The naysayers were right, another 3D fad has come and gone.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BestUsernameEver
No Caption Provided

Another embarrassing fad has left us yet again, it seems the entertainment industry wants to shove 3D at consumers every 30 years or so, and every time, it never makes an impression. I am not a fan of 3D by any means, but I was starting to understand the hype when the 3DS was announced, if it was done right, this could be a really cool addition. The 3DS came out, and the 3D was done right, but it seemed the technology wasn't saved by Nintendo's easy, glasses free 3D, mainly because it added very little to the experience, some may argue it even detracts from it. I've owned a 3DS xl since August, and can count the times on one hand I turned 3D on for something, the only 3D I care about from now on is actual 3d holograms.

What's even better than companies one by one abandoning a struggling technology, is the new focus on higher resolution displays, curved displays, and better screen tech in those displays, like OLED. Finally we can get excited about something worthy of the attention. What are your thoughts about 3d, are you surprised it's gone so soon, do you like the technology?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I got a 3Ds because I thought it'd be cool to get high and play. I'm awful at making purchasing decisions.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

I got a 3Ds because I thought it'd be cool to get high and play. I'm awful at making purchasing decisions.

The nice thing about the 3DS, if need be, they can stop marketing it as a 3D gaming system, and just talk about the good games. The 3d tech is a footnote for consumers, not the reason to buy. For 3d tvs though, that's the only thing they could try to sell it on, they can't just say 'yeah, its like the other HDTVs, buy it.'

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

LOL.

Yeah I don't see it catching on because of the glasses and there are too many issues for glasses-less.

I have had a few moments where I thought 3D was cool and to be fair I haven't played any 3D games (some say it's cool) but I don't think it adds anything to movies really.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

It was never going to take off. Too many people expressed dislike for it and it makes things more expensive - movies, TV's, etc. It boiled down to nothing more than "Allright, I'll go see a movie or two in 3D and then never care again." Which, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if this was known beforehand - I'd bet that slapping 3D on something isn't terribly expensive and they needed more people to go see movies.

Instead of, y'know, making quality movies for people to go see.

Oh, God, this post was terribly cynical.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@believer258 said:

It was never going to take off. Too many people expressed dislike for it and it makes things more expensive - movies, TV's, etc. It boiled down to nothing more than "Allright, I'll go see a movie or two in 3D and then never care again." Which, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if this was known beforehand - I'd bet that slapping 3D on something isn't terribly expensive and they needed more people to go see movies.

Instead of, y'know, making quality movies for people to go see.

Sorry for making it so cynical, you know, after the cynics were right. 3D was never proven, and was painfully obvious they needed to add a feature for people to start buying more HDTVs or seeing more movies.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karkarov

@believer258 said:

True, but was the post factual? I am willing to say yes. 3D was and is a fad. Until it can be done in perfect clarity, no glasses, no crazy set ups, no hoops to jump through, not cause any percentage of people to feel sick or nauseous, and be affordable for an average human being it will also stay a fad.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By psylah

I don't know, I saw that Pokemon X/Y trailer and I got pretty hyped. That'll be October though.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

And not a moment too soon! I was starting to dread that they might be forcing 3D down or throats forever, and I was starting to think that a future where everything was 3D was possible.

But I think crazy things a lot.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Karkarov said:

@believer258 said:

True, but was the post factual? I am willing to say yes. 3D was and is a fad. Until it can be done in perfect clarity, no glasses, no crazy set ups, no hoops to jump through, not cause any percentage of people to feel sick or nauseous, and be affordable for an average human being it will also stay a fad.

Yeah I don't see what's cynical about it. Everyone I know says the same things. People don't want to play X amount more for a movie or a TV for 3D, it's a greed move.

@psylah said:

I don't know, I saw that Pokemon X/Y trailer and I got pretty hyped. That'll be October though.

Hyped because of it's 3D visuals? That's the point of this thread.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

I'm immediately not interested in 3D involves glasses... however, I really like the 3DS- I don't play it as often as I wish (it just doesn't have many games I'm interested in at the moment), but when I DO play it, I always crank that 3D.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McGhee

The only 3D I've ever been able to see well was on the 3DS which I think is pretty cool even though I don't have one.

But I absolutely hate 3D at the movies. There's something with my eyes where I just can't see it well. It is always slightly blurry and my eyes can't focus on it correctly.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Brendan

The 3DS' visuals, and Life of Pi were fun to watch. Will come back after seeing The Hobbit again, this time in crazy acronym technology mode.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ShadowConqueror

You mean great at making purchasing decisions.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArtisanBreads

By the way, love the image in the OP.

OH FUCK A SHARK IS COMING AT US oh no wait just 3D. Awesome!

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By rentfn

I bought the Sony Playstation 3D TV for 100 bucks. It's a nice TV to have at my desk and every now and then I rent a 3D movie from the store. I don't really like going to the theater and watching a 3D movie because it's never as clear as I want it to be. I guess that problem is solved with the HFR Hobbit but at the price of it looking like a film. Oh well. Never a big fan of 3D and I don't mind if it goes away.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ben_H

3D actually doesn't work well for me, even glasses-less like on the 3DS, so I don't really mind that this fad is going away. I am very excited, however, for super high res.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Duh.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hobbit in 3D HFR has sold me on the merits of 3D. I thought it was beautiful.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By psylah

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Karkarov said:

@believer258 said:

Yeah I don't see what's cynical about it. Everyone I know says the same things. People don't want to play X amount more for a movie or a TV for 3D, it's a greed move.

@psylah said:

Hyped because of it's 3D visuals? That's the point of this thread.

