#101 Posted by mrfizzy (1666 posts) -

Oh an ad for Microsoft cloud telling everyone that its so good that the Lotus F1 team use it... awkward.

#102 Posted by jrht80 (11 posts) -
#103 Posted by User_Undefined (309 posts) -

@t0ffe: go for it. this race's crazy already, so what's a few tacos for breakfast?

#104 Edited by Jazz_Lafayette (3897 posts) -

Are imploding standings everythings typical for an F1 race?

#105 Edited by digitalerich (17 posts) -

On Sky it sounded like Kobayashi said he applied brakes and wasn't getting any response, so pressed harder and locked up. He also said he thought his tires might have been too cold. Interested to find out what the post race turns up.

#106 Posted by Mister_V (2441 posts) -

@mrfizzy said:

Just to confirm. I saw it but what exactly happened with Kobi? It looked to me like his car just crumpled by itself at the front which then meant he couldn't avoid Massa.

He broke too late, locked them and couldn't slow down fast enough. F1 cars cannot turn much at all while the brakes are locked, so he just kept going. Driver error is seems.

Yeah Sky interviewed him and he said it was his error. Broke to late.

#107 Edited by mrfizzy (1666 posts) -

Quote of the day coming from the Aussie commentators. "When you're the world champ chasing the world title and you can't even chase the Marussia that just passed you, you know it's going to be a long season".

#108 Posted by Freshershest (22 posts) -

Alonso must be licking his chops when looking at the young drivers in front of him on this restart. I'm sure the Tifosi expects some forward movement.

#109 Edited by dannyodwyer (458 posts) -

I'm gonna have to get Drew to move the podcast recording to 7am. There's no fucking way we're covering all this in an hour...

Avatar image for thatonedudenick
#110 Posted by ThatOneDudeNick (1563 posts) -

This is the first race I've seen in a long time. I don't know a lot about the sport (been doing a ton of research in the past few weeks though). As someone new to watching the sport, this is a very interesting race. Lots of complaining on the internet about the changes, but I think all the unknowns makes it fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
#111 Edited by deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c (3235 posts) -
@dark_lord_spam said:

Are imploding standings typical for an F1 race?

Not for the last 20 years..

#112 Posted by benderunit22 (1940 posts) -

Wooo, possible rain. Now it get's exciting

#113 Posted by datarez (861 posts) -
#114 Posted by Mister_V (2441 posts) -

@mrfizzy said:

Quote of the day coming from the Aussie commentators. "When your the world champ chasing the world title and you can't even chase the Marussia that just passed you, you know it's going to be a long season".

Is Webber commentating for the Aussies? Bet his reaction to Vettel going out was interesting.

#115 Posted by digitalerich (17 posts) -

I see a lot of talk from fans on the internet how this year's changes will "kill/ruin the sport." There were a lot of rule changes, anyone care to enumerate the specific changes people are pissed out?

#116 Edited by deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c (3235 posts) -

Ricciardo is going to win this race.

#117 Posted by deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c (3235 posts) -

I see a lot of talk from fans on the internet how this year's changes will "kill/ruin the sport." There were a lot of rule changes, anyone care to enumerate the specific changes people are pissed out?

Most of that talk is about the sound of the engines. A big part of the draw of F1 is the noise (trackside, anyway), but if the racing is like this, nobody is going to give a shit about the noise anymore ;)

#118 Edited by mrfizzy (1666 posts) -

@mister_v said:

@mrfizzy said:

Quote of the day coming from the Aussie commentators. "When your the world champ chasing the world title and you can't even chase the Marussia that just passed you, you know it's going to be a long season".

Is Webber commentating for the Aussies? Bet his reaction to Vettel going out was interesting.

He is a part of the team I think but not one of the main ones. I can only imagine has been grinning like an idiot for the entire race weekend.

#119 Edited by digitalerich (17 posts) -

@khann said:

Most of that talk is about the sound of the engines. A big part of the draw of F1 is the noise (trackside, anyway), but if the racing is like this, nobody is going to give a shit about the noise anymore ;)

Ah ok, thanks. Coming from the land of Harley Davidson I guess I can understand that, even if I don't agree with it. I think it's super neat being able to hear the cars reacting in the live cameras. You can hear almost everything going on with the car it seems.

#120 Posted by mrfizzy (1666 posts) -

Red Bull team just radioed Riccardo and told him to not save fuel and gun it.

#121 Posted by Mister_V (2441 posts) -

Ha! called it. Ricciardo been told they can go flat out till the end.

#122 Posted by jrht80 (11 posts) -

@mrfizzy: Was that on Channel 10? Must have missed that.

#123 Edited by deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c (3235 posts) -

#HitTheBeeps

#124 Posted by mrfizzy (1666 posts) -

@jrht80 said:

Yep. Also can any other Aussies on here comment on who Webber is working for? Swear I heard that he is doing some commentary for 10 but have seen no sign of him.

#125 Posted by computerandy9 (74 posts) -

@mrfizzy: he did some expert opinion stuff for channel 10 on Saturday. He isn't doing anything today. Australia gets sky sports commentary.

