The Official Shift+F1 V6 Thread of Speed

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If Ferrari choose team orders then they have no idea about what racing means anymore. I doubt they will use them though.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Erikson almost just fishtailed right into the barrier because they seem to have no grip... ya this race needs a rethink...

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9353  Edited By Ben_H

I predict a lot of swearing about blue flags in the next 20 or so minutes.

edit: and now in clear air the gap is returning.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Damn it, I really wanted Kimi to win this race, but it's over now.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9355  Edited By JohnLocke

@ben_h: I must admit, bit odd how they did not blue flag Button when he was closer to Kimi than when they flagged Markus when he was in front of Kimi after the pit stops (it was too big a gap for me to be blue flagging Markus at that point as he had quite a big gap to the Ferrari so letting KImi pass would have left him a few seconds down on the lap).

Also, curious what you mean @dizzyhippos about changing the race? Monaco has always been a race of endurance of driver/car as well as racing each other.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9356  Edited By rethla

@ben_h said:

Hamilton didn't do the super soft strategy everyone thought he would. He's starting on ultrasofts. There must be a reason but it still is hard to figure out why he would do that. Pretty much every driver has said they could do a full race on the ultrasofts.

No start drama so far. Ferrari has a bit of a gap going already. Bottas has some wobbles going on. Not looking very stable. I can't see him catching them unless there's a safety car.

I think what people are missing is that while the Ultrasofts last an entire racedistance they aint guaranteed to be the fastest during an entire racedistance. Going 78laps on Ultrasofts only makes sense if you have a good trackposition to defend.

I think Hamilton was looking for an early safetycar and then go for supersofts the entire race and gain a few places by doing an racelong undercut. Being quickest when the others pit and it matters most. When that didnt happen i dont know what his plan B will be, just tough it out maybe...

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad to see Kimi basically strategied into being behind Vettel. I wanted him to win quite a bit. Hopefully he'll have more chances this season. He definitely has the car and speed to do it.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ferrari want to make that little boy cry again.

Danny Ric tho.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnlocke: Certain aspects of this race just seem to be the way they are because "they have always been that way". Passing is already incredibly hard in F1 and the narrowness of this street circuit amplifies it. I am also assuming the grip trouble that everyone seems to be having has something to do it not being a "proper" track.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9360  Edited By rethla

@dizzyhippos: I think the lameness of all the other tracks is a bigger problem than a narrow gripless track like this. If all tracks where like this and how they should be the cars would have to adept.

When its just one odd track they can throw it away.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: The track being "cool" is not a substitute for a good race. I will take a boring looking track that has a ton of passing room over an interesting track where whoever qualifies first wins unless they crash or there car craps out.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dizzyhippos: That is fair, although overtaking is possible on this track, just with how the new cars are set by the rules, overtaking is harder thus they can not sit behind each other as close as they used to. I get your frustrations, but, this is a track where one mistake can put you in the wall compared to most other tracks where a mistake leads to you running onto tarmac and getting away with it. I like the balance of both. How would you alter Monaco to make it more entertaining for you (I am curious what you would change)?

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Backward shots look amazing in Monte Carlo.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnlocke: I dont know the cities layout well enough to say, I know that you cant just straight up make the streets wider. I am not going to claim to have the answers to this problem but I would rather talk about it then just pretend this track is amazing. I do like the one mistake and your boned aspect of it, but that shouldn't come at the cost of space to overtake.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9365  Edited By rethla

@johnlocke: They could start with making tyres that work on the track. Then adding a few straights to allow for other setups than just "maximum downforce" and making different cars fast on different parts. The new artificial island that is being buildt seems perfect for throwing in 3kilometers of straights on. They can also remove a few chicanes but ofc they are there for safety....

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dizzyhippos: That is fair, please don't take my asking you questions as an attack or anything. I like Monaco, it is a tough track on cars and drivers, but, I get what your saying as well, it can be boring sometimes to watch when the field is not mixed up and the fast cars are just running away from the rest of the field (so not like today where Hamilton is midfield, or the Force India cars chasing the Sauber cars). I would put Monaco in the top tracks in F1 personally (alongside Spa, Monza, Monteal, and Suzuka) as it just makes an interesting curveball as top speed is not relevant and having a good tyre management and good low speed cornering grip.

Also, I hope Werhlein is ok.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Poor Jenson, but most importantly I hope Wehrlein is okay. Really weird that he is still stuck in the car.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wehrlein with some inventive parking...

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9369  Edited By Dizzyhippos

@johnlocke: No offense taken friend

Now that its confirmed that Wehrlein is ok I feel good making this joke.

Damn son I know real estate in Monaco is expensive but theirs got to be a better way to get waterfront property.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sauber having a great race then......

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9371  Edited By rethla

@dizzyhippos said:

@johnlocke: No offense taken friend

Now that its confirmed that Wehrlein is ok I feel good making this joke.

Damn son I know real estate in Monaco is expensive but theirs got to be a better way to get waterfront property.

If its just waterfront property you want you can get it cheap just a click to either side in France. Monaco is for dodging tax ;)

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: I did see something to that effect on House Hunters once, dude wasnt willing to walk like 200 yards to save something like a third the cost on a much bigger "flat".

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: True, although the tyre argument I would say works for all tracks (I don't blame Pirelli either, the FIA asked for tyres that would make more pit stops/degrade to have closer racing). Maybe making some of the corners wider could help as well.

