#1 Edited by Sweep (10343 posts) -

I was lucky enough to see Rogue One yesterday afternoon and, glob damn, that film kinda blew me away a little bit. I decided to sleep on it before gushing my appreciation all over the internet, but I woke up feeling, if anything, more pumped.

Rogue One is fucking cool

Everything about it, top to bottom, felt refined and well-considered. If you're a Star Wars fan then this movie gives possibly the best insight into an expanded universe. It successfully references the "core" films without leaning on them too heavily, and where Episode 7 felt a little family-friendly, even goofy at times, Rogue One isn't afraid to throw dark. While The Force Awakens was clearly pushing a new trillogy, Rogue One wraps itself up and slots so neatly into the existing canon that it feels like it was there the whole time. The result is a much more mature and engaging film, succinctly complimenting the original trilogy, and I loved every second of it.

For those of us that have spent countless hours playing Star Wars games, reading the comics and books that have filled in the gaps left by the films over the years, I feel confident in saying those people will appreciate this film. The big space fight was awesome to watch, and where previous films have felt a little muddled between different ships and groups, Rogue One shines a much more focused spotlight on each of the individual units that make up the rebel fleet.

As for the characters themselves, they are unanimously entertaining. Each member of the group is given their time to shine without any one of them feeling overplayed or overbearing, and their individual arcs, though understandably shallow, are rewarding to watch.

My one complaint would be the uncanny valley CG characters which were included. I think the majority of the VFX looks awesome, but there's always going to be that disconnect with full CG characters when you throw the camera right in their face. Maybe it's just because of my familiarity with the technology, but it stuck out uncomfortably for me. They did, however, completely overcompensate for this with the most badass Darth Vader sequence in any fucking Star Wars film, ever. Whoaly moly. Yes.

Anyway. If you wanna share Rogue One impressions and spoilers, this is the place to do it. Have at it.

#2 Edited by probablytuna (5000 posts) -

I felt the bow was wrapped a little too neatly at the end. It was a great moment seeing Leia at the end but then I kept thinking why on earth was she on board a warship in the middle of an active battle? Even if she volunteered you'd think the Rebel council wouldn't let someone as valuable as her be in a conflict like that.

Anyways, as for the movie as a whole, I enjoyed it much more than The Force Awakens. I liked the characters, they were developed just enough to feel sad about their demise and their death scenes were all pretty well done, except maybe Bodhi's. The heroic sacrifices reminded me a whole lot about the Noble Team in Halo Reach. I also really liked the way they addressed the structural weakness of the Death Star, even though it's kinda hard to believe that no other engineer would realise this weakness throughout the entire construction of the Death Star.

The music was rather weak this time around, and it reinforces my belief that once John Williams is done with Star Wars it's gonna be a huge blow to the franchise. Even if I didn't necessarily think The Force Awakens' score was all that special, there were still memorable pieces. (Edit: I just read that Giacchino only had about four weeks to score the movie after Alexander Desplat had to leave because of scheduling conflicts. That might explain why the score turned out the way it did)

One last thing, I thought the Vader scene was well shot, but it reminds me of the Yoda fight in Attack of the Clones. It was trying to portray him as a badass but just comes across as a bit clumsy with his suit restricting much of his movement. Vader is most menacing to me when he's towering over someone and verbally abusing them.

#3 Posted by YoThatLimp (2431 posts) -

I wasn't super keen on the movie, I'd give it a solid B- but alot of me wonders if it's just because I love the star wars trappings.

