The new Linkin Park album is hot garbage.

• 90 results
Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Drekly

I'm not sure there are many bands that have evolved as much as Linkin Park, but I wish they'd just stop. If you listen to some of their early stuff (Hybrid Theory, Meteora) and compare it to now, you wouldn't think it was the same band. Now they just sound like a less talented Chainsmokers. Their new album is mind-numbingly average and I was actually bored listening to it.

Metacritic score is currently at 45.

Just a damn shame man.

Edit: Well, this thread sure made me go listen to more old Linkin Park...

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think the way the sound evolved from Hybrid Theory to Meteora was the right one that nearly all fans liked. I agree I haven't enjoyed any of their albums past Meteora which is a shame, they lost their unique sound in favour of more generic pop.

It's funny because Shinoda was on one of those "React" videos stating that songs from back then would be embarrassing to release in today's music scene which I disagree with. I think a lot of songs from Meteora would sound great today.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

In the end, it doesn't even matter.

The music itself is really just confusing. It's a whole lot of Hmmmmm...

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Mike Shinoda's opinions on your opinions, for context.

Loading Video...

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle:

Great video, Mike is an awesome down to earth dude.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya I was practicing drums yesterday and saw the new album was up and thought I'd just jam along with it...nope. This album is extremely pop. At least the first 3 or 4 songs were, I stopped listening after that. I would really need to listen again to give a full impression, but I really have no desire to after that initial sample.

I'm all for bands changing up their style, I probably liked LPs albums post meteora much more than most. But the songs I heard were just extremely boring pop tunes that could've easily been on a Katey Perry album (except not really because Perry's pop tunes are actually pretty good) and that is crazy.

What stood out the most from the songs I heard was that it sounded like a solo Chester album. There was almost no trace of a band behind him which is really weird. LPs whole thing was they were a real rock band that incorporated electronica and rap rather organically compared to other bands before them. The songs I heard sounded like every instrument was fabricated from some music software program. I really don't know if that is the case but either way it's shitty.

Well I didn't expect to wake up and write all that about Linkin Park but there you go...

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

NOTE: This post is copied from a post I made over at SimRacing Design yesterday when I was discussing Linkin Park with another member on that site.

For the most part, I basically gave up on Linkin Park a year after their Minutes to Midnight album came out. When I was growing up, I was hooked on their Hybrid Theory and Meteora albums and loved the band. I even purchased the special album they did with Jay-Z (Collision Course) just to hear the unique mashups of various LP and Jay-Z songs (Numb/Encore, for example). When Minutes to Midnight arrived in 2007, the music on the album was decent but it just wasn't the same band I became a fan of in the early 2000's.

The last time I made any serious effort to listen to Linkin Park was when their album A Thousand Suns launched in 2010. That album was a major disappointment to me as a fan of their early work and it marked the last time I purchased any of their content. The last new song of theirs that I listened to was "Castle of Glass" when the single was making the rounds prior to the release of their Living Things album. After hearing that song, I completely gave up on the band and nowadays you can catch me listening to just the songs from Hybrid Theory/Meteora/Minutes to Midnight.

Extremely disappointing to see the band I love change so much from what made them so awesome, but it happens and I have moved on.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Well, yeah, of course it is. This band hasn't been worth a shit in over a decade. Hybrid Theory was a great take on the nu-metal scene back in the day, and both that record and Meteora are still very catchy and listenable today. I was not into anything they did after that, but at the very least you could still call it rock. I listened to Heavy when they released it and there is absolutely no semblance of what this band has ever been. Apparently the whole record is the same lifeless, generic pop bullshit? I'm not sure who they're trying to target with that, because it certainly isn't their existing fan base.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found this over on Team Rock's site:

Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington has responded to claims that the band have “sold out” on their upcoming album One More Light.

The tracks Heavy, Battle Symphony and Good Goodbye from the record, which is out on May 19, have split fans’ opinions. Some have embraced their new sound, while others have spoken out against it, saying they prefer Linkin Park’s older material.

Now vocalist Bennington has spoken out about the situation in a new interview with Music Week (via The PRP).

