#9101 Posted by Hunkulese (4008 posts) -

I like the bright cars, but I think it'd look better if the main pink was the pink they used for the accents. That BWT logo also looks bad.

#9102 Posted by rethla (3438 posts) -

Great new color but it aint very well designed. Still anything is better than the previous design.

#9103 Posted by laxbro19 (360 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Hey, guys. I have a question. In the old videos of F1 in the late 80's and early 90's, the drivers have what appear to be tv or computer monitors mounted to the car. Have any of you ever seen one these in the wild? What is on these monitors? What are they called? how would one see one or potentially get one? Are they just rudimentary tv's or are they wired to the cars' telemetry in some way? I've included a picture for reference.

#9104 Edited by Shindig (3962 posts) -

It'll be the official timings. They land flatscreens in front of drivers when they're in the pit. They could probably feed telemetry to them now but maybe not in the 80s.

#9105 Posted by Dave_Tacitus (1981 posts) -

@shindig said:

It'll be the official timings. They land flatscreens in front of drivers when they're in the pit. They could probably feed telemetry to them now but maybe not in the 80s.

It's either that or Ayrton coding Super Monaco GP 2 on the fly. There was basically nothing he couldn't do.

#9106 Posted by rethla (3438 posts) -

I do wonder if its some camera feed or if hes watching videos from his own drive. Looks like two inputs so maybe he can choose channel :)

#9107 Edited by Craymen_Edge (87 posts) -
No Caption Provided

I've only ever seen them displaying the official timing information.

#9108 Edited by isomeri (2769 posts) -

This may be entirely coincidental, but interesting nonetheless. McLaren have apparently approached Mercedes about maybe picking up the spare engines left available by Manor. At the same time, Mika Häkkinen has moved from his brand ambassador role at Mercedes for a similar position at McLaren. Could the stars be aligning for a mid-season switch of engine suppliers for McLaren?

#9109 Posted by Shindig (3962 posts) -

Sounds possible. Given Honda's recent history in the sport, I do wonder how much commitment they can theoretically give it. Might see this all get terminated via mutual consent at some point.

#9110 Posted by Ben_H (3926 posts) -

I wouldn't be shocked if they switched to Mercedes mid-season. McLaren can't afford another season at the back of the field. Some people are calling for them to be honorable and stick it out with Honda for the season but I think from a business perspective that's insane. They have way too much to lose right now to risk next year maybe being competitive. They still don't have a new title sponsor and battling with a team using year old Ferrari engines isn't going to look good on them at all when it comes to new sponsors.

James Allen had a good summary of their situation and options on his blog, and basically McLaren has three options, the first being sticking with Honda but flying in a bunch of outside people to make sure the engine actually improves, basically writing off the entire season this year and probably losing Alonso along with making it much more difficult to find sponsors and losing out on FOM money because they'll place so low. The next option is ditching Honda at the end of the season, which will improve their prospects for next year with sponsorship, but lose them the Honda money, still probably ruin this year, and still probably lose Alonso. Lastly, they can switch to Mercedes mid-season (he figures Spain at the earliest for races), which would require them to rework the entire back half and cooling system of the car, and would take a couple months minimum, but once done would allow them to score consistent points as long as their chassis is up to par, which, while losing them all the Honda sponsorship money and free engines, would definitely improve their chances of getting new sponsors and increase their winnings from the championship, and probably let them keep Alonso since he'll have a competitive car.

I'm most curious about the Alonso thing. I wonder how many races of engine failures or bottom 5 places it will take for him to exercise the car performance-related escape clause in his contract. Maybe Jenson Button will have to race again after all.

#9111 Posted by Shindig (3962 posts) -

I'm still kinda surprised he didn't put his name forward for Mercedes or Williams. He gives the impression of someone who really wants one last big run. Maybe he's got some good relationships at McLaren which kept him there.

#9112 Posted by Hassun (7881 posts) -
#9113 Posted by Falconer (2053 posts) -

I just hope they don't change the theme song. Love that tune so damn much.

#9114 Posted by Ben_H (3926 posts) -

@shindig said:

I'm still kinda surprised he didn't put his name forward for Mercedes or Williams. He gives the impression of someone who really wants one last big run. Maybe he's got some good relationships at McLaren which kept him there.

From the sounds of things, with his current contract, he's locked in quite tightly. Also, he's getting paid an insane amount and I don't think Williams could come close right now to paying anything big.

This article on Motorsport by Renault reserve driver Sergey Sirotkin is super duper interesting. He watched testing from the stands or from the Renault garage so he got to see quite a bit of the new cars running on track. He does acknowledge that it's testing and all that, but he seems to think the Ferrari is perhaps as good or maybe even faster than Mercedes in the corners. The Ferrari's apparently much more stable through corners than any other car, including the Mercedes, which is a pretty big deal when the cars will be going full tilt for much more of each lap now.

Also, kinda sad is that he mentions that the McLaren is among the slowest overall, but notably quicker in the corners than the slower cars, and even the lower end of the mid-field. That kinda confirms the suspicions that their chassis this year is quite good, but that their engine is the deal breaker. I really am starting to think they'll be on Mercedes engines by the mid-point of the season unless Honda can completely turn things around in the next month or so. Supposedly, the new Honda unit is weaker than the Honda unit used for the last race last year by about 45-50hp, which itself had a big power deficit to Mercedes, which means the new Honda power unit is likely down in range of over a hundred horsepower on LAST YEAR'S Mercedes unit. Oof.

#9115 Posted by isomeri (2769 posts) -

If Alonso does decide to take some time off because of the Honda situation, I have no idea who McLaren would replace him with. Vandoorne would benefit greatly from an experienced co-driver, even though he's been driving cars for the team for 4 years now. I don't see Jenson coming out of retirement, so the most experienced drivers available would probably be Gutierrez and Maldonado. I don't think there's anyone quite ready in their young driver program, even if they did want to take a bit of a risk with someone new.

The Manor assets, including their 2017 wind tunnel model, are going into auction.

#9116 Posted by Saladxaxsis (48 posts) -
No Caption Provided

I'll be attending my first GP this weekend, these are the spots I'll be at with the bundle I got. Only started following F1 since last season, looking forward to the race, seeing the new cars in action and Shift+F1! (returning/debuting?)

#9117 Edited by isomeri (2769 posts) -
#9118 Posted by RookSeven (2 posts) -
Avatar image for machofantastico
#9119 Edited by MachoFantastico (6283 posts) -

Happy to see they're keeping the podcast going.

Podcastormaldornado would have been an amazing name.

#9120 Posted by Karolis (303 posts) -

What's the Giant Bomb F1 fantasy league of choice? The one from previous years, grandprixfantasy.com, seems abandoned.