- I liked Jynn

-I liked the end tied directly into the start of ANH

- I liked they included the death stars weak point into the story

- i was impressed with the cameos by original cast members

- I liked that the Empire really came off as oppressive

- I did not like Forrest Whittiker or samurai jedi

- main lead dude was not great

- sometimes it felt like it tried to lean too heavily on the emotional story telling though I personally didn't feel like it earned it, so it felt a little flat at times. It must be super hard trying to tell an engaging story with full archs in 2 hours

#4 Posted by Phoenix654 (489 posts) -

Saw it at 7pm mountain time, came out feeling incredibly positive on the whole experience. Yes, the bow is tied a little too neatly at the end, but it also left me with a huge grin on my face. Seeing CG Peter Cushing as Tarkin was very impressive, as well as young Leia at the end, though I thought Vader's costume looked a little... off. I can't explain it, maybe I'll be able to articulate it after seeing it again... tomorrow. His slaughtering Rebel soldiers in a hallway scene was something that has been absent from the Star Wars film canon for far too long and I was glad to see it happen. We so rarely see Vader being... VADER in the films. His power is often unspoken or just general "I'll strangle you if you fuck up" menace, so it was nice to see him cut loose and slice some dudes down with his lightsaber. The newly introduced characters were interesting in their own ways, though I think Forrest Whittaker was a bit under utilized. I actually enjoyed blind force sensitive samurai guy (honestly cannot recall his name) and his machine gun blaster toting buddy (again, can't recall the name).

It's a fun, improbable, original series romp through a galaxy far, far away. Hard to say if it tops Force Awakens, but it sets a nice tone for what the anthology spin off films will (hopefully) be like; damn good.

#5 Edited by probablytuna (5000 posts) -

@phoenix654: Vader certainly looked weird to me as well. I think it might have something to do with his helmet. From looking at this image, it seems way too big for the actor, like a kid wearing an adult size helmet.

No Caption Provided
#6 Edited by Ares42 (3827 posts) -

@sweep said:
While The Force Awakens was clearly pushing a new trillogy, Rogue One wraps itself up and slots so neatly into the existing canon that it feels like it was there the whole time.

If you ask me it felt more like it elbowed itself in something fiercely. Considering how badly this movie retcons A New Hope I'm surprised I've barely seen anyone even talk about it (outside of just the technology stuff). I get that they wanted the big "Star Wars™" battle (and they do it really well), but it's just so misplaced.

As for the movie itself I think I need to see it again to make up my mind, but my first impression was that it was messy. It starts off trying to not to be a "Star Wars™" movie (and considering the part of the story it's supposed to cover it shouldn't be), but then as it goes along it just veers more and more into traditional Star Wars. In many ways it came off as more or less exactly what's on the box, a "fan fiction" movie. It starts of with some good ideas, but ultimately end up just being fan service 'cuz that's what people really want.

That's not to say there aren't some great moments and good action, but the writing was fairly mediocre. Like the big speech Cassian has in the middle of the movie just felt completely unnatural, and I don't even know what to say about Brothers Monk and Mini-gunner. Also, while Star Wars certainly has had its share of stupidly designed technology in the past, some of the stuff with the antenna and the shield and signal etc in the final act must be near the top of that list.

Overall I think I'll end up liking it about as much as I like Attack of the Clones. They share fairly similar strengths and weaknesses.

#7 Posted by Sarnecki (1287 posts) -

SO DAMN GOOD.

#8 Edited by Fram (1680 posts) -

Really enjoyed this, already keen for a second viewing. I absolutely loved how they turned a seemingly dumb detail from A New Hope (that the Death Star has a terribly designed weak point) into the crux of this film in a way that made total sense. It accomplished the rare feat of being a prequel that enriched the original rather than demystify it.

#9 Edited by Blackout62 (2136 posts) -

There was so much beautiful cinematography in this film that I feel like I'm going to be dissapointed come the next one. I want like five more shots of perfectly framed Imperials standing in a silent room watching a planet get mildly Death Starred. Give me more delicate painterly sense of balance and placement.

#10 Edited by marc (847 posts) -

@fram said:

Really enjoyed this, already keen for a second viewing. I absolutely loved how they turned a seemingly dumb detail from A New Hope (that the Death Star has a terribly designed weak point) into the crux of this film in a way that made total sense. It accomplished the rare feat of being a prequel that enriched the original rather than demystify it.

Came here to say that one very thing. The Death Star weakness is the one part of A New Hope that I always found silly. This movie put a reason behind that and I thought it was awesome.