He says: “We were asked, ‘What do you think of people who say you sold out?’ I don’t care. If you like the music, fantastic. If you don’t like it, that’s your opinion too. Fantastic.

“If you’re saying we’re doing what we’re doing for a commercial or monetary reason, trying to make success out of some formula, then stab yourself in the face!”

Bennington adds: “When we made Hybrid Theory, I was the oldest guy in the band and in my early 20s. That’s why I guess I’m like, ‘Why are we still talking about Hybrid Theory? It’s f***ing years ago.

“It’s a great record, we love it. Like, move the f**k on. You know what I mean?”

Linkin Park The band are currently on tour across South America and will return to Europe for a run of summer shows.

SOURCE:Team Rock: Linkin Park Responds To Angry Fans Saying Band Sold Out To Pop

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

System of a Down is the only band I can think of from that era that made music that's still good today.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still enjoy listening to Hybrid Theory and Meteora from time to time, and I actually like A Thousand Suns quite a bit, which seems to put me in the minority from looking at this thread. None of their other albums have hooked me particularly -- at least not on a first listen -- and I haven't heard anything off their newest at all, but I wouldn't say any of them actively repulsed me. I am all for them evolving and doing whatever they want to do, whether it aligns with my tastes or not, though; happens with a lot of artists I listen to. I have fairly broad tastes, so it usually doesn't result in me losing interest in their work, but every once in a while their new direction and my tastes diverge, and that's fine.

I tend to roll my eyes at people who think an artist or group needs to pander to an audience for their entire existence. Musicians should make the music they want to make -- it's how they got started in the first place -- and if existing fans don't dig the new stuff, then they can listen to something else. It's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed if a musician you like goes in a direction you don't enjoy, but acting like they're committing some kind of betrayal by doing so is definitely not. Not saying anyone in this thread is taking that stance; just my thoughts on the idea of musicians and their fans moving on (or not) from past work.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@echoecho said:

I tend to roll my eyes at people who think an artist or group needs to pander to an audience for their entire existence. Musicians should make the music they want to make -- it's how they got started in the first place -- and if existing fans don't dig the new stuff, then they can listen to something else. It's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed if a musician you like goes in a direction you don't enjoy, but acting like they're committing some kind of betrayal by doing so is definitely not. Not saying anyone in this thread is taking that stance; just my thoughts on the idea of musicians and their fans moving on (or not) from past work.

This is a big problem in music today. Not enough creativity and innovation. Artists/Bands aren't releasing albums at the same clip they used to leading fans to be disappointed if the sound changes leading artists/bands to play it safe. It used to be where people like Bowie or Prince would release and album every year or sometimes even multiple in the same year. Go check out how much stuff they put out back then. Maybe you didn't like everything, but there was always going to be something new soon.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only remember the "crawling in my skin" rock/rap stuff and sure this new stuff is pop at they come but it definitely sounds better than that IMO. I can hear these songs playing in some movie or tv teen drama.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I used to think that Linken Park had some good melodies in their early stuff, but lyrically I thought they were always awful. It was never my thing. Cool that they were successful, but just not for me.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Linkin Park and rap/rock has always been hot garbage, and this is a slight improvement, because it doesn't make me cringe quite as much.

I bought Hybrid Theory when I was in the third grade but that was like the third grade and I was super dumb.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No thanks, I have Beck for rap rock.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Wow, I thought this was an exaggeration, until I actually listened to the new songs. By the time they came around, I was already past the point of my life when Linkin Park would have appealed to me, but that's a shame for the actual fans.

From

Loading Video...

To

Loading Video...

As someone once said, it's nice to be liked, but it's better by far to get paid.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I mean on one hand I get the band wanting to evolve and how they don't want to be tied down to a single sound for their entire career.

On the other hand they rose to fame on a very specific sound that they've now completely divorced themselves from, yet they still make this completely different music under the same band name.

Then again I dunno, good music will defend itself I suppose. People love Kendrick and that guy basically doesn't have an identity at this point. I really loved MAAD City, then Pimp a Butterfly was something completely different that I didn't really want out of the Kendrick Lamar I learned to love, then DAMN came out and it was weird mellow rap which I dunno.. still wasn't MAAD City. So who knows.

