The Wrestling Discussion Thread - AEW Dynamite This Wednesday

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

That lashing segment was a fantastic piece of character building for everyone involved.

And I love Yuka Sakazawi, hope she's on more.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@hansolol: Shes the TJPW champ right now so that might limit how available she is, but Shoko Nakajima is on dark next week against Riho.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#43753  Edited By Shiftygism

Yuka's got great ring gear.

Genie pants are always a plus.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

After today's earnings call, it's safe to assume that Barros and Wilson were fired due to the Network's performance.

I can totally see WWE selling off the PPV rights now.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@hansolol said:

That lashing segment was a fantastic piece of character building for everyone involved.

I seriously cannot believe how well that was done.

Like i was DREADING this segment. i was expecting it to be ripe with unwanted sexual tension and only be written to do one thing. Instead, a good chunk of the roster got involved, lots of characters worked well with the segment, it set up stuff, MADE SENSE, and most importantly it got me hype for the match!

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

AEW smartly posted the entire lashing segment to Youtube.

Loading Video...

This song is terrible and it made me realize Alexa Bliss was probably really into Bowling For Soup because they were famous 17 years ago and now I feel old.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

To whom it may concern

On the 2/6/20 episode of the B&V show, producer Ken’s ringtone interrupts the show and it is the Junes theme from Persona 4

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

if Byran knew what Persona 4 was he would call Ken a GEEK.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

These videos are always cut together so well. Plus Lance Storm and Mr. Miz is in it which is always great.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pdxsonic: that was fantastic! (it helps having just seen the source material)

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43761  Edited By Gundato

Caught up on a week of AEW:

Dark was awesome although I wish they had properly filmed the mixed tag match. Still, it is awesome that TK et al decided it was fine to at least broadcast on youtube since I found the match really fun. Nice balance of "Oh jesus christ that is kind of fucked up" and "ha ha, awesome". Mixed gender matches are nothing new but I think AEW did an amazing job of crafting a match to introduce the "grew up on WWE" crowd to it

Dynamite itself was pretty meh. Some good matches. I still don't care about basically anything Janella or Sabian or Spiers are in and that was a good chunk of time. The Elite VS Lucha Butcher Bunny was fun with good spots and some awesome character development. Not sure what is going on with Mox but his actual matches are still good and I can't wait for him and Jericho so whatever.

Could really have done without the whole lashing segment. Not because it was "brutal" or anything. Hell, it was less brutal than a lot of matches. It just went on for god damned forever and didn't advance anything outside of maybe confirming that Nightmare Collective really is done (yay).

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am extremely excited for Moxley vs Suzuki in about an hour.

It's a shame 90% of people in this thread only watch American stuff

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43763  Edited By Shiftygism

@sombre: If Impact had died like it should have, I still would be watchin' New Japan. They really need to get their asses in gear and make more of a push in the states with World, a better site and Roku support would go a long way. Also, while I enjoy their brand of wrestling more than any other and think Omega has been slumming it since leaving, I can't help but feel like I've seen a majority of the promotion's matchups several times over the years and I personally have to be in a certain mood to watch some of the hour long main events they put on. They're not as easily digestible as stateside wrestling in those respects. That and I just never found Okada to be that engaging. Super looking forward to Suzuki/Mox though, hopefully it'll wind up in the usual spots later on.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: I enjoy NJPW any time I feel like putting in the effort to find a youtube or deal with their site

But that is the thing. It is a lot of effort. I need to deal with poor UI/UX crap in Japanese, don't have a clean app if I decide to watch on anything other than a PC, and am generally too lazy to correlate the different shows/sub-shows to follow the overall storylines

Compare that to subscribing to a youtube channel or two and giving Sling 30 bucks a month while I keep hoping HBO Prime (or whatever it is) has TNT and Dynamite.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#43765 Milkman  Online

Some New Beginning in Osaka thoughts, specifically the top 3 matches.

Hiromu/Lee and Moxley/Suzuki were two of the most atypical New Japan matches I can remember seeing in a while. I can't recall the last time I've seen anything in New Japan quite like either one of these. Hiromu and Dragon Lee have faced each other so many times at this point that every match between them seems like an attempt to ratchet up the absurdity in some new way and they definitely succeeded here. You could have given me a thousand guesses of how this was gonna start and I never would have guessed a near 15 minute chop battle. A very different but great match for these two. Dragon Lee teasing the Dragon Driver a couple times but never being able to hit it made me think Lee is winning BOSJ this year and then using it to beat Hiromu for the title at Dominion.

Moxley vs. Suzuki also very much lived up to the hype. Suzuki was REALLY laying those forearm shots in on Mox and was very clearly having the time of his life in there. I'm sure there are some who are going to find this a little too goofy and be annoyed by a lot of the no-selling but I thought it was a ton of fun. The post match stuff was just as exciting as the actual match for me as well. I never expected a Sabre-Moxley feud was where New Japan was taking this next but I'm completely all in for it.