Despite the fact that we knew how it was going end, they managed to make the ending the best part of the movie.

#11 Posted by Fram (1680 posts) -

@marc: Hot damn, when that final star destroyer warped in, the whole sequence with Vader in the hallway. There was real fear and awe in that scene.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
#12 Posted by Anonymous_Jesse (257 posts) -

I love the movie so much. It's so good.

#13 Posted by trimoe19 (1 posts) -

I really enjoyed it. Probably give it a 9/10. My mvp was K-2. Such a good use of comic relief. My biggest disappointment was with the initial Darth Vader scene. He cadence felt really off, maybe not enough voice modulation/breathing apparatus. Highlights are definitely the amount of detail to really nerd out on. Feels like fans are going to really pick this apart and enjoy multiple viewings. The space battle sequence was so cool and epic. The last Vader scene was sooooooo gooooood! Felt like Gareth Evans going straight horror movie.

#14 Posted by tatsuyarr (209 posts) -

I loved it but the music sounded a bit off to me, I don't know how to explain it but it didn't sound like 'Star Warsy' enough. Maybe I would have prefered something ressembling more the usual soundtrack but a bit darker.

#15 Edited by selbie (2505 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

@phoenix654: Vader certainly looked weird to me as well. I think it might have something to do with his helmet. From looking at this image, it seems way too big for the actor, like a kid wearing an adult size helmet.

No Caption Provided

I noticed that too. It looked like the suit didn't quite fit the actor or something. It was as if Darth Vader had just woken up from a hangover :P
I also thought it was odd that he didn't have his robotic limbs yet (the same tech that brought back Luke's hand). Besides that I liked the imagery of him in the tank though. It really sold his twisted evil persona.

#16 Posted by dudeglove (13192 posts) -

I saw it last night, and found it totally serviceable, but it felt both a parody of a Star Wars film, not to mention the not-very-timely references to Iraqistan/Abu Ghraib/War on terror, as well as completely hamstrung by this bizarre need to make obnoxious references to the "main" story, which were totally unnecessary, because the film didn't need that and reeks of executive meddling to cross pollinate the fucking franchise. None of that fan service shit was needed.

With the exception of the main lady person and dopey looking rogue man (and bad white cape man) who all got undercharacterized, and the dreadful delivery of exposition, the supporting characters were all great. I never expected to see the Four Lions dude in another film, while Donnie Yen and Donnie Yen's machine gun bro were charming without being nauseating, and Forest Whittaker's overacting was great for what little there was of him. The action scenes were coherent to boot, and I'm almost surprised they had the balls to end the film the way that they did (though by the halfway point it kinda became obvious that was how they had to end it).

I give it like 3/5?

Avatar image for nietzschecookie
#17 Posted by NietzscheCookie (93 posts) -

Positives: I thought the robot was funny and Donnie Yen was cool. I like the U-wing too, it transforms like an x-wing but has space for you and some friends. It fixed some plot holes in the original trilogy.

Negatives: CG characters are going to give me nightmares. Psychic octopus?? Planet shield with a gate that opens and closes is straight out of Spaceballs- the Mel Brooks star wars parody. The resonating character arc with her father is wrapped up within the first half of the film-why not save Mads Mikkelsen's holo-speech and death for the third act? I stopped caring about anything after he dies as we knew how the film would end.

Overall I'd say 3/5 stars.

#18 Edited by Zirilius (1633 posts) -

The only real issue I have with the movie is if they never really introduce you the Rogue One crew in any great detail. Granted you don't really need it but I'd have liked to known even the tiniest amount more about them.

Things I liked a whole lot.

• K-2S0 might have surplanted himself as my favorite Star Wars droid.
  • Everything Darth Vader related. They really added to the mystique of what makes him such a bad ass. The final shot of him was freaking amazing.
  • Governor (Moff) Tarkin
  • The entire Battle of Scarif. First large scale Star Wars battle they got right since Battle of Hoth.
  • U-Wing was way more impressive than the Tie Striker.

