The Wrestling Discussion Thread - AEW Dynamite This Wednesday

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man, "hardcore" wrestling does nothing for me, everyone seems to be digging the ppv so far and I'm sitting here bored. That hanging chair spot in the women's match was cool though.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That fucking main event was Katie Vick level stupid.

niko_of_death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Seth is legit in a worse position now than Roman has ever been. Like the reaction to him here was way worse than Roman winning the 2015 rumble.

He's fucking unsalvageable.

Two years in a row HIAC ends in a no contest too!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

If there's ever a Death of WWE documentary, that Seth/Bray match will be a prominent part of it.

JellyCube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are they still doing this DQ nonsense

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was watching reddit during that main event. I am sure it isn't the same people, but it was amazing to watch the trend shift from

• "oh my god, this is the scariest and most amazing intro ever" and "this lighting is so amazing and I love it" with a few heavily downvoted images from folk who were actually there to
  • "oh god, this is so great. The Fiend is just unstoppable" with a few people starting to get frustrated at all the no-selling and Seth continuing to cry in a corner to
  • people making fun of the cardboard hammer and Seth continuing to cry at the mere sight of it with defenders few and far between to
  • anger over something WWE already spoiled with their poll a few days ago and another case of not wanting to give The Unstoppable One the belt. And lots of people pretending they won't be watching Raw tomorrow

It is just the normal booking where Wyatt is the current hot thing and WWE are going to destroy everyone else in favor of him. But I am pretty sure Seth is going to need at least two strong heel runs before people forget how hilariously bad this all was (if any use of the term "buried" were appropriate, this would be it).

If I had to guess: Seth is joining the Wyatt Cult and is going to eat pins for Wyatt until Roman "rescues his real best friend" by becoming champion.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am at a point where if the roster is not demanding change, then I am done caring. Vince will never do anything based on what fans might consider good entertainment, so it's up to the roster to be the ones demanding change.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I have a feeling the Bryan and Vinny Show is going to be good tonight.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hansolol: That's the best part of bad WWE is great Bryan and Vinny shows.

Fortunately I work Sunday's now, so I'll gladly miss main roster PPVs and stick with NXT/AEW ones.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hansolol said:

I have a feeling the Bryan and Vinny Show is going to be good tonight.

Bryan was already pissed off BEFORE that main event.

niko_of_death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly baffled by everything in the main event. I don't understand why any of that happened. It's insane. People have already said it but this is late WCW levels of stupid.

DaShibuya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to go home and watch it. Had to cancel it because I was sick and needed to be at work kinda early, but this main event has me excited. I want trash fire kino.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#43067 ZombiePie  Moderator

Whelp... that ending sucked.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My friend who's studying in Japan just scored tickets for both days of Wrestle Kingdom. Proper jealous!

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

www.youtube.com/watch?v=idkImLkxSBc

Latest BTE is pretty interesting. Red-filter jab aside, it is kind of the transition from "fun mix of inside baseball and sketch comedy" to "supplementary content to an actual production". I wonder how long until it starts feeling less like "Ha ha, isn't wrestling stupid and awesome" and more "Our competition sucks".

The Kenny/Bucks/Page stuff was particularly weird. Opening was definitely kayfabe. The bit in gorilla during Riho's match was actually really sweet and awesome and I loved that Kenny went to go hug his friend briefly before jogging out after the Bucks. Then we had a weird bit where we clearly see Dustin waiting for his cue before going in to a kayfabe bit of drama with Page.

I wonder how much more BTE there can really be.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regarding the main event last night, if you overlook the dq, the cross the line bloody mandible claw, the stupid neck snap spot, the giant mallet, the stomp spamming, and the red lighting making the match unwatchable for many in attendance, what gets me is Seth quit going for covers as he progressed his variety of attacks while Bray laid still. Why would you freak out and up the ante if Wyatt isn't escaping three counts?

DaShibuya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I finally watched it.

I don't think the main event itself was bad, but that last ten minutes was completely and utterly baffling. The entire last part where The Fiend laid on the mat for five minutes, and then.. suddenly springs up, kills Seth, and puts him in that nothing of a Mandible Claw (which is Mick Foley's move). That was just.. the most flat, unsatisfying, nothing of a finale. At least in the past or even this past Smackdown, we at least get a definitive conclusion to a match. The only upside I would ever see to this is maybe The Fiend comes out tonight, and kills Seth, takes the title. Instead they kind of found a new golden goose with this character Bray did, and helped just fucking KILL momentum for it the second match in. Good on Vince. Fucking senior citizen ass carny shit.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wouldn't it have been simpler for Seth to win via no contest, then have Feind get back up after the match is over and kill Seth?

