thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thebatmobile

Hey fellow bombers.

Me and my girlfriend are going to Amsterdam in december and we're looking for some inside tips as to what you should do there. Are any of you from Amsterdam and could tell us what we shouldn't miss? It's always best to get the inside scoop when visiting a new city.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By iam3green

go to a pub.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By tim_the_corsair

if you're game, the more...exotic...live sex shows are a hoot (depends on how easy going you both are).

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Sleeping.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Contro

I'm a frequent visitor. If you have any interest in art, I'd definitely go to the Van Gogh Museum (check out the "Beanery" there) and Rijksmuseum, which has some great works of modern art and some fantastic examples of sculpture. You also need to take the customary tour around the canal system, it's a touch expensive but well worth it. You won't get the full experience without it. I'd also use bicycles whenever possible, they're cheap and a great way to get a feel for the city. Be careful at night though, the trams are silent and can creep up on you if you're drunk or mildly stoned.

I would get totally engrained in the culture there, the people are amazingly friendly and speak great English. The main square is a good place for meeting locals who are always open to conversation. If you're smokers and wish top dabble safely, Kerkstraat has five coffee shops in a row, which is ideal if you're planning a little bender. Amsterdam has many great coffee shops. there are guides for them all over the place. Vondel Park is great for mushroom lunches and picking flowers in the Spring and Summer, but it wouldn't be much fun in this cold.

Check out the red-light district for lols, but stay away from "Pill Bridge".

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

In De Wildeman is a nice little bar with a coffee shop literally across the street. Lovely place.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vodun

@Contro: @dekkadekkadekka: I thought coffee shops were off limits to foreigners these days.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Contro

@Vodun said:

@Contro: @dekkadekkadekka: I thought coffee shops were off limits to foreigners these days.

Not yet, early next year from what I hear. The current government are trying to make it so that you have to be a Dutch national in possession of an ID card to use such coffee shops (1500 members per shop, is unworkable), but the law hasn't been passed yet and there's been a flood of criticism from all quarters. If it is passed and enforced, it will be hilarious to watch how their tourism numbers fall drastically, and bare witness to the level of criticism the government will face. It's destined to be a big, "we told you so".

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thebatmobile

@Contro: @dekkadekkadekka: Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to check these places out.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By inkerman

I've been once, saw a sex show and then made the mistake of eating 3 brownies...I was high for the next two days and saw nothing else of Amsterdam. So I guess don't do that. Or maybe do.

Jazz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jazz2

If you've read Anna Frank's diary of saw the film, you should visit the Anna Frank house. It was a really striking experience for me.

soolmaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By soolmaan

Hey Bat, I'm from Amsterdam. I should say that Contro knows his way around. Van Gogh, I'd recommend above the Rijksmuseum, if you're going to choose. The main square he's talking about (I assume) is called the Dam/Dam Square. Restaurants and Cafe's are everywhere, but I'd recommend Koh-I-Noor (small Indian restaurant, near Dam Square) not cheap though... Basically the shopping center (Red Light District not included) lies within a triangle of three Squares (or Pleinen as we call them): Dam Square - Rembrandt Square - Leidseplein (Leidse Square?) - there is a good Thai restaurant near Rembrandt as well. If you're into movies, then the Tuschinski Theater (also near Rembrandt) is something you might like to see, they restored the place to its original state. Be sure that the movie you want to see runs in Room 1 though, because this one has the most authentic feel of the cinema/theater. Near Leidseplein you have Music theaters (Paradiso and Melkweg/Milky Way) if you're into bands and/or dance. There's also some stand up comedy near the Leidse. Boom Chigago runs there, I think they always talk in English. Have Fun and Welcome!) Soolmaan

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Dagbiker

If you go to see the vangogh mu

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Dagbiker

If you go to see the vangogh museum be prepared to wait in a long ass line or buy a pass.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Red12b

the city of sin is a pity on a whim. Good girls gone bad, the cities filled with them

@Contro said:

@Vodun said:

Not yet, early next year from what I hear. The current government are trying to make it so that you have to be a Dutch national in possession of an ID card to use such coffee shops (1500 members per shop, is unworkable), but the law hasn't been passed yet and there's been a flood of criticism from all quarters. If it is passed and enforced, it will be hilarious to watch how their tourism numbers fall drastically, and bare witness to the level of criticism the government will face. It's destined to be a big, "we told you so".

heh, yeah, good thing I'm from Dutch descent then aye? Going to get a Dutch passport when I go round Europe, going to wait until shit sorts itself out tho...