Things I disliked but didn't detract from my viewing experience.

• Without knowing who Saw Gerrera is Forrest Whitaker's character feels like a throw away character. Same could be said about Galen.
  • I actually thought the lack of a crawl was a bad choice. We could have got a small glimpse of what Cassian is doing on the starting planet and the state of the galaxy.
  • The planetary shield gate...transmission code 1,2,3,4,5
  • I really wanted to see how the Kyber crystals fit into the Death Star's design. I also wanted Jyn's necklace to have more meeting since they put a lot of emphasis into it early in the movie.
#19 Posted by Omega (909 posts) -

Just as a warning to anyone who was crazy enough to click on a thread marked spoilers but didn't see the movie, ending spoilers incoming:

I really liked the movie but I found it horribly depressing. The main theme of the movie was hope but I just felt depressed as innocent people were slaughtered the whole movie and the heroes are people who have lost everything and feel the only thing left for them is to die for their cause. On top of all that they all die in the end. I think the most tragic part is that in the end Jyn and Andor seem to find a reason to live on but by then it's too late and all they can do is hold hands as the fire consumes them. I understand it is meant to be wrapped up in the original trilogy but due to that this movie doesn't give us the satisfaction that the heroes sacrifice was meaningful. It does serve to remind us that pretty much anyone not in the Skywalker sphere of influence is just cannon fodder in the Star Wars. I guess I'm used to Star Wars being a fantasy adventure movie where when heroes die it's in a grand sacrifice to save the lives of the ones they love. I wasn't ready for the "Wars" part of Star Wars where sometimes success means you don't live to fight another day.

#20 Edited by haxdax (108 posts) -

Darth Vader saying "Try not to choke on your aspirations" while force choking that guy made me laugh so hard.

All I could think of was this.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
#21 Edited by charlie_victor_bravo (1670 posts) -

Did anyone get what the point of the tentacle monster was and why the pilot did not loose his mind because of it's probing?

#22 Posted by Zirilius (1633 posts) -

Did anyone get what the point of the tentacle monster was and why the pilot did not loose his mind because of it's probing?

I think it could create some sort of mental connection with the pilot and if he was lying would either inject something into him or cause some sort of mental condition where they go insane. Obviously the pilot didn't lie hence why he didn't go crazy.

#23 Edited by charlie_victor_bravo (1670 posts) -

@zirilius: OK, that makes more sense. The way I thought I heard it, was that the monster reads the mind and in the process you will loose your mind.

Still, kind of strange scene to have without any pay off. Maybe it originally was supposed to be that that pilot would be cooky or "blank" and resistance would use him in unethical way for the cause (like reprogramming the droid)?

#24 Posted by Darth-Malum (94 posts) -

I just saw this movie and I'm trying to think about it critically, but it's difficult; I genuinely believe it's the best Star Wars movie that's ever been made, the empire felt more oppressive than it ever has. The presence of Vader though small, was VERY impactful, though I do agree his costume looked off, I think it was the way has helmet sat on the costume, there was no chain connecting his cape.

But yes that scene at the end with Vader was just... FUCKING amazing! It was just terrifying and badass.

#25 Posted by Zirilius (1633 posts) -

@charlie_victor_bravo: I think they were trying to use that scene to establish that the pilot was trustworthy but it does come off a bit confusing.

#26 Posted by inevpatoria (7209 posts) -

That final Vader sequence is going to be a seminal moment for this revitalized Star Wars franchise. Absolutely harrowing.

#27 Posted by Junkerman (466 posts) -

This is the starwars movie I've always wanted to see. I think its greatest achievement is providing the emotional weight the rest of the movies sorely needed to illustrate what is at stake in the greater conflict. Its smartly written and doesn't talk down to the audience.

They can do whatever they want to the franchise now that this has been made. Its a great relief to see something that you love tweaked the way you've always wanted it and I'm at peace knowing this movie will always exist.

#28 Posted by liquiddragon (2552 posts) -

Woah, can't believe how positive the response is. As someone who's seen the movies but don't have any reverence for the series, this thing was unbelievably boring. Absolute snorefest.