That isn't better, but at least it doesn't insult your intelligence.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 87

#43074 Marino  Staff

Wouldn't it have been simpler for Seth to win via no contest, then have Feind get back up after the match is over and kill Seth?

That's...basically what they did. No?

DaShibuya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43075  Edited By DaShibuya

Dio Madden keeps dropping all these /woo/ and /asp/ references. I'm fucking losing it.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't tried it yet, but someone made a Pro Wrestling AEW mod...

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4674/

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43077  Edited By Dizzyhippos

I am glad someone in WWE realized if Kairi is gonna be a heel she needed a makeover of some kind.

Also that Tyson Fury Braun brawl was lame. I've heard that Tyson is charismatic AF but I dont see it.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_: He didn't drop the hard R. No one will care.

He was, however, hilariously drunk.

I honestly don't understand what that means or why it would make it alright. Can someone contextualise this for me?

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkeyehails: It is an incredibly arbitrary distinction that generally is used to justify casual use of racial slurs by people "we like". The "Hard R" (think "Player" but an incredibly racist slur) is really bad but the "a" ("Playa", pronounced "Play-ah") is totally fine and, at worst, cultural appropriation of a self-deprecating racial slur

My understanding is that it mostly boils down to accents (?). If memory serves, Chris Rock used to do a bit (before he had the "The wrong people are laughing at this" realization) where african americans were cool because they said it with the "a" sound whereas stereotypical white (american) folk used the "R" sound.

It is a complete load of bullshit and in other venues I would probably have gone off on the person.

---

And on similar bullshit notes: Not content to rest with last year's guest wrestler just being a transphobic sandy hook truther, WWE have upped their game with Tyson Fury. If you want to get angry, go look up that guy's view on women. Makes Rousey look "not so bad" in comparison

Oy.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Rusev-Lana thing is GAAAAAAAARBAAAAAAAGE

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@marino said:
@roomrunner said:

That's...basically what they did. No?

That's my point. It's the DQ everyone is angry about. There is an easy solution to do everything they wanted to do without breaking everyones' brains.

The ref could have just went "Bray is dead, and cannot continue, Seth wins via KO/ref stoppage/no contest (whatever the term is)" rather than "Seth broke the rules of a match without rules; for using a weapon, after dozens of weapons have been used all night. He loses."

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just feels like we see this time and time again with the start of a new unstoppable character. They want them to be feared, but rush them into a title match they don't want them to win since they are also really invested in the champion. This time it was exacerbated by it being the Hell in a Cell PPV (which is something else that's lame) so they couldn't get away with a no contest/countout etc with the fans not getting angry.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43083  Edited By Gundato

@pdxsonic: I think a DQ/no contest style ending could be done with a HIAC match without too much problem

They just need to sell it. As it stands it seems like this came out of nowhere and it is particularly jarring that it was Triple H's signature weapon that got it stopped after every other weapon short of Jack Gallagher's umbrella had been used

Instead, they needed to work it into the story. Build up to the finisher spam and have both wrestlers start showing fatigue (harder for The Fiend character). Have the ref start getting involved sooner and bump up the "Guys, this is a wrestling match, not a street fight". Hell, maybe even have the ref stop the match at one point and have an official come out and say "This is Hell in a Cell. There are no disqualifications!". That is also a much better way to give both wrestlers a rest than having Seth cry in a corner. And it is a good way to preempt x-pac

And at the end of the match, take a page out of Liger's book: Don't use a hammer, use a spike (scissors?). Make it very clear that the match has now escalated beyond bludgeons and every finisher ever. And then have the ref frantically tap out the prone Wyatt or something (like they are doing the "are you still conscious?" thing but actually slamming his hand on the ground) and insisting the match is over.

Same basic ending, but now the entire story of the match is that they are going farther and farther and that this is no longer even a HIAC match. This is straight up murder.

And from a booking perspective: The Fiend never lost and he'll still no-sell and finger Seth. Seth seems completely unhinged for whatever storyline they were trying to tell. And it is the equivalent of a DQ (or even an outright DQ) that they "earned" by showing that this "is totally the most hellacious Hell in a Cell match ever". Even though it isn't.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toxin066: I dunno, I've been coming around on it after arguing about it. It solves a lot of problems, this gives Lashley a much needed mouthpiece, Lana something to do, and Rusev something that could propel him into a main event role if he's booked as strong as he was on Monday. Everyone could get ahead if this plays out right and the draft separates them until the Rumble...or a Survivor Series tag.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

They Are Really going for a throwback with the ring/set...and I think it works?

Also Jim Corrnet.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43086  Edited By turboman

@wikitoups: Yeah, I really dig the vibe of this show and it's completely different from the several thousand other options that are already out there.

The promo Tim Storm cuts before the main event is fantastic.

