#41401 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (2459 posts) -

Outside of some baffling segments, last night was a pretty good show.

#41402 Posted by turboman (9773 posts) -

Man, outside of the original named signees, AEW is getting fucking stomped by ROH by these bigger signings. If Andrade Almas decides he's done in WWE, it's hard to imagine him working for a promotion that doesn't have RUSH on it. Bandido is another huge name AEW missed on.

#41403 Posted by InternetDotCom (3988 posts) -

Just going to type

"Rush vs PCO"

#41404 Posted by Retris (406 posts) -

Just going to type

"Rush vs PCO"

This. 2019 seems to have the potential to be a great year for wrestling.

#41405 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (2459 posts) -

ROH is raiding the hell out of MLW right now.

#41406 Posted by Milkman (19249 posts) -

My first reaction to the Rush news was to feel bad for MLW. They've been hyping up Rush vs. Park for months now and have done a very good job doing it so it sucks that they had that huge money match snatched away like that, though Pentagon vs. Park is about as good a replacement match as you can hope for.

As for ROH, it can not be overstated how huge this upcoming MSG show is for them and it really should be no surprise they're going all in (lol). This is essentially their showcase to New Japan that this partnership is still the best place for them to be if they want to expand in the US. And so far, they've done a great job making that case. However, if and when that AEW TV deal news hits, that's going to change things a lot. Interesting times.

#41407 Edited by Fram (1840 posts) -

@dizzyhippos: I don't disagree with you. I've been months without the Network and don't really miss it, and a lot of the shit WWE does as a company is terrible. I have less willingness these days to deep-dive into the minutia of booking and backstage stuff of wrestling in general. I've started filming and editing shows for a local promotion here in Australia which is doing some pretty great stuff, and it has helped reinforce all the good things about wrestling that I love. WWE and others should absolutely be criticised and called out when they (frequently) wade into the shit; I guess I feel like there isn't much talk about the in-ring product to offset that.

#41408 Posted by dazzhardy (1445 posts) -

Yo, I will freely admit that I hate on the WWE a fair amount, but that's because I expect better from a company with that pool of talent.

Also, HOT DAMN THAT MATCH BETWEEN REY MYSTERIO AND ANDRADE (CIEN ALMAS) WAS HOT FIRE HOLY **** MORE LIKE THAT PLEASE!

#41409 Posted by xanadu (2029 posts) -
#41410 Posted by turboman (9773 posts) -

Mysterio and Almas just had a legit MOTY contender in the middle of Smackdown tonight.

#41411 Posted by Shiftygism (812 posts) -

If you're gonna blackmail someone, you probably shouldn't do it when you're on LIVE FUCKING TELEVISION.

Who approves this shit?

#41412 Posted by Retris (406 posts) -

If there is one wrestler I wish people stopped sleeping on in 2019, it has to be Jason Lee. He makes those strike combos look so effortless and mixes them seamlessly into springboard moves, and he's a great seller/bumper.

What are y'alls wrestlers who you hope get recognition in 2019?

#41413 Posted by Dizzyhippos (4521 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Fucking savage

#41414 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (2459 posts) -

Sounds like Revival will ride out their contract and they are out.

#41415 Posted by InternetDotCom (3988 posts) -
#41416 Posted by turboman (9773 posts) -

Now AEW just needs to set aside differences and get Jim Cornette involved as a manager and then we can have ourselves a feud that can last for a few years.

#41417 Edited by turboman (9773 posts) -

Filthy Tom Lawler has been pulled a show over WrestleMania weekend that was supposed to include Tom Lawler/Bryan Alvarez vs. Marko Stunt/PCO...

So... who signed Tom? Supposed to be announced on the Filthy Four Daily show tonight why he was pulled.

Edit: Also very important news: Matt Riddle's theme music is now available on Spotify.

#41418 Edited by Dizzyhippos (4521 posts) -

Boy that was not a great showcase of dijackogonnadrophalftheseletterswhenIgetcalledup

Hero is such a great heel.

AEW signed some guy named "jungle boy"

#41419 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (2459 posts) -

Revival asked for their release.

Rush is in ROH because New Japan told CMLL to tell Rush to go to ROH.

WWE is straight up offering double money for any deal in writing for wrestlers they want.

Dragonov is heading to NXTUK.

#41420 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (2459 posts) -

@dizzyhippos: Jungle Boy is actor Luke Perry's son. He has been on Janelle's shows and is pretty good.

#41421 Posted by Dizzyhippos (4521 posts) -
#41422 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (2459 posts) -

I'd say so. Problem is it sounds like they are granting no releases.

Ziggler has turned down a producer role with WWE. Maybe he's on the way out?

#41423 Posted by Kingpk (1390 posts) -

The only WWE castoffs AEW should go after is The Revival. They don't want to do what TNA did and sign ex-WWE lower card guys and expect fans to give a shit about them because WWE. Tye Dillinger and Mike Kanellis (hell, maybe even Ziggler at this point) are not moving the needle one bit.

#41424 Posted by Retris (406 posts) -

@kingpk: I would disagree on Bennett. The reason his run in WWE has not worked is that his gimmick is literally "the guy who wrestles like a WWE wrestler" and that doesn't really work if you're in WWE. He's good at getting heat in an indy environment with a limited skillset, similarly to Cody.

One person all the other companies must be salivating for is La Sombra. Even when WWE has completely bungled him on their roster, he's still having people talking about how good his matches are. He'll probably end up in ROH, given how Rush just signed (apparently at the behest of Almas).

