". If only he was out of jail soon.
"
Very good album, but i like Det som engang var and the first half of Filosofem.
Quint said:
"Contra_dk said:

"
/raises hand

"
only listened to Blessed Black Wings  and is very good, dont know much about that genre.

and about all this "core" thing, i say they are better than nu metal the genre they are replacing in the mainstream, so i consider them and improvement.

crystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By crystal
Quint said:
"Everybody should listen to:

Parkway Drive
As Blood Runs Black
Winds of Plague
Despised Icon
All Shall Perish
Bleeding Through
The Black Dahlia Murder
Suicide Silence
As I Lay Dying
Textures
Devil Sold His Soul
Converge
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Heaven Shall Burn

"
Is this for real?

By the way, WTF happened to Mastodon. I remember when they used to be... good.
dmcadidas15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By dmcadidas15
Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Contra_dk
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#175  Edited By OGCartman

U gotta love Metal Baseball Bats!

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#176  Edited By atejas
Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Magnum

All new metal is a sad shell of what metal used to be. I stick to anything pre 21st century and I'm good. I'm an old man though all of 29 but, an old soul. All that hardcore stuff sounds like a guerilla yelling in mic and a monkey banging out power cords. I do like DrangonForce though.

Best metal video ever Number of the Beast.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#178  Edited By atejas
W said:
"I'm loving the amount of elitism in this thread. Who are you to claim a sub genre of metal is "Not really metal and is for fags". Are you kidding me? I bet you wear cardigans because jeans are to "main-stream" for your tastes.
"

Magnum said:
"All new metal is a sad shell of what metal used to be. I stick to anything 21st and I'm good. I'm an old man though al of 29 but, an old soul. All that hardcore stuff sounds like a guerilla yelling in mic and a monkey banging out power cords.

Best metal video ever Number of the Beast.

"

ironic post is ironic.
Philanthropy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#179  Edited By Philanthropy

Yes At the Gates

Arestice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Arestice

I rather enjoy Illnath.

Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Contra_dk

What about Ihsahn from Emperor... Have any of you heard his latest solo album AngL? It's very good.

Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Magnum
atejas said:
"W said:
"I'm loving the amount of elitism in this thread. Who are you to claim a sub genre of metal is "Not really metal and is for fags". Are you kidding me? I bet you wear cardigans because jeans are to "main-stream" for your tastes.
"

ironic post is ironic.
"

Just gave my thoughts. I didn't condemn anyone for liking what they like. Thank you very much.
Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Contra_dk

What is everyones favourite genre in Metal?? Mine is Doom, preferably Funeral Doom, but I also really like some "simple" Death Metal like "Bloodbath.

Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Contra_dk

Come on folks! We need to keep ze Metal thread alive!

stAtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By stAtic

I think my favorite is Melodeath.

Za3r0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Za3r0

definetly Melo- Death. you can't go wrong with bands like Rapture, Opeth, Katatonia, Daylight Dies, Swallow The Sun, Before The Dawn, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, In Flames, Soilwork, Disarmonia Mundi, Omnium Gatherum, Mors Principium Est and Insomnium.

There is just too many good melo-death bands to not like.

Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Contra_dk
Za3r0 said:
"definetly Melo- Death. you can't go wrong with bands like Rapture, Opeth, Katatonia, Daylight Dies, Swallow The Sun, Before The Dawn, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, In Flames, Soilwork, Disarmonia Mundi, Omnium Gatherum, Mors Principium Est and Insomnium.

"
Katatonia aren't Melodic Death... Old Katatonia were Death/Doom and new is Depressive Rock.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Iron is my favourite metal ^_^. Oh wait has that been done before? Damn.

Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Contra_dk
Za3r0 said:
"definetly Melo- Death. you can't go wrong with bands like Rapture, Opeth, Katatonia, Daylight Dies, Swallow The Sun, Before The Dawn, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, In Flames, Soilwork, Disarmonia Mundi, Omnium Gatherum, Mors Principium Est and Insomnium.

"
Opeth are Extreme Progressive Metal and Swallow The Sun are Melodic Doom...
Whight_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#190  Edited By Whight_Knight

Am I allowed say I hate Death/Doom/Black metal?

Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Contra_dk
Whight_Knight said:
"Am I allowed say I hate Death/Doom/Black metal?
"
No
Whight_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Whight_Knight
Contra_dk said:
"Whight_Knight said:
"
No
"
I hate Black, Doom, and Death metal.There.I said it.
Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Contra_dk
Whight_Knight said:
"Contra_dk said:
"Whight_Knight said:
"
No
"
"
You only like the AC/DC, Iron Maiden stuff or something...?
Za3r0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Za3r0
Contra_dk said:
"Za3r0 said:

"
"
if you want to get that specific then id change a few others but im lazy so i won't.
Whight_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Whight_Knight
Contra_dk said:
"Whight_Knight said:
"Contra_dk said:
"Whight_Knight said:
"
No
"
"
"
Yep.Nothing else.Nothing else appeals to me.
Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Contra_dk
Whight_Knight said:
"Contra_dk said:
"Whight_Knight said:
"Contra_dk said:
"Whight_Knight said:
"
No
"
"
"
Yep.Nothing else.Nothing else appeals to me.
"
Fair enough... I personally find those bands hugely overrated... but I guess it's just a matter of taste.
Za3r0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Za3r0

Rapture is very old-Katatonia-Brave style. Its so good i can never contain myself.
They are from Finland. http://www.myspace.com/rapturefin

No question they are my favorite band

Avatar image for ice_cold_rayman
Ice_Cold_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Ice_Cold_Rayman

I would shell out $60 for Iron Maiden Hero. And Opeth Hero (which would probably cripple my hands).

Whight_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Whight_Knight
Ice_Cold_Rayman said:
"I would shell out $60 for Iron Maiden Hero. And Opeth Hero (which would probably cripple my hands).
"
There's a Metallica hero coming out.The idea of that makes me laugh, hard.
Contra_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Contra_dk
Za3r0 said:
"Contra_dk said:
"Za3r0 said:

"
"
if you want to get that specific then id change a few others but im lazy so i won't.
"
I just don't like when bands get wrongly labeled, is it really that bad that I correct some misinformation?