AEW Dark is pretty neat, but I don't know if it'll be a thing I need to see every week. The idea of NWA at 6:05, AEW at 7:00, and TNA at 8:00 every Tuesday is overwhelming.

niko_of_death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NWA Power was awesome, probably my favorite weekly show atmosphere right now.

Brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43088 Brian_  Online

If nothing else, NWA Power is currently winning the "best theme song in wrestling" war. I don't know why anyone is listening to Dokken in 2019, but thank you.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43089  Edited By Shiftygism

Dug NWA. They need to raise the main camera a bit though. Storm > Aldis. Eli Drake needs to ease back on the Austin impersonation. But yeah, good show starting out, love the oldschool presentation, and yes...the theme is fantastic.

I can't believe WWE didn't try something like this, if only as a goof, for Southpaw.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the first thing the idjits at 2K do after Yukes bolts, is remap reversals to the triangle button...ugh. Just because something has been the same way for two decades doesn't mean it's outdated.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dug NWA. They need to raise the main camera a bit though.

I said this last night. I think the idea is that it's the same angle as the old shows, but the ropes are definitely in the foreground and there's no reason not to do it except for nostalgia.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43092 redwing42  Online

NWA wasn't bad. Don't really care about any of the performers yet, but it was a fun change-up anyway. That interview area was maybe a bit too on the nose though. I feel like they could have kept the same vibe without the full on cardboard cut-out set. Rest of it looked good and Cornette was still pretty good on commentary.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43093  Edited By redwing42  Online

Caught up with AEW Dark as well, and thought that was a great show, maybe even better matches than the premier. I have a soft spot for the Hybrid2, but that match was a fantastic mess. Womens' match wasn't bad, though Ford needs quite a bit of work. Allin-Cima was also good. But, the closer was weak, as SCU doesn't really do anything for me, and neither does Marko Stunt.

niko_of_death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would you have a spencers gifts reject for your first world title defense, especially after such a weak inaugural contender in Page.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome matches from AEW and NXT tonight. Young Bucks vs. Private Party is as good of a tag match as you can ask for. Mox and Spears was a fun brawl, the visual of Kenny with the barbed wire broom stick was hilarious. Inner Circle seems cool. WALTER vs. KUSHIDA seemed really cool from what I watched from the overrun and Roddy vs. Swerve was also very good.

Both shows still have rough edges. The Best Friends/Orange Cassidy segment was lame and whatever the fuck the Velveteen Dream segment was is actively bad.

But still, great night of wrestling on Wednesdays.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#43096  Edited By Milkman

Week 2:

• Bucks vs Private Party was fantastic, the tag tournament is gonna be great.
  • Like Lio Rush but don't like hotshotting the cruiserweight title to him after 2 matches especially at the expense of Gulak.
  • Jericho's promo was great, he's one of the best ever, not that I need to tell you that.
  • Swerve vs. Roddy was very good but Dream's promos lately have been really bad, get the mic away from him for a while.
  • Darby vs. Havoc did not feel like a number 1 contender's match at all but glad Darby won, him vs. Jericho is a fun match up
  • People like the Forgotten Sons need to be off TV, absolutely no one gives a shit about these guys.
  • Mox vs. Spears was fine, the barbed wire bat vs barbed wire broom was dumb but hilarious.
  • WALTER vs. KUSHIDA was as good as WALTER vs. KUSHIDA sounds it would be.
  • AEW main event was chaotic fun, felt like an overbooked Attitude Era ending but in a good way.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43097  Edited By Dizzyhippos

@niko_of_death: Because Darby is awesome?

I guess Shotzi didn't sign, shes facing Kylie Rea and someone else at the impact PPV

niko_of_death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: Don't get why Forgotten Sons are any less worthy of TV time than the geeks in the #1 contenders match (not to mention the fact that they're not in a fucking world title #1 contenders match)

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43099  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Gotta say, Dustin and Hangman are a great tag team, shame Hangman is probably about to turn. For some reason Britt Baker is getting a title match next week. I guess she did techincally submit her last 2 opponents.

Loading Video...

Joey Janella wearing a Marlboro jacket in 2019 is very on brand.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43100  Edited By hansolol

Jericho's promo and that main event were great.

I really like how Dynamite--both this week and last--weaves together a bunch of different storylines and relationships in to one main event. You've got Darby/Jericho, Cody/Jericho, MJF/Cody, and the general Elite/Inner Circle feud all playing out at once.

@dizzyhippos said:

Hangman is probably about to turn.

I could definitely see this happening, classic 'babyface joins the heel he was feuding with' angle. I was thinking that Inner Circle needs the heavy numbers advantage so that at some point we get The Elite extending the olive branch to Moxley and/or Pac to help them even the odds.