#29 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1670 posts) -

@zirilius: It is specially confusing if you think it film making wise. Render + practical work for that monster was not cheap. It was screen time-wise also very non-economical way of doing that. There is also the part where 1)pilot helps to navigate to the secret base, 2)pilot questions morals of the captain about the sniping 3)finally he shoots the troopers and says ~"I guess I am finally a rebel".

If the rumors of 40% of re-shoots are true, it makes me wonder if this was something that was changed. One thing that makes this stranger is that the pilot does not seem to be in the original trailer, but rest of the characters do:

Loading Video...

Forrest Whitakers character also looks different so maybe they re-shot those scenes and maybe messed with the pilot at when doing that.

#30 Edited by FrostyRyan (2595 posts) -

Absolutely loved it. It was choppy for a while near the beginning, and the characters aren't all terribly interesting, but that's saved because of the movie's incredible final act.

Vader's scene made me cry it was so good.

#31 Edited by boatorious (179 posts) -

@charlie_victor_bravo: Yeah, it was weird that the pilot was one of the major characters and if he was in a trailer (not sure he was) he was never portrayed that way.

I also missed that great read from Forrest Whitaker "What ... will you do" that was in the trailer. In fact, it seemed like they had changed his role from discouraging Jyn to encouraging her.

Was also funny that the Death Star, which engineering-wise is everything mankind has ever built times a thousand, was completely designed by like seven dudes.

Most of Jyn's speeches were lame. CG People was a bit distracting, though occasionally it worked great (showing pilots from ANH). In general the ANH tie-ins were cool, and I liked that it ends literally moments before ANH, though it makes part of the beginning of that movie not make sense (conversation that Vader and Leia had does not make a lot of sense if Vader was just chasing her ship after a battle).

Overall I enjoyed the movie. Was glad that they were willing to kill off the characters. There was another movie this year that should have done that but didn't.

#32 Posted by Phoenix654 (489 posts) -

@selbie said:
@probablytuna said:

No Caption Provided

I noticed that too. It looked like the suit didn't quite fit the actor or something. It was as if Darth Vader had just woken up from a hangover :P

I also thought it was odd that he didn't have his robotic limbs yet (the same tech that brought back Luke's hand). Besides that I liked the imagery of him in the tank though. It really sold his twisted evil persona.

Maybe that's why he was in the tank... hangover recovery. I didn't recall seeing his neck chain, the one that holds his cape across his neck... maybe that's what threw me. Also, the mask does look weird at that lower point just under his chin. Still, nice to see him (and hear James Earl Jones reprising the role).

#33 Posted by FrostyRyan (2595 posts) -

@selbie said:

I also thought it was odd that he didn't have his robotic limbs yet (the same tech that brought back Luke's hand).

What makes you say that? The first thing they do to Anakin is give him robotic limbs in Revenge of the Sith. And here, he clearly has robotic limbs because...well, you see him in the movie walking around and you know...having arms and legs. Clearly those are robotic. Anakin's were all cut off.

Only reason he didn't have arms in the tank was because he was taking a bath and they probably attached them when he suited up.

#34 Edited by Zirilius (1633 posts) -

@frostyryan said:
@selbie said:

I also thought it was odd that he didn't have his robotic limbs yet (the same tech that brought back Luke's hand).

What makes you say that? The first thing they do to Anakin is give him robotic limbs in Revenge of the Sith. And here, he clearly has robotic limbs because...well, you see him in the movie walking around and you know...having arms and legs. Clearly those are robotic. Anakin's were all cut off.

Only reason he didn't have arms in the tank was because he was taking a bath and they probably attached them when he suited up.

No Caption Provided

Don't forget even if his limbs are robotic they can skin graft like they do with Luke's hand at the end of Empire. Why they would need to do this for Vader is beyond me but it's still something that could be done.

I also thought he had his arms in the tank? Did I miss that?

