The new castlevania thing on Netflix is great!

• 64 results
pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl
No Caption Provided

Color me surprised. It's a great adaptation with pretty good VO, great action scenes (the last one is amazing) and those characters are totally alright. It sticks just close enough to the source material. A great example of how to adapt a video game into a show. Only downside is it's really short and cliffhanger-y. Not to bad since they already confirmed season 2 with double the number of episodes. So it comes highly recommended.

PS: Special props go to the whip animation. Whoever is handling that is doing some great looking creative stuff.

AzlamOrlandu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been anticipating this ever since it was announced. I just watched the first episode and I loved it. Dracula is actually a 3 dimensional character, not just some monster who's evil for the sake of being evil. I can't wait to watch the other 3 episodes when I get home. Bravo!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Pretty cool so far, but definitely a bit too short, at least it did end on what felt like a significant moment. I'm definitely impressed with the job they've done adapting a simple premise for an NES game into an actual story with plenty of characters, if you asked me to write a Castlevania story for a TV show I'd have no idea what to do. Early on I was worried that they were leaning in too hard on gore, but Trevor whipping that dude's finger off and then the other guy's eye sold me on the tone. In general I thought they handled the whip really well, you could easily see an adaptation where they just dismiss the whip entirely outside of like one scene where it's used as fanservice, but they figured out how to integrate it without it feeling like dumb video game/anime nonsense.

I thought the sound mixing was pretty poor though, half the time I couldn't understand what people were saying because the show is acted like it's live action instead of a cartoon. Also wish they'd incorporated some classic Castlevania music, but maybe they'll find some spots in season two for it. What I did notice of the score seemed kinda generic.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Relkin

Just finished it; that was pretty good. Definitely one of the best video game cinematic adaptations, but then again there isn't much competition. Soundtrack could have been better, but I enjoyed the characters and the combat quite a bit. If the rest of this show is at least as good as this first season, I'll be happy.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Alucard is Dracula backwards

HeathHuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HeathHuston

I haven't seen it yet but I really think they should be pushing the fact that the first two seasons were written by Warren Ellis (one of the top 10 comic book writers ever). My interest went from "slightly more than zero" to "must watch ASAP" when I found that out.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was super into it. Then I got bummed out when I got to episode four and it was the last one. Can't wait for season 2.

MasterSwanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9 MasterSwanny  Online

I'm starting episode 3 and am really into it. This doesn't mean I like anime does it...?

MasterSwanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10 MasterSwanny  Online

I also really like the animation. At times it seems pretty basic but then the gore, the whip, and stuff like the shattered mirror in the first episode is crazy good

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I just finished watching it. It's pretty great! It's not high art or anything, but it's 90 minutes of rock-solid Castlevania fanservice. If you've ever appreciated any of the 2D games, you should probably give this thing a shot.

I also really like the animation. At times it seems pretty basic but then the gore, the whip, and stuff like the shattered mirror in the first episode is crazy good

It seems like they saved their animation budget for "the good stuff" and I'm perfectly fine with that, as long as those action scenes keep looking pretty cool.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I really enjoyed this. A pleasant surprise since I went into it with no expectations at all. I really liked how they integrated gameplay stuff like the whip and magic into the action scenes. If these are the same people that will be responsible for the Assassins Creed anime, then I'm suddenly much more excited for that.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Ooooh a second season with double the episodes sounds great!

Castlevania 3 is my favorite Castlevania and also among my favorite games, so I was already on board when I heard that this was to be an adaptation of that. 3 being the introduction of Alucard in the games as well as having more characters than most of the early Castlevania games, one being a love interest that also fights, probably makes it the best choice for adaptation.

I was not disappointed, and while the occasional strong gore didn't really do anything for me one way or the other, I remember thinking the swearing was good. It was a bit short and lacked finality, but hearing that a second season is in the works eases any worry I have of this being a beautiful flash in a pan with no hope of a satifying resolution.

Now for some spoilery talk:

Grant wasn't in it, but I could see him joining up later I suppose. In the canon it's apparently said that Grant Danasty felt unrequited love for Sypha. So if Grant is eventually introduced as a character in the series, I guess I could see there being a love tringle dynamic happening. A bit cliche sure, but it'll probably be decent fodder for interactions between some of the characters. This is already assuming that the show won't entirely sidestep having a romantic subplot by deviating from the canon of the games, but that feels improbable.

Other impressions: falling back into the catacombs at the end there was a little too convenient, but fasttracking the plot so they could get to Alucard was worth it. He looks awesome and his jacket that is reminicient of his Symphony of the Night coat was fantastic. That fight was real good too.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pleasantly surprised. Not amazing, but still pretty good. I'll happily watch the next season.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alucard, Namflow and Nietsneknarf, Attorneys at Law.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@captain_insano said:

Alucard, Namflow and Nietsneknarf, Attorneys at Law.