Shame for McLaren, top 10 finish gone there.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9374  Edited By rethla

@johnlocke: Yeh they asked for more durable tyres but thats not the problem here. The problem is all the tyre sets are tailormade for the other 19 tracks on the calendar. Thats not Pirellis fault either but im not blaming them.

No matter if they go for low or high durability or many pitstops or whatever they choose, when they have a track thats so unique to the others they need unique tyres for it just like all the cars have unique setups for it.

The ultrasofts where supposed to be the "street track tyre" but thats just a fail.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to jynx it, but, people, Palmer is one place off the points!

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, was really hoping for Kimi to get a win. But hey, double points for Haas!

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was a great race for Monaco. Ferrari is back thank god.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GEEEEEENNNEEEEE HAAAAS

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok Dan, now get the Prince to do a shoey.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good race, driver of the day for me was Carlos Sainz, taking a not great car to the top 6 was a job well done. Unlucky for Vandoorne and Kyvat as they both had solid drives and probably, on the balance of things, deserved points.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole Ferrari thing is kinda tough to judge now that I think about it more. On the one hand, it might have been deliberate, and it appeared that way at first, but at the same time, Kimi did lose a lot of time to back markers after his stop whereas Vettel lost practically none. Not to mention Vettel did some insane laps before his stop.

Kimi definitely seemed dejected about the whole thing though. One of his interview answers kind of implied it was a team rule.

Hopefully he gets more chances this season to lead and maybe even win.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My immediate reaction was that Kimi didn't bother attacking the first corner when Seb was alongside him, in the pit lane. The words out of my mouth were "Company man, Kimi. Well played"

Rewind this thread 12 months and you'll find me saying how I don't like the Monaco GP. I like it even less now that the cars are Ben Pack wide.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9383  Edited By rethla

I think its silly to claim teamorder. Ferrari did what was best for both drivers and Kimi was out of pace as always and combined with some bad luck. It would have been wonderfull to see Kimi back in action but he wasnt. Also i wouldnt blame Ferrari for using teamorders as things are.

Verstappen ended up similarly to Kimi and while its ok to be frustrated because of bad calls it wasnt any teamorders.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

About to watch Indy 500, I forgot how American this race is. Stupid thing to say I know but comparing it to F1 is fascinating, but I love it.

I do love Alonso's helmet, good luck to the Spaniard.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F1 race was interesting, do feel for Kimi as I suspect the plan was for Vettel to take the lead all along but it's perfectly legal and makes sense for Ferrari to do that. Whatever anyone says, Vettel will want to be the Number One driver in whatever team he's in.

Given Ferrari's pace, I do worry that Vettel could run away with this championship. Hard to see Mercedes making such a vast improvement.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About to watch Indy 500, I forgot how American this race is. Stupid thing to say I know but comparing it to F1 is fascinating, but I love it.

I do love Alonso's helmet, good luck to the Spaniard.

Just saw a massive pick up truck trailing a giant stars and stripes around the oval and I just had to laugh.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F1 race was interesting, do feel for Kimi as I suspect the plan was for Vettel to take the lead all along but it's perfectly legal and makes sense for Ferrari to do that. Whatever anyone says, Vettel will want to be the Number One driver in whatever team he's in.

Given Ferrari's pace, I do worry that Vettel could run away with this championship. Hard to see Mercedes making such a vast improvement.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And already endless adverts, I remember why I stopped watching live Indy car now. So happy this isn't a thing in F1.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico: It'll be interesting to see what Mercedes do now, considering they've not been in this position since their recent dominance began. Canada's been a Hamilton/Merc track of late so if Vettel is quicker there, expect F1's equivalent of crunch time from Toto & Co.

Either that or write off the season early and concentrate on next year's car. I'd love to be in the meeting when they tell the drivers that one.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And already endless adverts, I remember why I stopped watching live Indy car now. So happy this isn't a thing in F1.

Yup. I lasted 2 commercial breaks and now I'm gonna wait an hour and then just skip all the ads on my DVR. On SportsNet they got to 10 laps in before a 4 minute commercial break.

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alonso's making this thing look easy. Even the American commentators are almost speechless at his performance.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alonso leading, looking pretty tasty out there right now. Decent pitstop to. Currently leading but a loooooooong way to go. Come on Fernando.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big crash at turn 2. Dixon and Howard apparently, car is wrecked. First caution.

Drivers okay it seems which is good.

Holy cow, that was a scary crash. Dixon couldn't do much.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jenson Button has been given a grid penalty for his Wehrlein collision.

I imagine he is just devastated over this revelation.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h said:

Jenson Button has been given a grid penalty for his Wehrlein collision.

I imagine he is just devastated over this revelation.

As long as he didn't pee in his car, I don't think Alonso will care.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh look, an Honda engine as given up. Wouldn't it be typical if it were an Honda engine that ruined Alonso's race. Apparently they've been having just as many problems in Indy Car as they do in F1.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9400  Edited By rethla

@machofantastico said:

Oh look, an Honda engine as given up. Wouldn't it be typical if it were an Honda engine that ruined Alonso's race. Apparently they've been having just as many problems in Indy Car as they do in F1.

Well good thing is Alonso have a fresh engine since his broke down during qualifying practice.

edit: scratch that