#35 Posted by FrostyRyan (2595 posts) -

@zirilius: I faintly saw arm stubs and not whole arms but it was steamy so who knows

#36 Posted by Zirilius (1633 posts) -

@frostyryan: Yeah that's what I was noticing too was as the as the Bacta tank draining there was a ton of steam. If I watch it again I'll keep a closer out again.

#37 Posted by ht101 (1865 posts) -

This movie was really great. The only part I didn't really like was how Saw just felt like he was pushed in there to give an amazing actor like Forrest Whitaker a spot in the movie.

The CG characters were both great(Tarkin did not look at all like a CG face to me) and horrendous(Leia was awful).

The characters I felt were well developed for the number they had except for the Imperial pilot turned defector. He was just there it seemed to me. K2 was probably my favorite character with Donnie Yen's character being the 2nd best of the main cast.

Darth Vader was amazing and the final 10 minutes of the movie I was just sitting in the theater with my mouth wide open. I was awestruck that we actually got to see Vader be a true badass, which we had never seen before in any of the movies.

Overall, the movie was an excellent addition to the Star Wars universe and I have complete faith that Disney will continue to allow the Star Wars Story movies to try new things while we get the normal trilogy feel from the numbered sequels.

4.5/5

#38 Edited by csl316 (14464 posts) -

Really picked up steam in the second half. Thought some of the humor and references were dumb, but everything else was quite well done.

#39 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (363 posts) -

So.... I'm the only one that thought it was a bit ass then? I'm hereby dubbing Gareth Edwards a Fun Vampire. This is two franchises now that I absolutely adore that he has used to make 2 hours of pure drudgery in film form. The only things I truly enjoyed in that film were the novelty of seeing rebel and empire forces fighting in a tropical location and Vader's final scene which just about balances out his hideously ooc earlier scene). I'm not sure this film even makes it to a 6/10 for me...

#40 Edited by Xdeser2 (319 posts) -

I loved this movie so much. It ticked all the right boxes for me. I could talk about the ending, or Vader, or how it builds intelligently on the worldbuilding of the series, but this is what I'm going to get at:

Star Wars is at its best when it throws dark. Partly because the rest of the series is so dominated by hopeful narratives, but also because Star Wars itself is a Dark universe. Think about it - Its a universe where both the Republic and the Empire were completely incapable of governing, wealth inequality is fucking staggering, there is no labor power or movement, corporations control everything, slavery is commonplace and unchallenged, technological progress stagnates for thousands of years at a time, and to top it all off every hundred years or so a monastic group of warriors splits apart and fights wars that kill billions and consume entire worlds. When the series engages with this, whether thats in Empire Strikes Back or KOTOR 2 or here, it gets better, and expands the feel of the universe in a rich and intelligent way.

I mean, that Vox headline that said something like "This is the first Star Wars movie that's about War" got its (rightful) share of shit on Twitter, but that really nails the feel of this movie. It really feels like it was aimed at Star Wars fans, rather than just the occasional moviegoer, and it pulls no punches. It throws dark and gritty, and impressively it doesn't feel like a generic "Dark Gritty reboot", it feels like a more adult take on the formula of the series.

Also, fuck, man I know I just said it feels like a more adult movie but Vader has a fucking Lava castle and he just fucking cuts through those rebels at the end like nobody's business, man that was cool. I feel like even Jeff would enjoy parts of the movie.

I guess if I had to criticize anything, it would be the score, which is pretty generic. Also, James Earl Jones just didnt seem like he had it in him to do that Vader voice, like they should have done another take or two on the V.O. I wasn't entirely convinced it was him until I saw the credits.

#41 Posted by pkmnfrk (297 posts) -

I liked this movie better than Episode 7. Yeah, I went there.

+ The final Vader scene was completely awesome

+ The plot felt a lot more... believable than Episode 7. No galaxy-spanning death lasers here!

+ The entire battle on the last planet was fantastic

- On the other hand, something about the imperial archive plot seemed kind of insane to me. Oh no, we're trapped because of the shield, the only way to get these plans out is to transmit them, which requires the rebel fleet to destroy the shield. But, we're still trapped for some reason!