I suddenly want this animated Netflix original.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I didn't even know about this. Can't wait to start it.

sfw44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm watching this right now, it's really good.

Drakoji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it so much that I want to VinnyVania my way through the series soon.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 58

It's solid, and I enjoyed it far more than I was expecting. Admittedly, I can't help but feel like this reeks a little of being an extended pilot for whatever the second season will end up being, but if they can carry on the promise of this one I think we'll do alright.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did simply because I've never really cared much for Castlevania. I ended up loving it though. My only real complaint is that it's too damn short! But I guess Netflix didn't wanna drop too much on this so this first season is a bit of a trial run. I hope it gets a larger per-episode budget next time around. The animation wasn't horrible or anything, but it also wasn't always that great. When it shines, it shines bright though.

Soooo yeah, that's about it. Never thought I'd be this jazzed about something Castlevania-related, but here we are.

Irritum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it allot also. But I have never played any castlevania games.

Dunno if anyone else felt it, but to me it felt like a first movie split into 4 episodes rather than a first season anime.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 episodes? What? That's hardly a series lol

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Mezmero

I will say it was much better than I thought it would be though calling it great might be generous. The animation didn't have a consistent level of quality, the musical score was mostly generic, and a handful of scenes felt ponderously drawn out but all in all it was pretty good. While I didn't outright love it I would like to see more of it. I said this when the trailers dropped but I think basing it on Castlevania III was a stroke of genius since it has one of the more interesting frameworks among the 2D games in the series.

I always get weirded out when vampires are associated so strongly with fire like Drac was in the first episode. Maybe it's because most of my favorite vampire fiction depicts fire as a weakness, or if not then definitely not something they can just change into at will. I'd be able to buy into it if Drac has straight up dominated a fire elemental to act as his Facetime with humans.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@mezmero: I think it works partly because of his whole Hell thing("My only love has died, I'm gonna get right on ordering an army of demons from Hell even if delivery is gonna take one year") and also because Castlevania!Dracula uses fire as his signature attack. He even does the fire teleport thing in the show, and the fire from the sky looked like the fireballs he likes to use.

But if we wanna go into LORE I guess it could all be a fire elemental like that dude from Dawn of Sorrow used, but it's under the Soul Steal/domination power. I wonder if they're gonna do a Dracula that uses that stuff, and if Death is gonna be a major player. It wasn't a big thing in Castlevania 3, but then neither was Alucard looking like a bishie.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By AlKusanagi

My only disappointment with it was the music. I want some sick-ass Castlevania jams.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen it yet but I really think they should be pushing the fact that the first two seasons were written by Warren Ellis (one of the top 10 comic book writers ever). My interest went from "slightly more than zero" to "must watch ASAP" when I found that out.

I used to know Warren when he ran a bookshop in Southend, Essex.

He introduced me to William Gibson (good call) and was working on a graphic novel about a gonzo press photographer at the time, which I presume turned into Transmetropolitan.

He's a good bloke with loads of talent, and he's done bloody well.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Deathstriker

Yeah, it was pretty good. It kinda reminded me of Berserk, which is a good thing, with an understandably evil villain unleashing a demon horde on a fantasy Europe and a badass human being the one who can take him on, that plus the violence/style. I've never played the games, but liked this a lot, I wish there was more. Apparently it was supposed to be a movie trilogy, their plans failed, and now Netflix has turned it into a cartoon series.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting episode 3 and am really into it. This doesn't mean I like anime does it...?

I wouldn't call it anime, it's done by Americans and I didn't get a sense of any "Japanese style" from this series. I did get that feeling for the Blade and X-Men animes, those felt very Japanese.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

I really liked it, looking forward to more.

Maybe I watched the hobbit behind the scenes to much but I could not un-hear two of the dwarves from the hobbit playing Dracula and Trevor. That drunk shovel guy also sounded straight out of a lotr movie..

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was okay, but not as good as I was hoping for. Honestly, I think they focused too much on the "stereotypical evil church" stuff. It was just cliche and repetitive. However, it was an alright start, and Alucard was cool. The last fight was also pretty dope, except for the incredibly abrupt ending. Barely even felt like a whole season. But I'm curious to see how Season 2 turns out.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rahf

First 3 episodes are lovely. My only real gripe is the Bishop which suffers from the same type of line readings that Aria (Carrie-Ann Moss no less) had in Mass Effect: an exercise in whispers and nigh-unintelligible enunciation, as if the character is constantly thinking aloud lines that are supposed to address others in the scene. And even though I like the characterization, it feels like the direction should've drum up his energy and just pure volume a bit to make it jive better. Now it feels self-indulgent and tough to understand.

Lovely first episode. Sets the stage well for our tragic villain.