Generally I'd think there are some wrestlers that have been misused by WWE and would do well in indies. But products of the WWE developmental system like Tye, Ziggler or Ryder? Definitely no. Just look at how Curt Hawkins' indy run went. He stank up the place everywhere he went.

#41425 Edited by Dizzyhippos (4521 posts) -

@retris: I mean Mikes gimmick in the WWE from day 1 was litterally "maria found him in a gift card shop and turned him into a wrestler" he was dead before his (awesome) music played.

#41426 Edited by cmblasko (2894 posts) -

@kingpk: In general I agree with you but then I look at how Juice Robinson has inexplicably become a huge star in NJPW and think maybe go for the low end guys just to see if someone pans out.

I would sign Ziggler and have him do 10 minutes of stand up comedy before every one of his matches. Instantly the biggest heel in wrestling.

#41427 Posted by Retris (406 posts) -

@cmblasko: You know, at this point I genuinely forget that Juice was in WWE. Same for someone like shitty Greg.

#41428 Posted by Aronleon (1192 posts) -

2019 has just started and Utami is here to tell everyone to step it up allready.

No Caption Provided

#41429 Posted by ht101 (2103 posts) -

I personally don't think WWE is scared of AWE. They have always kept people who are under contract through their duration. AWE has no TV announced and until I see more its a vanity project for Khan and that's all.

#41430 Posted by Kingpk (1390 posts) -

Anyone listen to Jericho's podcast about his move? It definitely feels like there is some resentment towards WWE and that he felt like he's done pretty much all he can do there, but he isn't burning that bridge because he still respects Vince and wants them to still be there if AEW flops. It certainly seems that the past year (and the buttering up Khan and Cody and everyone has probably given him) has stoked his ego and convinced him that this is a challenge worth taking. How he'll hold up against a more regular schedule and not just a handful of matches a year remains to be seen.

#41431 Posted by MeatSim (11190 posts) -

Here is your Wrestle Kingdom 14 main event.

No Caption Provided

#41432 Edited by turboman (9773 posts) -

The world can now rest easy now that Meltzer has watched Tanahashi vs. Omega on New Japan World. He's giving it a 5.75 star rating, which is up a whole 0.25 stars out of 5 from the original 5.50 star rating out of 5 he gave it last week from watching the show live in Tokyo.

#41433 Posted by cmblasko (2894 posts) -

@kingpk: Did not hear the podcast, but to me I get the pretty clear sense that it was Vince not wanting to work with him for the Jericho Cruise that really bothered him. After that happened it seemed like his attitude switched from "I only work for WWE in the west" to "I am open to any offer."

#41434 Posted by Kingpk (1390 posts) -

@cmblasko: You honestly aren't far off. The cruise is where he hit it off with Cody and the Bucks and Khan was the guy who provided the jet for Chris to do All In (after WWE wouldn't provide a jet for him to replace Shane at Mania). Although, him honestly thinking Vince would entertain IC champ Jericho vs. IC champ Rollins at SummerSlam is incredibly naive on his part, especially considering how long he's known Vince.

#41435 Posted by Dizzyhippos (4521 posts) -
#41436 Posted by Drakoji (388 posts) -

@dizzyhippos: Kenny looks like someone who cried and is super tired. The next months will be really helpful for him to recover I think. He had health issues since the G1 if I remember right.

#41437 Posted by dazzhardy (1445 posts) -

I've seen in multiple places, from multiple people and at multiple times "PENTAGON JR FOR MORTAL KOMBAT 11" and I've never wanted a guest character in any game more.

#41438 Edited by Dizzyhippos (4521 posts) -

@drakoji: Thats like the "running gag" with the NJPW roster, everyone comes out of the G1 hurt and they spend the back half of the year just recovering from that. Though if I recall correctly Kenny had injury issues before going into that even, something about his heel?

PSA: Impact on twitch starts 12~ minutes from me writing this.

Next time you want to complain about WWE belts, look at the Mattel toy that UFC is using now.

#41439 Posted by cmblasko (2894 posts) -
No Caption Provided

New UFC belt looks fucking cool.

#41440 Posted by hansolol (943 posts) -

I just read that one of the reasons Kushida is leaving is because he wanted to turn heel and join Bullet Club and Gedo wouldn't approve it. They should have let him do it, woulda been a huge surprise cause he always seemed to me like the kind of character that would be an eternal babyface.

Imagine, "Biff Club" shirts.

#41441 Edited by Dizzyhippos (4521 posts) -
#41442 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (2459 posts) -

Rey vs Almas two out of three falls announced for SmackDown.

#41443 Edited by Shiftygism (812 posts) -
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#41444 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3637 posts) -

Cody Rhodes reasoning for being against unions confuses me.

#41445 Posted by soulcake (2574 posts) -
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#41446 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (3637 posts) -

@soulcake: He says Unions would put wrestling out of business.

#41447 Posted by soulcake (2574 posts) -

@jonny_anonymous : That sounds like something a businessman born in the 1870 would say.

#41448 Edited by DarkeyeHails (564 posts) -

@soulcake: I'm interested in Cody's new gimmick of being a time travelling business magnate. I think there is potential there.

#41449 Posted by cmblasko (2894 posts) -

Is Cody really trying to hide behind the idea that independent promotions wouldn't work with unionized wrestlers? Pretty obvious that the calls for unionization are for the billion dollar companies like the one he is currently working as an executive for, not your local promoter pulling in 100-200 people a show.

#41450 Edited by Dizzyhippos (4521 posts) -
Loading Video...

WWE people are doing all kinds of silly Kayfabe shit on twitter in reguards to AEW like Sasha tweeting at Dawson to take her with them.

"Cut off my hair and use it to wash her feet"... the fuck is Rousey talking about?