Definitely go by bike, flat ground amazing architecture, My dad tells me of places to go but i've forgotten about them,

I'd go around where the City walls used to be, Check out the Waag

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By buzz_killington

Bro.... roll up a fat joint! It's 420 everyday in Amsterdam.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Revan_NL

@Red12b: What do you mean exactly, when you say that you're from Dutch decent? If you're born and raised in the US you can't just get a Dutch passport.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Red12b

@Revan_NL said:

@Red12b: What do you mean exactly, when you say that you're from Dutch decent? If you're born and raised in the US you can't just get a Dutch passport.

My father's from Amsterdam, My mother's a kiwi and I was born in Australia, I'm an Aussie Citizen with an Aussie Passport, but I'm also a New Zealand Citizen, as I grew up, went to school and work here, And when I go over to Europe I will apply for a Dutch Passport and I'll try to get Dutch Citizenship under my father, all i'll need is my Birth Cert stating who my father is, and I'll sort all that out with the Dutch Embassy,

Gotta love being a mongrel

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Sounds like I would hate Amsterdam..

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Revan_NL

@Red12b: Well, Immigration law isn't really my strong suit, since it has only been slightly touched upon during law school, but it was my impression that in order to get a Dutch passport, even if you're father is Dutch you'd have to live in the Netherlands (for at least five years). But again, immigration law isn't my specialty

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By laserbolts

Get high and bang some whores.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By swoxx

@buzz_killington said:

Bro.... roll up a fat joint! It's 420 everyday in Amsterdam.

It took way too long for this to get said, for shame GB community, for shame.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mac_n_nina

if u smoke definitely check out the coffee shops

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BlinkyTM

I don't think the "Red Light" district would be suitable for a guy and his girlfriend. Maybe I'm just out of loop when it comes to cool things to do with your girlfriend. :P

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Buscemi

Don't go, I went and thought it was pretty lame. I mean, once you get over how "cool" it is with the weed and prostitutes, yeah because that's totally badass, then it's just another big city.

blalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blalala

I'd say bring a thick jacket, because it's going to be cold, also, maybe you can tell us what you like to do, maybe we'll have some more specific stuff for you then..

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By metal_mills

Drugs and hooker window shopping.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@BlinkyTM said:

I don't think the "Red Light" district would be suitable for a guy and his girlfriend. Maybe I'm just out of loop when it comes to cool things to do with your girlfriend. :P

I definitely wouldn't take my girlfriend to exotic sex shows, red light districts and the like.

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Neferon

@Contro said:

The current government are trying to make it so that you have to be a Dutch national in possession of an ID card to use such coffee shops (1500 members per shop, is unworkable), but the law hasn't been passed yet and there's been a flood of criticism from all quarters. If it is passed and enforced, it will be hilarious to watch how their tourism numbers fall drastically, and bare witness to the level of criticism the government will face. It's destined to be a big, "we told you so".

I'm dutch and I disapprove of this proposal. As do most dutch people as far as I know. It's just bound to fail.

More on-topic! Amsterdam, it is in many ways just another big city. Things most foreigners enjoy are pretty much what Contro said. Just pick whatever you like. And yes, you can just speak english to dutch people :)

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Neferon said:

@Contro said:

The current government are trying to make it so that you have to be a Dutch national in possession of an ID card to use such coffee shops (1500 members per shop, is unworkable), but the law hasn't been passed yet and there's been a flood of criticism from all quarters. If it is passed and enforced, it will be hilarious to watch how their tourism numbers fall drastically, and bare witness to the level of criticism the government will face. It's destined to be a big, "we told you so".

I'm dutch and I disapprove of this proposal. As do most dutch people as far as I know. It's just bound to fail.

More on-topic! Amsterdam, it is in many ways just another big city. Things most foreigners enjoy are pretty much what Contro said. Just pick whatever you like. And yes, you can just speak english to dutch people :)

English is your 2nd language?

