The Queen just passed away at 96

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

What a legacy she'll leave behind

Died about an hour ago at her home in Balmoral, surrounded by loved ones and family.

Klestigt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Did Big Ben blow up yet?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only express the same level of emotion as I had first reading it on Twitter.

“Well. Alright.”

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Not a fan of the British Royal family at all, but I also don't believe in speaking ill of the dead. She has passed, what judgement awaits is between her and her maker.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a sad day for the UK. Whatever your opinion on monarchy, she'll always be the queen that served her country diligently for 70 years, even though the position was unexpectedly put on her. A lifetime devoted to her duty and a fixture of British life for generations, it's the end of an era. Long live the king.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArmoredMachine
No Caption Provided

well, seems the U.K. has a king again now.

👑 King Charles III, succeeds the throne.

The queen is dead, long live the king.

dodecalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it, they're cancelling all the football! And changing all the stamps! And the money! And one word of the national anthem!

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You simply do not gotta hand it to the British royal family. No exceptions.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

As an American, it kind of always felt like the UK would have a Queen. Logically I knew she would eventually pass away, of course, but it still somehow feels like the end of an era.

Also as an American, this feels a lot like an "oh well" moment. This would have been a massively important occasion two hundred years ago but these days it feels a lot more like a celebrity dying. It seems like it will have just as much impact on the world as when Betty White died, something that probably isn't true but it certainly feels that way. What did the Queen actually do, anyway? Was she ever really involved in the politics of her country or was she genuinely little more than a public figure with little real power?

Vetsen86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: These are my questions pretty much exactly. Why does this matter any more than any other celebrity dying?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's a formality. Admittedly, a formality for the first time in my lifetime but a formality nonetheless.

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though the Queen had no direct political power, this is more significant than a celebrity death. A surprising number of countries still have the British Crown as their official head of state. It will be interesting seeing what happens to the commonwealth going forward. I feel like respect for Old Liz was the only thing keeping a lot of people in it.

shiyamiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyndbako: Didn’t Barbados just officially declare itself free of Royal Rule back in like November and it just sort of happened without fuss? I figure it will just be like that.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

As an American, it kind of always felt like the UK would have a Queen. Logically I knew she would eventually pass away, of course, but it still somehow feels like the end of an era.

Also as an American, this feels a lot like an "oh well" moment. This would have been a massively important occasion two hundred years ago but these days it feels a lot more like a celebrity dying. It seems like it will have just as much impact on the world as when Betty White died, something that probably isn't true but it certainly feels that way. What did the Queen actually do, anyway? Was she ever really involved in the politics of her country or was she genuinely little more than a public figure with little real power?

In my personal opinion, she acted like a public figure in public, while using her political power behind closed doors. People who say the Queen had no power, clearly didn't do enough research on her. Put it this way, no Prime Minister took power without first meeting and getting approval from the Queen, as one of her powers she had was the ability to reject and replace the Prime Minister on a whelm if she chose to do so. She also was the head of many commonwealth (colonized) countries with her face on the money, including Canada. These are just small examples, look up the powers of Queen Elizabeth II to see the full list.

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

queen's dead. parkour.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a Canadian all I can say is oi guv that's a real British thing right there innit? No disrespect to her, but you know...whatever.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyndbako: Didn’t Barbados just officially declare itself free of Royal Rule back in like November and it just sort of happened without fuss? I figure it will just be like that.

Yeah, they're still listed as one of the 56 members but they're taking steps. In terms of tangible benefits like trade, possibly tourism. Leaving feels like a final act of self-governance but it's not like Canada isn't solo enough.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a Brit, I can wholeheartedly say my response to this was "Ok."

I know she did a lot for Britain on the international stage, but I mostly react this way to news about people I didn't personally know dying. Hope the family can grieve as necessary.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the royal family holds much respect with modern generations, i'm a Brit and hold no connection to it whatsoever, my dad would always moan about them being paid with tax payers money, my mum is sad because she's a family oriented person, that's... kind of it.