- And, what WAS the deal with the tentacle monster? The pilot was clearly... out of his mind in the jail, but makes a miraculous off-camera recovery! I guess you only go temporarily insane?

Anyway, great movie, 4/5, would (and probably will) see again!

#42 Posted by atomicoldman (778 posts) -

That final bit with Vader did more to sell how terrifying he is than any other piece of Star Wars related media I've consumed, holy christ. Another bit that stood out to me was ramming that corvette into the Star Destroyer, and the whole collision with the shield generator. It's the kind of tactic that speaks to how dirty the rebels have to fight, while also looking rad as hell.

There were a few things that bugged me, mainly digital Tarkin and Leia just looking jarring as all hell. There not being an opening crawl felt odd too. I don't mind the idea of a cold opening in a Star Wars movie, and I think it's a great idea to do something different to establish that this is a side story, but it diverged in a way that stole the immediate impact you get from one of these movies. That said, none of those things really impacted my overall enjoyment in any major way other than momentarily taking me out of it. I can't find much to harp on this movie about (not that I'm looking.) Despite needing to fit into a very narrow period in the overall story of Star Wars, it felt less hamstrung and a hell of a lot more fresh than The Force Awakens.

#43 Edited by Fredchuckdave (10825 posts) -

Seemed great, a lot better than last year's movie (which was also pretty good); maybe looks almost as good as battlefront on the visual side since there wasn't as much emphasis on junk. They successfully made a movie about Star Wars with no Jedis and almost no Lightsabers. I might write up a review tomorrow. When's the sequel? Oh wait... Loose ends in a prequel? Fuck that, Death Starred. Think these imperials are bitches? Well we've got the actual ones here just to show you what's up. Asian man and Heavy Machinegun guy dying made me teary eyed, though Vader murdering people moreso.

As we left the theater there were professionally hired actors in bonafide Stormtrooper and Boba Fett outfits (complete with voice modulators); Fett was as tall as me in boots so hard to look down at my childhood hero; even for a cynical old bastard like me that got the feels going a bit. When's the Boba Fett movie?

Meanwhile there's a blizzard going on outside so I get to feel extra proud for braving the weather (and yet more respect for the actors), and now I get to play Final Fantasy XV some more which is probably going to be my non Blood and Wine GoTY since it fills the JRPG void for the first real time since the Last Remnant. Still not going to play Persona 5, eat it.

This shit is so much fucking better than Marvel holy shit *quietly denies having seen 6 Superhero movies this year*

#44 Posted by Evilsbane (5605 posts) -

@pkmnfrk said:

- And, what WAS the deal with the tentacle monster? The pilot was clearly... out of his mind in the jail, but makes a miraculous off-camera recovery! I guess you only go temporarily insane?

He seemed a little messed up for the rest of the movie, if you rewatch his scene before the tentacle monster he is missing a few quirks there, afterwards he has this weird delay to everything he does or what he verbally responds to.

Movie was fucking great, the first 10-15 minutes felt really messy and I missed the opening crawl and John Williams themes but once they got to Jedha it was a smooth ride to a kickass ending.

#45 Posted by atomicoldman (778 posts) -

When's the Boba Fett movie?

Josh Trank stepped down, causing Disney to pull an announcement from the 2015 Star Wars Celebration. According to Entertainment Weekly, it's been placed on the "backburner."

#46 Edited by jay_ray (1557 posts) -

The most expensive fan film ever made. And I mean that in the best and worst way possible.