#126 Edited by jrht80 (11 posts) -

@mrfizzy: I saw him do a bit on 10 yesterday, but nothing during today's race. We just seem to get the Sky team.

#127 Edited by deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c (3235 posts) -
@mrfizzy said:

@jrht80 said:

Yep. Also can any other Aussies on here comment on who Webber is working for? Swear I heard that he is doing some commentary for 10 but have seen no sign of him.

I thought he was signed by BBC?

e: nope, that wasn't for commentary.

I'm posting too much.

#128 Edited by Mister_V (2441 posts) -

The forks on the front of the Lotus are not the same length. That really bugs me.

#129 Posted by datarez (861 posts) -

@dannyodwyer As you suspected we haven't seen any onboard telemetry mentioning drs or ers. I wonder if teams don't want it while their engine tech is so new.

#130 Edited by mrfizzy (1666 posts) -

I really cannot get over how much people are complaining about the engine sound. Im really new to F1 so I guess I don't know what I'm missing but surely the engine note should be a long way down on a list of why you watch motorsport.

#131 Posted by naqrin (49 posts) -
#132 Posted by Freshershest (22 posts) -

The penis noses are hideous but that Lotus nose is an abomination. Kill It With FIRE!

#133 Posted by Mister_V (2441 posts) -

@mrfizzy said:

I really cannot get over how much people are complaining about the engine sound. Im really new to F1 so I guess I don't know what I'm missing but surely the engine note should be a long way down on a list of why you watch motorsport.

For a lot of fans the noise is a huge part of it. It's less the note and more about the volume, These cars are a LOT quieter than before. That said i'm coming round to the noise. It's nice being able to hear the tyres screeching.

#134 Posted by T0FFE (218 posts) -

Wow, a lot of graining on the tires going on for a lot of teams!

#135 Posted by Freshershest (22 posts) -

@mister_v: If it's quick Lotus is genius, as it stands they are an abomination of technology.

#136 Posted by dannyodwyer (458 posts) -

@datarez said:

@dannyodwyer As you suspected we haven't seen any onboard telemetry mentioning drs or ers. I wonder if teams don't want it while their engine tech is so new.

I'm not sure. 33 seconds of ERS is a third of a lap, but according to the commentators it's the reason for many of the non-straight overtakes we're seeing. As for DRS, it's still being used on the straight for overtakes, but I imagine overtaking cars are using the ERS also to alleviate the front car's ability to defend with it.

I recon we're gonna learn a lot more about all this once the race is over.

#137 Edited by Mister_V (2441 posts) -

@dannyodwyer: Is the ERS still a button? Or does it just kick in when they put their foot down?

#138 Posted by naqrin (49 posts) -

@dannyodwyer: As i understand the ers is applied automatically when they accelerate there is no button and the car only uses it for 33 secs.

#139 Posted by T0FFE (218 posts) -

Dammit, I hoped the swede Ericsson would be able to finish..

#140 Posted by computerandy9 (74 posts) -

@mrfizzy: the old f1 cars and more so the v10 erra cars had a deafening screaming noise that was a lot of what made the cars so exciting. It is pretty dissapointing but I suppose we will have to get used to it.

#141 Posted by dannyodwyer (458 posts) -

@darkmelkor said:

@dannyodwyer: As i understand the ers is applied automatically when they accelerate there is no button and the car only uses it for 33 secs.

Not sure. AFAIK it's automatic but predicable, so how it's being used to overtake is beyond me. Hoping they go into it after the race.

#142 Posted by Freshershest (22 posts) -

It's a button, the driver gets an audible cue (a beep) in their headset when they are able to use DRS.

#143 Edited by deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c (3235 posts) -
@freshershest said:
@darkmelkor said:

It's a button, the driver gets an audible cue (a beep) in their headset when they are able to use DRS.

That's for the DRS, though. DRS lifts the rear wing flap to reduce drag. ERS is using stored energy to give extra power.

#144 Posted by naqrin (49 posts) -
#145 Edited by Mister_V (2441 posts) -

@freshershest: The DRS is a button. But the ERS (The updated KERS) is what we are unsure about.

As they have 33 seconds of it available it makes more sense to me to have it kick in automatically than have it on a button.

#146 Posted by Freshershest (22 posts) -
@darkmelkor said:

To expand on that....when working properly the driver can hold that button down all they want and nothing will happen unless they are given the OK to do so.

#147 Edited by mrfizzy (1666 posts) -

One of the penis noses has broken!!!

#148 Posted by jrht80 (11 posts) -

I might be in the minority, but I'm enjoying the quieter engines.

#149 Posted by Freshershest (22 posts) -
@khann said:
@freshershest said:
@darkmelkor said:

That's for the DRS, though. DRS lifts the rear wing flap to reduce drag. ERS is using stored energy to give extra power.

You are correct, my mistake.

#150 Posted by T0FFE (218 posts) -

@mrfizzy: That can't be good for the aerodynamics!