• 179 results
Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Does anyone here share my utter disgust about this thing? People are throwing money at this because its "sooo funny" and "sooo ironic."I think its completely sad.

It just makes me embarrassed to be apart of a society where stuff like this becomes a cool trend.

Of all the people and causes out there that genuinely need money. How does shit like this fly? How is no one bothered by it? I guess im just surprised how much it bothers me....but it does.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It probably makes a legitimate point. There have been successful scams before and the fact that this KS is clearly specious indicates that people are too enthusiastic about throwing their money at projects on KS on a whim.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Does anyone here share my utter disgust for OP's misspelling of potato?

It just makes me embarrassed to be a part of a website where errors like this become a trend.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Why do you let it bother you? Willpower is a lot stronger than most people realize.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Max Temkin is wrong. There I said it. It is completely legitimate to have a problem with the Kickstarter model and this is a particularly good example of that. That said part of that problem stems from people advertising projects by giving them attention so the more it's talked about the more money it will get.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Potato Salad ain't potato salad without fried chicken.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TruthTellah
@benpicko said:

Does anyone here share my utter disgust for OP's misspelling of potato?

It just makes me embarrassed to be a part of a website where errors like this become a trend.

Yeah, I've been around here for years, but I might just leave the site, the Internet, and society itself if "patato" is the best people can bring in their righteous fury over others frivolously wasting their money on momentary joy like they do every single day. Spelling it "potatoe" is bad enough, but "patato"? Are we mad? Is nothing in this world sacred anymore?

How does crap like this fly? How is no one else bothered by it? I guess I'm just surprised how much it bothers me... but it does.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TruthTellah
@i_stay_puft said:

This guy gets it.

Is there a stretch goal for including Fried Chicken in his meal?

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell are you people talking about?

I reject all kickstarters on general principle.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I know it's clearly a joke but I think it makes us more aware of what people are willing to spend on and how far a joke can go. Sure this is a lazy thing, but it didn't really seem to intend to make money. It wanted to make commentary on kickstarter the same way Divekick does for fighting games. The difference being the effort and skill put into it.

So I'm ok with this existing.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mad you didn't think of it first? I am. But whatever... I'll never get easy money like that.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

There are many other things to get more mad at than a guy making a potato salad, the same way there are many people needing money more than a guy making a potato salad. People might as well get mad at us for buying GB subscriptions rather than donating all our spare money if that is worth getting mad at.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TruthTellah

@xpgamer7 said:

I know it's clearly a joke but I think it makes us more aware of what people are willing to spend on and how far a joke can go. Sure this is a lazy thing, but it didn't really seem to intend to make money. It wanted to make commentary on kickstarter the same way Divekick does for fighting games. The difference being the effort and skill put into it.

So I'm ok with this existing.

I agree. I actually appreciate it as a clear parody of the Kickstarter system and the trends we have seen develop. Subsequent jokey responses from the creator of it indicate to me that this was part of the intent all along. I'm not sure whether he's going to genuinely finish it and carry the whole thing through, but I somewhat hope he does. As an artist, this practically feels like performance art.

I hope the resulting live stream and potato salad merchandise will stand as absurd reminders of the challenges Kickstarter and other services like it face in becoming better and safer platforms for community funding.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd have backed a potato salad, but if it's a patato salad then I'm out.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have absolutely no clue what any of this is about.

And that makes me very, very happy.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I'm surprised KS have let it go on. One of their rules is you can't have a "fund my life" project.

If you're going to get mad at stuff like this though you should probably get mad at stuff like that rock simulator or anything else people are making as a joke to make a quick buck.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Is it funny or in good taste? No. Is it a really dumb thing to get really mad about? Yes. Is this the Internet? Oh yeah.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TruthTellah

@joshwent said:

I have absolutely no clue what any of this is about.

And that makes me very, very happy.

Basically, it's about...

Nah nah, I'll let you imagine with your awesome imagination all the wonders of the Internet. Take a moment.