At the end of the day, if I buy a 3DS, Nintendo sees that as a tick in the "yea" column for accepting 3D.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wampa1
BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BoFooQ

good fuck 3D

I laugh everytime someone I know buys a 3D tv than asks me, I have lots of movies, if I have a 3D movie they can try it out with. Everytime my response is the same, "HA HA HA 3D is terrible"

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@ArtisanBreads said:

By the way, love the image in the OP.

OH FUCK A SHARK IS COMING AT US oh no wait just 3D. Awesome!

Yeah, tried to find the cheesiest one.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wrecks

They have to make way for the 4k HFR 4D Experience. This ain't the end. A whole new annoying techmnology is just waiting in the wings to be rammed down our throats. Companies have to come up with something to keep people interested in buying new TVs, the current 3D sales wave has just reached its end.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By myniceicelife

When 3D is done right I've enjoyed it. Avatar was awesome, but for the most part I haven't really watched much else in 3D that has made me want more of it. I don't mind if they still make a movie in 3D every now and then, but I never planned on buying a 3D tv and putting on a pair of glasses just to watch TV or a movie at home. With the 3DS I have the 3D off 99% of the time only to turn it on to see what it's like with the 3D on. I'm kind of happy seeing 3D going away though since it means there'll probably be less crappy 3D movies out there.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

That's one thing I don't like about James Cameron; he tries to push 3D too much.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wrecks

@MyNiceIceLife: 3D in the theaters is not going away, it is increasing and i'll bet that trend continues. Something like 40 3D movies in 2013. And thats fine by me, I think when done right it can really add to the theater experience.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GuyIncognito

@Karkarov said:

@believer258 said:

It's difficult to make 3d on a 2d surface work perfectly because the brain tries to focus your eyes depending on the distance from the object: the 2d surface is always the same distance away from your eyes though. I'm not an optics expert so I have no clue how to make it work without messing with most people's eyes/brains.

In glasses-less 3d, it's even worse: half the time I see double if I move the 3ds slightly.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bybeach

3d may get it's turn, sans glasses and alll that other bs. But curved sisplays, higher resolution, expecally on a dual purpose hd tv...Right ON!!

Hate to say it, but tv's are the monitor of the future, it broken down to it's basic duties and rebuilt with alll that in mind. Plus I do not see where much tv programmming is hurt by curved displays.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@bybeach said:

3d may get it's turn, sans glasses and alll that other bs. But curved sisplays, higher resolution, expecally on a dual purpose hd tv...Right ON!!

Hate to say it, but tv's are the monitor of the future, it broken down to it's basic duties and rebuilt with alll that in mind. Plus I do not see where much tv programmming is hurt by curved displays.

I think so too, these innovations are the TV's dying breathe, these tech enhancements will just go to monitors soon, and that's not even considering where monitors are more advanced than TV sets. I think cable television is going away, and more than that, the screen you watch it on will become the monitor faster and faster. That's why cable companies are so desperate for internet only customers to get their bundle deals. All of that said, I think monitors will become larger than 30 inches, and take the place as the actual movie/show watching display.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By fox01313

I hope so, the 3d films of the 80s (Jaws 3 & Friday the 13th) were campy & fun but I didn't ever want every film to follow those with the 3d. Now with this version of 3d films coming out lately, Tron Evolution was good but it was subtle & only other films to really make the 3d look slightly effective were the animated pieces like Monsters vs. Aliens, aside from that they've all be rather meh at the 3d but above all not really adding enough to the movie to make me feel it's worth it. Glad when I got the new HD tv that it was a nice LCD light flatscreen without all the 3d nonsense thrown in on it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Sooty

@BestUsernameEver said:

@bybeach said:

All of that said, I think monitors will become larger than 30 inches, and take the place as the actual movie/show watching display.

A lot of monitors are already merely TVs without the TV elements, so I'm not sure what would be shocking about this.

and typical monitors have a long way to go first. My Panasonic plasma is in another league of quality compared to my high end 24" IPS monitor and it didn't even cost a whole lot more. Put the same film on in 1080P and no matter what the Panasonic looks sharper, has far superior black levels and is more vibrant.

Monitors are fine if you only need one input, but if you need multiple your choices become more limited and they generally suck at scaling, if you start adding more and more inputs and making them handle non-native resolution content better then you basically have a TV without the tuner. Still, the biggest barrier is that plasma screens still have the best image quality and motion handling, OLED could change that but I'll believe it when I see it.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Subjugation

I'll take a higher, cleaner resolution over 3D any day. I have yet to see something that makes me loved 3D. Increased fidelity though, now that's something that is tried and true.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Sooty said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@bybeach said:

All of that said, I think monitors will become larger than 30 inches, and take the place as the actual movie/show watching display.

A lot of monitors are already merely TVs without the TV elements, so I'm not sure what would be shocking about this.

and typical monitors have a long way to go first. My Panasonic plasma is in another league of quality compared to my high end 24" IPS monitor and it didn't even cost a whole lot more. Put the same film on in 1080P and no matter what the Panasonic looks sharper, has far superior black levels and is more vibrant.

Monitors are fine if you only need one input, but if you need multiple your choices become more limited and they generally suck at scaling, if you start adding more and more inputs and making them handle non-native resolution content better then you basically have a TV without the tuner. Still, the biggest barrier is that plasma screens still have the best image quality and motion handling, OLED could change that but I'll believe it when I see it.

I didn't say it'd be "shocking", I am just saying the larger market will shift towards 30 inches and up monitors. Of course we have a lot of things today, but I am talking about the trend going forward.