Then with the main event, we got the more typical New Japan match and unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed by it. The action really picked up in the last 10 minutes or so, especially when Naito got busted open but just when it started getting good, it was over. And it took way, way too long to get there. I'm not against the 30 minute main event NJPW formula at all (Okada and Taichi just had a great one last week) but this was paced way too slowly and there was way too much stalling in the beginning. I get that KENTA is a heel and he's suppose to be frustrating but there's a point where it goes too far and is just not enjoyable to watch. It speaks to a problem I've had with KENTA since coming to New Japan. His character work has been great and he's probably my favorite heel in wrestling right now but his matches almost always fail to live up to that character work. Not a bad match or anything but if Naito didn't get busted open, there would be no reason to remember it.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

Some New Beginning in Osaka thoughts, specifically the top 3 matches.

Hiromu/Lee and Moxley/Suzuki were two of the most atypical New Japan matches I can remember seeing in a while. I can't recall the last time I've seen anything in New Japan quite like either one of these. Hiromu and Dragon Lee have faced each other so many times at this point that every match between them seems like an attempt to ratchet up the absurdity in some new way and they definitely succeeded here. You could have given me a thousand guesses of how this was gonna start and I never would have guessed a near 15 minute chop battle. A very different but great match for these two. Dragon Lee teasing the Dragon Driver a couple times but never being able to hit it made me think Lee is winning BOSJ this year and then using it to beat Hiromu for the title at Dominion.

I liked the phase 2 choppa action. Somewhere, Ishii was smiling

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suzuki slapping the ever loving fuck out of that Young Lion after the match ended is that hardest I laughed this year.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a rumor from whatculture so big grain of salt, but there might be some stuff going on back stage at AEW over using people multiple times on the boat and some EVP tension over killing the Nightmare Collective (the right call) and using more Joshi.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hiromu vs Dragon Lee my early contender for MOTY so far.

I just love how they slapped the ever loving SHIT OUT OF EACH OTHER for like SEVEN MINUTES straight

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shayna Baszler's apparently a vampire now...wut.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried watching some Raw on a side window while playing games, and still couldn't last 20 mins.

Every segment is predictable, slow, and recycling the same angles over and over.

Going from that Orton segment, to Ruby/Liv (both doing the same exact 'WWE betrayal 101' shit), then a recap of Becky receiving a post-match attack and stealing an ambulance (???), it all felt like videogame story mode on randomizer.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roomrunner: I don't think it is even a randomizer

From what little WWE I have consumed/been aware of the past few years, it is just attempting to cash in on The Glory Days as it were. The past few months have definitely been attitude era "remember when we did springer shit all the time?" and they've ALWAYS relied on grabbing former wrestlers people liked to do twelve too many victory laps

Now we are at "Hey, remember that meme-ably stupid fight where they stole a police car or some shit? We sure do" levels of story telling

A friend was watching smackdown a few weeks back and just texted me "So... wrestling is some boomer ass shit, right?" (just with less punctuation and more emojis) and she is totally right. Maybe the derogatory term is a bit off (wrestling is definitely more millenials these days) but it is the exact same idea as having some fucking pilot named "Boomer" rescue people in that god awful Battleship movie. It is "hey, we think you are awesome and you used to think we are awesome so please watch" levels of crap

And it definitely isn't just restricted to WWE. The number of times I have grinned and said "WCW!! WOOO" to AEW is higher than it should be. Hell, The Elite/Bullet Club basically took off by just ripping off DX/NWO constantly.

Wrestling is weird and I genuinely wonder how many kids (post Cena) actually like wrestling and how many are just getting dragged along because their parents liked it.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again have to sing the praises of Excalibur and Tazz as a commentary team. They've actually become my GOAT team. Sure, I am partial because Excalibur has been my favourite commentator for almost two decades now, but what Tazz adds to the team can't be undersold. They've got such a good dynamic of referring to each other, with Excalibur doing the classic play by play of what's happening and Tazz giving analysis on why it's happening. They're also great at getting you into the match and making you understand the storytelling happening in the ring, usually I try to avoid English commentary but on Dark it's actually the opposite where I feel like the commentary gets me invested in matches I wouldn't normally care about. Finally, I love the way they genuinely seem to enjoy working with each other and seem to try to get each other to laugh with dumb comments, this is especially noticeable since JR seems to constantly be irritated by Excalibur's sense of humour.

Also, I'm here for Luther vs. Jimmy Havoc deathmatch feud

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teddy Hart has finally been arrested. For drugs and dealing only, but this is still good news.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris: Will he cut his "it's weed, it comes from a seed" promo for the judge???