• There are great scenes all of which are connected by a plot that is rushed to each point
  • Most of the characters and their arcs are poorly defined and do not earn their emotional triumphs
  • Darth Vader action scene is great, short, sweet, and shows why he is terrifying
  • The battle at the end felt like a proper war scene
  • Forest Whittaker is killed off for no reason
  • Blind warrior monk stereotype
  • C-3PO and R2-D2 cameo that puts them on Yavin and not the Tantive IV
  • Also why was the Tantive IV on the Mon Calimari Cruiser and not on the way to Tatooine?
  • Family relationship to give Jyn emotional agency so they don't have to actually earn it
  • Bad guy shows up where needed because a bad guy just does that
  • Super spy guy has change of heart and doesn't kill his target, also doesn't kill a major Empire commander because bad guy got to show up at end of the film to be killed by should be dead super spy guy
  • Giving a reason to a major Death Star flaw is great
  • Death Star doesn't destroy not one but two planetary bodies for reasons

I love the concept and there are great pieces in the film but I just feel the film overall missed too many targets.

Edit: I mixed up my planets and mistakenly stated the droids were on Endor earlier, I corrected the mistake.

#47 Edited by atomicoldman (778 posts) -

@jay_ray said:

• C-3PO and R2-D2 cameo that puts them on Endor and not the Tantive IV
  • Also why was the Tantive IV on the Mon Calimari Cruiser and not on the way to Tatooine?

The droids were on Yavin, not Endor, I'm not even sure how you could make that mistake since several scenes take place on Yavin before they even show up, some even right before. They're not shown boarding Tantive IV, but since they're in the care of the Organas and Leia is already aboard the ship during the battle for the Death Star plans, it's not unreasonable to make an assumption that they would be placed onboard before leaving.

Bail Organa mentions getting Obi Wan's help in so many words. Either the ship was merely passing by Tatooine on its escape route, or they were attempting to meet with Obi Wan after securing the Death Star plans. As for why their ship was docked on the Rebel flagship, I have no idea other than plot convenience.

Death Star doesn't destroy not one but two planetary bodies for reasons

They're both under imperial control. Jedha was attacked as a demonstration, and only after Imperials vacated the city. Vader doesn't seemed pleased with the attack either way. Scarif is attacked as a means of containing the Rebel's assault on their library. It's a real knee-jerk reaction, but that's the Empire. They don't go as far as destroying the whole planet, because a tremendous amount of Imperials are stationed there. It would hurt them more than it would hurt the rebels. So hey, that's some self-restraint I guess.

A New Hope also establishes that the full power of the Death Star had yet to be tested, it would be contradictory to that movie to show otherwise.

#48 Posted by beforet (3426 posts) -

A lot of the scenes felt rushed. They definitely ran through maybe twice as many plot points as a movie of this length would normally allow. But despite that I think I might have loved it? I can oddly appreciate how they just fucking went for killing every single new character. Space monk is my favorite. That ending scene connecting this movie to A New Hope was amazing.

I think we can all agree that this movie has redeemed the character that is Darth Vader, and re-established him as a terrifying force of nature, thereby undoing all of the damage left by the prequels. And he provided the single greatest line in this movie and all movies:

"Don't choke on your aspirations."

I didn't think Darth Vader making a motherfucking dad joke could fit so well, but James Earl Jones nailed it.

#49 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

This was a good movie. Felt faithful to the originals because it was an adventure movie through and through with nods along the side to the original films. I thought the characters could've been developed a bit more perhaps but otherwise enjoyed it.

#50 Posted by jay_ray (1557 posts) -

@atomicoldman: I meant Yavin not Endor, mixed up my Star Wars planets. The fleet was taking off and getting ready to go while the droids were just in the base. Also Bail Organa said the Admiral was already on his way to assist so while yes they got on the Tantive IV some how I don't see it matching up time wise in anyway other then it has to. And I guess they didn't want to explain/show Leia receiving the Death Star plans somewhere else away from a massive space battle which would have fixed my timeline problem with the droids.

The reason for not destroying Jedha outright is simply so they do not create a contradiction especially since Tarkin wanted to test the full power. Scarif I'd accept that the reasoning is probably because the fleet in orbit may be harmed now thinking about it.

The whole film just felt like everything happened because plot convenience which I will forgive a lot if, and only if, you provide believable character arcs which I don't feel Rogue One did. Characters behaved in a way so the plot can move forward as it was structured rather then the plot feeling organic and adapting to the characters in it.