It's pretty much whatever you just thought.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The only thing that upsets me is the numerous copycats that will inevitably follow. Most will fail. But some will succeed. And those will be neither jokes nor "commentary" on Kickstarter or anything of the sort. No, those will be people looking to make a quick buck because fuck it. Sure, people can spend their money however they want, but that doesn't make it any less shitty.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billymagnum: I think it's disgusting that people in the first world put their money towards that instead of helping people who need help, because either way as far as you're concerned that money is being pissed away, but at least when you give it to other people, you're at least bettering a life. If this money really does go into a potato salad party, it's going to be an excellent foreshadowing of why western society is quickly becoming a joke.

I'm fine with the joke that is being made by the creator. In fact, I think it's pretty hilarious. And I also think it would have sort of been funnier if this guy made like $100 and made more potato salad than he knew what to do with. But the amount of money going into it is pretty disappointing. We need to stop paying people like those contributing as much as we do, clearly. If you have money to just toss at stuff like this, you better be working your damned ass off. And lets face it, they aren't.

The creator should make this into some "feed the homeless" thing instead of a "lol internet hangout" thing.

Getting tired of America bitching about all of the hardships we "endure." And here we are with some goofball on the internet about to throw some elaborate potato salad party. Because a bunch of other people on the internet paid him to.

I hope America gets knocked down a peg soon, so we have to start fighting for our position in the world again. I'm getting tired of this bloated society. Even the parts of our nation less fortunate are full of wasted behavior and time and money, it's just a shame. With the position we are in we could be so insanely productive but instead of doing and making we just eat potato salad all day.

I'll probably make some potato salad because of this though so I suppose this pro-tato-salad agenda, this potato salad industry viral marketing campaign, has done it's job.

I can't believe I've never had my home made fried chicken with some good potato salad. I ought to do that tomorrow.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

Dumb bullshit has no place on the internet, no, sir. SHUT IT ALL DOWN.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeldh

I never heard of this, but if someone made someone rage over a potato salad I love this thing already. If you are complaining that spending money on this is a waste then you should stop buying soda, snacks and shit that just kills you.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrcaptain: The potato salad isn't the problem obviously, it's that he's been given somewhere near ten thousand dollars.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heyguys said:

@mrcaptain: The potato salad isn't the problem obviously, it's that he's been given somewhere near ten thousand dollars.

As of this moment, he has been given nearly $35,000.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Ughhhhhh...

And more publicity every second. How many days left to go?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Corevi

Kickstarter can never be taken seriously again.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heyguys said:

@truthtellah: Ughhhhhh...

And more publicity every second. How many days left to go?

25 days, and it only really got picked up by major news networks today.

I would estimate upwards of $50k.

(though there is always the chance he will cancel it at the last minute, having already made his point)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TruthTellah
@corruptedevil said:

Kickstarter can never be taken seriously again.

Sure it can.

Producers and investors have backed all kinds of crap throughout history, but they continue to do so. All stuff like this shows is that normal folks have about the same level of consideration as big investors.

Which, if it isn't clear, isn't very much. Though, at least in this case, people are supporting something silly and frivolous rather than something destructive.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@truthtellah: Or he could make a potato salad truly worthy of whatever amount he manages to accumulate by the end.

Of course, he could also just buy $35,000+ worth of potatoes and make a salad.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yikes! ive ruined my own topic by baiting the spelling nazis! PATATO LIVES.

but anyway, there are some good and valid replies for both sides mixed in with the prerequisite attempts at backhanded humor.

why does it bother me? it has nothing to do with will power, its not destroying me lol. its that i have a conscience, an over all feeling of right and wrong. i think its wrong. it doesnt mean ill be picketing outside of Kickstarter HQ or stalking the creator. I come here to share thoughts with a community. I think so many people get too caught up in being clever and witty instead of contributing something worth discussing. cut away at me but im here for good old fashioned honest and positive responses.

but hey, whatever you want.

The only thing that upsets me is the numerous copycats that will inevitably follow. Most will fail. But some will succeed. And those will be neither jokes nor "commentary" on Kickstarter or anything of the sort. No, those will be people looking to make a quick buck because fuck it. Sure, people can spend their money however they want, but that doesn't make it any less shitty.

this is a big part of it. totally agree. I'm expecting the flappy-bird-esque cloning to come. time to cash in.