I respect her for what she was like, always did her duties, had a cheeky sense of humour and didn't mind being made fun of, the people were always the focus of her speeches, and she looked like my nan. Most people pass away in their beds, but she was standing up, smiling and doing her duties all the way to the end and for a 96 year old lady that's badass.

My favourite image of her is from an old Hong Kong stamp i randomly came across.

No Caption Provided

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

As a monarch of the great renown and influence, she did a creditable job of ruling. Yet, we are all imperfect, so I mourn the woman, not the sovereign because of the great harm her monarchy did.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:
My favourite image of her is from an old Hong Kong stamp i randomly came across.
No Caption Provided

OK this is pretty good.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

It is always funny when hereditary monarchs die.

No gods or queens. Sic semper regina.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was nice to see so much support for the queen, her life and efforts today by the people that knew her, from many world leaders and from the British people at large. Even the internet trolls and fragile americans are out in full force in commemoration, peddling the usual brand of limp, toothless hate.

Luckily, the monarchy is not likely to be toppled by any amount of bleating from half a world away. To the people that want to deride the lifelong efforts of a dead old lady, fill your boots. Wallow in your hate and see what change it brings. Like the fly roaring at the lion, it achieves nothing and the lion will never even notice.

Nobody that matters cares about your disapproval.

dodecalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Piers Morgan parachute account spotted

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off, I'm not a royalist (I'm kind of "well I'm bored with politics today, what are these people doing"). But I think she carried dignity and decency well. She tried to advise the wayward family etc, much as my mother might. There was a lot of recognition from around the world, including the Dalai Lama, which for some reason I wasn't expecting in that particular case.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monarchists in 2022, we’ve come so far.

asylumrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People here are very hostile to the Royal Family, but I think people forget how much genuine good the Royal Family does. Heck, Elizabeth's second son was known for abandoning royal processions to help schoolkids cross the street on the way to class, you can just Google "Prince Andrew child traffic" and see for yourself.

This is a joke sic semper tyrannis

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a lot of hand wringing and "How can you be so heartless picking on some dead old lady" bandied about too and like... nah The Queen of England died you don't get to be anything more than that and all that it represents. Not in Life and not in Death.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@efesell: I feel like (not to assume which country you’re from) you’re massively understating the impact of the Queen’s death on countries in the Commonwealth. She has literally been one of the few constants in most people’s lives, a stabilising force in a changing world.

It is a huge change, and an important cultural moment. Let people feel sad if they want to.

(Obviously it’s also ok to joke about it. Moments like this are ripe for satire - I just think it’s silly to take a stance like “the people who care about this are wrong”.)

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Efesell

@tebbit: I mean that is mostly the stance that I intend to take.

I might accept that "wrong" may comingle with "misguided" in some circumstances but I'm not willing to give much more than that.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@efesell: well ok, lol. That’s very generous of you.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

See you again Queen Elizabeth II.

Loading Video...
Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, a couple of things from the wall-to-wall coverage I take to heart:

• Having a Royal family is profitable. There are people from within the country and outside who will travel and stay for days for the sheer possibility of being part of something. Royal weddings, the jubilee, trooping of the colour, etc. The curse bloodline must continue because these crowds exist.
  • There is no other monarchy like this. I know other European nations have active monarchies but ours is so wrapped up in pomp, circumstance, living history, active real estate and the very British psyche. Maybe it'll slow down as the Empire becomes less of a living memory but this hits all ages.
  • The public perception easily shifts over time. Charles spent the 80s portrayed as a man desperate for the throne. He was demonised over the affair with Camilla and Princess Diana's untimely death. Look at him now. 73 years old getting kisses off some frankly weird women whilst he greaves. And Camilla's by his side, accepted by the public.

That last one is especially nuts. It wasn't so long ago people were speculating they should skip Charles and go straight to William.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mekon

@shindig: Yeah they should go to William, he's got a good history of behaviour, and people like him and Kate. Tradition is what tradition does though. I reckon Charles knows he's disliked so who knows what might happen. We're all just spectators in this so who knows. As I've previously said I'm not a Monarchist, but when the UK is falling apart financially (and it was all over the news) it's a story to ponder over