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Neferon

@Still_I_Cry said:

Yep :)

*EDIT* Wait, I think I may have misunderstood. English is not the national 2nd language of the Dutch. We just get it taught in our schools and most english media we get is subtitled rather than dubbed.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Neferon said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

Yep :)

This makes me feel sad but you actually type it better than some people who type English when it is their first language.

I'm not saying this to be a kiss-ass or anything. It just isn't obvious it is your second language. So I was somewhat surprised.

Response to Edit - No, you understood me correctly :D

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thebatmobile

We're going there mostly for the architecture and art, as well as some vintage/second hand shopping. Those of you saying that it's just "another big city" must be very boring individuals.

Cheers for some of the information though!

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Neferon

@thebatmobile said:

Those of you saying that it's just "another big city" must be very boring individuals.

A difference of perspective I guess. Anyway , enjoy your stay. If art and architecture are your main interests, then Amsterdam should not disappoint. :)

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EVO

Shrooms?

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By habster3

Well, weed is legal there... and there's a LOT of it

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Still_I_Cry

@BlinkyTM said:

I definitely wouldn't take my girlfriend to exotic sex shows, red light districts and the like.

my fiancee suggested it.

But then again, we're both pretty open minded.
BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BlinkyTM

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Still_I_Cry

@BlinkyTM said:

my fiancee suggested it. But then again, we're both pretty open minded.

Well, since Giant Bomb is being retarded and decided not to post my well thought out response I'm just going to say I don't think it has to do with whether or not you're "open/closed minded."

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Eh... Smoke weed?

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Still_I_Cry

@BlinkyTM said:

I don't think that can be defined as "open mindedness". I would say that it is more along the lines of "different tastes".

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@BlinkyTM

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Still_I_Cry

@BlinkyTM said:

Well, since Giant Bomb is being retarded and decided not to post my well thought out response I'm just going to say I don't think it has to do with whether or not you're "open/closed minded."

prudish?
Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Contro

@Neferon said:

@Contro said:

That's good to know :).

As much as I like Amsterdam, I actually prefer Rotterdam, there's something about that place that really appeals to me a great deal, but I'n not entirely sure why. I know the people are a big part of the reason though, I've had some fantastic weekends there.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MikkaQ

I forgot the name of their zoo, but I remember really liking it. Of course, I DID visit a coffeeshop before hand, but no matter. It's a pretty good zoo, some really neat looking habitats set up and a pretty good amount of animals. The only sad thing was seeing a massive Lion pacing around a small enclosure. He seemed really unhappy. But the rest of the animals were well treated.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Contro

@XII_Sniper said:

I forgot the name of their zoo, but I remember really liking it. Of course, I DID visit a coffeeshop before hand, but no matter. It's a pretty good zoo, some really neat looking habitats set up and a pretty good amount of animals. The only sad thing was seeing a massive Lion pacing around a small enclosure. He seemed really unhappy. But the rest of the animals were well treated.

That would be Artis Royal Zoo, it's a short walk from Dam Square.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikkaQ

@Contro: Yes, thank you. That was it.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TyrellOCP

Get stoned. Fuck a prostitute. Get stoned. Have whatever the prostitute gave you cut off. Get stoned. Go to the Anne Frank museum completely wasted. Have customs cavity search you when you try to smuggle drugs back home.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By CastroCasper

First, look at the green

Then, smoke said green,

Then, trip out over the fact that your high in Amsterdam

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fini_fly

Get high and eat at Febo.

dirkfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dirkfunk

Well. . . there are always the goofy canal boat tours where they give you cheap wine (With a twist off cap) and peanuts.

You can tour the Heineken brewery and then go to the weird English style pub on the outskirts of the RLD, and watch some football with the weird little terrier dog they have running around that place.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ImBigInJapan

@dekkadekkadekka said:

In De Wildeman is a nice little bar with a coffee shop literally across the street. Lovely place.

I stayed just down the street from there. I discovered Orval there... I owe it a lot!

And really - if you go to Amsterdam, by all means smoke up a bit but don't go just to get totally stoned. There's so much more to see and do than that. That's a total waste of a trip.

PS I'd spring for one of the canal tours but would suggest one of the nicer trips. There are some decent dinner cruises out there that with some nicer atmosphere.