I remember really liking Meteora back in high school, and skimming through this new album it's full of pop love ballads which isn't really my vibe. Good on them for making music that they enjoy, but I think some fans are justified in not enjoying this shift in tone as long as they voice that displeasure in a rational way.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@flasaltine: Wait wait wait, there's not enough creativity and innovation in music today? Have you seen the breadth of music that comes out each week? I seriously can't keep up. Anytime there's a "whatcha listening to thread" I feel like I haven't heard half the artists people are mentioning, and when I listen to them it's almost always really good and sonically novel. Methinks you need to broaden your horizons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought they sucked.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As much shit as I can give nu metal and rap rock for being fuel for teenage angst in the 2000's, Hybrid Theory and Meteora are oddly nostalgic time capsules for old motherfuckers like me who were into it at the time and are reluctant about still liking it today. So without listening to Linkin Park beyond Minutes to Midnight since I didn't like that album at the time, I'm biased in favor of their older material. But nostalgia aside, I've always preferred more aggressive genres of music compared to pop, at least outside of pop-rock groups Fall Out Boy, Green Day, Paramore and New Found Glory, so just the idea of a metal group of any name going for a more pop sound doesn't appeal to me. Not hating on it, just not interested.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By paulmako

@darth_navster said:

@flasaltine: Wait wait wait, there's not enough creativity and innovation in music today? Have you seen the breadth of music that comes out each week? I seriously can't keep up. Anytime there's a "whatcha listening to thread" I feel like I haven't heard half the artists people are mentioning, and when I listen to them it's almost always really good and sonically novel. Methinks you need to broaden your horizons.

I agree. There is so much new music being released every week that it's impossible to keep up and thanks to the internet it's easier than ever to check it out.

Edit: Also if Linkin Park released an album that sounded like Meteora today it would sound pretty dated. It's almost 15 years old after all. Not that there is any excuse if their new music is bad, but I would be more upset if they kept releasing the same sounding music.

PS: Linkin Park were always pop music.

PPS: Listening back now, the intro to Faint sounds a lot like the intro to another 2003 song, Toxic by Britney Spears.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shindig

Not to turn this into one of those threads about good bands going sideways but Everything Everything. What the fuck happened there, guys?

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Capum15

Huh. Just listened to some snippets of each song and...it's less bad than I thought it'd be, but way more bland.

Well it's not like Hybrid, Meteora or Reanimation have vanished from my library. Shame though, tried giving each album a good shot up until this one and liked a few songs in them, but none of these really hit for me. Hollywood Undead / From Ashes To New fill the gap pretty well though.

TheVeteran13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Unless they put out a new album I haven't heard, I have no clue what you're talking about Get to Heaven was a fantastic record.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Linkin Park have never been good but I think yeah they make EDM pop whatever now like some other bands actually, such as Coldplay. Their hit song right now is such EDM pop nonsense and the first two Coldplay albums were really good, okay.

Some of the songs on this kind of sound like Maroon 5 or something pretty funny.

As far as band go, you are hardly going to find a single one that is good for more than 10 years and especially not cohesive. I'm fine leaving that at some point and just enjoying the good years of any given band. I am a Metallica fan for example but I have a cut off point. I understand why bands want to make different music as they go along but when you are making shit like this it's very hard to artistically defend, especially when guys like the Chainsmokers are so lame. But there is some real musicians and smart people making EDM type stuff so I don't mean to hate on it all. It's just not for me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Justin258  Online

I don't think I've seen this much discussion on Linkin Park in a decade. I mean, it was probably somewhere, I just haven't seen it.

I liked Hybrid Theory and Meteora a whole hell of a lot as a kid. Minutes to Midnight was disappointing for me at first, but after several listens I got into it (and Bleed It Out was a fucking awesome song back then and I'm listening to it right now and it still kind of is).

I guess for me, I lost interest in the band before they started going into the "poppier" territory (they were kinda always pop, just with occasional screaming), so I don't really feel disappointment or anything for them. They just don't make music for me anymore.