@jarmahead said:

@billymagnum: I think it's disgusting that people in the first world put their money towards that instead of helping people who need help, because either way as far as you're concerned that money is being pissed away, but at least when you give it to other people, you're at least bettering a life. If this money really does go into a potato salad party, it's going to be an excellent foreshadowing of why western society is quickly becoming a joke.

I'm fine with the joke that is being made by the creator. In fact, I think it's pretty hilarious. And I also think it would have sort of been funnier if this guy made like $100 and made more potato salad than he knew what to do with. But the amount of money going into it is pretty disappointing. We need to stop paying people like those contributing as much as we do, clearly. If you have money to just toss at stuff like this, you better be working your damned ass off. And lets face it, they aren't.

The creator should make this into some "feed the homeless" thing instead of a "lol internet hangout" thing.

Getting tired of America bitching about all of the hardships we "endure." And here we are with some goofball on the internet about to throw some elaborate potato salad party. Because a bunch of other people on the internet paid him to.

I hope America gets knocked down a peg soon, so we have to start fighting for our position in the world again. I'm getting tired of this bloated society. Even the parts of our nation less fortunate are full of wasted behavior and time and money, it's just a shame. With the position we are in we could be so insanely productive but instead of doing and making we just eat potato salad all day.

I'll probably make some potato salad because of this though so I suppose this pro-tato-salad agenda, this potato salad industry viral marketing campaign, has done it's job.

I can't believe I've never had my home made fried chicken with some good potato salad. I ought to do that tomorrow

Agree. I feel like the only joke that comes out of these "joke" is us. No matter if you think its funny or not.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Who cares? It's not like if this Kickstarter didn't exist that money would go to a good cause. It's people in control of their own money and they gave money because they thought it was funny. That's their decision. To be honest, I find this extremely mild compared to the other things one can be spending money on. What about the 'trend' of paying 120 bucks or more on jeans that costs 10 bucks to manufacture at the hands of slave kids? That's infinitely more disgusting than this Kickstarter. Except everyone in the west contributes to the former making it 'normal', whereas only a couple thousand people contributed to the latter making it disgusting in your eyes.

Max Temkin is completely right. And I find it weird it has to be pointed out.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TruthTellah
@zomgfruitbunnies said:

@truthtellah: Or he could make a potato salad truly worthy of whatever amount he manages to accumulate by the end.

Of course, he could also just buy $35,000+ worth of potatoes and make a salad.

As some have suggested, I think he could donate the extra money to a worthy charity. Make the potato salad, stream it, send out the commemorative hats, and then donate the rest to charity.

Speaking of which, in the spirit of spending this money on a good cause, I would be remiss to not mention my up-and-coming charity "Plentiful Potato Salad for the Poor" which provides potato salad to the many who lack it.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achaemenid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Achaemenid

Potato salad kickstarter = Foreshadowing the fall of western society. Ok thread, got it. Thanks

Maybe you people who are obviously concerned about the state of the world should spend less time focusing your energy on moral outrage over individual conduct and try to understand what societal and economic conditions would lead to something like this happening? Not that I disagree about this kickstarter being gross, but getting trying to get individuals to choose to be more moral is not the road to change.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Corevi

@crembaw: Did she scramble her words before tweeting? It's undecipherable.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By thomasnash

I agree, when I saw it it bummed me out - but I had just been on a news reading kick when I saw it and wasn't particularly receptive to dumb internet shit.

As other people have said, I don't think the joke itself is a huge problem But the amount of money the guy has received points back to a wider thing about western society that we place more value on being entertained than being productive, or altruistic or helpful.