*Edit* OH! And Sypha -- the lady Speaker -- has some funny inconsistencies with her accent. Full-on latina, compared to the softer accents of the other Speakers.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked it. It seems to be seriously trying to adapt Castlevania III into a serious story, while simultaneously remaining self-aware. The characterization of Trevor Belmont in this and the delivery of all his lines are really something special.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#34  Edited By Humanity

I know I'll get flayed alive for this but I wouldn't mind seeing an animated series based on the Lords of Shadow games.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Should I watch it if I'm not really familiar with the lore? Should I play all the games first?

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it, but like others mentioned the music was really generic. Also too bad it was only four episodes, it ended just when I was getting invested.

@humanity said:

I know I'll get flayed alive for this but I wouldn't mind seeing an animated series based on the Lords of Shadow games.

I wouldn't mind a series based on the first game, however the sequel should die in a pit of fire.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aktivity: that second game is something else in terms of story..

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Just watched it all in one sitting and I was blown away. I wish more anime had English VO this good - AND writing this fun. The script was hammy, but in a good way I think - and the main cast was all really likeable, which is hard to do. Animation quality was solid too.

Loved it - can't wait for season 2.

stanek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved the way they stuck to the 'Giant fucking gears everywhere' Aesthetic for Dracula's tech. Also, this was VERY Warren Ellis. Which is great

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ghost_cat

For those who are wondering:

I know a few people who work for Frederator Cartoons (the studio producing the show), and said that the second season should come out a lot sooner than you think. The studio doing the animation is located in Austin, and is an extremely tiny team, so they are releasing episodes in chunks due to a very small team and budget.

Now my input on the show: it rules, because unlike most anime shows, the story actually fucking moves at a clip. Good on the team!

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ryuku_Ryosake  Online

Now my input on the show: it rules, because unlike most anime shows, the story actually fucking moves at a clip. Good on the team!

Actually I was just going to say this show follows the anime pacing almost exactly.

Anime fandom has the 3-5 (depending who you ask and the individual series) rule which is the usual length it take for an anime to set up the premise, main cast of characters, the old status quo, the new status quo, etc. The argument being that when you leave that introductory stage there is usually a major shift in what the show will be like for the other 80% of the time. The most common things to happen are the introduction over promises for the rest of the show or under promises and it is fairly rare where the quality lines up.

I went into that to say I really can't form a solid opinion on the series from those four episodes alone. I can't tell you if they made a good castlevania thing until the heroes step foot in Dracula's castle. That's where the true castlevania begins. Four episode of character introductions didn't give me enough to know if that's going to be any good. The action was good but not good enough to completely carry show. I don't know if they got much left outside of action to fill out the rest of the show until the confrontation with Dracula.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

I would have loved more than four episodes, but if they keep the quality up and maintain the steady pace then they take take as much time as they fucking want.

@aktivity said:

I liked it, but like others mentioned the music was really generic. Also too bad it was only four episodes, it ended just when I was getting invested.

@humanity said:

I wouldn't mind a series based on the first game, however the sequel should die in a pit of fire.

I wish developers and writers would just stick to their guns when people wine. The first game was spectacular and the second one could have been just as good had they stuck to the original formula. And I liked the second game, it just couldn't measure up.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was alright but I really couldnt stand Trevor. It felt like his character was written by a 14 year old since his catchphrases tended to be "I dont care" "shut up" plus lots of fucks. I get what they were going for and his arc seems to be concluded which should make him a more tolerable character but I still dont like him. Come to think of it angsty protagonists are one of the main reasons I dont watch a lot of anime.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just finished the first episode. It is definitely more swear-y than I'd expect, but whatever, doesn't bother me. Trevor seems like a bad character so far. Maybe I just don't like his voice (Basing it from the start of episode 2 basically. Bad drunk acting). I like it so far and looking forward to watching the rest of what they have on offer before making a judgement call if I'll keep going with it once more episodes are out.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better than I was expecting for a show based on a video game for sure. Still a disappointing lack of flying medusa heads knocking people into pits though. Gotta get on that if they want to be faithful to the source material.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched it, and I don't usually watch animation (Pixar/Ghibli excepted and other than the kids movies I watch with my children) - that's not meant to sound judgemental, just to put into context that it's a genre I don't watch a lot of.

I thought it was pretty alright, I don't know much about Castlevania itself but this show had a cool vibe to it. Releasing only 4 episodes was a shame though. I agree with whoever above said that it felt like a movie that was broken up arbitrarily. The cut at the end of Episode 1 was particularly odd.

Looking forward to the rest.

SnakeEater321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SnakeEater321

So if Konami let this happen, do you think there will ever be a Netflix only Metal Gear Solid anime?

wintermute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I don't see any need for extreme violence over such an innocuous statement.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wintermute: I feel like people hate those games. Lords of Shadow is genuinely great and while the sequel was kind of a mess it was still pretty fun to play.