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43777  Edited By Shiftygism

The trailer for the Fire Pro Stardom 2 pack dropped. Hopefully they put the first on sale when it releases... https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=OCIgRr4agxQ

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43778  Edited By Dizzyhippos

AEW was fantastic this week with only one minor miss. I never thought I would say that Nyla Rose had the best match on a Wednesday night but credit where its do shes gotten a lot better (and wrestling Riho helps a bunch).

I will say its weird though, I had both NXT and AEW on at the same time and nothing really stood out for NXT even though on paper they had a lot of bangers. (also this matt riddle thing might be too goofy)

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited to see NXT Takeover in person this weekend. Should be a solid, but not spectacular card given its spot before WM. Surprised that despite being a former wrestling town Portland hasn't had a PPV event since 2008.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43780  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Seeing a lot of conflicting opinions on the title change tonight... some are vaild...others are the worst.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dizzyhippos: It's not a competitive sport, and Nyla isn't even the size of Kong or Nia Jax, so there really shouldn't be an issue...not to mention to work with someone as tiny as Riho allowing her to pull off moves she really shouldn't be given the size difference shows what a tremendous worker Rose is. People are dumb.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43782  Edited By Dizzyhippos

@shiftygism: Oh I am fine with it, in fact its dope that a trans person is a major promotions champion. The understandable concerns were ones about how it was a somewhat random title change and it felt like Riho was still the best they have. Also a bit of a weird thing to do this close to a PPV, makes me wonder if Riho has some big STARDOM run coming up.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, holy shit people getting angry at Nyla. Wrestling is fucking fake, trying to pretend it isn't to justify your transphobia is fucking trash.

While I don't really like Nyla, she can be carried to a good match and she is a good monster. Her feud with Shanna was actually pretty darn good. Seeing Riho lose pretty unceremoniously without even a proper storyline was sad though. Hopefully they'll give women storylines now.

ALSO JEFF COBB IS COMING TO AEW! HOLY SHIT!

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nyla is their only monster right now, and they've speant a ton of angles on her already, so I'm all for a title run.

Anyone have audio of her running down Kenny backstage? TNT botched it again by putting it PiP

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roomrunner:

"I guess you notice me now, huh? All your base are belong to us, king."

Then to the women:

"Where's everybody at, huh? Got a few people over here! Where's the party? Jericho got a party! There was bubbly, there was grapes! Don't I get some bubbly? One grape or something? It's not over, it's just beginning! ... Huh, so that's how it is? All this disrespect that I've gotten in this company since I stepped here day one... now I'm the champ, handful of people here to greet me, THERE WASN'T EVEN ANY APPLAUSE"

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Riho a lot, but this opens up some good matchups, and Rose has the presence and skill level to make it a nice title run. Rose-Shida should be fantastic, maybe get Sadie Gibbs in there for a hoss fight, Yuka Sakazaki could be another good matchup, and of course Statlander to eventually take the belt.

I do wish they had shown the backstage promo with volume, though. Would have definitely helped.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In general the long term storytelling of AEW is starting to really pay dividends. Week after week we start to feel like we get to know this talent, and are on the path with them as opposed to just "here is another match I don't know."

One of the things I've personally felt too is AEW even handles romance better? Like the Janella vs Sabian/Ford stuff to me has worked, even though that wasn't on the show this week. Just in general it has been just goofy/campy enough to feel like it belongs in wrestling but not overdone or dramatic enough to feel like it's pure soap opera. I think in general a lot of credit has to be given to whomever is picking and choosing how to show angles and where to use them each week.

As for the Nyla title change from this week, I'm fine with it. I think they'll use it to build to something for Revolution, maybe a 3 way thing. I think the slow build on Britt is there but I think they save that for when she can beat their next big thing babyface for it and get huge heat. I think her not winning the title is probably better for now anyway. Nyla was built like a monster and each week they started learning how to leverage and use her better. It was a few weeks back now but she was in a four way match that I recall noting that was one of the better matches that night. Which in generally is pretty rare for 4 way matches of any caliber. If I remember they were basically using her as a wrecking ball ignoring the match and putting people through tables. She lost, but it was just an example of how they were more trying to use each persons style and approach to integrate that into the story of each match. Ultimately I think this Nyla title run could be pretty solid. Statlander or Shida would be who I'd be interested in most seeing her feud long term early I'd say.