Also I'm the guy who thought Opeth's new direction was pretty good, too, so I guess I'm not really bothered when a band changes directions? It's their music, their creation, let them shape it however they want to and if you're not into it, go for something else. There's so much music out there today and so many ways to find new stuff that if you want some good early 2000's nu-metal, someone out there has made some and released it.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just glad we're at the point that we can openly acknowledge liking certain Linkin Park albums on GiantBomb.com. We can caveat that fondness all we want, but in the end, we're still saying it out loud.

depecheload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katpottz said:

Say what huh

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katpottz said:

Say what huh

I've seen you've been listening to Beck.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it. I hadn't listened to it until I read this thread. Calling it hot garbage is a bit of a hyperbole, but the internet will be the internet, I suppose.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By Atwa

If you told me a Linkin Park album would be terrible in 2017, I would nave never doubted that for a second.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I should say that bands or individuals themselves aren't innovating their own sound. Sure, there is lots of diversity, but a lot of people are sticking to one sound.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@spaceinsomniac: I remember reading (or hearing) Liz Phair say she was tired of making the albums she was expected to make and she just wanted to explore a more clean and polished sound and she knew that she would get a lot of backlash for it. I can't blame her for wanting to do something different and I respect her for doing it knowing how much it would alienate her "true" fans. People tend to not realize that most musicians have a huge appreciation for different styles of music and want to explore that. If an artist spent most of their career making alternative music it makes sense they would want to dabble in more polished pop focused stuff. But we just say they sold out.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have such a sheep following, their fans will stay pay lots of money to see them live because they're a novelty. They can easily play it safe and shit out crap albums and make plenty of sales

sfw44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly did not know they made music after Meteora.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shindig

@shindig: Unless they put out a new album I haven't heard, I have no clue what you're talking about Get to Heaven was a fantastic record.

You can't seriously listen to Distant Past and go, "YEAH!!!!! NAILED IT!"

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant say anything about how much or little LP gets paid for their music direction because I don't know. It's possible their label pushed them to this direction but again who knows?

To me it just sounds like a creatively bankrupt set of songs by a band that doesn't seem interested in making music for most of their now more adult and musically mature base.

And that's fine there's other bands out there.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the bright side this made me find out Thousand Foot Krutch had a newer album last year (Exhale) and it's pretty good. Not quite Phenomenon but way better than Oxygen:Inhale.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fatalbanana

Here's some more context plus a good depiction of how LP has changed throughout their career.

Loading Video...

Something about their older sound just sounds more honest to me for some reason. While everything after Meteora seems to be the band trying to chase an underdeveloped idea of something that sounds to them as being unique, bold and envelope pushing... think Tool if they didn't have awareness of artists like David Bowie or Pink Floyd and what made them unique. Approximating creativity without adequate knowledge of how to stick the landing. And on top of that writing off all the people that criticize them as being stuck in the past and unable to grapple with them being the creative force they are. I haven't cared about LP for a long long time but fuck off with that shit.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By DinosaurCanada

It is actually kind of funny how generic it is.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Linkin Park when they aren't screaming - so the whole "it's too pop" insult is a plus to me.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait... are they the backstreet boys now?

depecheload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depecheload said:
@katpottz said:

Say what huh

Loading Video...

I've been writing about music since before most of the people reading this thread could read, so I'm not going to engage in a lengthy debate about genre crossover and naming conventions in popular music. However, the term "rap rock" has been, since the 1990s, associated with a heavy metal/rap combination that itself is associated with acts like Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock and Linkin Park.

Beck is a multi-faceted performer who often combines funk, electronic music, rock and other genres into his own unique sound. And just as often abandons it all for a mostly acoustic folk rock sound.

To call Beck's music "rap rock" is wildly inaccurate and, well, just kinda wrong. It's not.

And Linkin Park sucked in 2001. They suck now. They just found new and exciting ways to suck. This entire discussion reminds me of when people would whine that Avril Lavinge "sold out" like there was a moment where she wasn't pre-fab pop garbage. Kudos to Linkin Park for keeping it up as long as they did though. Here's to their inevitable show at the 2020 Ohio State Fair.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Hybird Theory and Meteora. I haven't liked anything since of theirs. I like the sound of the old stuff; I've never cared about feelings or lyrics or anything like that. It sounded cool as a whole composition, anytime I listen to something new it is decidedly different and not what I want.