The Nature of Collecting

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By buzz_clik

I've amassed a fairly (un)healthy amount of game-related stuff in my time. For years I relentlessly bought assorted gaming crap, just to tickle that part of my brain that releases weird chemicals as a reward. Consoles, toys, keychains, cartridges, diskettes, discs, even candy have all been purchased by me in this pursuit. I would come home and pretty much every day there would be a package or two for me to eagerly rip into. Sometimes it was a console, other times a weird japanese gaming mascot that made funny noises. More often than not, though, it would be some Megadrive / Genesis game that I'd bought regardless of entertainment quality.

Sega stuff is great to collect; there are loads of different games and console iterations out there. The carts come in hard plastic cases, as opposed to Nintendo's infamously flimsy cardboard efforts. And as far as getting collectable items goes, some of the Sega stuff ranks as very rare when placed alongside the gaming world at large. There are a few titles that had relatively limited runs and, as a result, their price is pushed up.

Panorama Cotton set
Panorama Cotton set
My complete Japanese copy of Panorama Cotton (with matching teacup) is surely the glittering jewel in my Sega software crown. I remember being very excited at the time of buying it. I was getting it for a pretty good price, but that paled next to the simple fact that I was actually going to own it. Similarly, my Japanese copies of The Ooze and Snow Bros are also rare (the former especially so, despite its horrible boxart). However, rarity and region aside, these titles all share another common trait: as soon as they arrived at my house, they just looked like lumps of plastic with pretty pictures on them. Well, except for The Ooze. Man, what is up with that awful cover?

I was hit with a belated blast of this post-purchase slump recently. I'm shifting into a new house soon. I've also managed to squash my compulsion for buying retro gaming items. Last night, in anticipation for my impending move, I took my boxed Mega Drive / Genesis games out of the drawers they live in and placed them on the floor. There they were, over 130 games, just sitting there...

The sad thing is, it just didn't (and still doesn't) look like many to me. I've got other drawers full of other games for other systems, but my Sega collection is meant to be the big set piece. It's supposed the software equivalent of Bruce Willis dragging orphans from the burning wreck of a tank as he guns down three menacing androids, all set to an immensely stirring choral soundtrack with Chuck D shouting rhymes over it. But looking at it instead brought a bout of ambivalence.

A pile of games relaxing at home.
At first I just felt a bit deflated, with all the years of collecting the damn things condensed into a couple of square metres of floor space. Then a wicked feeling stirred in me: I needed to buy more. Obviously my collection was incomplete, and the only way I'd quell my annoyance at this fact was to add to the sad pile on the carpet before me. Luckily, for whatever reason, this pang of wanting passed me by pretty quickly and I got on with sorting out stuff to pack. But for a second there, I'm sure the corner of my eye was twitching in an alarming way.

I guess what I'm saying after all this is that collecting can turn into a very dangerous game. No matter how much you get, there will always be another seemingly unobtainable item to chase down. I've come to a realisation: sometimes it's bad to let your hobby get a grip on you in such a way (unless your hobby is something noble like saving orphans from burning tanks). Once your hobby starts ruling your thoughts and directing your behaviour, then it's probably not a hobby anymore. It's an obsession.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By buzz_clik

I've amassed a fairly (un)healthy amount of game-related stuff in my time. For years I relentlessly bought assorted gaming crap, just to tickle that part of my brain that releases weird chemicals as a reward. Consoles, toys, keychains, cartridges, diskettes, discs, even candy have all been purchased by me in this pursuit. I would come home and pretty much every day there would be a package or two for me to eagerly rip into. Sometimes it was a console, other times a weird japanese gaming mascot that made funny noises. More often than not, though, it would be some Megadrive / Genesis game that I'd bought regardless of entertainment quality.

Sega stuff is great to collect; there are loads of different games and console iterations out there. The carts come in hard plastic cases, as opposed to Nintendo's infamously flimsy cardboard efforts. And as far as getting collectable items goes, some of the Sega stuff ranks as very rare when placed alongside the gaming world at large. There are a few titles that had relatively limited runs and, as a result, their price is pushed up.

Panorama Cotton set
Panorama Cotton set
My complete Japanese copy of Panorama Cotton (with matching teacup) is surely the glittering jewel in my Sega software crown. I remember being very excited at the time of buying it. I was getting it for a pretty good price, but that paled next to the simple fact that I was actually going to own it. Similarly, my Japanese copies of The Ooze and Snow Bros are also rare (the former especially so, despite its horrible boxart). However, rarity and region aside, these titles all share another common trait: as soon as they arrived at my house, they just looked like lumps of plastic with pretty pictures on them. Well, except for The Ooze. Man, what is up with that awful cover?

I was hit with a belated blast of this post-purchase slump recently. I'm shifting into a new house soon. I've also managed to squash my compulsion for buying retro gaming items. Last night, in anticipation for my impending move, I took my boxed Mega Drive / Genesis games out of the drawers they live in and placed them on the floor. There they were, over 130 games, just sitting there...

The sad thing is, it just didn't (and still doesn't) look like many to me. I've got other drawers full of other games for other systems, but my Sega collection is meant to be the big set piece. It's supposed the software equivalent of Bruce Willis dragging orphans from the burning wreck of a tank as he guns down three menacing androids, all set to an immensely stirring choral soundtrack with Chuck D shouting rhymes over it. But looking at it instead brought a bout of ambivalence.

At first I just felt a bit deflated, with all the years of collecting the damn things condensed into a couple of square metres of floor space. Then a wicked feeling stirred in me: I needed to buy more. Obviously my collection was incomplete, and the only way I'd quell my annoyance at this fact was to add to the sad pile on the carpet before me. Luckily, for whatever reason, this pang of wanting passed me by pretty quickly and I got on with sorting out stuff to pack. But for a second there, I'm sure the corner of my eye was twitching in an alarming way.

I guess what I'm saying after all this is that collecting can turn into a very dangerous game. No matter how much you get, there will always be another seemingly unobtainable item to chase down. I've come to a realisation: sometimes it's bad to let your hobby get a grip on you in such a way (unless your hobby is something noble like saving orphans from burning tanks). Once your hobby starts ruling your thoughts and directing your behaviour, then it's probably not a hobby anymore. It's an obsession.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

My hobby has a vice-like grip over me and i'm not sure if I like it.

I tell you, i've just moved house ans with nearly 1000 games that was no easy task, certainly wasn't good for me back that for sure.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By buzz_clik
@The_A_Drain: Awww, no good about your back, mate. Thanks for the heads up, though! ;)

I'm certainly not looking forward to it, that's for sure. I can't even remember how many boxes full of my Commodore 64 stuff are in storage... *shudder* I guess the upside is I'll now have an extra room to set up all this crap!
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain

Awesome haha, I moved back into a smaller place :( So I might have to get rid of some or literally have it like, on my sofa and my bed all the time. The walls are lined with shelfs and they are burgeoning, completely full.