Also, can we just say? PAC IS A STAR IN AEW. Like holy hell does AEW ever make him look like a star even when he doesn't wrestle. The video packages they have been running for him is better than his entire WWE run honestly. Another example of slow build clearly working. Him and Hangman Page, who is the babyface who has probably had the best longer term story and building are going to be huge deals in a year or so totally. The crowd is eating both of them up.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devise22: PAC is a star anywhere he goes though. Dude carried Dragon Gate after CIMA fucked them over and they were scrambling to build stars.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris: Fair, but I mean more of a big TV personality type star? Like in WWE he was a cruiser and even when he was booked strong on the indies off and on his character work just wasn't this detailed. Granted he's only been able to get better over time, so that is part of it. But another is just seeing him on a big stage, on TV, given pretty much just below the heel treatment that both Jericho and MJF in terms of screen time/promos and he's just nailing it.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff Cobb added to Retromania roster!

https://www.retromaniawrestling.com/news/jeff-cobb-added-to-retromania-wrestling-launch-roster

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43791  Edited By Shiftygism

🔥 Hot Take 🔥 ... The main event scene of NXT hasn't been (really) good since Joe moved up to the main roster. These horseshit overdone kickout of everything Gargano/Ciampa/Cole superman spotfests are beyond tiresome. Nothing means a gawd damned thing anymore, especially the turn tonight after all that nonsense.

Lee/Dijakovic was way more entertaining and they sold (nearly) everything accordingly. The tag title match, as always, was great fun. Looking forward to a rematch. Kai/Nox was better than expected, dozed off during Balor/Gargano so no comment, but mannn...I'm super bummed they had Bianca come up short again. Hopefully that cheapshot from Charlotte leads to her getting into a three-way with her and Rhea at Wrestlemania. She deserves it.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the only two nitpicks I have with this card are both of the interference finishes on the show. Having someone completely new interfere in a former best friends feud makes no sense. Nobody in the crowd knew who it was, in fact some were chanting "who are you" lol.

And the end of the Ciampa/Cole match made no sense. They gave Ciampa a clear visual pinfall, which would setup a rematch at Takeover Tampa, but then also have Gargano turn on him. I'm sure they will explain it on Wednesday, but for now it makes no sense. Also I didn't really need to see more Gargano/Ciampa, it was great but I'm over it.

Overall though, fantastic show with some great wrestling (Lee/Dijakovic or the Bro/UE match would be my MotM) and fun to be at for once. Hopefully its not another 12 years(!) before they bring another PPV to Portland. While it may not be the same as it was in the territory days, certainly can get a good crowd to show up.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw Sasha Banks ia gonna have a role of some sorts in Mandalorian season two. Interesting.

Also, going through the final season of Vikings right now, Edge really did a good job on that show. Too bad he didn't join until the tailend.

Brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43794  Edited By Brian_

Seems like Suda's Fire Pro story mode will be coming out on the 27th. Not really sure if that's just in Japan, or for the rest of the world too. The dialogue scenes in the video are all in English, so I'm not really sure if that means anything one way or the other.

Loading Video...

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43795  Edited By Shiftygism

@brian_: It would be nice if you could access those new wrestlers outside story mode, but seeing how they didn't allow it for Promoter, I doubt they will. Glad it's finally coming out, it took them long enough...though with the development team switch-up and them spending so much time updating the art for Promoter, it's understandable. Still, it was kinda lame they dropped all that extra dlc not included in the season pass (without even a discount) while we waited on Suda's story.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feels like they have somewhat nickle and dimed fire pro to death

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again a tremendous AEW Dark, Statlander is just phenomenal.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43798  Edited By Shiftygism

Kenny still wearing the same tights, which is really odd considering all the attires he had in New Japan. They're showing off the action figures as I type this, surprised his isn't in the silver/yellow outfit he's always rocking.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43799  Edited By Dizzyhippos

AEW was a fun show from top to bottom, had some weird pacing issues but between cody being out of his mind and Sammy G's soul evacuating his body it more then made up for them.

Meanwhile on NXT... it continues to be NXT, they keep recycling the same programs that they have been doing for like 3~4 takeovers now. Also hot take Kayden Carter should not be on TV, what I am about to say literally happened on TV. A bad match between Carter and Green was happening, Bianca ran in... the earth revolved around the sun she cut a promo, the bad match continued and Green won with maybe the worst finish in WWE since the Overdrive was a thing. Also as much as people love Lee vs Dijack I cannot believe they are going back to it AGAIN.

Also Dream (WHO IS A BABYFACE) took off his pants to show a second pair of pants that had Roddy's wife face on the front and back with her mouth over his crotch and hole, I swear to god this is a thing that actually happened.

No Caption Provided
Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dizzyhippos: Yeah, but if Dream had Cheryl Roberts' face on his tights it'd be weird. I've been focused on AEW during his return segments, is he a full-fledged babyface or is he a tweener? There's been faces that do dastardly things. Hell, Rude himself probably would've still kept up his antics as a face. Dream seems like a guy that would walk a fine line.