I guess the obvious thing to say is that we don't know that the backers don't give to charity as well? Is it a valid defense to say that you regularly give or have given money to charitable causes so why shouldn't you now give $20 to some guys potato salad kickstarter. On the one hand, the amount of money already having gone to charity doesn't really have an impact on the argument that this is an obscene amount of money to go on a nonsense - it's not like charities are bursting with coinage - but on the other hand as soon as I am making that argument I might as well look at myself and the money I spend on video games, or on films and whatever else: There's a point where you get so utilitarian about how your money is used that eventually you're not leaving any room for nourishing the soul at all.*

I suppose the best rationalisation I can think of is that putting money towards games and blu rays and books at least plays some part in maintaining the production of something. It feeds a system so that artistic creation (albeit sometimes a somewhat debased form of it) can continue. Giving money to this guy doesn't give you anything and doesn't support anything (beyond the norm). But maybe I'm only reasoning thus so I don't go insane and turn into a hermit.

*Apologies to the materialists among you, I don't mean to affirm any belief in an actual soul, I just felt that "mind" in this case didn't have the right connotations.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@truthtellah: Here's an idea:

Team up with potato salad man, buy potatoes, travel around the world while making potato salad for those in need, spread love and potato salad.

Everyone wins!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TruthTellah
@crembaw said:

I doubt that if people are kickstarting potato salad that weren't into kickstarting other things that they suddenly would if it didnt exist.

— Zoë ʻButtGameʼ Quinn (@TheQuinnspiracy) July 7, 2014

Exactly. While there is indeed something a bit sad and off about many people's spending habits(though who are we to really talk with our premium memberships and love of frivolous videogames), I think it's misled for us to believe that these people would have somehow spent this money elsewhere if this Kickstarter did not exist.

You can get frustrated over the absurdity of people, but honestly, you're basing that frustration on a false premise. That money is people's money, and if they want to give it to this guy to make potato salad, that's their choice. It does speak to how Kickstarter and other funding methods like it need to do more to protect people and help them make informed funding decisions, but really, this Kickstarter is at least not in any way deceptive. It's as straightforward as you can get.

A man is doing something which you will likely get little out of, and he is asking for money to do it. People are giving him the money and more, because that's the silliness that makes them feel some odd sense of joy in this crazy world.

Ultimately the joke -is- us, but that's pretty much the point. A lot of all this. Most that is here. Is part of that joke. A joke that often makes little sense, but a joke nonetheless. I can understand feeling like your morality makes you want to scream about the distribution of resources in this world, but this is humanity. ha! How mixed up. How mad. How frivolous. How sad. How joyful anyway. That joke is the point of absurd things like this.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Good post, will have to chew on that for a while.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TruthTellah
@corruptedevil said:

@crembaw: Did she scramble her words before tweeting? It's undecipherable.

Translation:

It's funny how many got mad that anyone gave her money after getting robbed(a worthy cause) while so many clamor for supporting a potato salad kickstarter(not a worthy cause).

People are wrong to blame the kickstarter for being stupid and somehow getting people to give their money toward it, as though it's immoral to give people another option to waste their money on. The assumption that people would somehow spend that money on more worthwhile endeavors is inherently mistaken. Most-likely, this is money that was only ever going to go toward frivolous things.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Corevi

@truthtellah: That makes more sense, and I do agree with that.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By mclargepants

If he makes good on the promises he makes, then whats the big deal? It's kind of genius actually, he's going to make an incredible amount of money off what is a silly joke, and this will almost assuredly never happen again.

I could be biased, as he's a friend of a friend.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Neonie

Potato Salad is still more legitimate then Mr.John Campbell.

dushanan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had money I would donate at least one dollar to this kickstarter. Maybe two. I think it's funny, and damn, can't we just have some fun sometimes?

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HeyGuys

@zevvion said:

Who cares? It's not like if this Kickstarter didn't exist that money would go to a good cause. It's people in control of their own money and they gave money because they thought it was funny. That's their decision. To be honest, I find this extremely mild compared to the other things one can be spending money on. What about the 'trend' of paying 120 bucks or more on jeans that costs 10 bucks to manufacture at the hands of slave kids? That's infinitely more disgusting than this Kickstarter. Except everyone in the west contributes to the former making it 'normal', whereas only a couple thousand people contributed to the latter making it disgusting in your eyes.

Max Temkin is completely right. And I find it weird it has to be pointed out.

There are bad things and then there are worse things. I doubt I need to point out that bad things are still bad and that because there are other worse things out there doesn't change that.